Shoujo-Ai Appreciation and Discussion

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Ami
Spoken languages: English

Shoujo-Ai Appreciation and Discussion

Post by Ami »

Hello everyone! Shoujo-ai, as it seems, is fairly under-appreciated in anime and video games, and media in general (especially in anime, where shonen-ai seems more diminant). However, there are a lot of supporters of shoujo-ai, and I think it's time we assembled ourselves~

EDIT: Canon and slash pairings are all fair game here! Got a favorite crack pairing? Go ahead and let us know!

I think I'll kick this off with some shoujo-ai I've seen. Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl is a very good anime, though it's sorta difficult for me to watch it more than once, as it relies on the Will they won't they between two love interests. Blue Drop is nice as well, and I HIGHLY recommend it. Kannazuki no Miko is AWFUL. Avoid it at all costs, as there is a major squicky moment between the two female leads in there that I shudder to repeat.

A-Channel is the most recent shoujo-ai anime I could find that's in production. It's very nice, though it's not for those that are super plot-driven. Think Lucky Star's style and animation meets K-ON!'s sense of humor.

As for video games, the only thing I can think of is Parasite Eve, which I've never played. Other than that, there's the lesbian option in a few games, like Mass Effect (does it really count, though?), Fallout: New Vegas, and Dragon Age: Origins.
since 2008!
Tap

Re: Shoujo-Ai Appreciation and Discussion

Post by Tap »

Ami wrote:I think I'll kick this off with some shoujo-ai I've seen. Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl is a very good anime, though it's sorta difficult for me to watch it more than once, as it relies on the Will they won't they between two love interests.
I've read the first couple of chapters, but I didn't realise there was an anime. I'll have to check it out. :wink:

Hmm... I haven't really read much shoujo-ai, although I've touched on Strawberry Panic (recommended for more mature audiences), Maria-sama ga Miteru (a really great series) and Shitsurakuen (aka Paradise Lost - also recommended for mature audiences due to the themes explored). :)
ImageImage
Ami

Post by Ami »

Tap wrote:
Ami wrote:I think I'll kick this off with some shoujo-ai I've seen. Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl is a very good anime, though it's sorta difficult for me to watch it more than once, as it relies on the Will they won't they between two love interests.
I've read the first couple of chapters, but I didn't realise there was an anime. I'll have to check it out. :wink:

Hmm... I haven't really read much shoujo-ai, although I've touched on Strawberry Panic (recommended for more mature audiences), Maria-sama ga Miteru (a really great series) and Shitsurakuen (aka Paradise Lost). :)
Stawberry Panic was nice, but... it was a bit over the top with the drama llama. But yeah, Kashimashi is a wonderful anime, check it out.

... Wait
Maria-sama? You mean Maria Holic? I could barely make it through the first few episodes.
since 2008!
Tap

Post by Tap »

Ami wrote:
... Wait
Maria-sama? You mean Maria Holic? I could barely make it through the first few episodes.
No, the two series are completely different. =)
I don't like Maria†Holic either. ^^'
ImageImage
Ami

Post by Ami »

I've found Paradise Lost, though animeseason's labeling doesn't seem to be shoujo-ai, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I'll keep looking for Maria-sama.

But seriously, check out A-Channel. It's still being released episode by episode each Friday.
since 2008!
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Kashimashi was just ridiculously bad.

While I don't know of any good straight-up Shoujo-ai series, this is mostly because series focused entirely on romance usually fail pretty hard and fall flat on their faces, and unlike a lot of het stuff shoujo-ai usually just stops at shoujo-ai as a gimmick in of itself. For series with decent shoujo-ai pairings and content and such, though, I recommend Revolutionary Girl Utena.
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

Lind wrote:While I don't know of any good straight-up Shoujo-ai series, this is mostly because series focused entirely on romance usually fail pretty hard and fall flat on their faces, and unlike a lot of het stuff shoujo-ai usually just stops at shoujo-ai as a gimmick in of itself. For series with decent shoujo-ai pairings and content and such, though, I recommend Revolutionary Girl Utena.
But then again there is controversy about wheter Utena x Anthy is really canon.
Something about
Spoiler : :
how they represent two sides of the same woman.
I don't really watch shoujo ai but hey, who was really surprised? No one? Good.
EmaTheScienceSkye
Winner of AC 1#!
Spoken languages: English, Chinese, French, Spanish, Japanese

Post by EmaTheScienceSkye »

Maria-sama ga Miteru is great.
Your Resident Ema Skye Impersonator.
Blah.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Singidava wrote:
Lind wrote:While I don't know of any good straight-up Shoujo-ai series, this is mostly because series focused entirely on romance usually fail pretty hard and fall flat on their faces, and unlike a lot of het stuff shoujo-ai usually just stops at shoujo-ai as a gimmick in of itself. For series with decent shoujo-ai pairings and content and such, though, I recommend Revolutionary Girl Utena.
But then again there is controversy about wheter Utena x Anthy is really canon.
Something about
how they represent two sides of the same woman.
I don't really watch shoujo ai but hey, who was really surprised? No one? Good.
It's not a canon pairing (except in the movie, but the movie was stupid). But there's still plenty of shoujo-ai undertones in there. Notably Juri and Shiori.
EmaTheScienceSkye
Winner of AC 1#!
Spoken languages: English, Chinese, French, Spanish, Japanese

Post by EmaTheScienceSkye »

Also, Nanoha. Nanoha is top tier in every aspect, including love! Nanofate is the best~
Your Resident Ema Skye Impersonator.
Blah.
Ami

Post by Ami »

*makes a note to watch these shows if I can find them*
since 2008!
Auraion
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, Spanglish

Post by Auraion »

Whoa, parasite eve was shoujo-ai/yuri?
I used to watch my dad play it.

For anime, I have watched some of the mentioned above, also Ninja Nonsense, which isn't exactly yuri, but it is heavily implied, leading to fantasies of the main character with her best friend, or cute scenes like those in the christmas special.
It's a comedy.

As for games, I don't know much. Except that one time I played a game called "Summon Night: Swordcraft Story", where if you chose female for the main character, you can be a loli who owns, what could be considered, a lesbian volunteer slave. They kiss and talk about marriage sometimes.
It's a JRPG for kids.

As for cartoons
My Little Pony Friendship is Magic
Ami

Post by Ami »

Captain's Log: 20XX. Mood: Sorta Wistful.

In my search for more shoujo-ai, as I (usually) find it more interesting than vanilla same guy falls in love with the same chick in different designs, I've not found all that much. Haven't been able to find Maria-sama ga Miteru yet, but ah well. Anyone know where I can watch this for free?

Furthermore, I thought I'd at least add Umineko to this list, as Bernkastel and Lamda-delta seem rather... together? It's sorta hard to tell with the way this goes.

Spoiler : Umineko spoilers :
Especially given they start as observers, then start interfering in the game, then become antagonists, and all the while appear to be in a relationship. I am confused. Especially since many of the internet copies I find are missing pages and chapters.

Deciding whether or not to include Nichijou, since Yukko seems at least unsure of her sexuality (thanks to Mai, the best troll ever). Other than that, it's usually just easy shipping.

Anyone else find anything new lately?
since 2008!
TrialmanAKASoma Cruz

Post by TrialmanAKASoma Cruz »

I've read quite a few Yu-Gi-Oh yuri fanfics(With varying degrees of NSFW) which include Dark Magician Girl, mainly with Tea, and there was one with Mai, and they showed some interesting results. I've also been having odd thoughts in my head about MLP's Rarity shipped with DMG.

And of course, my sig.
I love all generations of My Little Pony and I'm proud of it! Paste this into your sig if you are too!
To please my Yuri side. (Picture by adcoon on DA)
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.
Ami

Post by Ami »

Yeah, there's always fanfiction and doujins, but it's not quite the same, y'know? Also, you're killing my childhood, here. Granted, MLP:FiM only came out a few years ago, it's hitting me right in the childhood. On a scale of somewhat inappropriate joke to finding out Dr. Seuss has been dead for quite some time, this rates at about Freakazoid getting cancelled after its second season.
since 2008!