Ace Attorney Anime

Discuss works of media, like films, television programmes and novels.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Re: Ace Attorney Anime

Post by Lind »

It's supposed to be covering the entire original trilogy. Given the state of the current anime industry, this most likely means split cours.
Sleuth
Spoken languages: English

Post by Sleuth »

i cant wait for phoenix to create his harem and then also fight vegeta
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

I believe it's said to be an adaptation of just the first two games. Ideally, I'd have it be one cour of the original game, one cour of the second game, and a second season later that brings us the third cour. What happens after that, who knows.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

gotMLK7 wrote:I believe it's said to be an adaptation of just the first two games. Ideally, I'd have it be one cour of the original game, one cour of the second game, and a second season later that brings us the third cour. What happens after that, who knows.
Godot appeared in the original concept art though.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

That's a lot to adapt, even if they just keep it down to the core cases and cut out the filler ones. I think. Iunno.

I mean they can probably just cut down 1-1 into like half an episode, then focus on 1-2 for a couple episodes, skip 1-3, and spend the rest of the episodes on 1-4, then start on JFA. I guess. Iunno.
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

Lind wrote:
gotMLK7 wrote:I believe it's said to be an adaptation of just the first two games. Ideally, I'd have it be one cour of the original game, one cour of the second game, and a second season later that brings us the third cour. What happens after that, who knows.
...I see nothing about Godot in any promotional art for the anime, though. It was announced with an image of Maya, Phoenix, and Miles, the official poster doen't have him on it, I don't see official anime art with him on it anywhere. I can't find what you're talking about anywhere. Heck, this magazine page is the first I've even seen of JFA characters, so I have no idea where you found a Godot.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

gotMLK7 wrote:
Lind wrote:
...I see nothing about Godot in any promotional art for the anime, though. It was announced with an image of Maya, Phoenix, and Miles, the official poster doen't have him on it, I don't see official anime art with him on it anywhere. I can't find what you're talking about anywhere. Heck, this magazine page is the first I've even seen of JFA characters, so I have no idea where you found a Godot.
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

That's official art for the Ace Attorney Trilogy on 3DS, not for the anime. This is the currently sole poster for the anime:

Lind
Trustworthy Spriter

Post by Lind »

...You can blame MAL for this. It was their featured image for the anime for months, and I've never previously seen them use anything but official key visuals.
Vera.Edgeworth
Spoken languages: Deutsch

Post by Vera.Edgeworth »

I am so curios about the Anime I hope they goes that good I would watch them with german sup and end german dub :D
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

doesn't sound particularly ace attorney-esque to me
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/246/1246885/

Interview with Director Ayumu Watanabe, Shu Takumi, and some of the voice cast. No translation yet and Google Translate isn't the most helpful source, but I posted it to Court Records to see if anyone there could translate it. What I can definitely get from this is new character model sheets of a young Phoenix, Miles, and Larry, and it sounds like Watanabe wanted to include more of the class trial in the anime. If anyone can translate or give a summary of this without having to rely on Google, it'd be greatly appreciated, as this seems potentially interesting.

gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

The anime has been licenses for streaming on Crunchyroll.

gotMLK7

Post by gotMLK7 »

So the first episode is now on Crunchyroll for premier members or those with free trials like me. Note that subs have Japanese names rather than English. Anyway, just finished watching it, and here's my basic thoughts.
Spoiler : Ace Attorney Anime - The First Turnabout :
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I LOVED IT SO MUCH.

I don't know how much my bias is covering up right now, probably a lot, but I don't care. That FELT like Ace Attorney. The characters were perfect, especially freaking Larry, and just captured the sense of the game so well. There's a lot of interesting directing choices and creative liberties and most I felt helped, like certain points being visualized on screen, Phoenix being literally blown back by Sahwit's accusations, and conveniences like them handling evidence with gloves and using TV screens. The animation wasn't as mediocre as I expected; not exactly amazing, but pretty easy to overlook most of its weaknesses. The OP is cheesy as heck and I love it for its over the top symbolism and literally transitioning scenes with Phoenix's hair, but the ED is actually really sweet and interesting and kinda beautiful, focusing on Maya and having some more intricate symbols involved. The music mixed new songs with tracks from the game, and while I'm not sure if I heard Pursuit, I'm pretty sure I heard Cross-Examination and Objection. And of course game graphics are implemented, such as text boxes introducing characters, testimony staredowns, and the OBJECTION! bubble. And like...man, Iunno. People will probably find it underwhelming or something but I really don't care. It recreated The First Turnabout well with some extra bits thrown in (I love the immediate easter egg of Phoenix's sweater hanging in his room) and just gave us the animated Ace Attorney I believe we deserve.

If you want disappointing factors (aside from Crunchyroll=no foreseeable dub), Frank Sahwit's toupee flew off but wasn't thrown at Phoenix, his testimonies were blown through quickly, Payne got barely any spotlight, and the CGI courtroom doesn't look very good in motion (it's fine static, but the camera pans weren't great), and the audience is ridiculously obviously CGI. But eh? None of that's more than an "Aw, dang" for me. So yeah. Freaking adored it regardless.
EDIT: NEW THING I LEARNED! Right click on Crunchyroll and you can choose an alternate sub track with English names! Choose "[English (US)] English (US) Alt Track" for localized names!