Official AAO Competition: Retro Redux (WINNER)

Compete with other members to create the best art following a given theme.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Ann-nna
Spoken languages: English, German

Re: Official AAO Competition: Retro Redux

Post by Ann-nna »

Great job! :D
Your entry has been added to the OP.
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

WOO first entry!
There's still time for others to get an entry in! If not we can always extend the deadline!
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
DarthWiader
Spoken languages: Polish, English

Post by DarthWiader »

Azalea Makepeace - a proud activist of a hippie movement that was popular in the 60's.

Azalea - azalea flower - It's also the colour of her glasses
Makepeace - to make peace (obviously ;P)

PS. Let's not beat around the bush here - the art contests are dying. And it's not because of this theme either: the interest in them in general seems to be dying off in the previous competition as well. Not an AAO thing either: art competitions on C-R have seen very little activity too. I've made this sprite to liven it up a bit, since it'd be a shame for the contest to end with only one participant.
I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
— Stanisław Lem
Ann-nna

Post by Ann-nna »

Another entry? Sweet! You have no idea how grateful I am. ;_; Looks amazing, too. :D
Added it to the OP.

Oh, thanks, I needed that part about the theme not being at fault, since I seriously thought it was the only cause.
And about the contests dying I, sadly, can't disagree. The lack of participants in both sites' competitions is kind of depressing. To me, at least.
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Post by Nicky Boy »

Oh my, she's really great! Time to get crushed and get back to making Isaac...
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Nice sprite Darth!
DarthWiader wrote: PS. Let's not beat around the bush here - the art contests are dying. And it's not because of this theme either: the interest in them in general seems to be dying off in the previous competition as well. Not an AAO thing either: art competitions on C-R have seen very little activity too. I've made this sprite to liven it up a bit, since it'd be a shame for the contest to end with only one participant.
And yeah. They'll only stay running if people are willing to enter, and have time to make a sprite. (The latter of which is the case for me most of the time T_T)
I also think the overall activity of the art threads here and on CR sorta show there's no activity in spriting in general as of late... some people do new pieces now and then, but there are only a few members who update frequently. It's not like years ago when these sections were much more active.

I'd like to think you didn't just make this sprite out of pity though!
Come to compete and have fun! Just see it as a challenge to create something in a pre-set theme to improve design skills!
ImageImageImageImage
Ann-nna

Post by Ann-nna »

Alright, folks, we're extending the deadline for 2 weeks. :D The contest will now end on July 4th.
Jofe
Spoken languages: Français [100%], English [70%]

Post by Jofe »

DarthWiader wrote:PS. Let's not beat around the bush here - the art contests are dying. And it's not because of this theme either: the interest in them in general seems to be dying off in the previous competition as well. Not an AAO thing either: art competitions on C-R have seen very little activity too. I've made this sprite to liven it up a bit, since it'd be a shame for the contest to end with only one participant.
Yes, it's sad.
On the other hand, it's the theme that doesn't inspire me personally. x)
I've been thinking about it for two weeks but nothing comes. Yes, I'm an unknown. Hello !
Image Image Image Image Image
Ann-nna

Re: Official AAO Competition: Retro Redux (Deadline extended

Post by Ann-nna »

To each their own, but writing that after I expressed my insecurities... Thank you very much. I've already blamed everything on my choice of theme.
I apologize for getting worked up over nothing, but it's my first time co-hosting, and these words hurt more than they probably should.
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Ann-nna wrote:To each their own, but writing that after I expressed my insecurities... Thank you very much. I've already blamed everything on my choice of theme.
I apologize for getting worked up over nothing, but it's my first time co-hosting, and these words hurt more than they probably should.
It's not your fault Ann-nna. I liked the theme, and thought it had a lot of potential for some creative ideas, so that's why I had no objections.
Please don't put yourself down over it! The last comp also took ages to get 3 contestants, so it's just the overall popularity of spriting that isn't as big as it used to be...

I just think there aren't as many people into spriting as there once was. Maybe 5/6 years ago when these threads were booming yeah, but now it's sad, but there's no real pull...
ImageImageImageImage
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Maybe to strike some inspiration, I'll pitch some ideas for people, who may like some help.

50's:
- swing dance styled outfits (Like Ann-nna's sprite)
- "dandy" characters, or "greasers" ; men with their hair slicked back, or pompadours, leather jackets (think Daryan without the sharks)

60's:
- Hippies
- Mod fashion (Like my example sprite)
- Think Austin Powers, something groovy

I'm trying to think of as many different styles as I can, but yeah, these are some options. Hope it strikes some inspiration/ideas!
ImageImageImageImage
FenrirDarkWolf
Spoken languages: English

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Blargl fargl
I keep meaning to enter these things but I just can never find the motivation.
But I'll try to whip up something
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
Jofe
Spoken languages: Français [100%], English [70%]

Post by Jofe »

Ann-nna wrote:To each their own, but writing that after I expressed my insecurities... Thank you very much. I've already blamed everything on my choice of theme.
Sorry, it wasn't the goal. And sorry do not read all posts, it would take me a lot of time to translate. x)
The theme isn't bad, far from it. It offers something that has not been seen in official games, so it's nice. But my knowledge of 50s summarizes to the lack of color in televisions of the time. xD
Image Image Image Image Image
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

To be honest I would absolutely have been interested if it had included the 70s. The only reason I didn't is because I'm not as big a fan of 50s and 60s aesthetics.

Considering the turnout, though, I'll see if I can't whip something up for this.
Ann-nna

Post by Ann-nna »

Jofe wrote: Sorry, it wasn't the goal. And sorry do not read all posts, it would take me a lot of time to translate. x)
The theme isn't bad, far from it. It offers something that has not been seen in official games, so it's nice. But my knowledge of 50s summarizes to the lack of color in televisions of the time. xD

And I'm, once again, sorry for overreacting. :oops:
That pretty much sums up my knowledge as well. XD
Lind wrote:To be honest I would absolutely have been interested if it had included the 70s. The only reason I didn't is because I'm not as big a fan of 50s and 60s aesthetics.

Considering the turnout, though, I'll see if I can't whip something up for this.
Hmm, yeah. We probably should've included the whole century. Why didn't I think of this... *facepalm*