[T][CE] The Mother's Turnabout ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

trialdude
Spoken languages: English

[T][CE] The Mother's Turnabout ●

Post by trialdude »

Created for The Miracle Happen competition, hosted by Trybien and Spongesonic

A story about a mother and her son.

Click here to play.

Spoiler : Walkthrough :
Investigation:
Detention Center: Exhaust all Talk Options

Freeman Home: Exhaust all Talk Options. Examine Front Gate and Gun Outline.

Merrill Home: Exhaust all Talk Options.

Trial:
Testimony 1: Present Crime Scene Map at Statement 5

Testimony 2: Press Statement 4. Present Gun at New Statement

Present Crime Scene Map

Testimony 3a: Press all Statements

Testimony 3b: Present Tom's Photo at Statement 3

Refuse

Defense Lounge:
Present Clay Cardinal
Present Robin Freeman
Spoiler : Credits (Spoilers) :
Loosely based on "Witness for the Prosecution" by Agatha Christie.
Dale Turner sprites created by FenrirDarkWolf.
Wade Beck sprites created by Dataman.
Judge sprites created by gotMLK7.
Rachel Freeman sprites created by Singidava.
Tom Shutter sprites and Robin Freeman profile picture created by DragonTrainer.
Merrill Home Background created by Greeny.
Rebecca's Theme - The Steel Samurai from Gyakuten Meets Jazz Soul.
Reveal Theme - Crumbleden from Super Mario Odyssey.
Credits Theme - Bonnie's Lullaby from Five Nights at Freddy's 3.
I have the stupidest username in all of AAO. Nowhere else will you find one more stupid.
Trybien

Re: [T][CE] The Mother's Turnabout ●

Post by Trybien »

I don't know what Sponge was talking about in his comp review about the earlier parts of the case, but I generally felt the whole thing was pretty well told. The ending on the other hand, sheesh, oh boy. You just need to see for yourself.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

Spoiler : Don't effing read this if you haven't played :
I was extremely neutral on almost everything except Rebecca (who I thought was great). I wasn't quite bored, because I had read Sponge's review and I was looking forward to whatever the twist was, but a lot of the dialogue was cut and dry and that wasn't quite to my taste. Then the end of the case came around, and I was like "oh, that's it? I don't know why Sponge got so excited about that". At least, until I realized that WASN'T the end.
That was a brilliant twist. The "real favorite bird" line gripped at my $#?!ing CORE. What a damn a-hole creep. And his b-word mom just smoothly confessing how they did it and set up all the contradictions like that. I knew her being an actor was gonna have to come up.
Side props to the ending theme being a remix of Schubert's Serenade. I played that as a kid and loved it. (I know this version's from FNaF, so you probably don't actually know it as that, but it's still cool.)
Well done.
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

risefromtheashes wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:03 pm
Spoiler : Don't effing read this if you haven't played :
I was extremely neutral on almost everything except Rebecca (who I thought was great). I wasn't quite bored, because I had read Sponge's review and I was looking forward to whatever the twist was, but a lot of the dialogue was cut and dry and that wasn't quite to my taste. Then the end of the case came around, and I was like "oh, that's it? I don't know why Sponge got so excited about that". At least, until I realized that WASN'T the end.
That was a brilliant twist. The "real favorite bird" line gripped at my $#?!ing CORE. What a damn a-hole creep. And his b-word mom just smoothly confessing how they did it and set up all the contradictions like that. I knew her being an actor was gonna have to come up.
Side props to the ending theme being a remix of Schubert's Serenade. I played that as a kid and loved it. (I know this version's from FNaF, so you probably don't actually know it as that, but it's still cool.)
Well done.
Spoiler : :
Yeah, I definitely encourage people who aren't feeling it to stick around until the very end. I wasn't feeling it until that final reveal, which completely changed my perspective of the case.
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
eerew

Post by eerew »

Played through this case. Was gonna do the scary twist present at first as a joke but i didn't think it'd work. i wonder if it works the first time /w\ (im shy)

anyways in the 3rd testimony the "Evaluate conditions to redirect the player " on the last statement will soft lock you if you don't press in order. you need to change the failure frame to something that isn't 1191.

ok love you trialdude bye :oops:
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Finished playing this, had a nice time.
Like others have said, the ending twist was very good. I know you had an inspiration for it that you listed in the credits, but I really like that you kind of made it into your own thing. If I had one thing I would have liked added, it would be a quick note about what happened to Rachel while Dale was reminiscing about the little he knew about what happened to Rebecca and Gideon afterwards during the ending. I really think you could emphasize Dale's guilt even if it was a simple "I also don't know what happened to her", but that's just how I'd do it.

Was a nice story, thank you for making.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

This is one I was heavily looking forward to after reading the reviews and watching the awards ceremony, and it was definitely worth all the praise it got!
I obviously knew there was a twist coming, and while playing, I tried to keep my eyes peeled for any clues as to what it could be. I had some ideas, but nothing prepared me for what it actually was. As soon as I realized what "your favorite bird" was actually referring to, my heart sunk. Truly a beautifully tragic ending to this otherwise standard case.
Image Image
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

I got the good ending! LMFAO
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
trialdude

Post by trialdude »

Sorry I haven't been active, didn't have internet access for a hot sec. I'm glad you're all enjoying the case!
Spoiler : spoilers, NO LOOKING :
risefromtheashes wrote:That was a brilliant twist. The "real favorite bird" line gripped at my $#?!ing CORE.
Thanks! I was proud of that one. Fun fact, Dale Turner's original name was Dale Tern, but I had to change it because it messed with that puzzle.
spongesonic wrote:Yeah, I definitely encourage people who aren't feeling it to stick around until the very end. I wasn't feeling it until that final reveal, which completely changed my perspective of the case.
I guess the side effect of disguising this as a normal, paint-by-numbers case was that it would end up PLAYING like a normal, paint-by-numbers case.
eerew wrote:anyways in the 3rd testimony the "Evaluate conditions to redirect the player " on the last statement will soft lock you if you don't press in order. you need to change the failure frame to something that isn't 1191.

ok love you trialdude bye :oops:
should be fixed now, love you too :sawhit:
GuardianDreamer wrote:Like others have said, the ending twist was very good. I know you had an inspiration for it that you listed in the credits, but I really like that you kind of made it into your own thing. If I had one thing I would have liked added, it would be a quick note about what happened to Rachel while Dale was reminiscing about the little he knew about what happened to Rebecca and Gideon afterwards during the ending. I really think you could emphasize Dale's guilt even if it was a simple "I also don't know what happened to her", but that's just how I'd do it.

Was a nice story, thank you for making.
Ever since I read that story years ago, I've wanted to transpose that sort of twist into this website. I'm glad I've finally gotten to the point where I could pull it off.

Oh, and that Rachel idea's great. I did feel like the last part was a little short. Might just give it a shot.
Awsome2464 wrote:I obviously knew there was a twist coming, and while playing, I tried to keep my eyes peeled for any clues as to what it could be. I had some ideas, but nothing prepared me for what it actually was.
Nice. As much as I love receiving awards, I was worried that knowing a twist was coming might detract from the case a little. Looks like the opposite might have been true.
risefromtheashes wrote:Image
I got the good ending! LMFAO
Wait no-
I have the stupidest username in all of AAO. Nowhere else will you find one more stupid.
Kit

Post by Kit »

Nice case, I like that it's relatively simple.
I also like the use of the miracle theme, especially at the end when Dale takes it as a sign to reveal the whole thing :!:
Msipp26

Post by Msipp26 »

Spoiler : Spoilers :
honestly, I initially thought that the thing in the picture was the gun cause it looks suspiciously like a gun. which would mean that the situation is in fact reversed. But I guess that was too ace attorney for something like this.[spoiler]
:dekiller:
just a guy with a lot of ideas but who isn't very good at executing them.

THERE ARE MYSTERIES OTHER THAN LOCKED ROOMS, YOU GUYS. NOT EVERY CASE HAS TO BE A LOCKED ROOM MYSTERY.

comment "Danganronpa chapter 3" on any trial with more than one murder