[T] [AU]A Lucky First Turnabout-A Klavier Gavin Story●●●[COMPLETE]

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Tibi1234
Spoken languages: English, Romanian

[T] [AU]A Lucky First Turnabout-A Klavier Gavin Story●●●[COMPLETE]

Post by Tibi1234 »

After almost 4 or 5 months of hard work, my first fan case is finally finished!

Before I give details on the case, I want everyone to know that I'm Tibi1234, I've been lurking on AAO for a while playing fan cases and all that and I finally managed to make my first proper fan case. I hope that the fan case is somewhat enjoyable for what it is.

Nothing other than the story and some edited images are mine, the other are owned and created by Capcom and sprites made by AAO users. There's also one musical theme used that is from the Danganronpa franchise.

Fan Case Cover:

Info:
  • Like with most other AAO cases, using Firefox is recommended through Chrome works as well.
  • Trial Former made in 1 week
  • Wait until both loading bars are green to play the case, otherwise the music, sound effects and images won't load properly
  • I suggest using the latest versions of Chrome or Firefox when playing.
  • This fan case contains vague spoilers for the original trilogy and spoilers for AA: AJ(through considering this is an AU with different things going on, the spoilers are kinda obtuse)
Updates:
  • Fixed a small issue in logic so the theory in Trial Former makes more sense, so please replay the trial former to see the added change.
  • Changed the evidence Bath Coat to Bathrobe
  • Added a new piece of evidence in Trial Former
  • I decided to combine Trial Middle and Latter into just Trial Latter
  • Already started work on Trial Latter
  • Fixed all the issues with the music and Klavier using his air guitar once every 5 scenes.
Features
  • Alternate Universe(AU)
  • Fan Case focusing on Klavier Gavin
  • A Tibi1234 fan case
  • Part 1 of a possible series
  • Dual Destinies 3D Backgrounds
  • Fully functional non-stop debate mechanic inspired by the Danganronpa series
  • Two Custom Tracks, Rising and Pressing Pursuit ~ Guilty, made by the very talented Yolk Productions from youtube(Check them out if you didn't yet! They take song comissions for 10 dollars for those of you interested.)
  • Story
    Spoiler : :
    In an alternate universe where Klavier Gavin is the rookie defense attorney and Apollo Justice is the genius prosecutor...

Klavier Gavin has his first trial as a defense attorney in quite a while after his band, "The Gavinners" splits up following an argument. He is joined by his mysterious german teacher Geib Von Hutgewicht in a murder case involving a certain local artist by the name of Larry Butz :larry:, a certain boisterous detective by the name of Dick Gumshoe :gumshoe:, a beauty by the name of April May :april: and a mysterious prosecutor by the name of Godot :godot:...

But what starts like a relatively easy case soon proves to be more complex than Klavier initially thought as it seemingly also involves the ex-defense attorney Phoenix Wright :phoenix: , revenge, a knife and a bottle of medicine...but...how are they all connected...?
  • Screenshots(these are from the former version without the DD backgrounds):
  • Walkthrough:
    Trial Former Walkthrough:
    Larry's Testimony:
    Press all statements to get extra information
    Present Bloody Bath Coat on the fourth statement

When asked by the judge what that means, choose "He is telling the truth"

When prompted to present evidence, present Bloody Knife
    Trial Middle Walkthrough:
    Gumshoe's first testimony:
    Present Bloody Knife on the last statement

Gumshoe's second testimony:
    Press the 2nd statement
    Choose "It's very important"
    Present either Medicine Bottle on the new statement

When asked by the judge, choose "It was poison"

When asked by the judge, present the profile of April May.
    Trial Latter Walktrough:
    Godot's non-stop debate:
    Press all argument
    Present the medicine bottle on the third argument
    Present the newspaper clipping on the last argument(or you can just press the last statement and do this to speedrun the section)

May's first testimony:
    Present either the medicine bottle or the updated autopsy report on the third statement

May's second testimony:
    Present the crime diagram on the second statement
    When asked to, point to the killer/K circle and present it to the judge
Last edited by Tibi1234 on Wed May 03, 2023 8:17 pm, edited 12 times in total.
casewriter
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T] [AU]A Lucky First Turnabout-A Klavier Gavin Story●○○

Post by casewriter »

Alright, so there's a lot good and also bad about this case, just from the trial former. First of all, I would like to point out that I love the cover made for this case, especially with the color scheme and the four-leaf clover. The character writing is pretty good, especially with character's like Godot or Larry. Using a custom courtroom is also something I don't see often for a first case, which is very cool. The interface is pretty smooth, with an example being how an objection yell sprite doesn't stay static until you press the forward button, instead being an automatic frame.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few problems with this case. First of all, the grammar, while being readable, is full of words that have too many of one letter, like prefer being "preffer." There are also some words where a letter is missing, like with "Walktrough." It's not game-breaking, but it is distracting. Secondly, there are a lot of four-liners, five-liners, and six-liners in the text. An important thing to learn is that lines should be at the most three lines, which is the base your given, otherwise the words will clog up the screen and it will look unprofessional. Another important thing to know is when to use damage sprites and music. There are a lot of pieces of music to use, such as the Objection! theme, the Tell The Truth theme, and the Pursuit theme. It's best to have a build-up of these tracks until the big pursuit theme, instead of immediately going for the first pursuit theme at the first contradiction. Also, using big damage sprites like Godot's visor exploding should be saved until the climax, and shouldn't be set off by something trivial like the Judge scolding him. Klavier using the air-guitar shouldn't be every few frames One other thing I want to mention is that your making the green evidence metadata fill up with too many words, making it look strange as the words go off the screen.

The bath robe contradiction itself isn't terrible, but the problem is later. It feels way too sudden to just say that the victim tried to kill the defendant, as there isn't enough build-up, or given logic that would cue the player into what is going to be said. Foreshadowing is important, so maybe there could be a few more testimonies to show that the victim would do that, otherwise it will feel like guessing to the player. Not to mention, we should get a more explanatory idea of who the victim was, before this big accusation. One last thing is that the music abruptly changes based on which character is talking, which feels jarring because there should be only one track between multiple characters.

I'm not trying to hate on you here, Tibi1234, but I just want to make sure you know the best ways to make a case. With the proper planning, writing, editing, and perhaps playtesting from others, I feel like this could be a good series. However, I feel the problems are a bit too hard to ignore. The best thing to do is learn how to use the trial editor more, and look closely at the writing of other notable creators like DWaM and DrVonkitty. I'm not saying you should copy off from them, but I feel it's best to learn from others instead of jumping straight into it. You have a lot of talent that I can see, so I hope you have a good day, Tibi!
Tibi1234

Post by Tibi1234 »

casewriter wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:45 pm Alright, so there's a lot good and also bad about this case, just from the trial former. First of all, I would like to point out that I love the cover made for this case, especially with the color scheme and the four-leaf clover. The character writing is pretty good, especially with character's like Godot or Larry. Using a custom courtroom is also something I don't see often for a first case, which is very cool. The interface is pretty smooth, with an example being how an objection yell sprite doesn't stay static until you press the forward button, instead being an automatic frame.
Thanks for the praise.
casewriter wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:45 pmUnfortunately, there are quite a few problems with this case. First of all, the grammar, while being readable, is full of words that have too many of one letter, like prefer being "preffer." There are also some words where a letter is missing, like with "Walktrough." It's not game-breaking, but it is distracting. Secondly, there are a lot of four-liners, five-liners, and six-liners in the text. An important thing to learn is that lines should be at the most three lines, which is the base your given, otherwise the words will clog up the screen and it will look unprofessional. Another important thing to know is when to use damage sprites and music. There are a lot of pieces of music to use, such as the Objection! theme, the Tell The Truth theme, and the Pursuit theme. It's best to have a build-up of these tracks until the big pursuit theme, instead of immediately going for the first pursuit theme at the first contradiction. Also, using big damage sprites like Godot's visor exploding should be saved until the climax, and shouldn't be set off by something trivial like the Judge scolding him. Klavier using the air-guitar shouldn't be every few frames One other thing I want to mention is that your making the green evidence metadata fill up with too many words, making it look strange as the words go off the screen.
Yeah, sorry for the grammar issues, english is not my first language but that didn't mean I couldn't look the right pronuntation up. I did think that I used a bit too much of four-liners and such and I did notice they looked off in the trial editor but did not think of ways to shorten them. The evidence metadata too I just took the obtained texts from how the actual AA games portray them but they went off the screen. As for Godot's visor exploding and Klavier using the air guitar were a bit much.
casewriter wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:45 pmThe bath robe contradiction itself isn't terrible, but the problem is later. It feels way too sudden to just say that the victim tried to kill the defendant, as there isn't enough build-up, or given logic that would cue the player into what is going to be said. Foreshadowing is important, so maybe there could be a few more testimonies to show that the victim would do that, otherwise it will feel like guessing to the player. Not to mention, we should get a more explanatory idea of who the victim was, before this big accusation. One last thing is that the music abruptly changes based on which character is talking, which feels jarring because there should be only one track between multiple characters.
Yeah, I did think that logic was a bit of a scretch and that it could come out of nowhere but it was the best logic I could get. As for the songs...yeah, you're right, I shouldn't've swapped the music during trial and only after the objection or if something happens to warrant the change.
casewriter wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:45 pm I'm not trying to hate on you here, Tibi1234, but I just want to make sure you know the best ways to make a case. With the proper planning, writing, editing, and perhaps playtesting from others, I feel like this could be a good series. However, I feel the problems are a bit too hard to ignore. The best thing to do is learn how to use the trial editor more, and look closely at the writing of other notable creators like DWaM and DrVonkitty. I'm not saying you should copy off from them, but I feel it's best to learn from others instead of jumping straight into it. You have a lot of talent that I can see, so I hope you have a good day, Tibi!
I am not gonna misunderstand the criticism as hate or anything, and I greatly appreciate the feedback. I'll try to learn more about case writing, I'm a fanfiction writer and I thought that case writing would work the same way but now I see that I still have more to learn about writing fan cases than I thought. Have a good day too, casewriter!
casewriter

Post by casewriter »

I think it would be good to make it more than three cases. I was thinking it should be at least four, because simply having one case as Apollo being the prosecutor before the big, finale case seems a bit too rushed. Four cases gives a lot more time for a story build-up, without being too full of fluff. I hope this was a good idea.
Tibi1234

Post by Tibi1234 »

casewriter wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:30 am I think it would be good to make it more than three cases. I was thinking it should be at least four, because simply having one case as Apollo being the prosecutor before the big, finale case seems a bit too rushed. Four cases gives a lot more time for a story build-up, without being too full of fluff. I hope this was a good idea.
I don't know if I'll make a series out of this defense attorney Klavier and prosecutor Apollo AU scenario at the moment, but if I do...it'll probably be as long as Ace Attorney 1 with 5 separate cases. And Godot will only be prosecutor for this case, if I make it into a series, Apollo will be the main prosecutor for the other 4 remaining cases. I hope that provides a satisfying answer!
Tibi1234

Re: [T] [AU]A Lucky First Turnabout-A Klavier Gavin Story●●○

Post by Tibi1234 »

The second part of the trial out of the planned three is out everyone! Please check the trial middle back up on the case's post higher from here.

Hope everyone enjoys it or the updates for the trial former.
Tibi1234

Re: 1[T] [AU]A Lucky First Turnabout-A Klavier Gavin Story●●●[COMPLETE]

Post by Tibi1234 »

After all this time...A Lucky First Turnabout: A Klavier Gavin story is fully finished with all 3 parts completed!

I hope you all ENJOY!!!
casewriter

Re: [T] [AU]A Lucky First Turnabout-A Klavier Gavin Story●●●[COMPLETE]

Post by casewriter »

Alright, this was pretty fun. The graphics just keep getting better and better, and the new mechanic is pretty cool. April May is written pretty well, I like how she just bounces off of Klavier until the end. It was a bit easy to take her down though, only two testimonies and no proof. The new backstory of Klavier being hated instead of being helped by Kristoph is pretty interesting, and I'm excited to see where it goes. I do have to wonder why most of the evidence, including the glass shards, my theory, and butz's phone aren't used at all. Were you going to use them, but skipped them down the line? I like your graphics for the non-stop debate. They are really well done. The cameos from characters like Debeste are cool as well. I'm interested in seeing where Hutgewicht will come into the story later, so I'll stay tuned for that. Programming could use a little work though, as I noticed that sprites sometimes flashed across the screen to the defense, prosecution, and judge's bench where they shouldn't be. I like how Hutgewicht uses the German objection, that's a nice touch. It was good to see Phoenix again, and he seems like his hobo self. I wish I could have talked longer before Klavier decided to join the agency, but I get how we have to move things along. Music timing will get better as this goes on, I'm sure. Overall, it's a promising first showing, with a lot of flash in it. This is just my opinion though, so take it with a grain of salt,
GlitchTimes
Spoken languages: English and Spanish

Post by GlitchTimes »

Just finished this case recently, and while I liked it and the story has a lot of promise and potential, I felt this case to be very unpolished. Many times the characters were moving to quickly only getting a sentence or two in until they move onto the next conversation topic, the pacing feels very rushed. It feels that the characters should have said something more or the conversation should have been longer, since as is, the dialogue can feel a bit stiff and unnatural.

The contradictons as well, while some are reasonably good like with Larry and the Bath Coat or April with the Updated Report and Diagram, others feel either superfluous and could be taken out, like when Klavier objected during Godot wanting Larry to say his name or showing the medicine bottle to Godot in order to say that it still hasn't been tested during the Non-Stop Debate, or like large leaps in logic, with the victim attacking Larry or that the victim actually died of poisoning, both felt like there was a step missing in order for Kalvier to come to that reasoning. The case logic also isn't the best, after finshing the case I still didn't understand why the victim attacked Larry or why April May killed the victim, from what's given it seems fairly arbitrary, petty, and lacked the necessary build up that would make it work, we don't really get a gauge of their characters so we don't get why they would do these kind of things. The reasoning ends up feeling very much like Larry couldn't have done it so the other person must have.

