SHSL Danganronpa Topic ~ DR3 Announced

Discuss video games from Pong to Call of Duty, including Ace Attorney games.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Got DR;AE?

Yes!
33%
Not yet, but I want to!
22%
Nope.
44%

Total votes: 9

Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Re: SHSL Danganronpa Topic ~ SDR2 English Released

Post by Gumpei »

Spoiler : SDR :
the moral of the story is that gamer girls don't exist
Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Evo »

Spoiler : DR2 :
Sonia was supposed to make you think she's the mastermind? oO
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Evolina deLuna wrote:
Sonia was supposed to make you think she's the mastermind? oO
tbh I thought she was kinda suspicious when she magically knew the explosives in ch5 weren't real

(and then ch6 happened)
Reverie
Spoken languages: English

Post by Reverie »

k, so, finished the game and went back and read BP and Kwando's spoilers.
Which I pretty much agree entirely with.
Spoiler : wtf :
But... any person being the mastermind would've been better...
It wasn't an AWFUL ending, and I agree with a lot of what Swagma said, but... they could have just made Chiaki the mastermind or something and it would have been way better.
I honestly though Sonia's character was supposed to make you think that she was the typical "level headed" one, and then make her a sheltered, inept fangirl to subvert it. I never really considered her as the mastermind...

Also, Komaeda's plan in case 5 is now the best murder/case/crime I've come across. So that's pretty good, in any case.
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Spoiler : SDR, whole game :
It's not just DR-5, basically they go out of their way to make Sonia suspicious in almost EVERY single case.

SDR-2: The mascot that Sparkling Justice uses as their mask is based on a character that originates in Sonia's home country, and the language Sparkling Justice speaks is Spanish, which Sonia knows
SDR-3: Sonia basically gave Saionji the death sentence by sending her to the location where Tsumiki was killing Ibuki
SDR-4: It's more of a matter of timing than anything, but the way that they mention that Sonia didn't hear the sound seems to me like they were trying to implicate her with it.
SDR-5: As BP mentioned, she knew the bombs weren't real, she didn't want to go back with Hinata, she wasn't where she was supposed to be... when you talk to Sonia after the investigation starts it pretty much sums up why everything she did that chapter is suspicious.

I'm of the opinion that the roles were the first things assigned to the characters in SDR-1: i.e, Teruteru was C1 killer, Koizumi was C2 victim, etc etc. The problem is they tried way to hard to FORCE them into these roles when it simply didn't work, which is why so many characters don't feel properly resolved before their death. This even leaked over into the surviving cast: Sonia's character isn't just an active hindrance to the plot, it's an active hindrance to the characters: Primarily Souda's. As long as Sonia was kept alive, Souda's character was never going to budge one inch: Instead of being the most relatable person in the cast, he was stuck being the guy hopelessly in unrequited love with Sonia. And that was fine, but it's ALL they ever did with him, and his character really suffered as a result. And again, it's all because of their poor decision of forcing Sonia to stay alive instead of either doing something with her character besides being a suspicion magnet or killing her off to develop Souda's character and maybe even her own depending on how they did it.

Another comment I'd like to add is that I don't feel SDR is all that dissimilar to GS5: SDR has great characters and mysteries just like GS5, but rather than the plot being boring and formulaic like GS5's was, SDR's plot is just messy and brings poor closure to most of it's cast, in very sharp contrast to it's predecessor.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Mono
Spoken languages: German, English

Post by Mono »

Can I ask why Gump doesn't like "that thing from SDR2-2" I kinda wanna know
Ami

Post by Ami »

Okay, I'm working on a huge (even more than this) post regarding the fighting game idea I had. So far, I have this. What do y'all think? My vision is something that's approachable to Visual Novel fans with all the unlockable bells and whistles they like and simple controls, but allow for advanced gameplay for hardcore fighter fans.

Despair: The more the character defends, loses health, gets debuffs, and uses basic attacks- the more the gauge fills. Higher despair results in higher strength, but less ability to guard. Max despair results in ability to activate NEGA TIME, where health and the despair gauge drains in return for an extreme burst of power. When the despair gauge (or health gauge) drains, all Nega Time ceases and all bonuses revert.

Hope: The more the character dodges, heals health, gets buffs, and uses techniques- the more the gauge fills. Higher hope results in higher defense, and better ability to guard. Max hope results in ability to activate FEVER TIME, where health and hope gauge continually drain, in return for immunity to damage.

Grit: If both despair and hope gauges are completely full, the play can activate WILL POWER. Both hope and despair gauges continually drain, healing health over time and damaging nearby combatants.

Execution: May replace Grit system, may be its own entity. Either way, it's a special move with a cinematic that deals heavy damage. Or it could be just a fatality rip-off.

Items/Stage Hazards: Since the game often has improvised murder methods involving locations and items, would these work, or would it be too much like Super Smash Bros.?

Monokuma Coins/Keys: Monokuma Keys are earned through completing certain tasks to unlock very specific rewards. Like beating the BTB mode with Maizono would unlock her pop idol flashback outfit with that Monokuma Key earned. Playing through any mode other than training mode allots Monokuma Coins to unlock content such as voice clips, game art, etc.

Character: Exampley McExample, aka Monica R. Nombre
SHSL: Example
Melee Strength: 1-5
Missile Strength: 1-5
Defense: 1-5
Focus: 1-5
Speed: 1-5
Vertical Ability: 1-5
Size: Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large
Basic Punches: Lo Med Hi
Basic Kicks: Lo Med Hi
Aerial Punches: Lo Med Hi
Aerial Kicks: Lo Med Hi
Grapple: Lo Med Hi
Counter: Melee Aerial Grapple Missile
Technique 1: Description
Technique 2: Description
Technique 3: Description
Special Traits/Dev Notes: Description, if any.
Support Traits: Description of ability given while benched in doubles.
Execution: Description
Costumes: Normal, Hope's Peak Uniform, Gym Uniform, Swimsuit, Kimono/Utaka, Towel, Special 1 & 2 (outfits relevant to the character, like baseball uniform flashback Leon Kuwata, or pop idol flashback Maizono). All but "normal" must be unlocked.
Unlockable?: y/n

Modes:
- Despair Life: Story Mode, three to five characters from each game fought, then Monokuma, then mastermind DR1, then mastermind SDR2.
- Social Life: Mission Mode. Play different characters or sets of characters platforming to complete tasks, or fighting under specific conditions (usually handicaps).
- Trial Life: Puzzle Mode. Solve mysteries as different characters and puzzles to deduce the killer (and thus, who you will fight). Correct guesses with evidence provide bonuses, incorrect guesses are punished with handicaps. Each character has 3 scenarios with 5 cases.
- World-Wide Life of Mutual Killing: Versus mode, local and/or online. Can be singles or doubles.
- Rhythm Life: Bullet Time Battles using several tracks from the game's history remixed.
- Studying Life: Training mode, for singles or doubles.
- Gallery Life: All characters with their profiles detailing everything listed in their report cards, their stories, all voice clips, unique game art, game vids, etc. Also able to view all sprites from the previous games, and also be able to move your camera around every character model (and do so while the model does short movement macros). Content has to be unlocked.
- Theater Life: Possibly for putting in episodes of the anime? Episodes have to be unlocked.
- Crossover Life: Basically Class/Island Life, but with the player being able to date/friendship sim all characters. Most characters will have friendship and romantic endings, but some will only have one or the other. Has to be unlocked.
- The Control Room: The settings place, where you can change voices for the announcer to any of the characters, visual/audio settings, difficulty settings, the language spoken by the characters, subtitle settings, etc.

==========

Characters:

Makoto Naegi (unfinished)
SHSL Luck
Spoiler : Stats/Moves :
Melee Strength: 2
Missile Strength: 2
Defense: 2
Focus: 5
Speed: 3
Vertical Ability: 2
Size: Medium
Basic Punches:
> Lo: Uses lint roller to nudge forward low.
> Med: Tackles forward clumsily. Pierces guard.
> Hi: Sleeve slap upwards. Small invincibility frame right before the peak of the slap.
Basic Kicks:
> Lo: PROJECTILE Tries replacing empty lint roller, ends up throwing the handle outwards. Pierces guard.
> Med: Prat fall backwards, legs kicking upwards.
> Hi: PROJECTILE Accidentally kicks shoe diagonally upwards. Pierces guard.
Aerial Punches:
> Lo:
> Med:
> Hi:
Aerial Kicks: Lo Med Hi
Grapple: Lo Med Hi
Counter: Melee Aerial Grapple Missile
Technique 1: Description
Technique 2: Description
Technique 3: Description
Special Traits/Dev Notes: Description, if any.
Support Traits: Description of ability given while benched in doubles.
Execution: Description
Costumes: Normal, Hope's Peak Uniform, Gym Uniform, Swimsuit, Kimono/Utaka, Towel, Special 1 & 2 (outfits relevant to the character, like baseball uniform flashback Leon Kuwata, or pop idol flashback Maizono). All but "normal" must be unlocked.
Unlockable?: y/n
since 2008!
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Mono the Meerp wrote:Can I ask why Gump doesn't like "that thing from SDR2-2" I kinda wanna know
Apologies for the chat log format:
[9/4/2014 3:11:38 PM] Phone: my issue with is basically a term that I've coined "depth subversion"
[9/4/2014 3:13:20 PM] Phone: I thought about it and this isn't really the first example of it--though it doesn't encompass all of them, betrayal stories are so common that it's bound to crop up in other areas; it just hit particularly hard here because I loved peko so much, so there's bias there admittedly
[9/4/2014 3:13:34 PM] Phone: but it's a common fault of designing characters around a mystery rather than designing the mystery around the characters
[9/4/2014 3:14:23 PM] Phone: what they do with peko there essentially renders her entire character up to that point--and perhaps it was all she was ever meant to be, but that wasn't in the slightest what she had been in the good twelve hours of development prior to that point--wholly meaningless
[9/4/2014 3:15:23 PM] Phone: it's an incredibly lazy twist that doesn't resonate in any remotely realistic or relatable fashion, the "lol all was lie" type of twist as I mentioned this morning, and it wouldn't be a problem if they hadn't decided to GIVE her fake depth up to that point
[9/4/2014 3:17:46 PM] Phone: because up to then peko was clearly a person with emotions who didn't know how to properly express them, a quiet protector who was approachable yet cold at the same time--if you do her FTEs it goes into an entire background story concerning how she's trying to learn how to smile due to what others had said about her lack of expression
[9/4/2014 3:19:58 PM] Phone: the only person who ever meant anything to her in the end, fuyuhiko, was the one relationship that the game never showed in any form up to the point where peko's "true self" was revealed--they were blatant about that, he was the only person she gave a damn about, she was fully willing to sacrifice everyone since she was his "tool" and right up to the very end she was adamant about it until /fuyuhiko/ insisted that he never wanted her to be a tool
[9/4/2014 3:20:11 PM] Phone: they never showed peko having even one BIT of remorse or care for any of the other students
[9/4/2014 3:20:36 PM] Phone: to show a different example as well
[9/4/2014 3:20:57 PM] Phone: to additionally prove that this isn't simply about waaaah my favorite character died because that's not what it is, I genuinely think they just ruined her character entirely
[9/4/2014 3:21:03 PM] Phone: but celeste
[9/4/2014 3:22:15 PM] Phone: celeste was one of my favorite characters and the circumstances of her murder and execution only made her MORE fascinating to me, but the point is that they did justice to how she'd been represented up to that point
[9/4/2014 3:22:57 PM] Phone: celeste was always shown to be more tolerant of others rather than holding them at particular values, and they properly foreshadowed that she wasn't exactly who she seemed to be and she outwardly expressed her darker side at a few notable points
[9/4/2014 3:23:26 PM] Phone: peko got none of that, the only thing there was that she was the one who went to go talk to fuyuhiko when he didn't show up to the first meeting AND THAT'S STILL ALL OFF CAMERA
[9/4/2014 3:23:45 PM] Phone: the big problem here is that the relationship that the game delves into, the only one that ultimately mattered at the end of the day, was one that we'd never gotten to see
[9/4/2014 3:24:21 PM] Phone: and all the ones that they did craft, to form genuine relationships and bonds between peko and the rest of the cast, was all just lolnope'd
[9/4/2014 3:25:22 PM] Phone: incidentally I do think that case 2 has a good mystery, but I mean it better since they decided to subvert all of peko's depth for the sake of functioning within it
[9/4/2014 3:26:49 PM] Phone: I think it did give kuzu a lot of necessary depth at least but once again, it came at the cost of subverting peko's depth
Spoiler : this isn't really spoilers but I'll mark it anyway :
Topaz
Spoken languages: English, 日本語

Post by Topaz »

Spoiler : DR Another Episode major spoilers :
I TOLD YOU MONAKA WOULD BE AMAZING

I WAS SO RIGHT

THE BEST VILLAIN EVER

also dat kiss scene
Mastermind6425
Spoken languages: Deutsch; Englisch

Re: SHSL Danganronpa Topic ~ AE Japan Released

Post by Mastermind6425 »

There is something I have to say about the "Mastermind" of SDR2...
Spoiler : :
Izuru...
Seriously, his appearance and his hate for Junko...
He seems to be the best antagonist EVER!
But why didn't he get some sprites?!
It would've been SO cool if Hinata turned into Izuru!
And after that, we would be able to play as Naegi.
And then, thanks to Naegi's speech about hope, Hinata would have turned back.
It would have been far better than the actual ending...

I just don't understand why he doesn't appear at all...
LG;

Massimo
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

So after obtaining SDR2 from BB some time back I finally sat down and finished it, from the Chapter 5 trial straight to the end.

*sigh*
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

I apologize that you had to go through the awfully translated version.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
Master Of Chaos

Post by Master Of Chaos »

Danganronpa: Another Episode is getting an English release this Fall.
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Wait. Seriously? And I thought that it would be a no-no for translators what with how it is...
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

Yeah. Cristina Vee confirmed for Monaca, Erica Mendez for Nagisa, Erica Lindbeck Kotoko. Nothing else regarding VAs yet but the game's confirmed to be coming in dub soon.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!