Official AAO Competition: Taking the Highwayman

Compete with other members to create the best art following a given theme.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Official AAO Competition: Taking the Highwayman

Post by Reecer6 »

ImageTaking the HighwaymanImage
like, you know, taking the high road, as in taking the ethically correct (or absolving) choice, but here it's still about criminals, who aren't exactly morally correct in all cases, and a highwayman is a ki—
Graffiti is art. However, graffiti as an act of vandalism is a crime.

---------------------------

The results are in! Here are the rankings of our eleven competitors!
Spoiler : Results :
In eleventh place...

Aeliren, ShadowGengarYT, and The Doctor tie for no votes!
ImageImageImage
But maybe that means you're all the most innocent after all?

In eighth place lies...

Ann-nna, with one single vote!
He's not a very effective blackmailer if they can't even rig more than one guy in their favor...

In seventh place, you may find...

FenrirDarkWolf, titleguy1, and tiancai all tying with 2 votes!
ImageImageImage
Perhaps black jackets aren't the most original criminal oufit out there. Someone should've changed, and now it's just awkward.

We quickly arrive to fourth for...

Toma- I mean, SuperAJ with four votes!
I understand you might not be in ecstasy over your ranking, but we were all glad to have meth Kenn, so I really think you should adderall your successes up here; you'll find that you're a lot better than you're cracked up to be. Lysergic acid diethylamide.

Third place is awarded to...

Glen Elg, with 5 votes!
It's a good thing a trophy is not a credit card, because this trophy is... good enough, I guess.

Coming up to second place and runner-up, it's...

Tear, with 7 votes!
Who knew clever gags and actual intellectual robbery could get you so far in life?
And our final winner can be found behind this last spoiler, alongside a free art prize!!!
Spoiler : The winner is... :
DarthWiader, with a shocking 16 votes!!!!!!!
Zvarri! The true result was hidden in the Visions of the Ephemeral Seers!

And, here's that art!
Original OP:
Spoiler : :
ImageTaking the HighwaymanImage
like, you know, taking the high road, as in taking the ethically correct (or absolving) choice, but here it's still about criminals, who aren't exactly morally correct in all cases, and a highwayman is a ki—
Graffiti is art. However, graffiti as an act of vandalism is a crime.

In Ace Attorney, one specific type of crime is usually given a lot of weight, being put in the spotlight again and again. It's always been murder, invasion of privacy and murder, murder, murder, murder, murder, murder, murder, murder, murder, larceny and murder, murder, murder, and murder. That's a lot of murder! Sometimes, you just got to feel sorry for the little people, whose crimes never get a whole court case to their own. That's what this sprite competition is about! We want to celebrate criminals who are not murderers!

Rules
Submit an Ace Attorney-style sprite or set of sprites depicting an original character who commonly commits crimes that do not include murder.
Giving your entry a name and a short bio to explain their life and criminal history is highly suggested.
Please do not submit a character who is actively being incarcerated, unless they are doing their crime within jail as well. Cheeky.
Both scratch and frankenspriting are acceptable.
Submissions must be more than a palette swap of an existing Ace Attorney character.

Entries are due by November 15th.
Votes are due by November 22nd.

Suggestions
There are loads of crimes you could pick that aren't murder to base an entire character around! Here's a totally inexhaustive list of ideas that might help you out.
Embezzlement
Trespassing
Theft (This one's good because it comes in multiple flavors!)
Fraud
Squatting
Counterfeiting
Libel
Piracy
Health Code Violation
Cheating on tests
Deliberately concealing the receipt that has Maya's name written in blood on it from Gumshoe (the worst and most palpable crime of all)

Entries

1 Aeliren
Dr. Charles Morthe-Rhoppe
Crime: Scamming, embezzlement

At first glance, Dr. Charles Morthe-Rhoppe is a laid-back but kind old man, if a bit eccentric and absent-minded. Having dedicated his late life to discovering the cure to cancer, Dr. Morthe-Rhoppe is currently the head of the Los Angeles Cancer Treatment Society, where he and his colleagues work daily in order to find a cure. However, lying behind the warm façade is a sleazy con artist who has been corrupted by greed and has scammed many people out of their money by using cancer as a front for his embezzlement and scamming activities.

