[S/E] Slice of life changes.

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

killer muffin
Spoken languages: English

[S/E] Slice of life changes.

Post by killer muffin »

A couple of mostly simple changes that would massively help with user convenience.

[S] A case-making tutorial case?: As the name suggests a simple case-making tutorial to guide complete noobs around AO's mechanics and give them tips to avoid common bugs.

[E] Assets: We should have the tech to rip those sprites so hopefully they're added to the base characters so people won't have to dig around the internet to find them. Same thing for various unused backgrounds from every game.

[E] Variables: If we were able to add +1 to variables or add anything to them that would make making press testimonies so much easier.

[E] Seemless Music Loop: Some kind of option where by default music tracks loop, in the same way, they loop in official games aside from opening songs which simply wouldn't have this option.

[E] Background sprites: This would arguably be the most useful addition if added. What I mean by background sprites I mean things like evidence, body outlines, and finally characters various court bg sprites.
applekitty

Re: [S/E] Slice of life changes.

Post by applekitty »

In regards to assets, most of the ones needed are already up for use on a thread on this site (if we're just talking canon characters), so all ya need to do is snatch them off the linked Imgur. Ripping is a specialized skill with a multitude of tools that has different requirements between the systems AA has been released on, and requires a ROM of the game to do.

Music that's already inside of the editor used to be seamless. Will be fixed in the future so stay tuned.

I agree that a beginner case tutorial would be very helpful. I feel like someone could make a YouTube video about it to teach newcomers how to use the site.
ImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

killer muffin wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:10 am A couple of mostly simple changes that would massively help with user convenience.

[S] A case-making tutorial case?: As the name suggests a simple case-making tutorial to guide complete noobs around AO's mechanics and give them tips to avoid common bugs.
This isn't simple. If somebody wants to do it, they can go right ahead.
killer muffin wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:10 am [E] Assets: We should have the tech to rip those sprites so hopefully they're added to the base characters so people won't have to dig around the internet to find them. Same thing for various unused backgrounds from every game.
What are "those sprites"? 3DS era has models, not sprites.

killer muffin wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:10 am [E] Variables: If we were able to add +1 to variables or add anything to them that would make making press testimonies so much easier.
We already can? Define your variable as variable + 1.
killer muffin wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:10 am [E] Seemless Music Loop: Some kind of option where by default music tracks loop, in the same way, they loop in official games aside from opening songs which simply wouldn't have this option.
much easier.
We have this for DD, still to be added for other tracks. I want to work on this once I get through my backlog of other AAO issues. I've been out of commission for a while but should be back in development after this Monday.
killer muffin wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:10 am [E] Background sprites: This would arguably be the most useful addition if added. What I mean by background sprites I mean things like evidence, body outlines, and finally characters various court bg sprites.
I would need a specific example of body outlines.

Evidence should absolutely be possible, but I can't do that and music looping at the same time. As for the "court bg sprites," I'm open to the idea, but I'm not sure where to put them, and they'd need to be repositioned depending on the courtroom. The coordinates aren't the same for PW and AJ.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
killer muffin

Post by killer muffin »

Enthalpy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:06 am
This isn't simple. If somebody wants to do it, they can go right ahead.
I'm assuming you're saying future updates would make this nearly impossible since you would have to update it often. But the way to fix this is to make different numbered categories (showing the ideal way to play them. Because currently, the only way to learn how this site works is through the tutorial forum, and right now is the tutorial forum. It should be kept I mean it could be better for some people but for others, a more traditional tutorial would be better. I could do it I guess (most of the writing has been done already) just for some I would need a "gameplay" section and for that, I would need this site's case-making code.
What are "those sprites"? 3DS era has models, not sprites.
This isn't a 3DS-era game. I apologize I must have forgotten to type which game was my mistake I'm very scatterbrained. AiME 1's portrait sprites, not the sequel since that would be arguably much harder. Now I get the 500 background sprites here because....god no since nobody would use them currently. However people on here already commonly use those portrait sprites and adding them would just be just hard as the already added sprites. (it would still be difficult don't get me wrong)
We already can? Define your variable as variable + 1.
Not l mean just the power to add + 1 (or any number but that shouldn't apply to this website same with doubles). I mean right now we can only play with boolean statements (which can do anything, yeah I mean they're the backbone of coding) however everything would be oh so much more efficient if we could add to integer values.
We have this for DD, still to be added for other tracks. I want to work on this once I get through my backlog of other AAO issues. I've been out of commission for a while but should be back in development after this Monday.
Oh good thank you for looking forward to DD music being added and I am thankful and 100 percent looking forward to all the old music looping nicely.
I would need a specific example of body outlines.

Evidence should absolutely be possible, but I can't do that and music looping at the same time. As for the "court bg sprites," I'm open to the idea, but I'm not sure where to put them, and they'd need to be repositioned depending on the courtroom. The coordinates aren't the same for PW and AJ.
...ok fair enough body outlines are usually merged with bgs (I just thought of them since it would be nice to have a body outline). Yeah ripping sprites like that would be quite hard now that now that I
think about it. Well for court bgs all you would need to do is add the full courtroom bgs to the default for place editing. Then make a similar template (the one used for characters/bgs) but for bg objects and have the character-tied ones be in default. For coordinates users would probably have to do this by hand but, if you give bg objects their own subfolder, then you could allow users to add custom bg objects with pre-set coordinates potentially.