[T][CE] The Dividing Line ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Gizmological
Spoken languages: English

[T][CE] The Dividing Line ●

Post by Gizmological »

Intro

A short game set outside Ace Attorney canon. This was an entry for the 'Broken Commandments' competition hosted by Awsome2464 and TimeAxis. This game has multiple endings with branching paths. It is recommended that you save often. I also suggest initially playing without a walkthrough, as even 'incorrect' choices can lead to something new.

Links
Walkthrough
Spoiler : Walkthrough :
Walkthrough:

True ending:

Part 1:
Choose to investigate when prompted (Optional: Refusing to participate will loop you back and prompt you to choose again.)
The scene is split into the north and south sides of the room, accessible via 'Move'
North: Examine the body, shelf, door and panel (left side)
South: Examine the desk and tool rack (requires you to present the knife when prompted. Knife is obtained by examining the body.)

Part 2:

Argument 1: Present victim's body on 2nd statement
Present cleaning chemical
'Hide the location of death'

Argument 2: Present barrier on 4th statement

Theorycraft 1:
Question 1: Tool rack
Question 2: North to south
Question 3: Moved by gravity

Rotate by 90 degrees

Argument 3: Press statement 2, choose to present evidence, present Deadly Chemical

Theorycraft 2:
Question 1: Injected
Question 2: Bottle's label
Question 3: Swapped

Present knife

Press button when prompted (Optional: Reaching out to Irene will loop you back and prompt you to choose again)
Don't shoot

Reboot sequence: (Typing 'help' will give a list of commands, typing 'programList' will also give a list of programs to be used with the 'run' command.
To pass this sequence, you must successfully exit the program. You should be able to work out how to do this by exploring
the various commands and programs. The exact solution is given below. IMPORTANT: commands are case sensitive)

type "run mendaxGame"
Select "Upload data"
type "ISdata"
type "EBdata"
type "run mendaxExit"

Alternate endings: (Each of these will lead to a unique game over.)
1. Select "Press button" when prompted in part 1
2. Lose all of your health by giving wrong answers in part 2 (note: you will stop losing health after the start of Argument 3.) At this point, you will have access to two different endings.
2a. Select "Can I ask you something" and then select "What is my name" OR select "Can I show you something" and then present the ID badge. Select "Shoot Irene" when prompted. This ending can also be accessed by choosing to shoot Irene at the end of the true ending path.
2b. Any sequence of choices not given in '2a' will give a different ending, with minor dialogue differences depending on the options chosen.
3.In argument 3, present the ID badge on Irene's last statement.
Credits
Spoiler : Credits :
Ethan Briar sprites - gotMLK7
Irene Saige & Mabel Hart sprites - Dragontrainer
Music - The Nonary Games / Zero Time Dilemma
Last edited by Gizmological on Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimeAxis

Re: [T][CE] The Dividing Line ●

Post by TimeAxis »

I highly recommend this case. It’s very unique and was one of my favs in the contest.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Dylan Dog
Spoken languages: English, Italian, Spanish, a little German.

Post by Dylan Dog »

Oh lord, this is going to be great.
XavierWright

Post by XavierWright »

I enjoyed the case immensely. A beautiful piece of art.
Spoiler : :
What I liked the most was that the idea that someone can be someone completely different with amnesia. The way you presented the difference between amnesiac Ethan and Reality Ethan was really well done in my opinion.
Good job as always!
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise »

Oh wow. This is great. I'm always a sucker for games with multiple endings, and this case certainly delivers on that front.
I wonder how the three real people would react to a potential murder in Mendax? Certainly would make things far more awkward than it already is in that lab...
ikuzonos
Spoken languages: English, limited French

Post by ikuzonos »

Wow. I'm a fan of your other cases, so I was very excited to play this one, and it did not disappoint at all. My heart's actually still pounding a bit from the whole experience!
I'm a big ZE nerd, so hearing the tracks immediately had me in the moment, and it set the perfect tone for the scenario. I tried all the other alternative endings because I was curious, and I found them excellent, though obviously the true ending is the most satisfying. I figured it had to be some kind of simulation early on, because of the Barrier, but that didn't at all detract from the story! Ethan and Irene were both excellently written, and while Mabel didn't get a lot of time in the spotlight, she was lovely as well. Excellent work! I adore that the right answer is not to figure out the culprit, but to break the game.
Bannedfrom7

