I've just started and I already feel like giving up

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Legion-Games
Spoken languages: English

I've just started and I already feel like giving up

Post by Legion-Games »

A writer and artist I may be, but a game developer I am not.

Using this case maker feels outright impossible because of how complicated it is. I can't even get any of the custom sprites that I try to upload to show when I try playtesting. They upload just fine, but when I try to make a "scene" they're nowhere to be found. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I think this is meant to be my curse, to have a ton of good ideas but to never put them in a game. This case maker was my last hope because I heard that it doesn't require any programming knowledge, but unless someone can get me started in the right direction I feel like I have no choice but to give up on my dream.
XavierWright

Re: I've just started and I already feel like giving up

Post by XavierWright »

Well, first things first, don't give up just yet. Learning something like this does take time and patience. I felt the same way initially, but I kept trying, reading various tutorials and such, until I finally got how to do it.

Secondly, the problem you are having here. How exactly trying to upload these custom sprites? For AAO, you have to upload the images to a separate Web hosting site, such as imgur. Secondly, custom sprites require a idle sprite and a talking Sprite. If you're confused, I'll demonstrate it to you.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Unfortunately, life just throws hard things at you sometimes. I suspect you'll feel a lot better once we've gotten over this particular hurdle.

I'll add that I can take a look at whatever trial is giving you problems if I know which it is. I checked, but I can't find any trials that you're on.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Legion-Games

Post by Legion-Games »

XavierWright wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:44 pm Well, first things first, don't give up just yet. Learning something like this does take time and patience. I felt the same way initially, but I kept trying, reading various tutorials and such, until I finally got how to do it.

Secondly, the problem you are having here. How exactly trying to upload these custom sprites? For AAO, you have to upload the images to a separate Web hosting site, such as imgur. Secondly, custom sprites require a idle sprite and a talking Sprite. If you're confused, I'll demonstrate it to you.
Thank you, that makes me feel a bit better. Are there any video tutorials out there? I couldn't find any.

I've uploaded them on Imgur and then copied the URL. It's just that they don't show up in the actual area. Are there specific dimensions that I need to meet? Does it need to be pixelated? Does it need to be certain format? A demonstration would be greatly appreciated.

Let's say I want to insert this guy, for example. How would I go about doing it?
Spoiler : Large Image :
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

For your stuff to show up, it needs to be 256x192 image. PNG, GIF, WEBP... Whatever sort of image file that shows up (and preferably keeps transparency) is good to use.
ImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

applekitty wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:00 am For your stuff to show up, it needs to be 256x192 image.
256x192 is recommended, but it is not required, and the difference explains what you're seeing. The left-most 256x192 will appear on the screen. Due to the image you're sharing, that left-most 256x192 looks blank.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson