No Pressure

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

No Pressure

Post by Tiagofvarela »

No Pressure
'Cause I heard stress is bad for the hair.

Being an Ace Attorney is a very high pressure job. Everyone and their mother seems to hate you, sometimes even your client, the court never believes you and it's like every single scary guy in the law profession is a prosecutor. In other words, being an Ace Attorney usually means you've got the entire world against you.
Okay, I suppose that makes sense from a gameplay perspective. I mean, we want some challenging trials, and we want to be emotionally invested with stakes that go through the roof. It wouldn't be all that fun if the judge and prosecution were at your beck and call, now would it?

...Would it? Let's see about that.

For this competition I want you to show me a trial where the playable character has the advantage the majority of the time. How so?
  • Maybe the defence has a secret piece of evidence that is sure to turn everything around and rests assured in the knowledge the trial will end as soon as he presents it.
  • Maybe we play as a corrupt attorney that has everyone in their pocket and watch as the prosecution futilely struggles.
  • Maybe the case against us is so flimsy that the real problem is figuring out the truth, not defending our client.
  • Maybe we could play as the powerful prosecutor or as the almighty judge.
  • Maybe the prosecution is so incapable that we don't feel threatened in the least.
  • Maybe you have a hypercompetent co-council that cleans after your every mistake and makes sure we're always a step ahead.
  • Maybe you play as a really smart attorney who has a bunch of traps laid out right from the start and watches everything go according to plan.
  • Maybe the prosecution actually let you have the advantage for the majority of the trial only to swoop you off your feet right at the end.
You don't need to actually have the advantage. You just need to make a trial that conveys that feeling. You could totally make a domineering Attorney who technically has the trial under control even though he is technically losing. The main point is making a low-stress, low-pressure trial given that you're the one with the advantage and power this time. You could totally misinterpret the theme and make a playable character that just doesn't give a bother. I'm sure you can all make some atypically interesting trials! No pressure!
Feel free to use any of the ideas I mentioned. I thought really hard about them, you know? ...Just between you and me, if you use them I'll even give +0.3 to your final score out of 100. :wink:

Judging

Story Concept - Do you have an interesting, engaging, innovative and logical story? Are the characters interesting?
Story Execution - Is the story well-paced? Is the dialogue and narration well-written and natural-sounding?
Graphics & Music - Are the graphics and music well-done? Do they fit the characters, situations and atmosphere?
Technical Perfection - Has your trial been tested carefully, with few bugs, typos or grammar mistakes?
Gameplay - Is the gameplay fair, interesting and enjoyable?
Theme Relevance - How well does it convey the feeling of being a step ahead? Did you interpret the theme in some other interesting way?

There'll be an awards ceremony at the end where I'll state my final thoughts, mention the strengths and the weaknesses of each trial and rank them all. Subjectivity rules!

Rules
  • The entry must have been created between January 20th 2017, and April 24th 2017.
    The entry must convey a feeling of having the advantage for the majority of the entry.
    The entry may be a trial, investigation, comedy or neither.
    The entry may be unrelated to AA. Mysteries, gameplay and puzzles are not required, so long as you are still able to comply with the other rules.
    The entry may spoil any AA game.
    The entry must be submitted to Tiagofvarela by the deadline.
    The entry must be sent along with a walkthrough that includes every potentially difficult puzzle, provided such puzzles exist.
    The entry must not be showcased and/or set to public until the winner has been announced.
    The entry may be incomplete, although complete entries might be preferred in certain categories.
Deadline

All entries must be declared and submitted to Tiagofvarela by April 24th, 2017 at 23:59 GMT+0.

Entrants

RedeyesofDN
Evo and BadPlayer
TheDoctor
Gizmological
Man89
FenrirDarkWolf
ShadowGengarYT
GuardianDreamer
Gamer2002
Last edited by Tiagofvarela on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 10 times in total.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: No Pressure

Post by kwando1313 »

Seems like a ~chill theme~

Good luck to all participants!

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

I request a one month extension. No pressure, right?
Tiagofvarela

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Blackrune wrote:Image

I request a one month extension. No pressure, right?
I'm sure you can all manage within the given constraints. I'm counting on you!
No pressure. :wink:
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Well, this is a different theme.

I'm looking forward to the entries for this one!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
RedeyesofDN
Spoken languages: English

Post by RedeyesofDN »

I haven't felt that giddy at a prompt in a long time.

You know what, freak it, count me in.
Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Evo »

In other words, BP and I are entering.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Naitou-sama trial <3333333333333

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

That collab. Looks like there's already some tough competition for anyone who wants to join.

Still, no pressure~.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Of course, no pressure~

TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

There was an idea I had been kicking around for the tutorial case of my Shattered Glass sequel series (The Shattered Glass version of JFA, if you will), and it fits the prompt perfectly. Since independent sequels are allowed, and my trial idea was pretty short as it is, count me in.
Image Image Image
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

>inb4 Payne is comp's main prosecutor
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

I think I have an idea for this, so I may as well enter.
Tiagofvarela

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Gamer2002 wrote:>inb4 Payne is comp's main prosecutor
>inb4 he was faking it all and canon is forever altered
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
RedeyesofDN

Post by RedeyesofDN »

I mean Trucy doesn't seem to be under any pressure here. Nope none at all~ :calisto:
Spoiler : :