December 2010 - Blackrune

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Meph
Spoken languages: English

December 2010 - Blackrune

Post by Meph »

Member of the Month
December 2010
Blackrune

You're not as sexy as you think you are, you know?
This is the Member of the Month; an interview that I do at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

I personally select each month's Member of the Month. People are picked based on their contributions to the community, whether they are: making excellent trials, providing comic relief or just being a brilliant person. The next Member of the Month could be you!

If you have any questions about the Member of the Month system, please PM me.
Greetings. How has the Member of the Month series been so far? It hasn't been bad, has it? What? You want to know who I am? It does not matter who I am, but if you wish to know a name, then you can call me Rune.

You didn't expect this! Or did you? Did you foresee this before it even happened? Probably not. But did even have the slightest thought that Blackrune could be the last Member of the Month of 2010? You did? Well congratulations. A cookie for you.

If that's the case, then you probably knew that Blackrune is the author of the "Judgement Seekers" series, and that he's won numerous awards for it. If you haven't played it, then maybe you should. After all, I am in it. But anyway, I do hope you enjoy this interview, reader.

I shall leave you now. Maybe we will meet again some day. Until then, farewell.
Meph: Hello! Welcome to the seventh Member of the Month interview.

Blackrune: Hello and thank you. I didnt expect I would get chosen that soon

Meph: Since we're nearing Christmas, let's start this interview with something more festive. What will you be doing for Christmas?

Blackrune: I'll be celebrating christmas together with my family. That's what I do every year. But it seems like we'll actually have snow this christmas. Still' I'll probably celebrate and check out my presents afterwards. Nothing really special. ^^

Meph: What has the snow been like in Germany?

Backrune: There's a lot of snow this year. Way more than in the last 5 years. I'd say it's already more than 10cm on the ground and it keeps snowing. There's snow almost every year but usually not that much, and it always started snowing after Christmas. :(

Meph: What do you usually do with your family at Christmas?

Blackrune: Hmm, let's see... We eat something, usually Roast Goose or a cake and some cookies. Then the ones who can play an instrument play some christmas songs. Once that's finished, everyone opens up their christmas presents, then we proceed talking and drinking... and that's basically it.

Meph: Sounds great! :D But what are you like in the mornings? Do you wake up early or late? Can you even get to sleep in the first place if you're too excited?

Blackrune: Well, sometimes I get to sleep, sometimes I don't. But no matter what, I'm always sleepy the next day. xD But since I usually just got some present which I can't wait to test out, I get out early... and sleep the day after that.

Meph: What is your average day like?

Blackrune: I'm in the last year of my school career and it's pretty tough. Let's see, I have to get up at around 7, eat breakfast and get ready in half an hour. School lasts until averagely 5 p.m. It's okay; there are some subjects I like and some I hate. When I get home I'm usually totally exhausted and just turn on the TV or my PC. :XD:

Meph: Which subject do you like the most?

Blackrune: Philosophy! No matter what I write in the exams, I always get the best mark. I also like Japanese, which I was able to choose because a lot of them live here. Let's not talk about Maths or Physics, though...

Meph: I'm sure you must need a break from your work. Where do you like to go on holiday?

Blackrune: There are several places I'd like to go. I've already visited London, Rome and some villages in Norway in this year's holidays. I don't think much of visiting places twice, but I definitely want to travel to Moscow and Tokyo at least once in my life. Relaxing at home can also be nice, though.

Meph: Is there anywhere you'd recommend?

Blackrune: It really depends on the person. I'd say that Norway is a really refreshing country. There are some beautiful landscapes. Then again, that's nothing for people who prefer big cities.

Meph: What are your plans for the future?

Blackrune: You mean what I plan to work as? To be honest, I'm not completely sure yet. I'll probably study Japanese and maybe English. Then I'll probably become a translator in some company. Who know, maybe I'll even translate video games? xD I also had the plan to become a book author for some time... I'll consider that again if plan A doesn't work out.

Meph: Tell us about how you found AAO, and what made you want to join.

Blackrune: I read about this page on court records, probably like a lot of other people. I don't know how long ago that was, but the editor was still in its early stages. The idea of creating my own Ace Attorney case fascinated me, so I tried it out. However, I wasn't satisfied with my first attempt and forgot about AAO. A while later I remembered the page, visited it again and was impressed by the huge improvements that had been done to the editor. That's when I got motivated to do another case and you know the result.

Meph: Tell us about your infamous trial, The Virtual Turnabout. What gave you the idea for the plot of the series?

Blackrune: Well, I'm a huge fan of mystery novels in general and wanted to do my own attempt. The plot wasn't originally intended for this series. I didn't really know what to do with it at first, and tried to write it down as a book. But I never really got far with that. That was when I remembered AAO and figured that it could work as a trial with just some slight changes.

I just had to toss in some AA-characters and include some more contradictions. Part 3 was actually a little improvised. As you might remember the original thread wasn't labeled as a series, even though I knew that there would be some unanswered questions. I didn't plan too far ahead, but since I got so much positive feedback, I decided that it could do no harm to continue it.

The plot was influenced by a certain game and probably several other novels or anime series. I do try not to copy too much, and I'm quite proud of the idea with the keys in safes that I used. (which I came up completely uninfluenced, I think)

Meph: Did you antisipate that it would be so well-loved?

Blackrune: No, not really. Though I had a feeling that people would consider it as a solid trial.

Meph: How do you go about writing stories like this?

Blackrune: First of all I think of the basic situation and the characters and their roles. Then I get to the crime, I begin with the result and work backwards from there. Since I like those mysteries that seem impossible at first glance, I usually have to come up with a trick. However, I never use the first few ideas that come to mind, since the players would think of them as well... you'll need a bit of creativity. Then I use those first few ideas to mislead the player, like I did in The Virtual Turnabout. I used to be active in a forum where one person writes such a story and the others had to figure out the solution. I think I got some nice experience from there.

Meph: Which is your favourite Ace Attorney game?

Blackrune: Trials and Tribulation, like probably almost everyone else. It just had the best plot and was an epic conclusion to the trilogy. I'll never forget those final minutes of the last case.

Meph: I can't blame you. But what do you think of the Investigations spin-off series. Are you a liker or a hater?

Blackrune: Well I've always been a fan of Edgeworth since the first time I saw him. I liked how you could move around and investigate things for yourself. So I'd say I'm a liker and I'm really looking forward to the next part.

Meph: What other games do you really like?

Blackrune: I'd say "Super Smash Brothers". I don't know how many ours I spent fighting with my friends. I'm also quite fond of the "Tales of..."-series. It's a RPG with an awesome multiplayer option. Next would probably be "Metal Gear Solid". On the DS, I like the "Professor Layton" and the "Fire Emblem"-series. Wait, those are all different genres! I guess I'm compatible with a lot of genres.

Meph: What was the first video game you ever played?

Blackrune: I think it was Super Mario Land on the old gray gameboy. I also remember playing Super Mario World on the SNES. Those were probably the first ones I played.

Meph: Last question, now. Do you have any other interests?

Blackrune: I think I already mentioned that I like to read. I also have been playing guitar for 10 years now. I recently started learning how to play piano. What else? When I was young I used to play in a basketball club, but I quit that eventually. Wouldn't have the free-time for it at the moment... and I'm not really the athletic type anyway.

Meph: Before we finish this interview, is there anything else you'd like to say?

Blackrune: I'd like to thank everyone who played my fangame. And I wish you all a merry christmas and happy holidays.

Meph: Thanks for taking the time to have this interview. And Merry Christmas!

Blackrune: Goodbye. I enjoyed this interview.
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Re: Member of the Month: December 2010

Post by Broocevelt »

Congratulations Blackrune! :D

*starts reading the interview*
Dypo deLina
Spoken languages: English, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, Al Bhed

Post by Dypo deLina »

Congrats, Blackrune! ;)

I'll post some comments later... ^^
チラセ・マギタ
~Married to Evolina deLuna~ <3
~Loving father to ZetaAzuel~

Proud creator of Cynder Janice, Rex Gladiorum, and Raimpius in Endless Time.

Image Image
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Why didn't I even consider that?

Well, in any case, I'm very happy for Blackrune. He's a great choice. :mrgreen:

Where were we? Hm, obligatory MotM questions...give me a minute, I suck at these XD

1: Favorite AAO fangame?
2: You mentioned that you're a fan of the Tales series, what's your favorite?
3: You a fan of any TV/movies/anime/whatever? Excluding Umineko, we all know that already XD
4: How about music? You play guitar, after all, so...I'm curious.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Zeel1™

Post by Zeel1™ »

You forgot to make the thread an announcement, Meph. Found a replacement for locking, I see... :P

Congrats, Blackrune!
Turnabout Ghost - 1400 Frames
Ping'
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Ping' »

Congrats Blackrune, you certainly deserve it - your trial was one of my favourites this year, and reading your posts is always a pleasure.
I look forward to crossing swords with you in the New Year competition ^^
Meph

Post by Meph »

Zeel1 wrote:You forgot to make the thread an announcement, Meph. Found a replacement for locking, I see... :P
I've stopped doing that now, since... well... they aren't really announcements anyway. I only wanted to make it an announcement until the MotM series becomes popular enough. ;)

By the way, I hope you liked my Rune introduction, Blackrune. :P
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Don't you think the AAO awards are important enough to warrant an announcement?

Or the new case competition?

Admit it, you're just being lazy XD
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Yes! Two in a row.

Congratulations, Herr Schwarz. :calisto:

You definitely deserve that award. What do you mean "You didn't expect to become MotM so soon?"
Meph

Post by Meph »

BBblader wrote:Admit it, you're just being lazy XD
Too lazy to choose between clicking the "sticky" radio button and the "announcement" radio button? :P
ShadowEdgeworth

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Well-deserved, Blackrune, old chap, well-deserved. :D

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

Finally a new MotM interview~!

Congratulations Blackrune! :nod:
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

*confetti falls*
WOOOH! GO BLACKRUNE! Congrats!
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Congratz Blackrune... wait a sec... :XD:

I figured you'd have to post this a little earlier because of those christmas questions. ^^

@All: Thank you. :D

@BBblader: Already starting with the questions? Let's see...
1: That's a tough decision. I don't think of one as "the best". I think they all have their pros and cons.

2: Tales of the Abyss... I haven't played Vesperia, though.

3. German TV series suck. xD I like watching Dr. House, though.
Regarding movies... I pretty much go with the mainstream there... LoTR, HP, Avatar, whatever...
Now anime are another story... I don't really like those mainstream fighting-shounen stuff.
I rather watch the ones with complex/deep stories. Something like Death Note.
Or really serious ones like Monster. Or something completely underrated like Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Then again, I enjoyed watching Fullmetal Alchemist as well... (I watch a lot of anime, maybe you already guessed that^^")

4: I play guitar, but I think the most epic instrument ever is the violin. :XD:
I'm generally more a fan of music that focuses on the instruments. Yes... classic music, video game music, techno, whatever.
I really don't like those voice-focused songs that would just be a beat if you'd take out the singer. *coughrapcough*
Wait no, there are some songs like that which I like as well... there's no direction which I particulary detest...

@E.D. Revolution:
Congratulations, Herr Schwarz.
Oh, i c wut u did thar. :awesome:
Come on, let me pretend that I didn't expect it.

@All: Thanks again. :P
Last edited by Blackrune on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Congrats dawg!