[M] Simplified MMBN Combat System in AAO Example

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Rhenium186
Spoken languages: English

[M] Simplified MMBN Combat System in AAO Example

Post by Rhenium186 »

Synopsis:
As its name implies, this trial is trying to make an (very simplified) example of MMBN (Mega Man Battle Network) style combat in AAO case maker.
There are no spoilers for MMBN, as there is no plot, just a fight against a single opponent.

Of course, true real-time combat in AAO is beyond my abilities.
Hence, there is a 0.9 second timer for each of your actions (be that moving, using a chip, etc.); other actions (opponent moving/attacking, shockwave attack moving on, etc.)
will happen once you have spent more than cumulative 0.9 seconds on your actions.

Features include:
- five different chips (cannon, recover 10, sword, longsword, widesword); 15 chips in total
- letter codes (to use different types of chips in the same round)
- buster attack (deals 3 damage; charged attack has not been included)
- custom bar (timer which when filled, allows getting chips from the folder by using L/R buttons)
- health numbers for both MegaMan (player controlled character) and the opponent
- harder mode (extra shockwave attacks spawn on the farthest right column)
- short tutorial (on-rails, unfortunately)

Note that there are no animations, just still images (even the custom bar consists of several still images on different frames in AAO editor).

Important: There is also, after winning or losing, a dialog option for replaying easier/harder mode and tutorial.
This is to avoid using refresh button and therefore using up internet.

Credits:
Spoiler : :
Images were taken from MMBN and MMBCC (Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge) and then edited as necessary.
Music tracks used:
MMBN 3 OST - Shooting Enemy (Battle Theme)
MMBN victory theme
MMBN 3 game over music*

Special thanks to eerew for playtesting

*In editor put under the sounds rather than music category to avoid looping
Sidenote: Just to avoid misunderstandings, I am not a (at least not die-hard) fan, never having watched anime, read manga or talked to the MM community in general.
Although I did work on this very slowly on and off since at least 26. 4. 2022., before I heard about the legacy collection coming.

Play here: https://aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=137581
TimeAxis

Re: [M] Simplified MMBN Combat System in AAO Example

Post by TimeAxis »

This is really impressive. And yeah, any kind of real-time stuff in AAO is going to be messy at best, with a lot of flickering and stuff, so you most likely did this the smartest way with the semi-realtime approach. I'm not the biggest MMBN fan so I can't judge the accuracy of what's going on too much, but it's nice to see more people experimenting with the limits of the editor like this.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Bannedfrom7

Re: [M] Simplified MMBN Combat System in AAO Example

Post by Bannedfrom7 »

WOWZERS I GOTTA PLAY THIS
I am Banned