[E][P] Possible change to text formatting?

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Pickle Moe
Spoken languages: English

[E][P] Possible change to text formatting?

Post by Pickle Moe »

One thing I've always thought was strange was how the font for AAO made it feel a lot different from the original games.

But, when I compared the AA font used in PyWright with the font used on AAO, I noticed that they were actually the exact same! The key difference is that AAO does not format the text in the same way, despite the fonts being (as far as I can tell) the exact same size.

To understand what I mean, I'll show you a screenshot from AAO, then PyWright, and finally both of them layered one on top of the other (PyWright over AAO).

AAO:
PyWright:
Layered:

I'm wondering if it's possible for this text formatting to be changed to look more like PyWright's, which closely resembles the original games?
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [E][P] Possible change to text formatting?

Post by Enthalpy »

It's not something I'm opposed to, but I'm not sure what the "text formatting" difference is. It's something I can add to my to-investigate list, but knowing exactly what the issue is would speed things along.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

It appears that there are slight differences in the color, letter-spacing, and line-height CSS properties.
ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

Post by ThePaSch »

The message box appears to be larger in PyWright than it is on AAO (AAO emulates the original more closely in this regard). Text line width - i.e. how far the line "reaches" horizontally into the text box, given equal contents - seems to be fairly equal. Subjectively, the AAO way looks more aesthetically pleasing and less visually noisy to me, because our message box is slightly more opaque than PyWright's (but also than the original games).

I must admit that I see little added value from this change. It is true that our text looks slightly different than what can be seen in the official DS games, but as far as I recall, AAO was never intended to be a 100% accurate recreation. To my knowledge, no currently available case maker is - PyWright has its own aesthetic differences, as does PWLib. I feel like this is far too minor to lose any sleep about; though I'm definitely interested in hearing more opinions.

If we do end up doing this, care should be taken to not mess up text formatting in existing cases. The changes must not be too extensive, or we risk ruining the aesthetics of potentially thousands of cases made under the old styling.
Pickle Moe

Post by Pickle Moe »

Just a quick note:
The change I'm request has nothing to do with the PyWright text box, I'm more referring to the spacing of the text in the box.
Sorry for any confusion.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

I'm gonna say this is probably more trouble than it's worth, just because different browsers and operating systems have subtle differences in how they render the text already. "Fixing" one might even make another worse.
Image Image Image
Sheika
Spoken languages: Español / English / Peux lire français

Post by Sheika »

Dunno if this is obvious enough that it doesn't need to be said, but nobody has said it so I feel I should:

The biggest issue is that the AA font (I think its name is Igiari) is a bitmap font. Bitmap fonts are meant to always be rendered at the same size: if the font is rendered in any size that isn't the original one (or the original one multiplied by a power of 2), it will anti-alias, which means that some parts will mix with the background colors to account for the difference in pixels. This creates the different "feel" that you talk about.

Pictured above: what shifting the size from 12 to 13 does for this font. I will be honest, I think it makes the AAO text look uglier, but it's not a huge deal.

So I went to the Inspect Element menu and played around with the font sizes, but even going to decimals I couldn't find a size that wouldn't anti-alias. I think this is a browser problem, so yeah, I don't think there's much anyone can do about it.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I have no intention of dealing with this.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Post by Nicky Boy »

I'll also say, there are numerous cases relying on the current size so their boxes fit neatly, unless it's made smaller (even then, centered text will also brake), so it'd also be wise not to mess with this.

That said, I've found this odd, too, but was never bothered by it.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage