SHSL Danganronpa Topic ~ DR3 Announced

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Got DR;AE?

Yes!
33%
Not yet, but I want to!
22%
Nope.
44%

Total votes: 9

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: SHSL Danganronpa Topic ~ AE Japan Released

Post by kwando1313 »

Yeah, it's confirmed. I'll update the OP when I get home from work.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Re: SHSL Danganronpa Topic ~ AE Japan Released

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

GuardianDreamer wrote:I apologize that you had to go through the awfully translated version.
*insert long rant about how SDR2 has far more problems than the localization and the ending here*

koopajames offered an interesting defense for how two particular members of the surviving cast were written (And I think it might apply for a third too), but I'm not really on board with it
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

Re: SHSL Danganronpa Topic ~ AE NA Release Confirmed!

Post by TheDoctor »

Just finished DR2 a few days ago. The mystery content was much improved for the most part, as in, I didn't have the majority of the cases already solved before getting to the class trial. 2-5 was particularly good in that regard, although the resolution to that case almost made me ragequit.

The only thing that really bugged me about most of the trials was that, 90% of the time, I knew exactly which bullet to use before the debates even started, and the other 10% of the time, the answers were too vague to make any sense within the time allotted (special mention goes to one instance in case 2).

Character-wise, I mostly preferred the DR1 cast over the DR2 characters, with the exceptions of Mahiru, for being the most arguably "normal" character in the series, and how she seemed to be more of a person first and a photographer second, unlike most of the other DR2 characters who had it flipped around; Fuyuhiko, who has some of the best character development in the series; and Gundham, simply because he's just that awesome.
Image Image Image
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

So here's a weird thing. The game was dubbed by NIS America, but the anime is licensed by Funimation. Since Funimation has to rely on a different pool of VAs mostly centered near its Texas headquarters, the dub for Danganronpa: The Animation is going to feature an almost ENTIRELY different voice cast from the video game!

Here's the cast announcement!

With the exception of Papenbrook reprising his role as Naegi (imagine if he couldn't do it, we'd totally get Haberkorn as Naegi) we have a completely different cast here. I don't know how some will work (I know little of Bevins [Hagakure], Tindle [Ishimaru], Seidel [Celestia], etc.) but some honestly sound like they'd be as good if not better than in the games (Sabat as Mondo, Marchi as Junko, Glass as Kirigiri, Grelle as Togami, Rial as Maizono) and the script's by J. Michael Tatum (who wrote the dub scripts for stuff like Steins;Gate and Attack on Titan) so I'm interested in how it'll turn out. Sounds like a solid cast, just...so weird to see two different casts. Also Greg Ayres as Monokuma geeze curious how THAT one will turn out.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

obviously greg ayres should just do leo's voice and call it a day
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Caitlin Glass as Kyouko? I'm getting a little excited about this now. And since it also lacks Brian Beacock as Monokuma, I definitely want to see how everything sounds now (his voice was the only reason I switched from English voices to Japanese on my DR2 playthrough).
Image Image Image
Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

Post by Sligneris »

Does someone have a full English tracklist of SD2 soundtracks?
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

..They're the same songs... why does the "English" matter?
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

I think he means like, with english translated titles. Which seems pretty easy to find.
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

gotMLK7 wrote:So here's a weird thing. The game was dubbed by NIS America, but the anime is licensed by Funimation. Since Funimation has to rely on a different pool of VAs mostly centered near its Texas headquarters, the dub for Danganronpa: The Animation is going to feature an almost ENTIRELY different voice cast from the video game!

Here's the cast announcement!

With the exception of Papenbrook reprising his role as Naegi (imagine if he couldn't do it, we'd totally get Haberkorn as Naegi) we have a completely different cast here. I don't know how some will work (I know little of Bevins [Hagakure], Tindle [Ishimaru], Seidel [Celestia], etc.) but some honestly sound like they'd be as good if not better than in the games (Sabat as Mondo, Marchi as Junko, Glass as Kirigiri, Grelle as Togami, Rial as Maizono) and the script's by J. Michael Tatum (who wrote the dub scripts for stuff like Steins;Gate and Attack on Titan) so I'm interested in how it'll turn out. Sounds like a solid cast, just...so weird to see two different casts. Also Greg Ayres as Monokuma geeze curious how THAT one will turn out.
I think it's worth noting that Funi didn't even bother to ask the game VAs if they wanted to be in the anime, mostly. Which really irritated a lot of fans, and I can definitely see how it would be a slap in their face. But given how I didn't think the game's voice acting was all that great, I don't mind changes that much.

I think Rial could make a good Maizono, but I'm kinda tired of her voice and sick of her being in pretty much every Funi dub ever, so I wish they'd gone with somebody else. Marchi'll do fine as Junko, though I really liked the Amanda Miller/Erin Fitzgerald combo in the game- it was pretty much the only casting choice aside from Papenbrook that I didn't end up disliking. I'm not sure Glass was a good choice for Kirigiri- I'm not sure she has much experience with more... restrained and stoic characters, but she's a good VA so hopefully she'll do an okay job. Ayres as Monokuma is a very... interesting choice. I think it could either go really well or really horribly, so we'll see how it plays out.

In terms of VAs you don't know, I've never heard Tindle and pretty much only know Bevins from his ADR work (he was a bit part in the Shiki dub but the character's name and appearance don't ring a bell so I have no clue how well he did). But I do recognize Lindsey Seidel- She was Ruka in the Steins;Gate dub and one of the minor characters (Thunderoad) in the Rolling Girls dub (as well as Akiho in Robotics;Notes), and she was good in both of those roles so she'll probably do a good job here.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
Topaz
Spoken languages: English, 日本語

Post by Topaz »

https://twitter.com/PlayStation_jp/stat ... 1364300800

DANGANRONPA V3 ANNOUNCED.

AND THERE'S GONNA BE A SPIN-OFF GAME OR NEW SEASON OF THE ANIME TOO.

WOO.
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

That trailer was... A thing, yeah.

>_____>

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Sleuth

Re: SHSL Danganronpa Topic ~ DR3 Announced

Post by Sleuth »

I can't wait to see how Junko's ghost possessing an animatronic suit is behind this all.
TheDoctor

Re: SHSL Danganronpa Topic ~ DR3 Announced

Post by TheDoctor »

Just saw the two episodes of the anime dub that just came out. Gotta say, I usually have trouble switching from sub to dub when I've heard the sub first, but I'm actually sold on this one.

First, it seems at least half of the voice actors are taking a cue from Danganronpa Abridged Thing, so that's automatically a plus. About the only voice that seems off is Oogami's. They also seem to have kept the students on a last name basis, so that should satisfy those who preferred it that way. Although, seems no one can pronounce Naegi to save their lives.

Loving Monokuma's characterization though. Particularly how they drop all pretense of him being cute and cuddly (a mistake the video game dub was majorly guilty of, imo). His "No, I'm not a high tech Build-a-Bear reject" and "You gonna impale me with that pompadour?" lines sold me on the localization. I mean, Danganronpa isn't exactly Citizen Kane as far as the storytelling goes, so I'm all for the dub making it a black comedy (assuming that's their intention, need to see more to be sure).
Image Image Image