[E] CSS in editor

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Sheika
Spoken languages: Español / English / Peux lire français

[E] CSS in editor

Post by Sheika »

Okay, I know this is a very tall request, and I don't yet know enough about web development to know whether this could cause a security issue.

However.

Would it be possible to have a tab on the editor where we can modify the player's stylesheet for our specific case? Just a text box with the editable .css in it. The possibilities for it are limitless. We could modify the editor's presentation to match our case's visual style. We could implement different fonts on the text boxes or court records. We could change the way the CR presents info. We could implement screen sizes other than 256x192, a pretty widely requested feature, on our own. Since the burden would be on the author to know or learn CSS in order to make things, I think this would be fairly low-stress for the AAO developers, besides sanitization and ensuring site security.

Is this a realistic request?
Mosy
Spoken languages: English

Re: [E] CSS in editor

Post by Mosy »

SO COOL YES PLEAAASE!
If we could code different options so each case would have a different looking gameplay engine, screensize, etc.
Man, sadly all we can do is most likely dream, as the Moderators for this site have been down for as long as I can know :/
Live life as you enjoy it, pal!- :objection:
I guess not...
ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

Post by ThePaSch »

I don't think this is something that's likely to be implemented anytime soon. I agree it would be cool to have, and it's certainly not impossible, but there are indeed security concerns, and they could be wide-reaching. Allowing for this would likely require for a huge refactor of AAO's code and a rewrite of many modules, so unfortunately, it probably won't ever happen.
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

One thing you could do, without this needing to be implemented, is write out your own CSS changes, distribute the code to players if they want to use them, and have them enter the code in their own browsers. For example, in Firefox, you can right-click and hit Inspect to open the Inspector pane, and go to the Style Editor tab, then you can edit the CSS of any page in real-time. If you gave players the CSS to copy and paste into there, that would be one way to sort of get around this. The players would need to trust that your code isn't malicious, of course, but it would ultimately be on them if they chose to use it.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Mosy

Post by Mosy »

Yeah I guess it'll be too hard to implement, Mr. Pasch, also, I don't think anyone has the time for it and it wouldn't fit with the Ace Attorney theme.

Exactly "TimeAxis", at the moment its the only way, it's not official or trusted (it shouldnt be lol) but as you said, CSS or Inspect Element can do the job for us.
TimeAxis wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:39 am One thing you could do, without this needing to be implemented, is write out your own CSS changes, distribute the code to players if they want to use them, and have them enter the code in their own browsers. For example, in Firefox, you can right-click and hit Inspect to open the Inspector pane, and go to the Style Editor tab, then you can edit the CSS of any page in real-time. If you gave players the CSS to copy and paste into there, that would be one way to sort of get around this. The players would need to trust that your code isn't malicious, of course, but it would ultimately be on them if they chose to use it.
Live life as you enjoy it, pal!- :objection:
I guess not...
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

ThePaSch wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:22 am I don't think this is something that's likely to be implemented anytime soon. I agree it would be cool to have, and it's certainly not impossible, but there are indeed security concerns, and they could be wide-reaching. Allowing for this would likely require for a huge refactor of AAO's code and a rewrite of many modules, so unfortunately, it probably won't ever happen.
Basically this.

I'd also be on-board with giving the author a list of options for customization, but that's much less flexible. And even then, probably not a priority, though it'd be a neat feature to have.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson