[E] Custom Voice Options

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

BlueDragonCody
Spoken languages: English

[E] Custom Voice Options

Post by BlueDragonCody »

I came up with this just now, so I'm not sure it's possible.

In any case, I am suggesting to implement custom voices (What you already have is "Male," "Female," "Typewriter," and "None"). Is that possible?

~BDC
Making Ace Attorney Online Cases. Writing fan-fiction. Making gaming videos on YouTube. What more is there to know?

Oh yeah... Profile sprite belongs to Court Records Forums user mercurialSK.

If you want my other profiles, here they are:

Archive Of Our Own (AO3) profile: https://archiveofourown.org/users/BlueD ... DragonCody
Court Records Forums profile: https://forums.court-records.net/member ... le&u=62308
FanFiction profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/8150332/
Tumblr profile: https://bluedragoncody.tumblr.com/
YouTube profile: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd4nbS ... CgsmQ-GRCg
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [E] Custom Voice Options

Post by Enthalpy »

It's possible, but I couldn't tell you offhand how difficult it would be to actually implement. My first thoughts are that:
* The hard part of implementing this is going to be figuring out the editor interface. I can't think of any part of the editor where it would be natural to add an "add a voice blip" button. That needs to be figured out before there's any hope of this being added. I'm open to suggestions.
* I'm not sure how much use this feature would have. For instance, do you even have an mp3 file for another sound blip? More use means it gets higher on the developer priority list.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

I would add a new section under the Sounds tab.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I really don't like the idea of combining two different things on the same tab unless the tab is designated miscellaneous. This hypothetical "miscellaneous" tab would only have a single field, which I also don't like.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
¿Acid Rain?

Post by ¿Acid Rain? »

Enthalpy wrote:* The hard part of implementing this is going to be figuring out the editor interface. I can't think of any part of the editor where it would be natural to add an "add a voice blip" button. That needs to be figured out before there's any hope of this being added. I'm open to suggestions.
Would it be possible to add a Voice Override action in the Action Editor tab? Doing this for every frame would be undeniable tedious, but I can't see this feature getting constant use, so maybe it wouldn't be such an ordeal.

And, for the record, I'm in favour of this feature as well.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Possible, but terrible.
¿Acid Rain?

Post by ¿Acid Rain? »

The only other suggestion I've got for this is a "Use custom voice" button under the "Use custom pictures" button under the character editor tab. This overrides the selected default voice for that character, maybe? If it wasn't obvious, I know very little about programming.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

The fundamental problem is this:
Right now, every tab correlates to a specific kind of object: profiles, evidence, sounds, frames, etc. New voice blip types are a fundamentally different type of object than a sound effect because you do different things with them. So if I put them on most tabs, we're using a single tab for multiple kinds of objects. We can do this if it makes sense organizationally. For instance, cross examinations are also objects, and we put those on the same tab as frames. But frames and CEs are fundamentally parts of the same storyboard. That isn't the case for voice blips. They also seem too short to merit their own tab.

The possibility you mentioned might work, but I'm leaning more towards creating a "miscellaneous" tab for things that don't belong anywhere else, but are too short to merit their own tab. After talking with ThePasch, we may have another thing that doesn't belong anywhere that makes a miscellaneous tab more tempting...

I'll need to talk with him more before deciding, but I'm still open to alternate suggestions.