Competition Rules Changes Discussion

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

clcman
Spoken languages: English

Re: Competition Rules Changes Discussion

Post by clcman »

Well, theme relevance and the need to earn the judges' favor should function as limitations to discourage people from getting too far away from the baseline.

The only thing I'd say we might need to formalize in a rule would be that, regardless of engine, all comp entries must follow the rules regarding appropriate content, plagiarism and the like. Otherwise we could probably go with an informal "If you're not sure, ask, and if we start having problems, we'll get more specific in the rules" system.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Competition Rules Changes Discussion

Post by Enthalpy »

That's much clearer, thank you.

Historically, we've allowed any entry in AAO as a competition entry, however far outside AA it was. Sami-Fire's Summon Simulacrum was a perfectly valid competition entry, and it was a fantasy combat RPG with not a lawyer or murder mystery in sight. I don't see any reason to restrict that further. So "RPG made in AAO" will remain safe, and "AA case made in PyWright and VN Maker" would be good too, under this proposal. (Assuming the competition host can play those engines without additional hassle.) "RPG made in PyWright" is trickier, but I say that works too. (Assuming the theme doesn't disallow RPGs.) "Entering a Ghost Trick fangame made in Gamemaker" is where I'm inclined to set a tentative line. It's too disconnected from AAO and the AA casemaking community, both in content and in engine, to serve our purposes.

Once a year or two, I'd be fine with a broader theme where anything "AA-esque" would be a valid entry. It could be a good way to get some innovations on the AA formula while keeping us moored to the fact that this is an AA site. However, a competition like that would need my approval, and I'd want to see just how many non-AAO entries we'd get under this proposal before saying whether or not this "broader theme" is a good idea. If we regularly see that only a third of entries are from AAO, I'm going to be stricter.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson