Feedback Wanted! CSS Effects

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Feedback Wanted! CSS Effects

Post by Enthalpy »

The time is finally coming for me to add a feature to AAO that I've wanted for quite some time, greyscale mode. If I want everything but the text box to go grey, no longer will I need to create and upload a separate greyscale background and greyscale sprites. I can just click some buttons, and AAO will do it for me.

However, this feature has other possibilities, and I'd like some community feedback on how you'd use it. You can see examples of what I'll be adding here. This update will bring greyscale, sepia, changing blur/brightness/contrast/saturation/transparency, and the ability to rotate and invert colors. Possibly the drop-shadow ability, but I'm not sure about that one.

When I add these in, what uses do you all have for these features? I need to decide how I'm going to let users specify what these features apply to, and knowing how you'll use them will help me do that.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

Re: Feedback Wanted! CSS Effects

Post by ThePaSch »

Personally, the ability to transition from one picture state to another would be a must-have feature. Even if it's just transitioning one CSS property at a time; going from a slightly blurry sepia or greyscale picture to a clear colored one in a variable amount of time is something I've been wishing for, and I'd even have a specific use-case for it in mind.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Oh, I hadn't thought about transitions sprites. So, you're envisioning whole screen transitions. That's the easiest one to do.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

I'm commenting mostly to show that these changes are welcome. That said, I can't quite envision use cases for most of these (outside of the obvious and VERY welcome greyscale). They are the sort of screen effects I'd only think about when I get to write a scene and feel "He was just hit on the head, blurring the scene would be great." or "The character is using some sort of magic, let's mess with the colours.". The specifics are, no pun intended, blurry.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Thanks, and the pun is fine by me.
TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

Post by TheDoctor »

If we can apply them to the characters only, I think the brightness effect could be good for if it's a particularly bright day outside, or if it's a nighttime scene.
Image Image Image
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Yeah, I have a use case in mind for characters only, so I was curious if anybody else did too.
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Post by Nicky Boy »

Right of the bat, I can think of screen-wide greyscale and sepia, background + object invert, background darken and object transparency. Especially if you can transition from each state to the other without reverting to the original one (like fades do in the test case, when they are the same type (in/out)). I may have a use of the color rotate feature depending on how I plan my case out.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Yeah, I'm hoping transitions will be possible.

What is going to be tricky is figuring out what objects you can manipulate. There's the whole screen (minus text box) we obviously want, and both TheDoctor and I want to see them applied to characters only. Background-and-objects only should also be doable, but I'll need to think about how this should look in-editor.
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

Well, this update sounds really awesome, and it will absolutely be very helpful and make things way simpler and smoother, I can't wait for it.
¿Acid Rain?

Post by ¿Acid Rain? »

I've fooled around with stuff like this in a manual, Photoshop sort of way. Adding overlays to make sprites darker without needing to make whole new sets, fiddling with transparency to have a .gif and .png background at the same time, and manually making scene transitions. I don't actually know what CSS entails, but, at the very least, the tools exist in AAO's current state with some industriousness.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

The tools exist to do what? I'm afraid you've lost me completely.
¿Acid Rain?

Post by ¿Acid Rain? »

Er, sorry. What I mean is that from my experience, there are ways to accomplish at least some of these things without CSS in AAO, if I'm interpreting the functions of CSS correctly. Mostly, I've done these things via Object settings in AAO, some online .gif editors, and lots of custom graphics. I guess what I'm getting at is that I have found uses for screen transitions, hue and brightness changes, and transparencies. Most of my uses for these things are probably fringe at best, but I have used them.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Oh, sure.

All of this can be done without the update, just not very efficiently! It takes a lot of time to make a sprite greyscale.
Mosy

Post by Mosy »

Enthalpy wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:03 am The time is finally coming for me to add a feature to AAO that I've wanted for quite some time, greyscale mode. If I want everything but the text box to go grey, no longer will I need to create and upload a separate greyscale background and greyscale sprites. I can just click some buttons, and AAO will do it for me.

However, this feature has other possibilities, and I'd like some community feedback on how you'd use it. You can see examples of what I'll be adding here. This update will bring greyscale, sepia, changing blur/brightness/contrast/saturation/transparency, and the ability to rotate and invert colors. Possibly the drop-shadow ability, but I'm not sure about that one.

When I add these in, what uses do you all have for these features? I need to decide how I'm going to let users specify what these features apply to, and knowing how you'll use them will help me do that.
LOVE IT!!!
I always love new features to this awesome site <3.
a feature I always wanted was custom screen size, other than the 256-192 resolution. Maybe some day it'll happen, a boy can wish :P. :portsman:
Live life as you enjoy it, pal!- :objection:
I guess not...