Getting Started with the AAO Trial Editor (V6)

Get started with the upcoming AAO version 6.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

drvonkitty
Spoken languages: English

Re: Getting Started with AAO V6 (Complete!)

Post by drvonkitty »

Proton wrote:Hey drvon, to ensure speedy viewing of the page, can you...revamp your intro? It took me a minute to load the page due to the sprite images that had to be displayed. I want to get straight into the content you know?
Yeah, I think I'll just remove it. It was... funny?... a while ago. Maybe not so much now.

Mr. Onizuka
Spoken languages: English, Español

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

Question!

I'm making a dummy case for practice, and I'm trying to do everything I've seen in actual AA games. One thing I'm not managing to pull off, however, is making the screen slowly fade to black, and then come back at the same speed (for example, when the judge says: "You may call in your wtness" the screen slowly becomes black, and when it clears, we are watching at the witness). Is there a way to do that with the editor?
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

Mr. Onizuka wrote:Question!

I'm making a dummy case for practice, and I'm trying to do everything I've seen in actual AA games. One thing I'm not managing to pull off, however, is making the screen slowly fade to black, and then come back at the same speed (for example, when the judge says: "You may call in your wtness" the screen slowly becomes black, and when it clears, we are watching at the witness). Is there a way to do that with the editor?
Answer!

Nope, there's no built in way to do that with the editor, and as far as I'm aware, there's no plan to have a way to do so. It's acceptable to just use a black screen on a timer as a replacement, but if you're really going for authenticity, you're going to have to either use an apng or an SVG. Just to compare them...

apng:

Not compatible in Chrome.
Easy to make relative to SVGs.
Work like gifs, but as a png.
Commonly used on AAO
Have a strange popping effect on my end, but that could just be related to the apng fade I created.

SVG:

Complicated file format
Very hard to make
Compatible(ish???) with Chrome and firefox
Good for customizing (speed etc)

Neither are officially supported on AAO, though.

Mr. Onizuka

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

Uh, sorry for asking the obvious, but... what are "apng" and "SVG"? And... how to use them? (read your guide, and didn't find them). By the way, played a little of Chris Tenson. It looks quite...good. The transitions between the benches are awesome, and you use a trick for the "fade to black slowly, and them coming back from it". Good job!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

.apng and .svg are file extensions that support animation and translucency. A .apng image is simply a .png with those added features. They're nice and easy to host, but difficult to make. You'd have to do your own research on how to make those.

.svg images are images that are "made of" a web page. For example, this is a .svg image, but you can view its source code. Hosting these is much harder, and unless you already have a Dropbox account that enables hotlinking, I suspect that you'll need to pay to get a service that hosts these, or borrow from somebody who has paid for such a service. (In particular, Ferdielance has been willing to let people use his accounts for limited file hosting.)
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Mr. Onizuka

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

Enthalpy wrote:.apng and .svg are file extensions that support animation and translucency. A .apng image is simply a .png with those added features. They're nice and easy to host, but difficult to make. You'd have to do your own research on how to make those.

.svg images are images that are "made of" a web page. For example, this is a .svg image, but you can view its source code. Hosting these is much harder, and unless you already have a Dropbox account that enables hotlinking, I suspect that you'll need to pay to get a service that hosts these, or borrow from somebody who has paid for such a service. (In particular, Ferdielance has been willing to let people use his accounts for limited file hosting.)
Thanks for your answer. Regarding hotlinking from Dropbox, isn't that what we do when we put assets in the Public folder and get the link form there?
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

If you have a public folder, yes. No free Dropbox account created in the last several months will have such a folder, however.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

It is possible to use free web hosts for .svgs too, I believe. I use one myself and have encountered no problems so far.

Maybe we need a terminology guide somewhere on this site too.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

As soon as the tutorial comp is over I'm going to completely revamp this guide and hopefully include something like that. It has pretty bad formatting right now imo, so that's going to be the major focus for the revamp.

E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Enthalpy wrote:.apng and .svg are file extensions that support animation and translucency. A .apng image is simply a .png with those added features. They're nice and easy to host, but difficult to make. You'd have to do your own research on how to make those.
It's not more difficult to make, just more annoying to make, especially if you're using GIMP. I'm pretty sure a plugin exists for this for GIMP, but it is very annoying to set up. Without the plugin working properly you'd just have to export the frames and then use an alternate program to compile it. I kinda did cover how to make apngs here as the last part, even though APNGs are not the focus on the guide.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Actually, heads up. Even with the plugin for GIMP, apngs are still a pain, because they don't actually replace the frame that is on the apng, which leads to thickness issues. I just use another program to compile my apngs because... Well, I had issues with the frames not being replaced in GIMP.

SVGs are, though, a pain to make if you don't have the proper tools.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

kwando1313 wrote:SVGs are, though, a pain to make if you don't have the proper tools.
...What do you mean? I thought they're just difficult to learn for non-programmers.
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

mercurialSK wrote:
kwando1313 wrote:SVGs are, though, a pain to make if you don't have the proper tools.
...What do you mean? I thought they're just difficult to learn for non-programmers.
Most people here aren't really programmers though. xP

(I would consider a decent programming background a proper tool. Granted, there are also svg editors like Inkscape...)

Though, wondering... Does v6 even natively support svgs? Or do we still have to do that weird redirection trick where you have to fool it into thinking it's a png?

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Eh... It might take some knowledge in programming (markup languages, more specifically.. which means HTML and XML for those who know either but don't know they're markup languages) to pick up entirely, but markup languages are fairly approachable.
I might write a guide once I find some free time, since .svgs aren't something I think classifying as "programmers only" is correct. They might be written in code but they're nothing like programming at all XD
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

I guess? Just... Well, I'm not even sure if svgs are allowed to be natively hosted on AAO, because... If they aren't, you still have to go through the hassle of doing that weird file faking up that Ferdie mentioned before...