August 2012 - Singidava

The MotM is an interview that the team does at the end of each month. It's a fun way of finding out about respected members of the community.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Re: Member of the Month: August 2012

Post by Broocevelt »

y u so singin' 'n diva?
King Pie
Spoken languages: English

Post by King Pie »

gurl y u so stupid?
Go here alot
DAVE X PIE FOREVER
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Post by Broocevelt »

Waitwha?
I don't know if that's a meme or you're just being rude :|
King Pie
Spoken languages: English

Post by King Pie »

It's definitely the meme, why would I be mean to Singi?
Go here alot
DAVE X PIE FOREVER
Mimi
Spoken languages: English: the only language I can brag about

Post by Mimi »

Singi-chan~~~! Congrats! I was wondering when you would be selected... and you finally did! :3

What do you prefer, drawing or painting?

...And did the number of female interviewees drop?

And... huh. I can't think of a wall for you to answer. Actually, you'd probably just troll me and not answer anything at all. OR you would. DARN IT YOU'RE TROLLING ME ALREADY WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

@Ping': Just be aware that LSK is a parody. Even if my tastes in serious stories are "good" you can't know about my (probably somewhat twisted) sense of humour~
...Oh, and please don't read the manga version. I prefer the light novels.

@Pie1: Even if I was I wouldn't tell you.

@Ami: My avatar is Lain from Serial Experiments Lain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgmZKRTpdlo
See? (And no, I don't think any of that really is a spoiler as it's difficult to make any sense to the scenes even with the context.)
You know, the duck face is impossibly hard to sprite. YES, I'VE ACTUALLY TRIED THAT. Now you can pretty much guess what kind of character my next request sprite is...

@GD: The main character Sun himself. And his teacher Neo. They're both... delightfully evil hypocrites~

@DWaM: What~? Having difficulties with my little Umineko gameboard~?
I'll have you know that my stubborness is a deadly combination of genetics and pride~ Have pity on my parents~ ...But then again my dad and brother are just as stubborn and me...

@Dan: ASDFÅÅÅRTGHYJKLÖÄÄÄ ...what I wrote to Ping' earlier.
I dislike both singing and divas. I should really change my name...

@Pie2: I've heard something along the lines of that meme but I've never heard anyone replying to it. Oh, except I just did.

@Mimi: I prefer just drawing over painting because painting is such a bother. When you're painting IRL the timing is everything, especially with watercolours. You don't have to worry about that when you're drawing.
Iirc the previous female interviewees were you and Hol.
Oh, you're overestimating me~~ Probably... ;)
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

What about Lain made you like it so much? I assume many people are put off by its... its... [insert appropriate adjective to describe it]-ness.
Singidava

Post by Singidava »

I believe the word you're looking for is mindf***. I rather not swear but honestly, I can't think of a better word for Lain.

Actually, Lain didn't start out as my favourite. No, for the longest time Monster held the title of being my favourite anime ever (well, the manga version is still my favourite manga...) But then I started rewatching Lain. And after a year or two had passed and I understood Lain better, suddenly, poof~! My favourite anime and my second favourite switched places! So I guess the final straw was Lain's awesome rewatch value.

Basically Lain is like an awesome puzzle that you get more and more pieces for each time you watch it. And when those pieces start slowly falling into place... well, it's very rewarding.
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Oh, so Monster ranked that high before? :) (It's actually hard to watch any other anime now without expecting too much.)

What about Monster did you like the most?
Singidava

Post by Singidava »

Characters obviously. As you know the show has pretty much one of the best villains in anime ever and just think about all those side characters! No matter how unimportant, nobody in the show is a cardbord cutout. The cast is also much more versatile than usually in animes! Age, status, profession... It's really rare to see such variety.
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Which of the minor characters did you like the best?

What's your opinion of Johan? Eva? Tenma? :awesome:

Do you like animals? If you do, what's your favorite kind of animal?
Singidava

Post by Singidava »

Minor? As in those that are only a few eps on-screen? Well, Richard the detective was easily the most memorable one. I mean.... Johan... oh, Johan.... that was one of the scariest lines in the whole anime IMO. Well, aside from that ending. Yikes.

Well, you already know what I think of Johan: the ultimate monster and the most perfect villain I've seen. You also might remember my posts regarding Eva in Anime/Manga topic: she is one of my favourite female characters in anime. Tenma was... well, surpirisingly bland, actually. Of course, he was not a bad character, far from it, but the side characters just overshadowed him. I never really learnt to like Lunge though... And Grimmer was interesting but I don't really adore him the same way most of the fandom seems to do.

Do I like animals? Well, if I didn't why would I pick horse riding of all the possible hobbies? I'm not sure about my favourite kind of animal though... Obviously, I have most experience with horses but maybe I'd rather pick some animal that's a bit less... scary? Obviously, I'm not afraid of horses but I do respect their strenght and I have to be careful when dealing with them. So maybe something smaller would be nice? I really don't know.
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Were you theorizing and analyzing Monster as you watched it? What did you think when they introduced the storybooks?

*trying to stray away from Monster...*

SO! Any anime or book you do NOT RECOMMEND to us? Why?
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Have you seen/read any of Urasawa's other works? If so, which was your favourite?
Singidava

Post by Singidava »

@Mimi: No, I really weren't. I was just enjoying it. When they introduced the picture books? Honestly, my mind was too busy being blown from Johan's reaction to them that I had hard time thinking anything other than Johan. "What is this!? He is actually a human being! ...Maybe..." Later on when they actually read the story... Well, those books certainly added to the creepiness factor.
About your other question... There are plenty of animes/mangas I wouldn't recommend. For example all those dull fanservice shows... No matter what Gumpei and BB say about it but Queen's Blade is one of them. Though if I have to rank bad shows it still beats Ikki Tousen by a mile. From mangas... I've already kinda answered this question. Anything from Shinjo Mayu, especially Kaikan Phrase. It's basically your most generic bad Mary Sue fanfiction in manga form.

@Lind: I have six volumes of 20th Century Boys, however, I didn't like it nearly as much I liked Monster. Somehow, it seems to focus too much on escaping when I want to know more about Friend & co. I've also been trying to hunt for Pluto in cons and such but so far I haven't managed to find it. On anime... Keaton is my to watch list but considering how long that is... I don't know when I actually manage to watch it. So yeah, currently I've only read 6 vols of 20th Century Boys besides Monster.