Sprite Competition: All Creatures Great and Small [WINNER!]

Compete with other members to create the best art following a given theme.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

DarthWiader
Spoken languages: Polish, English

Sprite Competition: All Creatures Great and Small [WINNER!]

Post by DarthWiader »

Thanks to SuperAJ3, as his Frieda von Karma gave me an inspiration for this. :cute:
A princess and her puppy.
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!
Image RESULTS Image
3rd place
Jofe with one vote!
2nd place
SuperAj3 with two votes!
1st place
gotMLK7 with 5 votes! (including Spocker's vote)
Congratulations to everyone!
Spoiler : OP :
How would the world of Ace Attorney look like without animals? Cats, dogs, parrots, hawks, monkeys, orcas, penguins… We had tons of them! So, this time your entry should consist of a person and an animal. They both may be included on one and the same picture or two separate ones. All kind of animals are fine, but they have to be somehow related to your human character. A pet is an obvious choice, but maybe you want to try other options? Maybe your character is a farmer, a zookeeper, a circus artist or a veterinarian? Maybe they are a scientist and study the life of animals? Maybe they even conduct some illicit experiments on them? It's your choice.
Image RULES Image
  • All sprites that are entered should be made specifically for this competition.
  • Both scratch and frankenspriting are acceptable.
  • You can submit a whole sheet, animation(s), or just one sprite.
  • OCs are preferred, if you want to sprite a canon character instead, you have to give them a new outfit that is more than a simple recolor of already existing one.
  • You may submit as many entries as you wish, but please stick to one species/breed per entry. You may sprite more than one individual of the same species/breed, if necessary.
  • Sprites made in the style of Ghost Trick or Professor Layton are also acceptable.
  • As long as the submission period lasts, you have the right to update and improve your sprite.
Image HINTS Image
  • Seeing animals interacting with people is amusing! Try to emphasize the relation between your character and their animal companion.
  • There are no restrictions about size, but your animals should be recognizable enough. You cannot sprite a bunch of jumping pixels and call them 'fleas'. You may add a second picture drawn in different scale, if you absolutely have to.
  • An extinct or legendary creature (including cryptids) is acceptable, as long as you provide an explanation.
Image DEADLINE Image
As you may know, there is an official OC Competition running on CR (with real prizes),some of you probably want to participate in. Taking this fact into account, as well as more-complex-than-usual task, I set the deadline on February 28 March 25 April 1. The competition will continue until we have at least three participants. The competition won't be automatically closed after the 3rd participant comes in. So, if you're working on something, don't be afraid you'll lose your chance the very moment the 3rd person post their sprite.

The deadline can be extended if necessary (but I hope there won't be such need). Voting period will last for two weeks after submission close. The judging method will be a poll. As in previous competitions, the winner will have the privilege of hosting the next competition in the series.
Image ENTRANTS Image
Entry no.1: SuperAj3's Dustin and Pepper.
Meet Dustin, a young farmer, doing his best to take care of all the animals, and his favourite little pig, Pepper!
Dustin got too attached to Pepper as a kid, and has trained her to do all sorts of tricks whilst growing up!

Entry no.2: Jofe's Nestor Nithologist and Lucky the Bird.
The story of a solitary man who loved birds and a little fledgling chick. One day, a little bird lived in its nest with its mother. But alas, a predator arrived and killed the mother of the little bird ( :cry: ). His brothers and sisters perished with the nest while the little bird fell from the tree where the nest was laid. While everything seemed sealed, a man with a passion for birds passed right by the tree. The little bird lands on the young man's hair without injury. Since then, the little bird made its own nest on the young man's head and spent peaceful days. The End.

Entry no.3: gotMLK7's Gilbert Gold and his fish.

Meet Gilbert Gold, a festival goldfish vendor that has gotten a little too into the job after spending so much time around those fish.
Spoiler : Bonus full-size art :
I don't use the full art -> tiny sprite method often but felt like trying it out in a super fast manner while I had free time. Enjoy the source art (and the fish that got cut out from the sprite).
Last edited by DarthWiader on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:33 am, edited 10 times in total.
I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
— Stanisław Lem
FenrirDarkWolf
Spoken languages: English

Re: Sprite Competition: All Creatures Great and Small

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Ohohohohohohohoh.
This will be fun.
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

LOL somehow you snuck a peak at my CR OC comp entry as well, Darth!
I've got other ideas for this though, so I'll enter!
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
DarthWiader

Post by DarthWiader »

Time to stick this thread in place of the old one.
I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
— Stanisław Lem
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

If I'm slow in stickying something, just send me a PM.

Stickied, and good luck to the entrants!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
DarthWiader

Post by DarthWiader »

A friendly reminder: one month (+/- 1-2 days) left!
— Stanisław Lem
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

I started mine, don't worry! (Just having trouble drawing the animal LOL)
ImageImageImageImage
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Just sharing my entry's progress (I feel bad there's been no action here!
Spoiler : big pic :
A Farmer and (his yet-to-be-drawn) animal (whose species I'm not sure what will be as of yet)!
I had initially planned to do an Arctic explorer and a seal, but I couldn't draw the seal without thinking the eyes looked off, and I went through 3 different styles XD so I went with another idea in my mind XD)
Spoiler : It's not that bad, but yeah, hopefully switching ideas wasn't bad :
ImageImageImageImage
DarthWiader

Post by DarthWiader »

It's cool to see someone working on their sprite! I was almost afraid the task was too complicated this time. Keep it up! :D
— Stanisław Lem
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Finished my entry!

Meet Dustin, a young farmer, doing his best to take care of all the animals, and his favourite little pig, Pepper!
Dustin got too attached to Pepper as a kid, and has trained her to do all sorts of tricks whilst growing up!
Last edited by SuperAj3 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
DarthWiader

Post by DarthWiader »

Yeah! First entry! Added to the OP. I hope we see some more contestants soon... of course if you don't want to hog all the prize :lol:.

PS. I think Pepper is cute.
— Stanisław Lem
FenrirDarkWolf
Spoken languages: English

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Arggg, I have a really neat idea ;w;
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

(I updated my entry, as per usual XD) Edited my original post.
ImageImageImageImage
DarthWiader

Post by DarthWiader »

SuperAj3 wrote:(I updated my entry, as per usual XD) Edited my original post.
OP updated.
— Stanisław Lem
DarthWiader

Post by DarthWiader »

So, the deadline has passed and we have only one entrant. Is there anyone who's working on their sprite?

Should we postpone the competition?
— Stanisław Lem