The Best Worst Comp Ever

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

clcman
Spoken languages: English

The Best Worst Comp Ever

Post by clcman »

The Best WOrst Caomp Ever

Failure is the surest predictor for success.

We've all (hopefully) played good cases before. It's why we're here, after all. And many of us have probably encountered a bad fancase or two. Maybe the author was lazy and uninspired and just copied a canon case with different names. Maybe they were overly enthusiastic and ambitious noobies just getting used to the editor and didn't quite understand how things worked. Maybe their English grammar/spelling is poor, maybe they lack a good instinct for characterization or maybe they just didn't playtest it. At all. Regardless, it's not that difficult to think of what a bad AAO case might look like, even if you've never had to play one.

But sometimes, very rarely, a bad case comes along that is SO bad, so amazingly bad, that it goes off the edge of the scale, comes around from the other side and becomes GLORIOUS. Your horror at its terribleness becomes wonder at its utterly bizarre insanity. What should be boring melodrama becomes comedy gold. What should be unreadable, unproofread garbage becomes impossible to look away from. What should be utterly horrendous dialogue becomes your new favorite quotation.

What I'm saying is that the right kind of bad case can be, not just good, but FANTASTIC.

Task

Your task is: Make a case that is so bad it's good.

Don't just make the worst case ever. That's easy - anyone can string together 10 nonsensical and unconnected frames and call it a day. No, your task is to make the BEST worst case ever. Make such an amazingly terrible train wreck of a case that we can't NOT talk about it. Make the AAO equivalent of The Room (disclaimer: video contains a bit of profanity), My Immortal, Friday or Half Life: Full Life Consequences.

But clcman, you may ask, how can we differentiate good-bad from bad-bad? Well, that is a difficult and somewhat subjective question. Generally fun-bad things are either so terrible that they become hilarious or so bizarre that they can't be looked away from. Often both. Occasionally they just make us feel superior because at least we aren't as bad/lazy as those guys, but just as often we feel a sense of empathy with creators either legitimately trying to make something worthwhile, or struggling with low budgets and other external circumstances and just trying to make the best of it. If you want to get into more details about the psychology of such thing, try this video. But who has time for that?

Various things you could do: Fill your case with every single "first case of a series rookie lawyer tutorial case" cliché ever except very poorly executed; fill the case with unnecessary side plots that have nothing to do with anything and are forgotten about, never to be resolved (like Lotta Hart's search for her stolen car, Trucy trying to get into Magician College and Edgeworth's battle with cravat-derived throat cancer in addition to the actual murder mystery plot); have characters act completely unrealistically - remaining stone-faced while their lives are in danger (and immediately forgetting about it afterwards) but overreacting to minor provocations; have utterly nonsensical villain motives; use leaps of logic, weird legal rules and bizarre puzzles that make even less sense than in canon cases; have a good ol' Mary Sue; try to have a soap opera-style plot or after school special "dealing" with a serious issue but badly missing the mark; simply mangle character and characterization into oblivion; make the entire case weird author wish fulfillment and/or terribly written shipping; use the phrase "strangled with a screwdriver" unironically. (I've seen that happen in an actual fancase that shall remain nameless here). Failing all of that, take the following phrase I stole from OrderoftheNick's judging criteria: "A good story needs to be interesting and engaging, with characters who act and interact in entertaining and/or exciting ways. If there is a mystery, it should be intriguing and - if the case is finished - it should have a logical solution" and do THE EXACT OPPOSITE!!

I know it may feel a little risky to make an intentionally bad case ("what if it's not fun-bad, but just bad-bad?") but don't worry. We'll cut you a lot of slack on that. We agreed to this, after all. We have no right to complain about whatever you throw at us. Plus, incompleteness, rushed sections and typos are just a part of the experience, and were totally in your master plan and are not real mistakes. You have no excuse not to give it a shot! What's the worst that could happen? You fail at being terrible?

This should be obvious, but I'll say it just to be safe: This is NOT an excuse to break the site's case rules. A nudity, profanity or adult content-filled case may be bad or shocking, but it's not HILARIOUSLY bad. It's just tasteless and inappropriate. You all can do much better than that. Now, a case filled to the brim with "crud"s and "goshdangits!" on the other hand...

To put it another way, the task is to make a good case that uses elements associated with bad cases in an entertaining way.

Judging
All entries will be judged in four categories. The traditional Story/Presentation/Gameplay/Theme Relevance, isn't exactly going to fly here, though. Given that being theme relevant quite possibly means sabotaging your own story, presentation or gameplay, we will instead use the following categories:
Concept - Many of the best terrible media works start with a legitimately cool or at least unique idea whose poor execution mangles into garbage. Others were never going to end well to start with. This category rates your case's core idea - is it unique, crazy and ridiculous? Would any reasonable person respond to hearing it by saying "I think doing this is a bad idea"?
Imagination - The greatest power of a so-bad-its-good is its eternal ability to surprise you with new and original forms of terribleness and poor decision making. Are the case's flaws predictable? Or is it full of moments that make us go "I didn't even know you COULD mess that up!?"
Presentation - How well/poorly the graphics, music and puzzles fit the case or the theme (which may mean they don't fit well at all). Intentionally bad won't count off, but frustratingly or irritatingly bad will. (Don't worry too much about it - just try to keep the presentation features from keeping us from enjoying the rest of the case's terribleness.)
Theme Relevance - The big one here. Basically answer these two questions: Is this a bad case? And is it bad in an enjoyable way?

