Can't playtest case "URL request too large"

Post about any bugs or other issues that you find on AAO.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

punnypunypony
Spoken languages: English

Can't playtest case "URL request too large"

Post by punnypunypony »

Using Chrome, when I go to playtest a case that has a couple dozen frames, Chrome returns the error of URL request too large.

Seems like an obvious bug to overlook, Chrome users not being able to playtest their own case due to whoever thought it was a good idea to save changes to the URL instead of a script... my God.
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Re: Can't playtest case "URL request too large"

Post by Tiagofvarela »

punnypunypony wrote:Using Chrome, when I go to playtest a case that has a couple dozen frames, Chrome returns the error of URL request too large.

Seems like an obvious bug to overlook, Chrome users not being able to playtest their own case due to whoever thought it was a good idea to save changes to the URL instead of a script... my God.
Save the trial before testing. Any unsaved changes are temporarily stored in the URL.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Post by Southern Corn »

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but I’m pretty sure the same thing happens on other browsers too. Just save it and then it’ll work fine, yeah.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

All trials are located in a file on Unas's server. When you playtest the case, it loads that file script and then applies whatever modifications are necessary to the file script via the URL. That's how the save system works, so we deal with simple changes such as the player health, hidden frames, and variable definitions. It is not designed for entire cases. As the other users have said, it sounds like you need to save your case in the first place.

On that note, please refrain from antagonizing the developers. I deal with buggy software on a regular basis, so I understand how annoying it is, but such antagonism accomplishes nothing but getting developers and users annoyed at you.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
punnypunypony
Spoken languages: English

Post by punnypunypony »

Right, but when I choose to save it it says the trial will be saved to a new format and can't be edited anymore. Does that mean I have to make the entire case before saving it? This software is so confusing...
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Short Answer:
That error message is meaningless to you. Go ahead and save.

Long Answer:
A few years ago, we were using version 5 of the engine. The engine was since rewritten as version 6. Version 5 of the engine is still around, because there are still a few bugs in v6 that affect some v5 cases. (I think there are two cases left that v6 has trouble with.) All that error message means is that when you save a case in version 6, you can't use it in version 5... But you were never going to use version 5 anyways. I should prevent that error message from appearing when you make a new trial...
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson