Any plans to Add Stop All Sound effects AND/OR custom Bleps?

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Mosy
Spoken languages: English

Any plans to Add Stop All Sound effects AND/OR custom Bleps?

Post by Mosy »

1: Stop all Sound Effects: I think it would be really easy to implement this because all the code is already there for Stop All Music. I know everyone is just going to say that sound effects is just for Objection sounds or stuff, but more variety is always welcome. Stopping sound effects will especially be useful if the sound effects are a little longer (such as wind sound effects, or birds chirping, ocean sounds, etc.), there is no way to stop the sound effect from overlapping.
I just really like the idea of sound effects playing in the background of an investigation scene, and the sound effect can be stopped when we move onto the next scene.
I was hoping this would appear with the Music update, due to the code already being there for Stop all Music.

2: Custom Voice Bleps: And for text bleps, there are only 3 choices (Male, Female, Typewriter), imagine if we could upload our own 1 second sound file as a custom blep. Would be really cool feature for some epic boss fight character, etc.

Thank you!! love you all.
Last edited by Mosy on Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live life as you enjoy it, pal!- :objection:
I guess not...
TimeAxis

Re: Any plans to Add Stop All Sound effects?

Post by TimeAxis »

I agree that this would be a very useful feature. (The first one)
Last edited by TimeAxis on Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I'd settle for a no voice beeps, myself.
Mosy

Post by Mosy »

TimeAxis wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:51 am I agree that this would be a very useful feature.
Right??
It shouldn't be too hard to put in as well, pretty sure. Would make some cases more professional.
I guess not...
TimeAxis

Re: Any plans to Add Stop All Sound effects AND/OR custom Bleps?

Post by TimeAxis »

To add on to this, it would allow for things like voice acting. So you could have a voice acted line, and then stop the line when the player moves onto the next line instead of overlapping it with the next one, or forcing the player to wait for the line to finish. Since it would function pretty much identically to stopping music, both UI-wise and internally, I don't think it would be very difficult to implement.

The blips I think would be a bit more complicated, since they seem to be more baked into a lot of different parts of the engine, and would require a lot of extra UI stuff. But it's also a less necessary feature, as technically, you could use the ability to stop all sound effects to create fake custom blips too. Set speaking voice to none, play your repeating custom blip sound, and add a joined frame stopping the sound once text is done. So really only the first suggestion would serve both these purposes.
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

Can't you just set the blips to 'None' in the engine already?
ImageImageImage
Mosy

Post by Mosy »

TimeAxis wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:12 am To add on to this, it would allow for things like voice acting. So you could have a voice acted line, and then stop the line when the player moves onto the next line instead of overlapping it with the next one, or forcing the player to wait for the line to finish. Since it would function pretty much identically to stopping music, both UI-wise and internally, I don't think it would be very difficult to implement.

The blips I think would be a bit more complicated, since they seem to be more baked into a lot of different parts of the engine, and would require a lot of extra UI stuff. But it's also a less necessary feature, as technically, you could use the ability to stop all sound effects to create fake custom blips too. Set speaking voice to none, play your repeating custom blip sound, and add a joined frame stopping the sound once text is done. So really only the first suggestion would serve both these purposes.
All really creative ideas to be honest! Good to keep in mind we can go round if really necessary. And also, custom voice lines would also be really cool to see. Let's hope we can get a stop all sound effects button in the near someday.
I guess not...
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

applekitty wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:15 pm Can't you just set the blips to 'None' in the engine already?
Sure, if you don't mind being spoiled about every character.
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

Grounder wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:12 pm
Sure, if you don't mind being spoiled about every character.
What?
ImageImageImage
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

I think they mean they want a player-side disabling of bleeps, not editor-side. Not really relevant to the original suggestion though.
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Torri 800

Post by Torri 800 »

I agree that overlapping sound effects are jarring unless otherwise intentional, but that's something that everyone can agree with. I think the ability to add a custom Blip sound effect would be just as amazing, considering Damian Tenma from GS5 used a very cool sounding deep blip unique to him. GS6 even gave Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin a drum sounding blip of his own in the later stages of The Foreign Turnabout.
Mosy

Post by Mosy »

Exactly right. And again, I do think these can be easily implemented since the idea is already lingering in the code.
Sadly if this post doesn't get the attention of any moderators, I do think this idea will be left out in the dust :/
Although I think it would be a game-changer slice of life change.
Torri 800 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:46 pm I agree that overlapping sound effects are jarring unless otherwise intentional, but that's something that everyone can agree with. I think the ability to add a custom Blip sound effect would be just as amazing, considering Damian Tenma from GS5 used a very cool sounding deep blip unique to him. GS6 even gave Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin a drum sounding blip of his own in the later stages of The Foreign Turnabout.
I guess not...
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

Stop Current Sound would be such an excellent feature, I have narration and thus voiced lines in my work... and gosh are things jarring if someone skips past frames quickly, I am in with this idea.
Mosy

Post by Mosy »

Super legenda wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:12 pm Stop Current Sound would be such an excellent feature, I have narration and thus voiced lines in my work... and gosh are things jarring if someone skips past frames quickly, I am in with this idea.
Right!?
I don't even think it's that hard to implement, it's already all coded in for the Music.
Oh, your narration idea sounds cool :P
I guess not...
ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

Post by ThePaSch »

Mosy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:25 pm I don't even think it's that hard to implement, it's already all coded in for the Music.
The main issue with the current implementation of sounds and music is that the trial player currently does not keep track of which sound effects are playing, as sound effects tend to be a "fire-and-forget" thing. They are rarely something you'll want to pause, stop, or otherwise directly control, as most of them tend to be less than a second long. So as of now, once we decide to play a sound effect, we just tell it to play and then promptly forget about it; it'll play itself out, and then that's that.

The same isn't true of music, as it's something you'll very often have playing in the background. We need to be able to stop it, control its volume, and there's only ever going to be one track that's playing at a time, so we do keep track of it - we have to, really. That's why this is easy to do for music, but not quite as simple for sound effects.

A "stop current sound effect" action is additionally sort of problematic since, unlike music, you can play multiple sound effects at the same time, so defining what "current sound effect" means can get a little muddy. The obvious alternative would be a "stop ALL current sound effects" action, but that might, by itself, carry more potential unintended side effects.

All in all, it's certainly not impossible to implement, but also not as trivial as it may seem. Music and sound effects are handled somewhat differently in-code, so a slight refactoring would be in order to accommodate for this. It's certainly not the world, though; the main limiting factor, as with any AAO feature or bugfix, is the availability of any developers who might want to take a stab at it, and the availability of Unas to push the changes to the main site.