Post by Bannedfrom7 »

Wow! What a story! The whole premise of the mystery, the false solution, and the overall idea of the resolution was incredible! I love how there was still payoff with the change of character despite everything being part of a simulation. One thing I will say is that I felt that you could've presented the knife as a false solution to the lack of blood while noting that it wouldn't help our position due to it pointing towards us, but still be solution. Through it's just extremely minor and may be something I'm just overthinking about. Overall, I loved it! I'm glad I got to experience one of your works again!
I am Banned
eerew

Post by eerew »

Gizmological wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:50 pm the dividing line :)
hi this case was cool me and ChingKittyCat played it

the new minigame was really neat though the images didn't show up for us for the first one, if there are any.

the characters were really neat!!!!! i liked the protag the most, but i'll keep my reasons a secret ;)

the backgrounds were pretty too :) and the logic worked out as well except maybe for a possibility i wanted to present:
On the last statement of argument 2, we tried presenting the tool rack because of the possibility that Irene could've used an object to push the tool rack, like her balled up vest or something, causing it to swing back like a pendulum so they could grab the knife when it swung back. Is there a reason this argument couldn't work?
um i liked the true ending even though the simulation thing is usually kinda a cop out but in this case's it felt justified (i called out the twist of soma then someone told me i had the twist right so i never finished soma i hate soma sorry for going off topic)
anyways play this case it's like an hour tops no reason not to
ImageImage
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Legacy K.O.B since 2023

Proud friend of TWO ONE he/theys
Igniam

Post by Igniam »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IveHl3U6IFk

recorded
yeah I thought of the rotating tool rack, but before it came up, so I was frustrated about that
also why are 2 of the left side screws just missing, also how is it loose but still seemingly fitting into that slot. If it was loose enough to swing to the other side, the rack should be resting diagonally, with only one screw being its center of rotation. And the culprit could not easily rotate it and fit it over because that screw is on the other side of the barrier. This is why I thought the screws would be accessible from the other side of the barrier by the way. (or you can finagle the logic so that "it never rotated" and the ingame logic is faulty)

During this I was kinda imagining some high sophistication solution involving ways to grab and maneuver items off the other side from a far range (tying clothing together and using it as a long stick). This probably would not work well for precise or forceful movements though so I should have discounted it earlier probably. However the range I think would be sufficient that you could find SOME inanimate object to use to 'bypass' the barrier, like taking off shoes and pushing the knife into the shoehole.

The mechanics of the barrier are mildly unclear to me in that you don't know what happens if the barrier activates while someone is in the middle. Thought that would come into play, didn't.

It is revealed at the end the frame is a lie (there is no real murder), but within that universe, what exactly did the culprit know? would that culprit really, *really* want to participate in the kind of game where someone else was unconscious and they would have to frame the other to obscure who did it? leaving the bloody ID card seems like a really stupid move if it was actually Ethan who had time to mess with and move the body, just leave it on yourself or drop it down the sink or behind something.

also the "grabbing the screwdriver to unscrew" logic is a bit more of a leap than it has to be, if you just unscrewed it it would rotate out and you couldn't put the screwdriver back. But you can hold it in place, unscrew, put it back and then let it rotate.

why no try to scrub ID with the sink under guise of washing hands to see what the name was

why no ability to present id badge earlier

irene's logic about "why did you have to willingly present the badge" doesn't quite make sense in terms of doing it immediately to me. ethan gave that willingly, not accidentally, so irene should still be willing to answer to some level of cooperation with the new information before hitting the button. yes I know this does happen AFTER the pistol is dropped, but imagine that wasn't there and ethan got to ask/learn nothing even after showing that info? although Ethan could propose asking before showing I guess

i did not immediately get the logic of "swapped bottles", I thought again that a bottle would be hidden or destroyed. i thought "a small amount inhaled could be lethal" would strongly prevent opening a deadly bottle, so any use of it, would have to be small and very little of the bottle would be used, but the 'deadly' bottle is completely emptied in the game. do all the contents go in the sink too? (possible I misread 'inhale' related parts)

did predict simulation, did not predict it wasn't real (I thought the administrator did not know the real killer). i think the help menu should stay up during that scene. also how much do they remember? irene seemed to remember 'how ethan behaved'. do both of them remember their amnesia-like personalities?