To go back to the unpolished comment, this has most to do with the build of the case. There are many times where there are just random frames that are meant to be a sort of transition that don't go automatically and need to be clicked on to transtiton. There were also a couple times where characters mouths didn't move when talking or where Klavier would be talking over the hop the witness or judge's bench. The use of music as well seems a bit off, there is no transiton between music, it just goes from one track to another without any quiet inbetween that allows each track to breathe. Like for example, objecting, whenever Klavier objects to a testimony his objection theme starts blasting out immediately after objecting, there's no build up to the track like in the main games where they build up to objection point. Also speaking on music, some track choices for certain parts seemed strange, like playing Apollo's objection theme when the trial began only to go use the actualy Court Begins music, or when Cross-Examination~Moderato is used when a character gives their testimony only for Cross-Examination~Allegro to be used during the cross examination, that should be saved for the important or final testimonies and cross-examinations, moderato is used during most cross-examinations. Also there's no Victory music after beating the trial and only the Defense Lobby theme is played, it makes winning the case kind of anticlimactic, Victory music is reserved for this point, it's meant to be sort of relaxing cool down and cheerful after gaining victory for their clients. I recommed looking up videos on and just playing around in general with the case maker, it'll help to figure out a lot of things, you can also look into other people's trial editors to get a grasp of what they did and use those techniques to help fix up the cases.

I'm sorry if this came off as negative, I really did like the case and the ideas. The whole Swap AU concept is very interesting to me and feels like it has a lot of potential, I wish to see more of this AU. The character writing overall was fairly good, the characters overally mostly feel very much like themselves and they bounce off each other fairly well, though Godot does come off a bit petty here, especially since he has little reason to be this arrogant or meanspirited towards Klavier. The Non-Stop Debate mechanic is also pretty cool and interesting, though I just wish there was more player involvement, like you acutally having to find the key words that are causing the discourse, but I still liked it and would like to see how else this will be used with this game. The original music was also really good and felt well placed throughout the case.

Overall I think this case and any others you make in this AU are very promising, I just feel a bit more polish could be done before releasing them. I would glad to provide any help or assistance if you require some, would gladly play test to help smooth things out in the game. I hope to see more cases from you in the future, this may be a rough start but I really think you have some promise and should keep making fan-cases.
Tibi1234

Post by Tibi1234 »

Hello, first off, I didn't really expect anyone to still play this old case of mine so I thank you for that and second off, sorry for the late reply, I haven't really used AA Online for quite a while.

Now to adress you review/comment in depht:

I'm glad to hear that you thought the case had promise and for the comments on the dialogue and the contradiction and yeah, I agree with you, I was making leaps of logic and did write some stiff dialogue, back then I was so set on finishing the fan case that I overlooked these on purpose and I know I shouldn't've done it and instead polish it further.

Yeah, I agree with the build of the case away, the music and flashing issue was really on me, as I was new to all of this and all that. And I really apologize for you or anyone who wanted to get invested in the case only for stuff like that to happen in all 3 parts of the case.

It's okay, you didn't seem like overly negative, you sounded fair throghout the entire review. I'm glad you liked my Swap AU idea even if it has been done before in other artworks, fanfics and fan cases. Glad to hear you think I mostly wrote the characters as themselfes and for Godot...yeah, I needed him to be an early antagonist for Klavier but I kinda made him feel more like Winston Payne with his petiness which I do admit wasn't probably the best idea.

As for the Non-Stop Debate, yeah, I agree that it was cool but I can admit I didn't let it bake enough in the oven, and your suggestions are welcome. Still glad to hear you liked it regardless.

And the same with the music, even if I myself wasn't responsible for it other than asking for it from Yolk Studios.

Glad to hear about that and I feel like this idea is promising as well. Thanks for the willingness to help me and I'll think it over if I'll ever need. And I should probably watch some more tutorials.

Unfortunately at the moment I am not really looking to continue this AU fan case or turn it into a series, at least not for a while. And even if I did, I'll probably have to rework the concept entirely for a 2nd case, alongside having to either get rid of or change the Non-Stop Debates and the original music, the music mostly because I ended up having to break ties with Yolk Studios after some further discussion with him, so I'd most likely have to request some new music from someone else or make some myself.

Though so that I don't end this on a dour note, lately I have been trying some more case makers alongside AA Online like PyWright or Objection.LOL and I still am considering some AA ideas or heck perhaps even do something original inspired by AA. I don't know right now if I'll make any more AA cases, I may. But even if I may, I perhaps would come back with a better case than this one or using an entirely different case maker. I dunno, I guess I'll wait and see for what the future helps.

Right now I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, GlitchTimes and I hope I'll see you on any of my future cases as well.