2 Tomasa Blur SuperAj3
Kenn A. Byss
Crime: Purveyor of illicit substances
Kenn is a blunt man, and a purveyor of the dank variety.
His love for Mary Jane knows no bounds, and he is dedicated to finding that perfect nug.
He wears sunglasses to cover his eyes, but his breath is a dead giveaway XD

3 FenrirDarkWolf
Dominique and Victoria Beuser
Crime: Domestic abuse
On the outside, Dominique and Victoria Beuser seem to be quite picture-esque. The hardworking husband and the cute, clumsy housewife straight out of a 1950's picture. But all is not right in the Beuser household. It all happened when Dominique got laid off from his job at the factory. He started drinking and doing drugs, anything to keep his mind off his failing life and struggling financial situation. After months of being unable to find a job, he got so angry one day, he came home from job hunting and took it out on his wife, Victoria. Three months later, Dominique has a new job, and things seem to be looking up... except said job causes him immense stress... which he takes out on Victoria. By this time, he barely even thinks of her as a person anymore, let alone the bright and happy woman he married only two years prior. Victoria believes that, one day, she'll be able to change him back, and he'll stop hurting her. But until then, she won't leave her husband's side... after all, he told her that, without him, she's nothing. She doesn't want to be nothing.

4 Tear
Tomasa Blur
Crime: Art theft
At first, Tomasa wanted to become an artist fair and square. But then, she found the internet.

5 titleguy1
Alexa Raitor
Crime: Street Racing
Alexa Raitor is a 25-year-old woman who has a passion for cars and loves a good adrenaline rush. However, unlike many people who turn to drugs and alcohol when stress comes, Alexa began to rely on driving. Soon, she discovered local mountain street races, or Tōge races, and began to participate in these activities frequently. Over time, she became unbeatable; her nickname was the "Dragon of L.A." with her bleached hair and a tattoo going up her right arm. When she's racing or angry, she'll lift up her sleeves to reveal this tattoo. Other than her obsession with street racing, she remains a docile, cunning, but somewhat hotheaded person, but beware; she is a monster on the road.

6 ShadowGengarYT
Peter "Pinocchio" Colo
Crime: Theft
This is Peter Colo (As in Peter Colo -> P. Colo -> Picolo -> Small in Italian).
But he is more ofter referred to as Pinocchio, since he has a big nose, is small and lies alot.
His limited length works in his favor when he's stealing things.

7 tiancai

Tom, Dick, Harry, Melvis, Jason, Karl Newton, Kim, Tan, Tautou, Tse ... (He is going by the name Gradon Kim Ji now)
Crime: Identity theft, Fake ID, Plagiarism ...

This guy is the product of this "face/packaging" society. He is obsessed with looking good and 'perfect'.
He started with stealing the face and name of the Top Idols and then he went a step further to 'create' his own idea of 'perfect' like the way an author creates a character.
He did not mean to commit crime though, he is just being led by his obsession to be perfect, and to keep up with the trend.

Nobody knows how he looks like beneath all that disguise...

8 The Doctor
Stillman "Stick" Inaround
Crime: Loitering
"It's a free country, I can go where I want."

9 DarthWiader
The Great Mysterone (Carl Athan)
Crime: Scam, fraud

The Mentalist. The Seer. The Man Who Knows... Except not really. Carl is a very clever con artist, who pretends to be a powerful psychic; he works hard to convince his clients that his insights are genuine by telling them something about themselves. In reality, he uses a set of techniques called "cold reading" to imply that he knows much more about his clients than he actually does. During his séances, he uses leading questions, fishing around for clues so he can improve his guessing ratio... or just utilizes some info he gathered from another source, such as personal details they posted on a social networking website. Next, he tricks his victim into thinking they're jinxed or cursed by evil beings and offers them to remove a curse or spell for a fee. He also offers them to sell "winning" lottery numbers, "lucky charms", "protective talismans", "magical crystals filled with spiritual energy" and similar stuff (none of them work).

10 Ann-nna
Blake Meller
Crime: Blackmail
Blake's a private eye hired by people to find out if their significant other's cheating on them. In case the cheater's more or less rich he blackmails them instead of reporting back to whoever hired him.

ImageImageImage

11 Glen Elg
Debbie Kasbak
Crime: Credit Card Fraud
Debbie is a greater-than-average credit card fraud. She gathers her victims' personal information, makes a new credit card for their accounts, and starts spending like there's no tomorrow. When she's finally caught in court, she frantically searches her purse, and her fraudulent credit cards start flying out everywhere.
Last edited by Reecer6 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:00 am, edited 20 times in total.
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: Official AAO Competition: Taking the Highwayman

Post by kwando1313 »

at least it wasn't jaywalking

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Ooh, I wonder what I can think of for this? I would've done graffiti if it wasn't the example :trilo:
I'll think of something XD

(Also is this in the wrong section? I thought old comps get moved into this place and the current ones go in the main art thread?)
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

That's right, new topics should start in the art forum, not the competition forum. But it's here now! Good luck to the entrants!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
titleguy1
Spoken languages: English

Post by titleguy1 »

Very interesting idea. I might have to go Godfather on you.
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Hmm... I wonder how to go about this...
A short question before I begin with my idea... can my entry have two characters in one sprite (a-la Machi and Lamiroir)?
They're both under the same crime umbrella.. so to say (technically one is the criminal and the other is the victim)..
If not, I'll leave the latter of the two out.
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
Ann-nna
Spoken languages: English, German

Post by Ann-nna »

Can the crime be illegally living in a foreign country or it should be something visible in the sprite?
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

FenrirDarkWolf wrote:Can my entry have two characters in one sprite (a-la Machi and Lamiroir)?
Oh, I forgot to put that in the OP, but considering it's been allowed in every prior contest to recent memory, I definitely have no problem with that.
Ann-nna wrote:Can the crime be illegally living in a foreign country or it should be something visible in the sprite?
I mean, if you're not planning to make the character's defining feature determinable from the sprite, I'd be worried that it's not really a good design from the getgo, but with this specific crime, I'm not sure how you'd show it without a racist caricature...

I mean, I can't disallow it, but I'd really like to emphasize distinctive, communicative designs.
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
Ann-nna
Spoken languages: English, German

Post by Ann-nna »

Alright then, I'll try to think of something else. 8D
Aeliren
Spoken languages: English and French (Anglais et français).

Post by Aeliren »

Here's my entry:
Name: Dr. Charles Morthe-Rhoppe
Crime: Scamming, embezzlement
Bio: At first glance, Dr. Charles Morthe-Rhoppe is a laid-back but kind old man, if a bit eccentric and absent-minded. Having dedicated his late life to discovering the cure to cancer, Dr. Morthe-Rhoppe is currently the head of the Los Angeles Cancer Treatment Society, where he and his colleagues work daily in order to find a cure. However, lying behind the warm façade is a sleazy con artist who has been corrupted by greed and has scammed many people out of their money by using cancer as a front for his embezzlement and scamming activities.
Glen Elg

Post by Glen Elg »

That is probably the best frankenspriting I've ever seen where the frankenspriting is super clear. Like, I can tell where the parts are from, but it doesn't even matter because this actually looks like a completely new character instead of a mishmash of characters.

I'm hyped for this comp.
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Here's my entry!
Name: Kenn A. Byss
Crime: Purveyor of illicit substances
Bio: Kenn is a blunt man, and a purveyor of the dank variety.
His love for Mary Jane knows no bounds, and he is dedicated to finding that perfect nug.
He wears sunglasses to cover his eyes, but his breath is a dead giveaway XD
ImageImageImageImage
titleguy1

Post by titleguy1 »

I cringed at the Kenn A. Byss name very hard. That's a good thing, probably.

Anyways. I cannot make hair if my life depended on it, so I may need help with that at some point... Nice entries so far, though!
Aeliren
Spoken languages: English and French (Anglais et français).

Post by Aeliren »

Glen Elg wrote:That is probably the best frankenspriting I've ever seen where the frankenspriting is super clear. Like, I can tell where the parts are from, but it doesn't even matter because this actually looks like a completely new character instead of a mishmash of characters.

I'm hyped for this comp.
Thank you! :D
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

titleguy1 wrote:I cringed at the Kenn A. Byss name very hard. That's a good thing, probably.

Anyways. I cannot make hair if my life depended on it, so I may need help with that at some point... Nice entries so far, though!
Every AA character needs a horribly great pun name XD
And yeah hair is a pain. I had difficulty with making his look weed-like so I added the hat LOL
ImageImageImageImage