[Bug][P] Characters Erase True for Place?!

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

[Bug][P] Characters Erase True for Place?!

Post by Enthalpy »

Somehow, ED got characters_erase_previous set to true for many or all of his investigation frames in the first investigation of this trial, causing the set character to frequently disappear when buttons are pressed. This may be related to an issue reported by nevfx where an impossible attribute was similarly found. For reference, nevfx told me:
nevfx wrote:I clicked on "Advance Mode" or whatever its called, I didn't click anything however. I have just used the standard editor, I don't mess with the core code as I simply don't understand it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/763 ... %20262.png

Using that to illustrate my explanation I prepared the frames before it, told the player what to do, flashed the life points and set the frame up. I opened it again to double check it, I pressed the advance mode button, clicked all of then load from runtime expression buttons, (to see what they did...) that made everything i put in disappear, so I clicked cancel.
Spoiler : Archived :

Browser: Mozilla Firefox 36
Links: v6 Native
Description: The character set to appear on the player disappears when Move/Talk/Examine/Present is selected.
How to Reproduce: Select "Hide previously shown characters" in "Main frame screen editor." Previous characters appear to be hidden even if the button is not checked, so it is possible this is not a glitch, but bad wording of the check box description.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: [Bug?][P] Hide Previous In Place Blocks Hides Current

Post by Unas »

? I just tried playing your link and for me Trucy does not disappear.
Using Firefox 36 on Windows at the moment, but I'm not sure how this could be affected by the browser or OS.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Re: [Bug?][P] Hide Previous In Place Blocks Hides Current

Post by Enthalpy »

Weird.

I can definitely reproduce the glitch here, and I thought I had the glitch reproduced in a demo, but now that demo doesn't work for me either. I'll keep working at it and see if I can re-reproduce it.

EDIT: I found out what's causing the glitch, but it... shouldn't exist. The problem with ED's example is that "characters_erase_previous" is somehow true for all the relevant frames. No wonder my original demo didn't work! I'm more concerned with how ED got that in the first place. I doubt he was monkeying around with the direct JSON, and this isn't the first time I've seen impossible code...
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Re: [Bug][P] Characters Erase True for Place?!

Post by Unas »

Thanks for pointing at Nevfx's topic, I had not seen it. (I don't check the Help section with as much attention as I do the bug reports ;-) )

My first supposition for this kind of issues (code present in the file when the editor is not currently able to generate it this way) would be that these trials were converted from V5 and the converter made a mistake.
It's likely the case for the locks_show_return thing.

Other possibility is that the code was generated by an older version of the editor, where such a construct was possible.
It might be the case for this characters_erase_previous issue : it's possible that I somehow set it to true on these frames in an older version of the editor.

I'll have to check these cases in more detail...
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

A related case. lotsoflego's Turnabout Reborn recently had the following in its trial_data.

{"id":2,"name":"Detention Center","background":{"image":"Ace2:true,"popups":[% Attorney 1/Parloir","external":false,"hidden":false},"positions":[],"background_objects":[],"foreground_objects":[]}

The bolded part is the part that shouldn't be there. It begins with the Unicode null character \x00, but I've removed it here.

I've already fixed his trial, but... this data corruption shouldn't even be here. lotsof says there was no direct trial data manipulation, and that he didn't do anything unusual with the editor.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

I don't see how it's related, but this is litterally an impossible issue...
This is not even correctly formatted JSON - and the editor can only send for saving the JSON serialised form of trial data.

Assuming that browsers' JSON serialisation implementation is correct (and I'm pretty sure it is), two possible issues : the trial data was randomly messed up during the transfer for some reason, or it was randomly messed up while writing the file on my server's hard drive...

I guess I could enforce a hash computation and comparison while saving to avoid the first issue. As for a second, I don't know : it looks kind of like the file was written as the same time by two different processes, but that's supposedly not possible, I think the OS should lock it while writing. I guess I'll have to check that.
ImageImageImage
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

To be honest, I have no idea how that happened. I haven't touched it in a while, and it's just a series of sandbox experiments. I didn't try to do anything advanced so...
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I'm inclined to close these issues.

This could very easily be a problem with versions of the editor which don't exist know, which makes this... nigh impossible to track.