Video Tutorials

All discussions regarding the AAOv6 Beta, be it bug reports or suggestions, should be posted in this section.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Meph
Spoken languages: English

Video Tutorials

Post by Meph »

Video Tutorials
Since we'll need to completely rewrite the help documentation for AAO6 and I've now got a laptop with a webcam, I thought "Why not make video tutorials?" My mic is built into my laptop, so the audio quality isn't great. Also, I can only create these when I'm alone in the house, so that no one thinks I'm talking to myself. So I don't get many opportunities to make them. :P At least they're in HD. Anyway, enjoy...

Basic Tutorial

(I forgot to mention how to do pop-ups in this one, so I'll add it when I get the chance.)
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Re: Video Tutorials

Post by enigma »

WOAH! Meph's name is ***********! OMG!!!
Last edited by Meph on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please don't mention my name on here. :P
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

I don't want to be your keyboard, that is some brutal typing O_O

Anyway, this is very usual and much better than a block of text explaining the process XD
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Meph

Post by Meph »

Trybien wrote:I don't want to be your keyboard, that is some brutal typing O_O
I never asked you to be my keyboard. But it's not brutal typing. It's just a loud keyboard with a mic pretty much inside it. :P
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Well in that case XD

Make more of these O_O
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
deHughes

Post by deHughes »

Meph, I'm sorry, but I can't even watch that video for more than 30 seconds. Everything hurts my ears. You're voice is getting somewhat distorted from bad mic quality and the keys making noise is intolerable. These just cannot be the tutorials for AAO because it gives us an awfully low quality standard right off the bat.

If you can do the commentary in post, when you don't have to type, then that would improve quality about 20 fold right off the bat. But even then, I would look into getting a new person to do the commentary tracks for the video because of mic quality. A good, clear voice will turn the reaction of someone watching from "I don't know about this" into a "Yeah, I think I may give this a try" due to quality of the presentation. It would also make the learning process much easier.

A post-commentary version of this would be pretty easy to make, and may even be quicker to make than what you have to do now because of limited time. Basically, I'd see you (as someone who knows what he is doing in the editor) recording the topic of interest, and writing a basic script of what needs to be said for another person to read out. This can even be as simple as just writing down notes of what steps need to be taken, and then expanded upon by whoever is reading out the script themselves. You edit together a muted video, commentary track, and maybe a small bit of music in the background, and you got a much more solid tutorial for consumption by the public. As for the quicker to produce idea, I would think that it would be easier to just open up the webcam, film the screen for a bit to get all needed footage, write down some notes on the subject, zip it together and send it off to another person than waiting for the entire house to be empty. So I would think it may work a bit faster.

Unfortunately, I don't think the quality could be up to the standard of the editor's tech unless it is done in post. But I hope that you can consider the idea, as it could make things quite a bit easier on you, and create a better final product. And since I just complained and insulted on something that probably took you quite a bit of effort, I have to say that it is a very good idea and that I'd be open to do the voice over and editing for you. It's much, much easier to record 20 minutes of solo commentary than to arrange a 4 person, hour long podcast, after all. :P Wouldn't take too much time or effort out of my day should notes be given telling me how to actually do the actions.

(And I'm only complaining because video tutorials would help SOOOOO MUCH if done well. Actually seeing someone do more complex commands over just reading about it? Yes, please!)

Anyways, that's my two cents.
ImageImageLevel:15ImageLevel:5ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15ImageLevel:15

Tasha Krantz sprite courtesy of gotMLK7.
Meph

Post by Meph »

Lol. It's strange how some people have painful reactions to low quality mics. I guess it's probably something to do with your speakers, because it's fine for me. But yeah, it's a problem that needs to be sorted out.

But normally, the problem is not time, but whether or not I'm alone in the house in order to record it. :XD: And it'd be nice if I could get a better mic; not just for this, but for video calling as well. I'll see what I can do.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Meph wrote:Lol. It's strange how some people have painful reactions to low quality mics. I guess it's probably something to do with your speakers, because it's fine for me.
It's probably something to do with your speakers : if you use speakers integrated in your laptop, they are likely not to render low frequencies well, so perhaps you don't hear the typing noise too much.
But I can assure you that for people with correctly balanced speakers, it's definitely annoying. I wouldn't go so far as "painful", but still... :wink:
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
deHughes

Post by deHughes »

I just have a problem with audio problems as a whole. I can't even watch my own streams without flinching at how badly balanced the music is to my voice. Using in-ear, outside audio canceling earbuds also does not help when a problem arises. I hear static in my ear, I run in horror; screaming like I'm from a 1960s horror movie. It's probably not painful for most, but oh god it sends me up walls.

Anyways, you can't simply record your desktop when people are at home, and then mute it in editing? I mean, it'd be weird to explain the first time, but it would just sizzle down into "oh that crazy child of mine and his internets" after a few times. I'd assume, I can't actually say for sure because I'm not your family. :P

Meph

Post by Meph »

Unas wrote:It's probably something to do with your speakers : if you use speakers integrated in your laptop, they are likely not to render low frequencies well, so perhaps you don't hear the typing noise too much.
No, I use good headphones. ;) But the typing sounds isn't as much of an issue as the whisping sounds you can sometimes get with low-quality mics.
deHughes wrote:I mean, it'd be weird to explain the first time, but it would just sizzle down into "oh that crazy child of mine and his internets" after a few times. I'd assume, I can't actually say for sure because I'm not your family. :P
What are you talking about? I'm in university accommodation. :P There's six people in this house and at least one of them is always in.
And I'm not a child, so I don't know what you're trying to say, there. :P
deHughes

Post by deHughes »

YOU'RE NOT A CHILD WOAH MIND BLOWN

No, but I know some people have really weird, judgmental parents who are afraid of this internet thing. Like mine. And look at Mr. Meph, living in the party house. I expected better from you, young man!

Meph

Post by Meph »

deHughes wrote:And look at Mr. Meph, living in the party house. I expected better from you, young man!
I'll have you know we all like to stay in at our house!

Wait... That made us sound really boring.
GanonZD
Spoken languages: English, Danish, German, a tiny bit French

Post by GanonZD »

Have all of you started socializing in here without me? :tigre:

Well, let me join in then: What are you studying, Meph? :-)
Ganon er kommt zum Dorf.
Meph

Post by Meph »

I was kind of hoping the conversation would die out after my post, since it's going a bit off topic. :XD: If you want, you can ask me that in the ToR or in a PM. :)
DKJustice1

Post by DKJustice1 »

:holdit: ...Anyway.. let me just get this thing back on topic. The mic indeed is fuzzy and the keyboard noise is horrible.

However, It is entertaining to see how quickly things do somewhat go off topic

It is very hard to hear what you are saying.

I had to watch it again with the volume up the key board is loud I have to admit mine it is a similar set up.
Maybe a stand alone mic would work better?

Anyway back on topic great video I was rather impressed. Well done Meph.

Totally brilliant job!
Ace Attorney Poem.

What a crime is done.
Gumshoe's has come.
His name is Dick.
It's a point and click.

To find a clue
or maybe a few.
To made your point of view.

In the trial
where every one stares
the judge does glare.