Getting Started with the AAO Trial Editor (V6)

Get started with the upcoming AAO version 6.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

Re: Getting Started with AAO V6 (Complete!)

Post by mercurialSK »

Well, they seem to work for me without having to do anything special, so I have no idea what you mean by "file faking up thing", and they're a fairly versatile file format which I think could be pretty beneficial to a lot of people so that's why I was contemplating it? Although, .svgs can be embedded in webpages by treating them as an image, so like with img tags they work too.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Oh you don't? You can just put them in by themselves? Huh. I thought they didn't embed nicely. My bad then. I thought that they had to be faked into pngs before used as a svg.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Well, honestly I think svg support is a little iffy in AAO - I never checked it specifically. It seems to work fine in most cases though, seeing what Ferdie is about to do with it.

Also, Ferdie used to fake the URL to one ending in ".png" so that the V5 would accept it, but V6 does not enforce file extension as V5 did.
On V6, a URL ending with ".svg" will be recognised as a bad URL and the URL input field will turn red - but you are not prevented from putting it in of you're sure of what you're doing, and the editor will attempt to use it like any other image.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Thanks, I see. Pretty much all browsers support it embedded as img now, so yeah.

Well, the only thing I've noticed (other than the input field turning red) is that they don't "reload" in Chrome, since you haven't implemented that trick for them. I think there may be a few other quirks to do with them mainly in regards to a possible inability to preload any embedded images since it played up a little for our comp entry but I haven't had the chance to investigate that too closely for now.

If you'd rather keep svg support more "unofficial"-like, I can always hold off doing it and stuff. Personally though other than the reloading trick I don't think there are any issues.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
CoolPhoenix2014
Spoken languages: English,portugues(Brazil)

Post by CoolPhoenix2014 »

How do I export images?!
Like a peaceful background?
:gumshoe:
:tigre:
Need help!!!
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

Hm... I'm a bit confused as to what you're asking. You can add a custom image as a background by checking the "External background" box when making a place, and then pasting in a (not hotlinked!!!) image url, such as one from imgur.

drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

Revamp for this guide is en route. Expect it within a couple of weeks, since I have exams coming up and then a break where I should have some time to get it cleaned up and re-formatted.

TommySuperNova

Post by TommySuperNova »

Hey Drvonkitty,
Really nice and helpful tutorial you got there. I found a lot of good use out of it.

Quick question about the V6 editor. Does the editor have a duplicate function? I know I can just copy/paste the writing in frames to have the same result... But is there a way to duplicate investigation scenes or even trials so I wouldn't have to rebuild old locations and re-add their 'examine' polygons?

HMM :godot: Or is it okay to have the investigation and trials all on one file?
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

There is currently no duplicate feature for the editor. If you have an investigation scene (say, Wright Anything Agency), but there are several versions of it, you'll have to remake it each time individually. For the examines, with some variable tricks, you could set it up to redirect to an old examine conversation and then redirect back to the new conversation. I'm awful at variables though, so I'm probably not the one to ask if you need to know how to do that.

I'm not sure what you mean with "all on one file", though. You're going to have to have several different investigation and cross-examination blocks, if that's your question. If you're referring to the parts as a whole, sometimes you will need to split them up into multiple different parts. This is usually only for long trials, but there isn't really a standard to follow. If it's a logical break, then something like 2000 frames would make sense. Otherwise, you could probably go for about 5000 in one part? I'm not sure about AAO6's limitations in terms of frame count, but if you have lots of custom graphics, I imagine a bloated framecount would lead to a slowdown.

In other news, I really need to revamp this guide, especially if it's slated to become part of the official documentation...

TommySuperNova

Post by TommySuperNova »

Alright, thanks. I'll look into frame jumping next and it's good to know what my frame limits approximately are. "All in one file" was pertaining to whether or not I could put most trials and investigations on one file, and since I'm most likely creating most of my own evidence, I will have to divide most sections up to prevent slowdown.
MZX
Spoken languages: English,Tagalog

Post by MZX »

Er..How do you add custom characters in the editor? I'm having a huge problem on that one..-_-
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

In v6?

On characters, click "Insert a profile here", then click "Use custom pictures" and put in the custom sprites you have. You'll need to upload those on to a site like photobucket, imgur, or minus. Make sure you don't hotlink from other resources like CR or AA Wiki and you host the sprites yourself. Also, remember, it's 256x192 pixels in size.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
MZX
Spoken languages: English,Tagalog

Post by MZX »

kwando1313 wrote:In v6?

On characters, click "Insert a profile here", then click "Use custom pictures" and put in the custom sprites you have. You'll need to upload those on to a site like photobucket, imgur, or minus. Make sure you don't hotlink from other resources like CR or AA Wiki and you host the sprites yourself. Also, remember, it's 256x192 pixels in size.
Thank you! I'm gonna work on my first trial(Or "Game"), Thanks!!
7H3 R34P3R

Post by 7H3 R34P3R »

I can't place character sprites, all that I get when I click the dropbox for character sprites are: None, ???, and a blank space. What should I do?
ned63

Post by ned63 »

Hi, I'm making my first trial and this guide has helped me immensely. I have one question though, and I don't think it's included in the tutorial.
How the heck do I make it so that you don't have to press the continue button to proceed frames?
For stuff like "Hold It", "Take That" and "Objection" bubbles, and the judge's gavel in the real AA games, it stays on it for a while, then it proceeds to the next frame. However, no matter what I try, I have to press the "Continue" button. So I what to know how to make it so that it automatically proceeds. I apologize if you mention it in the tutorial, I just really want to know how, as all the good trials do this, so I know it's possible, and I want my first trial to be as good as possible. ANY answers at all are appreciated! Thanks!
~Ned63

PS: Can I link to your tutorial at the end of my trial? It's been really useful to me!
Last edited by ned63 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.