Doctor Who

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

Re: Doctor Who

Post by TheDoctor »

Probably not hugely important. Although there was a new character introduced that will probably be reoccurring. Other than that there was a couple of callbacks to the story arc. It was definitely a good episode though, so watch it when you can.
Image Image Image
Ami

Post by Ami »

Saw both of the episodes accidentally- apparently the previous episode was shown at 8 instead of the present one. They were both decent episodes, but I felt Robot of Sherwood let me down in terms of writing, acting, etc.
since 2008!
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

You gotta admit though, the Doctor fighting off Robin Hood with a spoon was worth the watch. :)
Image Image Image
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Episodes "Listen" and "Time Heist" were both quite good. Listen was an excellent return to the creepy Moffat episodes of old, and Time Heist was just an all-around good episode. Still say Danny Pink feels like an utterly pointless character. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I kind of doubt it.
Image Image Image
DLA
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, a bit of French

Post by DLA »

"Robot of Sherwood" was loads of fun, "Listen" was good, if not a bit confusing.
Spoiler : Listen spoilers :
Just what was the thing under the blanket?
"Time Heist" was also fantastic, but also confusing. Danny Pink seems pretty pointless, and the trailer for the next episode gives me the idea it'll be focusing on the romantic subplot, which I really hope it doesn't do.
The Final but not so ending chapter.
Ami

Post by Ami »

Detective Luke Atmey wrote:"Robot of Sherwood" was loads of fun, "Listen" was good, if not a bit confusing.
Spoiler : Listen spoilers :
Just what was the thing under the blanket?
"Time Heist" was also fantastic, but also confusing. Danny Pink seems pretty pointless, and the trailer for the next episode gives me the idea it'll be focusing on the romantic subplot, which I really hope it doesn't do.
Spoiler : Theory regarding 'Listen' :
The Eternals can do literally anything they want within a certain range, and can transport themselves through space/time without the use of a device. So the Eternal could've been in the area, and simply used immense psychic powers to conjure a being under the blanket, manipulated the blanket to make it appear something was there, or even just clouded their perceptions.

That's what I think the lady in "heaven" is. An Eternal.
since 2008!
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

Apart from one single Doctor Who critic, I don't know anybody apart from me that hated Listen. The other episodes this series were either good, but not excellent (Into the Dalek, Time Heist) or just above average (Deep Breath, Robot of Sherwood.) Listen was just... tired and boring.
Spoiler : Listen, Name of the Doctor, The Caretaker's Next Time Trailer :
I hate Clara a lot. In regards to NewWho, she's probably my least favourite companion. Granted, after series 5, I stopped watching because everything kinda went downhill, so I haven't seen everything Amy's done. I really wish the writers would stop trying to make her hugely significant. Oh, she impacted the Doctor at the end of the episode, great. Didn't this all happen in Name of the Doctor, where it was equally forced?
Aside from that, there was the romance, which is the number one thing I hate about NewWho. The Caretaker looks... "thrilling," in this department. It can redeem itself if that robot is voiced by Weird Al, which is what it sounded like. Clara making remarks about Danny "probably digging" for water were just awful, which further enforced my hatred of her.
It's great how eveyone speaks in crypitic cyphers, too. It's like Hobonix x 10.
It's also nice how they decided to create a descendant of Danny Pink, and decided he should be played by the same actor, and have the same personality; the only difference being that he has an afro.
"A creature with a perfect disguse" was a good enough premise until the Silence existed about an entire series ago.
Everything Steven Moffat has written about before, and all his tired clichés are in "Listen." He uses time travel as a gimmick to be pretentious and show off, and characters aren't really characters, just hollow shells to be cyphers and tell the Doctor "the moral of the story."

Every other episode this series was fine, but this one bugged me. And yet, I seem to be alone; some are saying it will go down as the next Genesis of the freaking Daleks.
Last edited by Reverie on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

I actually disliked Listen, for much the same reasons you named (although as of this series Clara is redeeming herself, IMO). I wouldn't say I hated it, though.

Time Heist was a really good episode with a slightly underwhelming conclusion that didn't quite live up to what it had promised. However, the actual premise of the episode is utterly inspired - a heist to steal something that you know you want more than anything, but without actually knowing what that thing is, making half the motive of theft to simply find out what it was in the first place.

The obvious plothole is quite unfortunate, though.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

There was an obvious plot hole? I guess I must not have caught it yet, but then, I can be a little slow as far as fridge logic goes. Would you mind pointing out for me?
Image Image Image
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

TheDoctor wrote:There was an obvious plot hole? I guess I must not have caught it yet, but then, I can be a little slow as far as fridge logic goes. Would you mind pointing out for me?
Spoiler : :
They came to the bank in the first place because the Doctor gave the director his phone number. He could not have given her the phone number without first going to the bank.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Spoiler : Response :
Ah, so one of those chicken or the egg things. I guess I didn't notice it because Doctor Who always does that kind of thing. Case in point, Blink: The Doctor has a transcript of what he needs to say to Sally. Why? Because Sally gave him the transcript. How? Because the Doctor had a transcript of what he needed to say to Sally. Another case in point, The Big Bang: Amelia is thirsty, so the Doctor goes back in time to steal her a drink. But the only reason Amelia was thirsty is because the Doctor stole that drink. So, the Doctor wouldn't even have needed to steal it had he not stolen it in the first place.

tl;dr Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey...
Image Image Image
Master Of Chaos

Post by Master Of Chaos »

I have made it my mission to go through every revival series episode up until The Day of The Doctor, to prepare myself for starting on the 12th Doctor series.

BRING IT ON.
Writer. Roleplayer. Fighting Game Enthusiast. Professional Scumbag/Troll.
Twitter/Ask.fm/Dustloop/Tumblr
ShadowEdgeworth is my partner in crime. GuardianDreamer-san is my bestest buddy ever just ignore that conveniently hidden knife. Ami is the ultimate and most cuddly Senpai. And Patchu is my wife. I HAVE LEGAL PROOF!

Enjoy my short stories and other things relating to my roleplaying characters! (Link coming soon!)
ShadowEdgeworth

Post by ShadowEdgeworth »

I am loving Series 8 thus far! :D I'll be more in-depth later, but I love Capaldi. He is amazing!

Epic Rap Battles of AAO History: Meph VS Unas l Phoenix Wright VS Glase Canon l SuperGanondorf VS GotMLK7 l Mimi Mika VS Zeel1

Winner of the Golden Star Award 2010!
Creator of Commander Mika Cadenza and Admiral Kathryn Jayneway in Endless Time!
Currently RPing as The Doctor, Shadow The Hedgehog, and Spider-Man in Dimensional Chaos!
Currently RPing as Spider-Man and Black Cat in Crossover Central!
Creator of Alexis Calika in Vermillion Sunset and Alex Tazian in Final Warfare!
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

I think last night's episode confirmed my suspicions that Danny Pink exists for the sole purpose of creating pointless drama between Clara and the Doctor.
Spoiler : :
I get the feeling that if Danny hadn't said what he did to Clara at the end of the previous episode (or perhaps if 11th was the one to have forced Clara into making the decision instead of 12th), Clara would not have blown up like she did at the end of this episode. I'm not saying the Doctor was justified in what he did, I'm just saying it's an issue that probably would have been worked through in times past.

That said, what kind of point was the Doctor trying to make? I like the more curmudgeonly direction this Docotr is taking, but this seems a little over the top. Previously, the only time I can recall when he forced a companion to make a life changing decision was when he forced armory to choose to rescue Young!Amy, thus erasing Old!Amy from existence, or rescue Old!Amy, forcing Young!Amy into several years of running/hiding/fighting for her life alone (Not a hard decision, if you ask me. They really made too big a deal about it in the episode). But now he's forcing a companion to decide between the fate of the earth, or an innocent baby. Seriously, what the heck?

Of course, in times past, Clara would have gotten the Doctor to take a third option. She might have told him to move the egg away from earth's orbit and replace it with a new moon. This is the girl that inspired multiple incarnations of the Doctor to rescue Gallifrey instead of blowing it up. Why she didn't do the same in this case is beyond me.
Image Image Image
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

I rather enjoyed Mummy on the Orient Express. Plot was pretty interesting, and there was just the right amount of tension. I also liked how they showed this Doctor is not as heartless as he appears at first glance. Looking forward to the next episode.
Image Image Image