[T] A Dinky-Di Turnabout (Archived)

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

[T] A Dinky-Di Turnabout (Archived)

Post by SuperAj3 »

A Dinky-Di Turnabout
Video archive of case: Watch Here

Hi everyone, this is my unentered entry in the "No Place like AAO for the Holidays" case competition. I finally got enough energy to complete it!
It has 6 cross examinations in total, a bootleg Revisualization mechanic, and a whole lot of Australian slang!

The holiday it's set on is the AFL Grand Final day. A very Australia-specific holiday. :calisto:

The case is 100% complete, and is free to play. Any feedback and bug-catching is greatly appreciated!
Spoiler : Walkthrough (Warning, spoilers) :
Testimony 1: Press all statements
Question: select option 1
Testimony 2: Present Autopsy Report on statement 4
Testimony 3: Present Jake Betts on statement 4
Testimony 4: Press statement 3 - "Add to testimony" . Present Engagement Ring on new statement
Present: Rebecca Ryan
Revisualization:
- Question 1: Select option 2
- Question 2: Select option 3
- Question 3: Select option 1
- Question 4: Select option 1
Testimony 5: Present Steak Knife on statement 2
Answer: Gloves
Testimony 6: Present Footy recording on statement 3
Spoiler : Credits: :
Sprites:
- Custom sets by: Lind, LunchPolice, Hesseldahl, DragonTrainer, Tear and SilverGlas
- Backgrounds from official game and the AAO Locations resource packs
Special thanks to risefromtheashes for beta testing!
Last edited by SuperAj3 on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:14 am, edited 7 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
Awsome2464
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T] A Dinky-Di Turnabout ●

Post by Awsome2464 »

Pretty enjoyable case! Despite being set in Australia and using a lot of slang, it was still pretty easy to follow (though I love how there were some self-aware moments that called attention to how foreign it can sound to outsiders). Plus, picturing the Judge with an Aussie accent was pretty enjoyable.

There were a few minor bugs I noticed, such as Jessica's mouth occasionally moving when she's giving inner thoughts, having the testimony/cross-examination start automatically some times while other times you had to click to progress, and one moment right at the end of the trial where the Judge's bench goes from the AJ theme to the PW one. Nothing game-breaking, jus minor things that were definitely noticeable.

Overall, fun case, enjoyable characters, and honestly a great idea for the theme of the contest this was envisioned for. Nice job!
Image Image
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Awsome2464 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:05 pm Pretty enjoyable case! Despite being set in Australia and using a lot of slang, it was still pretty easy to follow (though I love how there were some self-aware moments that called attention to how foreign it can sound to outsiders). Plus, picturing the Judge with an Aussie accent was pretty enjoyable.

There were a few minor bugs I noticed, such as Jessica's mouth occasionally moving when she's giving inner thoughts, having the testimony/cross-examination start automatically some times while other times you had to click to progress, and one moment right at the end of the trial where the Judge's bench goes from the AJ theme to the PW one. Nothing game-breaking, jus minor things that were definitely noticeable.

Overall, fun case, enjoyable characters, and honestly a great idea for the theme of the contest this was envisioned for. Nice job!
Hi! Thanks for trying it and glad you enjoyed it! :pearlhappy:
I'll get to fixing those mistakes asap! CE timing and the wrong judge's bench should be fixed, I just need to sift through all the blue text to double-check timing.
ImageImageImageImage
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Well bloody hell, you cobber! I decided to pop open a cold one (not really) and play this case, mate. I can't say I'm a huge fan of footy but it's still a fun sport to watch. Nice that you decided to go the extra meter-er, metre and release this case even after my comp ended. You could've just thrown this in the bin but you went ahead and finished it! As for the case itself, very interesting. The blokes and lasses were quite a blast to observe! And at no point did they make me feel groggy inside. So you bet your bottom dollar I enjoyed this case!
Okay, enough of me failing to understand Australian lingo. Seriously, solid case and I look forward to more coming from you.
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

DJJ6800 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:02 am Well bloody hell, you cobber! I decided to pop open a cold one (not really) and play this case, mate. I can't say I'm a huge fan of footy but it's still a fun sport to watch. Nice that you decided to go the extra meter-er, metre and release this case even after my comp ended. You could've just thrown this in the bin but you went ahead and finished it! As for the case itself, very interesting. The blokes and lasses were quite a blast to observe! And at no point did they make me feel groggy inside. So you bet your bottom dollar I enjoyed this case!
Okay, enough of me failing to understand Australian lingo. Seriously, solid case and I look forward to more coming from you.
:calisto: :calisto: :calisto:
Truth is, I don't care about footy, either LMAO
Thanks for playing and glad you enjoyed it!
ImageImageImageImage
Diyarhan
Spoken languages: Turkish, English

Post by Diyarhan »

Here is my review.
Spoiler : :
It was a good case. I should say that i really enjoyed while i was playing.
Positive Things: The storyline was good. Characters were enjoyable. It was funny sometimes. I really laughed. It was the exact definition of short and sweet.
Negative Things: I have 2 negative things to say. First, difficulty was so easy. Especially Cross Examinations. Second, i found the killer in the start of case. So i didn't asked to myself''Who can be killer?''. That's it for negative things. I really want to see Jessica Ryan: Ace Attorney. This can be series, you know? Thanks for your case. I am waiting for your other cases!
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Diyarhan wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:19 pm Here is my review.
It was a good case. I should say that i really enjoyed while i was playing.
Positive Things: The storyline was good. Characters were enjoyable. It was funny sometimes. I really laughed. It was the exact definition of short and sweet.
Negative Things: I have 2 negative things to say. First, difficulty was so easy. Especially Cross Examinations. Second, i found the killer in the start of case. So i didn't asked to myself''Who can be killer?''. That's it for negative things. I really want to see Jessica Ryan: Ace Attorney. This can be series, you know? Thanks for your case. I am waiting for your other cases!
Thanks for your feedback! I admit, I hand-held a little with this, but I'll keep difficulty in mind for future cases!
ImageImageImageImage
ned63

Post by ned63 »

I enjoyed playing this a lot!
Spoiler : A few random thoughts, spoilers for the whole case :
I liked the theming of the case a lot, it felt pretty authentic.
Though having translations after some of the slang sort of detracted from the immersion slightly, as did having sprite credits in the details for profiles.
I think having credits before and/or after the case is fine enough.

I think overall the flow of the case was pretty decent. Some parts felt a bit awkward, though- I don't think it's explicitly mentioned that the murder occurs in the spare bedroom until pretty late in, and the way the second testimony ends felt a bit awkward, too. I get that the general point was that the police rushed the case (mostly due to the prosecutor) but it wasn't as clean as how the first testimony segued into the second, for example. My memory's a bit fuzzy already so I can't elaborate too much on this frustratingly but maybe reread how the first and second testimonies end and go into the next part of the trial and hopefully you'll see what I mean?

The characters were pretty enjoyable to see interact- though I think maybe a bit more time should have been spent on Rebecca and her motive. Having a wedding to pay for soon seems a little weak. What was her plan for explaining where the money came from to Frank? Her breakdown was pretty quick and abrupt too, in my opinion. A bit more time for the prosecutor probably wouldn't be bad either- she really could've screwed over Jessica's entire life because she didn't want to risk hurting her career. Maybe having her realise the flaws in Khurain's anti-defendant system as a result could've been interesting?

Overall, I think you did a really good job! I liked the majority of the writing (maybe a few parts like the dialogue between the victim/killer at the beginning, and Rebecca's breakdown could use a touchup?) and thought the way you handled the holiday theme was very creative!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I've started playing this case, but am stuck on
the first CE with Frank.

It sounds like we're not looking for a contradiction here, but just something that looks good for the defense. I can think of a couple:
* If it was a close game, then the only way for the motive to work is if the murder occurred towards the end of the game. But that is when Frank can give Jessica an alibi.
* If Rebecca was the kitchen cleaning, why wasn't Jessica's knife cleaned? If anything, this puts suspicion on Rebecca... who also doesn't have an alibi.
* Frank says he was talking to Vince's son and other relatives, but in the next statement, Jake is out of the room. That's a huge gap in the testimony.

Any advice on which of these to pursue? I can't find a way to present any of these, and I'm not sure if I'm on the right track.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Enthalpy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:25 am I've started playing this case, but am stuck on
the first CE with Frank.

It sounds like we're not looking for a contradiction here, but just something that looks good for the defense. I can think of a couple:
* If it was a close game, then the only way for the motive to work is if the murder occurred towards the end of the game. But that is when Frank can give Jessica an alibi.
* If Rebecca was the kitchen cleaning, why wasn't Jessica's knife cleaned? If anything, this puts suspicion on Rebecca... who also doesn't have an alibi.
* Frank says he was talking to Vince's son and other relatives, but in the next statement, Jake is out of the room. That's a huge gap in the testimony.

Any advice on which of these to pursue? I can't find a way to present any of these, and I'm not sure if I'm on the right track.
Hi Enth, if my walkthrough in the OP isn't helpful I might have to redo it.
To progress:
Spoiler : on Points 1 and 3 :
To progress: Present Jake Betts at statement 4, starting with "Between usin' the dunny..." Or alternatively, if you translated, it's the statement starting with "(Between using the bathroom..."
Jess is trying to prove she was present in the living room the whole duration of the football match as Jake was with her and can vouch for her alibi.

Point 1 = That's correct. At that time Frank says he's visited the toilet so he's not present near the end of the match.
Point 3 = Frank spoke to Jake but then, if you recall from the prologue, Jake runs to tell his dad the results of the game after it's over. Which explains why he left the room.

To plot the events out:

- Jess arrives
- Vince begins to cook
- Frank, Jess, Rebecca, Jake all begin to watch the football
- Rebecca offers to wash up plates and is in the kitchen for the remainder of the football game
- Vince leaves part-way through to grab beers from the spare room
- Frank leaves close to the end of the match to go to the bathroom
- at the point of the winning goal, you see in the prologue Vince's murder. The murder happens just before/while the match ends
- When the match ends, Jake excitedly goes to find his father to find him dead in the spare room.
Spoiler : On Point 2 :
It's good you're raising questions. I initially spoiled something but I've redacted it. Just wait to the end to see if that answers your question.
ImageImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

The walkthrough would have been helpful, but I was aiming for a hint rather than the answer.

I'll keep going through this after work.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Finished the case!

This was pretty simple, but fun. The Australia gimmick was fun, and the pacing never dragged for the kind of game this was. The graphics in general are polished. The custom sprites definitely help, and the revisualization mechanic came out very nice! If you're looking for a light game and are willing to overlook some darker implications, this is a fun hour to hour and a half.
Coincidentally, I also have a case in mind with this specific set of defense and prosecutor sprites and where family dynamics are central. I was able to see the darker parts of the case (ruined engagement, 14-year-old loses a father), but was also able to tune them out when it was clear the case wasn't headed that direction.

I liked the attempt at a more serious story with Puhro'se, but I'm still confused as to why Puhro'se felt the need to rush this case to trial.

And since you were looking for points of feedback:

Technical Issues:
  • there's a cross-examination towards the end where presenting wrong evidence doesn't have a timer on the feedback frame
  • Slide 831: There's only one c in recommendation.
Fairness Issues:
  • The third cross-examination is about putting out something convenient for the defense case rather than a cross-examination. Such CEs are always tricky to make fair, and this one has some execution issues:
    • It was never mentioned that Jessica was watching the game the entire time.
    • It was never mentioned that Jake was watching the game the entire time.
    • The co-counsel hint is vague and could apply to any of the three things I listed last time.
    I recommend a combination of a clearer co-counsel hint, being more explicit about who was where when, and also clarifying points 1 and 3 in the testimony.
  • I recommend that you accept the Steak Knife as evidence that contradicts "So, you know sis. I had nothing to do with it at all." during the second-to-last cross-examination.
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

Thanks for playing Enth!
I appreciate the feedback. I'll give my game a proper look through in the editor with your points in mind.

The only one I think might've been missed on your end is:
"It was never mentioned that Jessica was watching the game the entire time.

It was never mentioned that Jake was watching the game the entire time."
While no textbox says this, you see this happen in the prologue. The prologue is from Jessica's perspective. There isn't gimmick here where the protagonist is lying to you. So, long story short, I'm not sure how to make this clearer than it already is without them outright stating it. Any suggestions?
ImageImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I'm not claiming unreliable narrator but incomplete narrator. We never see Frank walk out either. That just means he walked out in the middle of the jumpcut between the game start and when Jonesy kicked it in. My concern is, what if Jessica left at some point during the footy game? Maybe she had to relieve herself, maybe she went to get more chops, maybe she had to take a phone call, etc. Because the time of death is so vague, as long as she left at any one point, the prosecution can say that was her opportunity.

My recommendation is to first narrow down the time of death window. It's an important plot point to catch Rebecca that the murder happened at the end of the game, it's what makes the most sense given the lottery ticket motive, the body should still have been warm when it was found, and the family would know the last time Vincent was seen alive. Once the time of death window is in that range, then I no longer have to worry about what may or may not have happened during the jump cut.

Once you have the time of death window down, it becomes clear that Jessica can't have left in that time. To hint that there's a witness to this, I would have Jessica be more frustrated during her conversation with Frank, about his memory, because she knows she never left at the time. I think that makes sense in-character (though you have the final say), and it gets the player's mind going about who might remember that window.
SuperAj3

Post by SuperAj3 »

I think I can manage that. Thanks for the tip!
ImageImageImageImage