They Shall Not Kill

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Blizdi
Spoken languages: English

Re: They Shall Not Kill

Post by Blizdi »

5 hours 22 minutes and 20 seconda to go
Ana_

Post by Ana_ »

Ah yes, the deadline is nearly upon us. I've already gotten one entry, so please get them sent to me soon. I'll probably only actually close the thing officially at like midday tomorrow, so you all have plenty of time to submit your entries.
Image Image Image Image
Mr. Insane
Spoken languages: English, Dutch

Post by Mr. Insane »

I'm dropping out. There's no way I can make a good case, let alone good enough to win, before the deadline. I'd have to force myself to stay up until 1 AM, and I doubt that would contribute to the quality of the case. In a few weeks, I'll start the new comp, way ahead of time, so I don't have to force myself to stay up late, just to finish. I'm sorry for joining, since I could've predicted this would happen. Wishing all of you the best of luck!
Well, I don't consider myself crazy...

I prefer insane...
But that's Mr. Insane for you.
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Post by Southern Corn »

Good luck to clcman and RedeyesofDN! If they’ve submitted their entries, then all the better! Excited to see them once this is over.
RedeyesofDN

Post by RedeyesofDN »

If time hadn't been such a luxury for me I liked my shots here.
I have some solid frames for the time I had; still, I have nothing worth submitting - incomplete or not.
Pfffft, life can really make intentions and effort a fickle business.

I will respectfully withdraw.

Best wishes to the remaining contenders. Happy Judging!
You'll be seeing this face around at the next Comp!!
Ana_

Post by Ana_ »

I have now heard from everyone and will officially close submissions now. Let us begin the grand trials of judgement for:

TbwaT by Southern Corn and cesar26100
The Turnabouts Grimm by clcman

Reviews will come shortly.
Last edited by Ana_ on Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

Hey at least we have more than one entry. Good luck to cluckman and south cornbread
Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

Hoooooh boy. Us versus you, huh? Well, good luck to ya, (clc)man. This is down to the wire. May the best player win!
Ana_

Post by Ana_ »

Now for the first review, for TbwaT
Spoiler : TwabT :
Premise: Tawbt tells the story of a wealthy man who is accused of committing a most heinous crime within his own home, and Phoenix Wright is the only man worthy of solving it.

Story: As far as logic goes, I'm not too clear on this first contradiction or how it even works, but the second contradiction is a repeat of it that makes more sense, so the logic flow at least recovers after that.
While the case is incomplete, the trial flow works well enough to keep me interested, so I'm sure it will be worth playing in full once it's done. The characters are fine.

Presentation: The art and music is all fine - nothing special, but there doesn't need to be, everything works. The dialogue itself could use some brushups - specifically talking about line breaks, as well as other small details, ie some missing commas, there aren't any spaces in between ellipses, small stuff like that.

Gameplay: Repeating the issue with testimony 1 mentioned under Story. For the most part, it's fine aside from a few other suggestions I've sent them with regards to the design behind certain CEs.

Theme Relevance: Nobody dies so it passes, but it doesn't feel like the fact that the victim survived matters much. Being real, I forgot the victim was even alive at points; phrases like "her last words" and such really make it seem like she's dead. Thaaat said the way the crime actually happened is enough to make up for that.

wbaTt is a short, incomplete entry with only 5 CEs complete so far, but what's there is a decently flowing trial with... some strange logic/puzzle design, but with my bigger issues pointed out, I'm sure the final product will be well worth a play.
Now I move onto The Turnabouts Grimm by clcman... just as soon as I get added as a playtester. clcmaannn...........!
Image Image Image Image
clcman

Post by clcman »

So, apparently I not only have the power to make my own judged comps take forever to get through judging, but I can also do it to other people's comp judging as well! Truly, my powers of lateness have no limits!!!!

...But seriously, it should be fixed now.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Ana_

Post by Ana_ »

Now for the other case of the comp, The Turnabouts Grimm:
Spoiler : :
Premise: After a long, boring day in court, Phoenix treats Apollo to a story from just a couple of years ago. The day his hobo days temporarily came to an end with the arrival of a long lost girl.

Story: Well, there's not much to say, as there's only really one scene of investigation. Though, I will say that the opening scene does well in raising questions for the rest of the case. Interesting stuff. It ends on quite the cliffhanger too... a cliffhanger just for me, very honored.

Presentation: Similar to SCesar's entry, line breaks could be added. There's one Apollo sprite that looks a bit too short, too. Otherwise, aside from a few bugs, it holds up fine.

Gameplay: Talk, present, and examine, p much.

Theme Relevance: While it at first seems like somebody died, they did not. This looks like it's going to end up being what I'm looking for, if it ever gets past the first investigation scene.

Overall, this seems very interesting, but very little of it is complete. The little that's there is effective, though, because I need these answers.
Anyway with those out of the way time for the award ceremony.
Image Image Image Image
Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

Spoiler : Results :
WHAT.

I swear, clicking that awards ceremony link, I was seriously expecting clcman to win by a mile. Imagine my surprise when it turns out we actually won! What the heck, though. I really wasn't expecting this to happen, but it's a very pleasant surprise nevertheless. Good job to clcman for giving it your all, and thank you to AceJakkidFan for hosting this wonderful compliment! Sad that there weren't more entries, but ah well.

Anyway, me and Cesar will try to finish up TbwaT as soon as possible, most likely by the end of the year. But we've made ample progress on it already, I can tell you that much. In the meantime, we'll also try and co-host that comp in the future. Give us a bit of time and we'll get it out. Maaaybe in the coming weeks but no pressure there, right?
clcman

Post by clcman »

Wow. That was truly an awards ceremony to put my own to shame.
Congrats to Southern Corn and Cesar! And thank you, SC, for your apparent belief in my omnipotent trial-making expertise. I'm not that great, I assure you. You see, I made the foolish mistake of signing myself up for a one-month run, then making a case with four separate mysteries within it, then not doing anything for three weeks, then not really doing anything for most of that last week, and then rapidly stitching together in a day or so enough stuff to get the (rather complicated) case concept out there so there would be at least two entries and Jakkid would be able to appreciate the theme relevance. I'm not offering excuses, though, since hard work and competency are at least as important to victory than good ideas, talent and experience, and I'm not saying that your case didn't have any of that going for it, SC, because I know almost literally nothing about it and really I'm just trying to make the sentences in this block extremely long for some unfathomable reason, but the point is I am almost certain that your case as it currently is is better than mine (there are puzzles and everything, it seems!) so I believe, just on the current state of my entry, that you deserved the win. Congrats.

As for AJF, I am glad my case concept has intrigued you, since it's literally the only thing the case has going for it at the moment. I thought it was one of my better concepts, personally. Fear not, though, for The Turnabouts Grimm has been added to the list of "CLC comp entries to be finished eventually" along with APET, AWoT, TTWTDITM, HTB!, The BASEic Turnabout, TBoT and The Ransomed Turnabout.

...Maybe I should stop entering these things and start finishing some cases instead. Nah.
On an unrelated note, RedEyesofDN has told me that her entry is actually not that far from completion - she just made the mistake of doing the last part first, so it wouldn't have made any sense even though it was nearly done. So hopefully we can see that soon as well!
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Congratulations to the winner(s)!

Well, it's good to see the award ceremonies remain. Or at least attempt to.
Expect to see me entering the next competition.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
cesar26100
Spoken languages: English-Ingles,Español-Spanish

Post by cesar26100 »

Hey can award ceremonies be that long that's gonna take me a couple free days to play through.
I can't believe we somehow did it. Seriously I'm still kind of shaking.

Anyway yeah good luck getting your cases done clcman (and RedeyesofDN apparently despite not officially entering the comp), I'm looking forward to playing them, and thanks to AceJakkidFan for hosting this comp, I really liked this theme and want to see what other ways people interpreted it. SC and I will try our hardest to complete our case soon, and come up with a good theme for the next comp, I definitely want to get to co-host that lol.
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.