Special event: The Bright Age of the Law Sprite competition

Compete with other members to create the best art following a given theme.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

AzuraKnight
Spoken languages: English

Re: Special event: The Bright Age of the Law Sprite competit

Post by AzuraKnight »

Hmn..if I can be arsed to animate and get it done in time, but I suppose on if it has to be -entirely- original or if frankensprites are allowed. since that's about all I can do. But even then, though I'm somewhat proud of it, I'm sure there's a lot better frankensprites out there.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

AzuraKnight wrote:Hmn..if I can be arsed to animate and get it done in time, but I suppose on if it has to be -entirely- original or if frankensprites are allowed. since that's about all I can do. But even then, though I'm somewhat proud of it, I'm sure there's a lot better frankensprites out there.
Of course frankensprites are allowed.

P.S: Still working on my entry. I have a few additional poses, but I'm revamping the base a bit to try to make the shading clearer.

Admittedly the base of the head is now pretty much nonexistent, which is good because I have had to switch between bases from pose to pose.
Tyadran

Post by Tyadran »

I might enter a fellow if this dude here seems appropriate and I can get him finished up in time.
This is the first AA sprite I've ever attempted, and I'm having a lot of trouble with animation, but hopefully I can pull it together in time. :D
You can tell that my animation is a little wonky. Hopefully I can get that fixed.
Sometimes, I mod games.
And sometimes, other games.
And even other times, I make videos of me playing games.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

Tyadran wrote:I might enter a fellow if this dude here seems appropriate and I can get him finished up in time.
This is the first AA sprite I've ever attempted, and I'm having a lot of trouble with animation, but hopefully I can pull it together in time. :D
You can tell that my animation is a little wonky. Hopefully I can get that fixed.
Good for a first attempt, actually. Most of the issues just come down to the animation, and all of it is fairly easy to fix up.

1. He has no teeth. Take a look at the open mouths of some other AA characters and try to make it look similar. Should probably just take a row of white.

2. His mouth needs a clearer outline. Try using a darker colour, like the shading at the bottom of his nose.

3. The animation timing, as you said, needs work. Here is how you should generally sequence it.

----Mouth closed
----Mouth open
----Mouth half-open
----Mouth open

This is the timing I usually use, if you want to give it a try:
Spoiler : :
-Closed (150ms)
-Open (150ms)
-Half-open (150ms)
-Open (150ms)

Repeat 4 times. After that, make a batch of frames like this:

-Closed (150ms)
-Open (150ms)
-Half-open (150ms)
-Open (50ms)
-Open, eyes half-closed (100ms)
-Closed, eyes closed (100ms)
-Closed, eyes half-closed (50ms)
-Open, eyes half-closed (50ms)
-Open (100ms)
-Half-Open (150ms)
-Open (150ms)
Best of luck, and please keep at it, because you've got some obvious potential here.
Tyadran

Post by Tyadran »

Good for a first attempt, actually. Most of the issues just come down to the animation, and all of it is fairly easy to fix up.

1. He has no teeth. Take a look at the open mouths of some other AA characters and try to make it look similar. Should probably just take a row of white.

2. His mouth needs a clearer outline. Try using a darker colour, like the shading at the bottom of his nose.

3. The animation timing, as you said, needs work. Here is how you should generally sequence it.

----Mouth closed
----Mouth open
----Mouth half-open
----Mouth open

Best of luck, and please keep at it, because you've got some obvious potential here.
Thanks a lot for the tips for the tips. Let's see now...
Here's what it currently looks like, before I saw your post:
Spoiler : Current Version :
(A little mishap made his mouth the wrong color and I just noticed it, so I'll have to fix that.)
1. I opted for no teeth simply because I couldn't make them look right. I'll try to add them back in, but I was having trouble with the angle of his mouth and not making the teeth look weird. He has them in his current deskslam animation though:
Spoiler : Deskslam :
(See what I mean? I can't get them to look right.)
2. Noted. Any other outline tips? I have a bad tendency to outline too much in pure black, partially because I'm just a terrible newbie at spriting. :larry:

