Pre-Witness Testimony/Cross-Examination Sequence Tutorial

Get started with the upcoming AAO version 6.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Was this tutorial helpful?

Thanks! This really helped!
88%
Meh.
4%
This tutorial didn't even answer my question...
8%

Total votes: 25

1230james
Spoken languages: English

Post by 1230james »

New and improved for AAO v6! Written in simplified American English!

[Materials]
Before we begin, we need our materials!

You will need...
1. Witness Testimony image*
2. Cross-Examination image*
3. Testimony sound-effects*
4. AAO v6 Trial Editor

*Images and sound-effects provided at the bottom of the page.

[Preparation Instructions]
1. Open up your trial using the v6 Trial Editor.
2. Once everything loads, click the Popups button on the top-right corner of your screen.
3. On your screen, you should see a big, blue button labeled "Add a Popup." Go ahead and click it.
4. A box should appear with all sorts of different options and whatnot. We'll call it a Popup Box. Ignore it for now and click "Add a Popup" one more time.
5. If everything was done correctly, you should now have two Popup Boxes with the options and stuff.
6. On your first Popup Box, click the empty text input next to "Popup name" and let's name this one Testimony.
7. On your second Popup Box, do the same thing, but name the second one Exam.
8. Now, click the button labeled Use external icon on both Popup Boxes.
9. There should now be an empty text input labeled Popup image URL.
10. Scroll down to the bottom of THIS TUTORIAL and find the Witness Testimony link.
11. You should now see the Witness Testimony image on your screen. Now, copy the URL.
12. Go back to the Trial Editor and paste the URL into the Popup image URL box.
13. Press Enter/Return.
14. If all goes well, you should now see the same Witness Testimony image in the Popup Box. Yay!
15. Repeat for your 2nd Popup Box, but remember to open the Cross-Examination link, this time.
16. Once you're done with that, click the Sounds button on the top-right.
17. This looks familiar, doesn't it? So go click the Add a new sound button.
18. Wow, everything looks almost exactly the same! Go ahead and we'll name this new sound; T/CE SFX.
19. Done with that? Let's select click the Use external mp3 button.
20. Scroll down to the bottom of THIS TUTORIAL again, and find the Full Testimony link.
21. Open it, and copy the URL for that file too.
22. Going back to the Trial Editor, paste the link into the File URL box.
23. You can ignore the sound volume.
24. Congratulations! You are finished with the Preparation portion!

[Witness Testimony Instructions]
1. Now that you have your resources ready to go, let's get to the fun part! Go ahead and click the Storyboard button on the top-right.
2. Scroll down to where your witness is going to testify. Enter all the pre-testimony dialogue you want.
3. After you enter your dialogue, insert 4 more frames.
4. With the first frame: set the Place to Black Background. Then, set the Wait for timer to 2000
5. With the second frame: set the Place to Courtroom Benches. (PW or AJ, your choice!) Then, set the Wait for timer to 500.
6. With the third frame: use the Screen Editor button and add a Popup. Choose Testimony to use as the popup, then click Confirm.
7. Next, set the Wait for timer to 2700.
8. Then, set the Sound to T/CE SFX.
9. With the fourth frame: click the text box to enter dialogue.
10. Enter the dialogue like this:
You might be wondering: How the heck did you center it? I'll cover that later. For now, just do your best to copy this.
(Note: Do NOT use spaces. That will NOT work.)
I never noticed that spaces can be used. The trick listed below WILL work for both v5 and v6, but not v5.
11. Congratulations, you are done with the witness testimony sequence!

[Cross-Examination Instructions]
1. The CE instructions will be almost identical to the testimony's. But there are some differences, so pay attention.
2. Scroll down to where your pre-cross-examination dialogue ends.
3. After the dialogue, insert 4 more frames.
4. With the first frame: set the Place to Black Background. Then, set the Wait for timer to 2000
5. With the second frame: set the Place to Courtroom Benches. (PW or AJ, your choice!) Then, set the Wait for timer to 500.
6. With the third frame: use the Screen Editor button and add a Popup. Choose Exam to use as the popup, then click Confirm.
7. Next, set the Wait for timer to 2700.
8. Then, set the Sound to T/CE SFX.
9. With the fourth frame: click the text box to enter dialogue.
10. Enter the dialogue the same as described above.
11. Congratulations! You are done with the pre-CE sequence, which means you are done with this tutorial!

[How to Center]
You see how that's centered? You want to know how to do it? Well, it's easy as pie!

1. Double-check to make sure that whatever you type will appear in front of the --.
2. Press Alt and enter 255 using the Number Pad, as it only works on the Number Pad.

Some keyboards, like laptop keyboards, don't necessarily have a Number Pad when you first glance at it. But here's an alternate solution:
3. Somewhere on your keyboard is a Function key. It should be labeled as Fn.
4. Notice the color of the Fn key. Now, look to where the letters J, K and L are. You see squares with similar colors? Oh wait, are those NUMBERS inside those squares? Hey wait, these numbered squares kind of resemble a NUMBER PAD! You see where I'm getting at?
5. Now that you know that your keyboard has a secret Number Pad, repeat steps 1 and 2, but remember to press and hold the Fn key too!
Remember, this alternate Number Pad is only available on keyboard that don't already have a separate Number Pad.