anyway that was a cool premise and nice 'broken commandments' name relation, although as my vid shows I feel like I was thinking more ahead and game did not recognize. didn't feel particularly smooth there, but I didn't use a walkthrough until looking for endings. also expected more different kinds of endings but whatever
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

My overall thoughts on this case were given in the review in the case comp thread, but if Gizmological’s okay with it, I can share my recorded playthrough of it. (I don’t know if there have been any significant changes to the case since then)

Also, if anyone's curious on what parts of this earned it the awards it won:
- Watson Award was given due to Irene being best girl and also having a cool frenemy dynamic.
- Best Clue was for the swiveling tool rack, which I thought was a really clever set piece
- Best Scientific Application was for the ending twist
Other awards should be pretty self explanatory.
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
AquaAce72

Post by AquaAce72 »

Very neat game with a satisfying conclusion! Really, great work!
I had a few issues with the false solution, though the fact that it's false makes those complaints ultimately irrelevant. My main issue was with the physics of the falling rack, which totally would not have put the rack into such a perfect position lol
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Just played this and had a good time.
As a zero escape nerd, can't help but feel like this case was made for me.

Agree with the aforementioned criticism of the argument 2 contradiction in regards to the swivel toolbox. It's a really cool trick but I pegged that pretty early on and expected to be able to solve it immediately.

Simulation felt pretty obvious, but that's not a gripe, and the payoff for it at the end was worth it. Command prompt game play made me so happy. I love meta stuff like that and it was actually fun to piece together.

As for the multiple endings, of course I enjoyed getting them. A few minor gripes/suggestions. One, I don't really understand the press the button ending. I'm assuming from context that while you were dazed she pressed the button and got the gun to shoot you, but it came across a bit weirdly to me. Maybe I just misread something, but I think mentioning something about the announcer speaking would round it out a bit and make it clearer after the fact.

Also while I did like the ending, I felt like the epilogue dragged on a bit and the character moments didn't feel entirely earned. Since it was mentioned that the psychological stress caused memories of strong emotion to resurface, perhaps each of the endings could reveal different hazy memories from Ethan's life. Maybe different sorts of arguments, memories from school with Mabel since it is implied by Irene they might have a thing for each other, or any other moments to hint towards the character dynamics.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the experience and am impressed what you were able to pull of with such minimal assets. The Dividing Line is definitely worth recommending to anyone into this genre.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Igniam

Post by Igniam »

Trybien wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:31 am Just played this and had a good time.
As a zero escape nerd, can't help but feel like this case was made for me.

Agree with the aforementioned criticism of the argument 2 contradiction in regards to the swivel toolbox. It's a really cool trick but I pegged that pretty early on and expected to be able to solve it immediately.

Simulation felt pretty obvious, but that's not a gripe, and the payoff for it at the end was worth it. Command prompt game play made me so happy. I love meta stuff like that and it was actually fun to piece together.

As for the multiple endings, of course I enjoyed getting them. A few minor gripes/suggestions. One, I don't really understand the press the button ending. I'm assuming from context that while you were dazed she pressed the button and got the gun to shoot you, but it came across a bit weirdly to me. Maybe I just misread something, but I think mentioning something about the announcer speaking would round it out a bit and make it clearer after the fact.

Also while I did like the ending, I felt like the epilogue dragged on a bit and the character moments didn't feel entirely earned. Since it was mentioned that the psychological stress caused memories of strong emotion to resurface, perhaps each of the endings could reveal different hazy memories from Ethan's life. Maybe different sorts of arguments, memories from school with Mabel since it is implied by Irene they might have a thing for each other, or any other moments to hint towards the character dynamics.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the experience and am impressed what you were able to pull of with such minimal assets. The Dividing Line is definitely worth recommending to anyone into this genre.
I think the "gun appearing" is supposed to stoke mystery about Irene 'revealing' they were carrying a gun out of nowhere, and have the player think about that for a while
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

Apologies for my lack of activity here. Life is... life. I will make more direct responses soon, but I appreciate the interest so far.

TimeAxis, feel free to share your recording.
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other