3. I'll give that a try and update this post once I've done so.

As for doing more, I took a little bit of time off of Alan Light here to start work on my prosecutor (I'm working on sprites for my own case, just felt like I should enter Alan in the contest if I finish while I was at it):
Spoiler : Damien Umbra :
----------
Updated:
Sometimes, I mod games.
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

It looks like you're using Mia as a base. Why don't you have a close look at the timings for some help? If you have GIMP, disable layers one at a time or go to tools->animations->playback and play the sprite one one frame at a time?

For half-mouth animation, it's usually a lot smaller than the fully open mouths, usually as if the character is saying "o", but a lot smaller, as in
:-) :-D :-o :-D :-) (focus on the mouth openings, not the expressions these smileys express)
Tyadran

Post by Tyadran »

E.D.Revolution wrote:It looks like you're using Mia as a base. Why don't you have a close look at the timings for some help? If you have GIMP, disable layers one at a time or go to tools->animations->playback and play the sprite one one frame at a time?

For half-mouth animation, it's usually a lot smaller than the fully open mouths, usually as if the character is saying "o", but a lot smaller, as in
:-) :-D :-o :-D :-) (focus on the mouth openings, not the expressions these smileys express)
I'm only using her eye and face, really, but yeah. I am using GIMP, and I'm using the timings Lind provided, which I think look fine. What's wrong with the updated version?

I understand what you mean with the mouth thing, though, and I agree that mine is kind of terrible at that. Is this any better? Obviously a different pose, but in the mouth-movement respect:
Spoiler : Deskslam Speaking :
Sometimes, I mod games.
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Hmm... That mouth still looks wrong. Perhaps the half open should have the sides of the mouth moved inward. He looks like his teeth are clattering (unless that was the intended effect). Try to look at this sprite of Franziska as an example. Also, the chin/jaw seems to be moving very oddly, like left/right instead of up/down.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

The real issue with your teeth is that they move. You need to have the teeth be in the exact same place, and have the lips move around them.
Tyadran

Post by Tyadran »

Lind wrote:The real issue with your teeth is that they move. You need to have the teeth be in the exact same place, and have the lips move around them.
Hmm, I see. I'll have to work on that.
Let's please move any more discussion of my sprites over to http://www.aceattorney.sparklin.org/for ... =30&t=9979, because I feel like I'm unintentionally derailing this topic.
Sometimes, I mod games.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

MUST... FINISH... ENTRY...

Seriously though, I've nearly done an absurdly difficult base sprite that I have spent an entire month trying to get right. About three of her poses will be done from this sprite, so with any luck, and a lot of caffeine, I can finish it.
Nearavex

Post by Nearavex »

Hm? So, are we to expect another entry from you?
Av by ticcy
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Lind wrote:MUST... FINISH... ENTRY...
Good luck. And to anyone else who is trying to finish last-minute.

This deadline crept up really fast, it's a little worrying. I still have to fix the other entry and finish three more sprites for another because it was a good idea to restart at the time... :gumshoe:
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
~Dataman~
Spoken languages: English and finnish.

Post by ~Dataman~ »

Here's my entry. :jake: I'm pretty impressed with it myself. The strange looking thing in his face is a scar. I made the thing because I'm sick of all the character getting scar over eye and wanted to do something different to my character.
Spoiler : :
Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
My DeviantArt My Youtube Channel
Anime is awesome! Watch my Anime Sword Techniques series in my Youtube channel! Currently I have covered Gatotsu, Yontoryu, Santoryu, Hiten Mitsurugi, Seven Swords Dance, Wattoujutsu, Scissorblade, Kamiya Kasshin and more is coming! :)

My Art Thread
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

Nearavex wrote:Hm? So, are we to expect another entry from you?
Another? This is the same entry. I only posted the base sprite before, and that was because I was fishing for opinions. I haven't properly shown off any of her finished poses yet.