[T][CE] Phantasmagoria of Betrayal ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Ferdielance
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T][CE] Phantasmagoria of Betrayal ●

Post by Ferdielance »

TAR, cesar:

I was wondering when someone would bring that up! Have you reread the dialogue in those scenes carefully? Because there was a little foreshadowing...
Spoiler : Explanation :
You can tell it's probably Phoenix and not Tigre in the funeral, Lithuania, and return-to-the-office scenes because Phoenix explicitly mentions sending books on law to Viola. So Viola and Tigre are still prepping! There's a particularly telling quote when he looks at the books:
(For some reason, Viola's
started taking an interest
in how the law works...)

(She called me in Lithuania and
said that she and "an
acquaintance" wanted to learn.)

(So I'm packing up my best
law books and lending them to
her and this mysterious friend.)

(Apparently she wanted books
on etiquette and acting, too,
but I don't have any of those.)
Is this cheating? We made it clear that Tigre himself lies in his inner monologue, but Phoenix is in the dark about his scheme for now. If Phoenix ever said "Maya is really dead," we'd have contradicted ourselves! But... is that what he said?

At the funeral:
(My emotions are stuck,
like wheels spinning in a ditch,
at how impossible it all is.)

(Maya... isn't dead.
Maya just isn't dead!)

(So this is all going to go
away like a nightmare.)

(Maya will be standing there...
and it'll all be the way it
was before...)
And you thought that was denial, not Nick being all wound up over the emotional stress of trying to fake Maya's funeral... but he said it, didn't he? "Maya isn't dead."

Later, when prepping for the trip to Lithuania:
(I just can't stay at that
office anymore...
I need to get away.)
He never said who or what he was getting away from. And when explaining to Shannon why he doesn't want to solve a mystery, he says:
...without my partner, I just...
don't feel up to it today.
Maybe some other time.
(It's just not the same
without Maya.)
Note that he doesn't say "I can't do this with Maya dead." Only that he misses her and doesn't feel like solving crimes without her.

Even the timestamp typewriter narration is worded carefully:
Two Months After
the Shooting
...not "after the murder." Edgeworth, too, refers to a "shooter" and "the shooting," not the murder. Likewise, he never refers to Maya dying in his conversation with Larry...

So why DID he go to Lithuania? Because he was being stalked by the P Syndicate and needed to go into hiding, and didn't want to be anywhere close to Maya in case the trick was discovered!
There are parts of this plot that deliberately play wildly unfair, such as:
Spoiler : Parody :
Tigre lying in his inner monologue and faking hallucinations to himself to fool "mind-reading lawyers."
But the prologue does play fair in its own insane way.
Spoiler : Prologue :
Prologue Phoenix is depressed that Maya got wounded and had to go into hiding, and left the country to shake the Syndicate's surveillance until it was safe to come back. If Maya and him had been seen meeting, it would have been all over.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Ferdie... you have just reconfirmed my belief that this is seriously the best thing ever...
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
cesar26100
Spoken languages: English-Ingles,Español-Spanish

Post by cesar26100 »

Damn...somehow this parody has more foreshadowing than the actual games have. :judge:
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

This was... really something. I'm not even going to try to give a concrete review, because you just sort of blew my mind.

Make no mistake, I loved playing it! It was hilarious. I mean, burst out laughing out loud, oh my gosh, how is any of that possible, hilarious!
Spoiler : Here there be spoilers! :
The parody is well-executed (though I will say that trying to parody unfair puzzle-design led to, well... unfair puzzles. The Invisiclues helped. Figuring out the "truth" of "Iris's murder" made me feel astounding though, so kudos for that. THAT part I mostly figured out on my own. And having Iris testify about her own murder? Pure genius!

Of course, even purer genius was the way it all turned out to be a ploy to catch Payne. Trying to identify the true mastermind was actually rather entertaining... I greatly enjoyed reading the text that showed up when presenting people like the Judge's Brother and Grossberg.

Also, you two seem to really like Tigre and Viola, huh? That twist was so out there I just had to smile. I'm afraid I didn't show up on the AAO scene until after the Golden Age of the-Nihilistic-Mystery (Unless we're still in it? Iunno.), I think, but I have played a few cases and read a few threads (yes, I wandered through Endless Nights after the fact) from that era (which may very well be our own era) so I got the idea. (I mean, seriously, The Empty Turnabout, we get it! It's a locked room! I KNOW! (Not to knock DWaM, though, I'm still playing it and it's a lot of fun and very interesting.))

Anyway, once again my review has fallen to pieces. Suffice it to say that I had a lot of fun. I should probably mention the prologue, which was perhaps the bit with the most funny moments, such as Franziska trying to guess the name of the song (Guilty verdicts for everyone!). Also, your programming skills are absurd. How did you even make that blue-red duel? Or that pigeon Trauma Center sequence?
I'll wrap up before I digress again. To conclude, Phantasmagoria of Betrayal is a parody of this very microcosm and it's a lot of fun to play. Make sure to explore AAO's past and present before playing, though, as otherwise you may miss some of the references and jokes. While certain elements struck me as somewhat frustrating, the Invisiclues make everything doable even for players who are the worst at puzzles (meaning me) and the logic of the case is sound every time it's supposed to be. As a guy who is still brand new and knows virtually nothing compared to the AAO veterans out there, I would recommend giving Phantasmagoria of Betrayal a playthrough (okay, yeah, it's not a very authoritative recommendation, I know...).
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
Tharthan
Spoken languages: English, some Japanese, Dutch, Spanish, French
Location: Rhode Island, a state in the northeastern United States

Post by Tharthan »

I hate that I can't play this in Pale Moon (or maybe I can. I don't want to risk it. Every other time I did, I found it glitching in the middle of scene changes).

I read some of 1984 before, so I hope that this is enjoyable...

Play-by play:
Spoiler : :
*Ooh, soothing music.
*I can already see that this is going to be well done.
* *whistles* *taps fingers*
*Oh, good. You actually let me skip the intro. That's awesome. See, I've always hated Ace Attorney intros because they tell me too much too swiftly, especially in fan cases. Listen, even when I watch Columbo, I wait fifteen minutes before I tune in (not that that makes it any less obvious who the villain is, since Columbo just talks to them for 90% of the episode anyways.
*Oh, sure. I'm all for surveys!
*My name? ... Do you mean my real name? ... eh... uh... No. I'll put in my nickname though.
*Oh, hello to you too, trial. How are you doing today?
*Mercy mode? No kidding, of course I would.
*To turn of mercy mode, blow into the microphone? That's way too easy to turn off! What?! I'm going to deactivate my microphone for the length of this trial if that is true.
*Tutorial prompts? Sure.
*ALRIGHT, NOW. THAT WASN'T NECESSARY. I'm not a doofus.
*Uh... non-Greek tragedy, I guess.
*Uh... Courtroom lobby?
*Huh? I was correct? Awesome. But I didn't purchase this free trial, though.
*Yes, I made my choices, I guess. There wasn't that much to choose from, though.
*Gah! I didn't need to see that realistic looking skull. GET IT AWAY, blast it!
*Ha! Phoenix Wright could never lose heart. Clear fanon is clear.
*Uh... huh...
*No... no thanks. No wheel spinning for me.
*No, again, I'm not interested.
*Huh? I beat the game? What...?
*Am I satisfied with that ending? Of course not. Whattaya talkin' about?
*Fine, I'll spin the blasted wheel. My word...
*Sure. Since "prions" would be a truly terrible fate (100% irreversible death is no good, fellas!)
*Alright, what's going on here? This is.. uh.. odd.
*Wow! I can present to anybody? That's awesome.
*Interestingly, this is probably the happiest scene in the entire Ace Attorney series. They never show the post-trial parties in the games.
*Decisions? Consequences? Huh? In an Ace Attorney game? ... Alright. Let's rock!
*Well, I don't know if I want to call Francisca von Karma over to corroborate.
*Ooh... that's uh... that's not.. good.
*Remember Godot? Yes, sure.
*I like these Godot thoughts. Let's keep going.
*I was voice acting, so I was surprised to hear that line voice acted.
*Alright, that's enough of that.
*Testify about the cake preparations? Nick, are you mad?
*This is retarded.
*YES! BADGE EVIDENCE!
*YOU'RE LARRY BUTZ, OF COURSE SOMETHING IS GOING TO GO WRONG!
*Absurd indeed, but... eh... this trial smacks of "what in the world" already, so... yeah.
*Huh? I need to play as Maya? Uh.. alright.
*I clicked the last option by accident. Well, I'll go with it.
*Uh-oh! It's the pigeon. Should I reload?
*Is this a joke? Trauma Centre or something?
*It is.
*It died anyways? What?
*Alright, enough jokes now. Let's be serious.
*Yay! We saved the pigeon.
*Oh, I get to name the pigeon? Uh...
*How about "Palmer", as in a pilgrim. Fits to a T, I think.
*Palmer the Pigeon
*Now I'm playing as Pearl? What in the world is going on here?
*Ooh, I don't trust this cat.
*Haha! Thought you could stop me from typing that in, huh? Nope. Sorry. I know your game.
*Are you kidding me. Monokuma badger? You're kidding me. Reloading time.
*I'll do the cake first, then the balloons, the the badger.
*Words in red are always true. Hmm...
*That's not very settling because, y'know, that could mean a lot of things.
*Then he doesn't give up then.
*Alright, I can't take this seriously at all with all of these jokes.
*Ooh, fancy.
*So this takes place in an alternative universe.
*Wait.. no that doesn't make any sense.
*Hahaha! I admit, that's funny. Deft Defender Online.
*Lolhwut? Godot? ...What?
Alright, that's the intro bit.

Here's a play-by-play of the trial:
*...What?
*Is this all an illusion? Because if it's not, it sounds retarded.
*All right, testimony time.
*A single error is defeat? Ha! I have quicksaves. Don't worry, doom-and-gloom narrator!
*That first press was stupid. Reloading.
*That second press was also stupid. Reloading yet again.
*That third press... was somewhat stupid. I'll let it stay, though.
*Huh? She isn't dead.
*... :| Is the whole game going to be like this? I hope not.
*I think Maya is saying "this is retarded", just like I am.
*This is seriously retarded. Is this a parody or something?
*Blah blah blah despair despair despair *yawns*
*Are you serious?
*This is meant to be a parody, isn't it?
*This is retarded, but it is probably meant to be retarded.
*This is boring. I'm getting bored.
*At least have some seriousness in this to make in entertaining. This is just boring.
*Is this going to get entertaining at any point in time?
*This is the most boring case in the world. A parody ought to actually be funny.
*Should I even finish this trial... I'm tempted to click the X in the corner...
*Pearl is the only character in this trial that I find I can pay attention to. She is the only one not being retarded.
*That's a great dream, Pearl!
*Yay! Maya is sane. Woohoo!
*...That was retarded, Phoenix.
*I'm just going to look at the walkthrough. I don't even care about this case anymore. It ceased being funny two hours ago.
*I am extremely tempted to just quit this immediately. Extremely tempted. ... But I'll give this case one more chance. One more.
* - _ -
*Tempted to close the window...
Time for the finale, I guess.
*Before this bit even starts, I'm just going to say that this was not very fun. I hate to say it.
*Oh, don't pull this now. It doesn't make it better.
*Either give me an awesome cross examination or end the case now. That was the dumbest I-don't-know-how-long ever. Seriously.
*Is it the judge's brother.
*Not the Judge's brother, hm?
*Is it Bellboy, Shelly de Killer?
*Wait, is it Marvin Grossberg?
*Nope, apparently not.
*Is it Mike Meekins?
*Nope, apparently not.
*is it Winston Payne? That was actually my first guess, but I never said it.
*Wow... uh... that's a pretty funny picture, to say the least.
*Don't tell me it's Charley. Please don't tell me it's Charley.
*It is Charley. Blast it.
*So we're cross-examining Charley. That has almost made up for all of the nonsense from before.
*Wow. Furio Tigre. That's actually pretty good. Good job.
*I know, and that's why I knew that you weren't dead. Or that.. well, that doesn't matter. You're not dead, so... yeah.
I'll give it 3.5/5.
"Ne sorga, snotor guma; selre bið æghwæm þæt he his freond wrece, þonne he fela murne. Ure æghwylc sceal ende gebidan worolde lifes; wyrce se þe mote domes ær deaþe; þæt bið drihtguman unlifgendum æfter selest." – from Beowulf (c. 700-1000 A.D.), one of the earliest pieces of English literature
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

Can't believe I hadn't played this until now.

Literally every feature of this case is brilliant. Also wow there's a lot of technical stuff here I can't possibly comprehend. And programm-y stuff.

5/5, easily. Could not stop smiling throughout the whole thing.
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
AshuraMage
Spoken languages: English/Portuguese

Post by AshuraMage »

Hi, I recently started playing it and I am wondering if there´s any difference if you just keep spinning the wheel of fate? Cuz I am at my 22nd pidgeon right now, just hoping that there´s a secret pidgeon ending or some cutscene
In 2021 I was bored and made an AMV that now has 100K+ views
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

AshuraMage wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:46 pm Hi, I recently started playing it and I am wondering if there´s any difference if you just keep spinning the wheel of fate? Cuz I am at my 22nd pidgeon right now, just hoping that there´s a secret pidgeon ending or some cutscene
No, looking in the editor, all it does is add one to the count. No data is carried over from the prologue at the end of it, either.
AshuraMage
Spoken languages: English/Portuguese

Post by AshuraMage »

Grounder wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:10 am
AshuraMage wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:46 pm Hi, I recently started playing it and I am wondering if there´s any difference if you just keep spinning the wheel of fate? Cuz I am at my 22nd pidgeon right now, just hoping that there´s a secret pidgeon ending or some cutscene
No, looking in the editor, all it does is add one to the count. No data is carried over from the prologue at the end of it, either.
Oh, ok then, thx for the answer
In 2021 I was bored and made an AMV that now has 100K+ views
Romanjahangir
Spoken languages: Français, Anglais

Post by Romanjahangir »

So hello, I want to play the cases, as i think that it's pretty interesting. Only that the case doesn't work. I don't know if that's a problem with me or the case, but when i click on the link it's says that the place it want to take me, doesn't exist at all. I'm using Firefox so I don't really know what's going on here. But can someone help me please ?
eerew

Post by eerew »

Romanjahangir wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:49 pm So hello, I want to play the cases, as i think that it's pretty interesting. Only that the case doesn't work. I don't know if that's a problem with me or the case, but when i click on the link it's says that the place it want to take me, doesn't exist at all. I'm using Firefox so I don't really know what's going on here. But can someone help me please ?
If a link says "sparklin" in it it's outdated. You need to take the number that shows up after the "trial_id=" part of the link and put it into the modern link.

So if the link ends in trial_id=55555, you would play it with the link https://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=55555