[Sources]
Witness Testimony (image): http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1516 ... imated.gif
Cross-Examination (image): http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1516 ... imated.gif
Full Testimony (sound): http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1516 ... timony.mp3

[Credits and other Side Notes]
-If you have any questions, post a reply. I'm willing to answer all questions I can!

-Credit goes to E.D.Revolution for the original version of this tutorial made for v5. I really appreciate how you had that available, and I was able to experiment and perfect that tutorial. And now, I am here, making the same tutorial, but with my tweaks and for v6. Many thanks to you! Credit also goes to E.D.Revolution for the .gifs and .mp3s. (Hosted on my own Dropbox, as requested)

-Remember, these instructions are specifically written to be used in the v6 Trial Editor!!!

-Now that you're probably done with the Cross-Examination sequence, you can go ahead and use E.D.Revolution's tutorial on making a good cross-examination using the v6 Trial Editor! Click here!
Last edited by 1230james on Mon May 19, 2014 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Work in progress stuff. Links go nowhere significant yet, so don't bother clicking.
ImageImage
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Re: Pre-Witness Testimony/Cross-Examination Sequence Tutoria

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Hey man, thanks for making this guide. I was about to do it myself, but I'm focusing on the harder aspects of v6.

A few things:
  • I have a policy that if you're going to use my images (Unfortunately, those are my links), download it yourself and upload it to your own dropbox, imgur, w.e. Dropbox does have a bandwidth limit and I don't want to get a notification saying I've used up my bandwidth for the day.
  • Seems to be incomplete. May want to try to add the AAI stuff, y'know, the Argument and Rebuttal stuff.
  • The Witness Testimony Sequence, as I call it, includes the actual testimony. You may want to add some of that information in. For AAI, the Argument Sequence includes the actual Argument.
  • Your method of ordering the frames... Is similar to what many people do on PyWright, which is a bit ugly. Sorry for that. What I would do, which actually works wonders, is fix the 3rd and 4th frames for the Witness Testimony. The third frame will have the popup, the sfx, AND the text. Put a [#p25]tag at the beginning of the line and a [#p250] at the end of the line (play around with the timing depending on length of the actual title). Then, merge with the 4th frame with the popup for the Testimony blinker (the green text on the upper left corner.) No wait timers for frames 3 and 4.

For the CE sequence, do the same thing, except the 4th frame should have nothing on it. A variant for the CE sequence is to have the popups in this order (for the 3rd frame): The VS screen then the CE popup.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Just one thing : in V6 normal spaces work for centering.
Please don't advise people to use ugly stuff (like unicode fake space characters) when not necessary :-P
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
1230james

Post by 1230james »

E.D.Revolution wrote:Hey man, thanks for making this guide. I was about to do it myself, but I'm focusing on the harder aspects of v6.

A few things:
  • I have a policy that if you're going to use my images (Unfortunately, those are my links), download it yourself and upload it to your own dropbox, imgur, w.e. Dropbox does have a bandwidth limit and I don't want to get a notification saying I've used up my bandwidth for the day.
  • Seems to be incomplete. May want to try to add the AAI stuff, y'know, the Argument and Rebuttal stuff.
  • The Witness Testimony Sequence, as I call it, includes the actual testimony. You may want to add some of that information in. For AAI, the Argument Sequence includes the actual Argument.
  • Your method of ordering the frames... Is similar to what many people do on PyWright, which is a bit ugly. Sorry for that. What I would do, which actually works wonders, is fix the 3rd and 4th frames for the Witness Testimony. The third frame will have the popup, the sfx, AND the text. Put a [#p25]tag at the beginning of the line and a [#p250] at the end of the line (play around with the timing depending on length of the actual title). Then, merge with the 4th frame with the popup for the Testimony blinker (the green text on the upper left corner.) No wait timers for frames 3 and 4.

For the CE sequence, do the same thing, except the 4th frame should have nothing on it. A variant for the CE sequence is to have the popups in this order (for the 3rd frame): The VS screen then the CE popup.
Alright, I'll move the images and sound to my own Dropbox when I can. (Currently on iPad atm. :gumshoe:)
I'll try experimenting with what you said. I'll make an update when I figure it out exactly.
Unas wrote:Just one thing : in V6 normal spaces work for centering.
Please don't advise people to use ugly stuff (like unicode fake space characters) when not necessary :-P
Wait, you can do that?! :shock:
Work in progress stuff. Links go nowhere significant yet, so don't bother clicking.
ImageImage
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

I don't know if there's any taboo against replying to a tutorial, but I wanted to say that this really helped! Thank you for making it and for letting people use your sound and .gif resources (you did say to use the links in the tutorial, so it's all cool, right?)!
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
1230james

Post by 1230james »

calvinball wrote:I don't know if there's any taboo against replying to a tutorial, but I wanted to say that this really helped! Thank you for making it and for letting people use your sound and .gif resources (you did say to use the links in the tutorial, so it's all cool, right?)!
What? People actually REPLIED to anything I made?

You're very welcome. ^^
I would recommend downloading the files to host on your own cloud if you can; makes it easier for you to manage files in case if I mess around with my dropbox.
ImageImage
EdgeRP
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese-BR

Post by EdgeRP »

Hey there. I know this post is ancient, but these links for the sounds and gifs also do not work.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

See here for some updated links. Those will be coming into main AAO on the next update.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson