Art Questions and Answers:

Read and write tutorials about becoming a great artist.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Meph
Spoken languages: English

Re: Question about Spriting/Animating.

Post by Meph »

This forum is only for asking about how to use the AAO apps. :)

Moved to Your Art.
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Re: Question about Spriting/Animating.

Post by Singidava »

If you want to move this to the art section how about using the correct thread as well?
http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... =51&t=6403

EDIT: Thanks
Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

Re: Art Questions and Answers:

Post by Sligneris »

http://www.forums.court-records.net/vie ... 0#p1190300

An important question about so-called Sprite Stealing.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

As long as the artist doesnt have restrictions about modifying or even using sprites (or doesn't even mention anything about permission), I don't see the problem.

Only thing is though you should give more extensive credit besides the name of the artist.

Edit
...But if I recall, you were someone that got in trouble for doing something like this without actually asking permission on AAO?

Edit2:
And those are specifically CR's take, I doubt AAO's the same (I havent read those rules myself in a long time :p)
Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

Post by Sligneris »

Puddin' wrote:...But if I recall, you were someone that got in trouble for doing something like this without actually asking permission on AAO?
Yeah... Despite the fact that one of sprites in question was posted in Request Topic and I didn't saw anything mentioned about the fact that using it is forbidden at all. :side:

I mean it's like you make request when you want someone to improve or do something with sprite.
Puddin' wrote:And those are specifically CR's take, I doubt AAO's the same (I havent read those rules myself in a long time :p)
It appears so.
Last edited by Sligneris on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Singidava

Post by Singidava »

That also depends on the spriter. Certain spriters (such as myself) may have their own set of rules. You should at least check the spriter's thread to see if there are any additional rules. After all, it's up to the creator to define what kind of copyright they're using.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Can any expert artist tell me what the best advantages of vector art is for over traditionally digital drawn artwork in the filetypes of jpg,png, etc. and their opinion on whether or not there are practical applications for art compositions?

I understand only that the lines you draw serve to be "perfect" without pixel issues, so why is vector art seemingly not as "popular" as the regular digital drawn art? (Not sure if I'm even asking the right question)
Singidava

Post by Singidava »

^*answered to Puddin' in a private convo*

Anyways, I thought I'd post the reply to Ami's question on Rant topic here too since this is where it belongs and others might run into the same problem.
How to get tablet pen pressure working in GIMP:
Singidava wrote:
Ami wrote:It kinda is, but uh... how do I get it to read pen pressure? PAINT.NET doesn't seem to do that either.
http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... =51&t=6403
You know if this question was there I would notice sooner. Oh well, I'll answer anyways.
So. Pen pressure in GIMP that's slightly tricky but nothing too difficult. First of all when you open GIMP you gotta open it with using your pen. Otherwise GIMP doesn't notice you even have one. After that's done go Edit > Input devices and your pen stylus should be on the list left side of the window. Click it and set the mode to "Screen". After that you can use pen pressure. You can find rest of the pen pressure related settings in "Dynamics" menu that appears under brush options.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Question that hopefully somebody can answer.

I do a fair bit of adjusting pre-existing official sprites in GIMP. At times, this involves scratching bits and pieces, using what already exists as a base. Usually, my work is passable, but could definitely be improved. Currently, I'm working on a hatless Trucy series, but no matter what I try, the scratched forehead and hair look terrible. I've tried adapting the guides for general scratching, but I can't even come up with an outline for the head that I'm happy with. Does anybody have some suggestions?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
~Dataman~
Spoken languages: English and finnish.

Post by ~Dataman~ »

Enthalpy wrote:Question that hopefully somebody can answer.

I do a fair bit of adjusting pre-existing official sprites in GIMP. At times, this involves scratching bits and pieces, using what already exists as a base. Usually, my work is passable, but could definitely be improved. Currently, I'm working on a hatless Trucy series, but no matter what I try, the scratched forehead and hair look terrible. I've tried adapting the guides for general scratching, but I can't even come up with an outline for the head that I'm happy with. Does anybody have some suggestions?
1. Take the sprite involving Mr. Hat.
2. Cut the hair
3. Add the hair into some othe sprite.
4. Do little cleaning.
My DeviantArt My Youtube Channel
Anime is awesome! Watch my Anime Sword Techniques series in my Youtube channel! Currently I have covered Gatotsu, Yontoryu, Santoryu, Hiten Mitsurugi, Seven Swords Dance, Wattoujutsu, Scissorblade, Kamiya Kasshin and more is coming! :)

My Art Thread
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Due to the way her sprites work, that can't be done without an uncomfortable amount of scratch spriting. Not to mention the fact that head would have to be re-shaded.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
~Dataman~
Spoken languages: English and finnish.

Post by ~Dataman~ »

My DeviantArt My Youtube Channel
Anime is awesome! Watch my Anime Sword Techniques series in my Youtube channel! Currently I have covered Gatotsu, Yontoryu, Santoryu, Hiten Mitsurugi, Seven Swords Dance, Wattoujutsu, Scissorblade, Kamiya Kasshin and more is coming! :)

My Art Thread
Tap
Spoken languages: English

Post by Tap »

Well, you probably already know of this link, but most of 'hatless' Trucy base sprites can be found in LawfulMagician's sprite thread: http://forums.court-records.net/viewtop ... 12&t=17318 :)
ImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Dataman: That one is good and I would use it, but doing that myself would involve more scratch sprtiting than I feel that I could do at this point.

Tap: I'll take a look at those, but I had no clue that thread existed. Court-Records needs its own "Canon Character Custom Sprites" thread.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

~Dataman~ wrote:Image

This is the best, most efficient way to edit it (assuming a set didn't exist that tap posted :P)