Rules
  • The entry must have been created between December 2, 2017 and March 4, 2018.
  • The entry must not be showcased until after the winner has been announced.
  • The entry may be any type, as long as it follows the other rules. Obviously comedy has some benefits here, but a terrible drama taking itself way too seriously is an easy way to meet the thematic criteria.
  • The entry must not contain any spoilers for Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2. It may spoil any other AA game, including Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, as well as Ghost Trick. If it contains serious spoilers for other (non-AA) games, this must be made clear when submitted.
  • The entry must be submitted to clcman and Mr. Insane by the deadline, along with a walkthrough (if applicable).
  • The entry may be incomplete. Arguably this is the best comp to submit an incomplete to, though more case content is always better. Almost always.
Deadline
Entries must be submitted to clcman AND Mr. Insane via PM before March 4, 2018 23:59 UTC -5, though we won't be incredibly picky about it. That's the end of the day on a Sunday, so everyone gets a weekend to wrap up their entries.

Entrants
Mary Sue is already here, everyone! Isn't she perfect and flawless but still totally relatable and not obnoxious at all?
AceJakkidFan
Sleuth
icannothinkofaname
DarthWiader

Entries Received
Professor Layton and the Heavenly Scheme (Feat. Phoenix Wright) by AceJakkidFan
Turnabout in Payne and Suffering by DarthWiader
Turnabout Turnabout by Spongesonic IN COURT and Trybien
we were laughing at oranges by enigma
Last edited by clcman on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Re: The Best Worst Comp Ever

Post by enigma »

>Theme Relevance - The big one here. Basically answer these two questions: Is this a bad case? And is it bad in an enjoyable way?

so basically make a case that is only good for this comp and cant gain any traction once its over? not sure most people would be happy devoting time to making a cheap meme

suggestion, change theme relevance to focus more on does this fit the "bad case" aesthetic or something, because you're basically shutting off people from making cases that are good but employ stylistic suck to make a point or stuff like that
Ana_

Post by Ana_ »

Wow I thought I finally escaped from Jakkidfic Hell.
Okay entering this is mandatory for me, lets go, blame everything on spyro.
Image Image Image Image
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

clcman

Post by clcman »

enigma wrote:>Theme Relevance - The big one here. Basically answer these two questions: Is this a bad case? And is it bad in an enjoyable way?

so basically make a case that is only good for this comp and cant gain any traction once its over? not sure most people would be happy devoting time to making a cheap meme

suggestion, change theme relevance to focus more on does this fit the "bad case" aesthetic or something, because you're basically shutting off people from making cases that are good but employ stylistic suck to make a point or stuff like that
Hmm... I'd actually be fine with the kind of case that you describe. "Good" and "bad" are kind of confusion terms in this situation. The main goal of the comp is cases that are enjoyable even though they wouldn't fit a standard understanding of "good."

...Would it maybe help if I changed the above rule to: "Basically answer these two questions: Is this a "bad" case?"

@AceJakkidFan: Welcome aboard!
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

clcman wrote:...Would it maybe help if I changed the above rule to: "Basically answer these two questions: Is this a "bad" case?"
that's one question
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

AceAttorneyMaster111 wrote:
clcman wrote:...Would it maybe help if I changed the above rule to: "Basically answer these two questions: Is this a "bad" case?"
that's one question
Those are clearly "bad" two questions.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I am horrified to discover that I actually have an idea for this competition.

Good luck to the entrants. I may yet become one.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

hi im in
clcman

Post by clcman »

Sleuth wrote:hi im in
Nice to meet you, Ms. im in.
Last edited by clcman on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the idea I had is not the case I should be focusing on.

Again, good luck to the entrants. This is not my usual style, but I'd be open for beta-testing.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

clcman wrote:
Sleuth wrote:hi im in
Nice to meet you, Mr. im in.
Dad, is that you?
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Just to be clear, the goal is to be bad in an entertaining way, a way that actually takes effort, right? This isn't a laziness competition.

Perhaps for more clarity: Would Phantasmagoria of Betrayal have fit this competition's theme?
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
clcman

Post by clcman »

Yes. We want fun bad, not pure bad. And Phantasmagoria would fit fine. We're actually not terribly picky; A case isn't going to get points off because part of it isn't terrible. In fact, a well-polished visual/audio presentation might serve to better highlight the bizarre characters, inane plot threads and cringe-worthy dialogue. The key thing here is to make cases that are entertaining but otherwise would not likely be made because of conventional standards.

Put another way, the task is to make a good case that uses elements associated with bad cases in an entertaining way. Is that a better way of phrasing it?

icannothinkofaname

Post by icannothinkofaname »

I never really do much here, but I'm a huge sucker for so-bad-it's-good writing. I guess I'll join in lol.