[E] Expression engine in screen editor

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Sheika
Spoken languages: Español / English / Peux lire français

[E] Expression engine in screen editor

Post by Sheika »

A short post here because I don't know a lot about the expression engine, but I do know I'd love the ability to show different popups or sprites depending on the outcome of a variable.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [E] Expression engine in screen editor

Post by Enthalpy »

This has been suggested before.

This would be a massive amount of work, and there are a relatively small number of use cases, so I wouldn't count on this being done anytime soon.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

A workaround is using an expression to redirect to different frames based on which sprite you want to see.
Sheika
Spoken languages: Español / English / Peux lire français

Post by Sheika »

AceAttorneyMaster111 wrote:A workaround is using an expression to redirect to different frames based on which sprite you want to see.
I know, the problem is that this is impossible in a cross-examination or investigation without replicating the whole thing except for the one sprite that you want to be different.

I'd envisioned it as something like this:

ImageImage

The Default tab says what will come out if none of the proposed conditions are met, and you add conditions for specific variable values and such.

Maybe it would be easier if the editor secretly created a different frame for each condition, although that would probably bring complications of its own.

The idea I had in mind when I asked for this is to make AA5-style graphics indicating your position in the cross-examination, which would have to change every time a new statement was added, and the only reasonable way to do it would be using variables to know exactly how many statements there are in a given moment.

Either way, thank you for listening. I hope this gets implemented someday (because I disagree that there are few applications for this).
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

The implementation you propose isn't feasible without completely changing how we "store" cases as files on the AAO server. We won't even consider that until v7, which is a very long way away.

The problem is that a single frame has a single field for characters. What you're proposing would require a different field for characters for every case, which we can't do with the current trial data model.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

Post by ThePaSch »

I, too, don't see this happening anytime soon, I'm afraid. The examples given seem like cool things to support, but as Enthalpy has already pointed out, the amount of work required to implement this in the current model is massive, and a disproportionate one compared to the benefits in my opinion.