Bug Report: Can't Load v6 Game Saves when Playtesting

If you wish to contribute to the Ace Attorney Online Game Creation Engine open source project, or just know more about the way it is developed, this is the place.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

smkramer313
Spoken languages: English

Bug Report: Can't Load v6 Game Saves when Playtesting

Post by smkramer313 »

Nice work on the major update, you guys! Glad to see more work is going into making AAO even more advanced!

I believe I have discovered a bug that relates with this same update. I was working on a trial and was able to load from Game Saves just fine prior to the update, but once the update kicked in and I pulled from the latest server-side changes, I found some problems with the Game Saves on my end.

In particular, I am able to save trial data just fine, and I am also able to load the save data. However, this save data opens in a completely different session window, and pressing the start button does not update the screen with my latest settings. The evidence and profiles from my save still seem to be maintained, though, so I believe the save data is correctly being stored. I'm just unable to fully access it from the game screens on the left.

Also, the context of the saving is now different between the two versions. Before the update, loading from the saves could be done while I was in the gameplay session, and the trial updated accordingly with this without refreshing the play session. However, loading from the saves under the current update now refreshes the play session in its entirety.

I also confirmed this only happens with v6 gameplay sessions (playtesting and trials). I know this because I have a v5 trial that I made, and that loads gameplay saves correctly.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: Bug Report: Can't Load v6 Game Saves when Playtesting

Post by Unas »

Can you give links to these specific trials ?
To be honest, there is no reason for it to differ between V5 and V6 trials, because the conversion layer applies long before the player is started. (The V5 trial is dynamically converted to V6 before the player loads it).
I suspect that there is something else in your V6 trial causing the bug, and I'd need to test it out :-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I've confirmed that something major is amiss. See the following minimal working example and follow the instructions. Trying to load a save will result in an error on line 624 of the character display engine, as self.setCharacter is missing. I'll investigate myself. Given this bug disables saving with characters, another quick update may be necessary once this is fixed.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
smkramer313

Re: Bug Report: Can't Load v5 and v6 Saves with Characters

Post by smkramer313 »

Unas wrote:Can you give links to these specific trials ?
To be honest, there is no reason for it to differ between V5 and V6 trials, because the conversion layer applies long before the player is started. (The V5 trial is dynamically converted to V6 before the player loads it).
I suspect that there is something else in your V6 trial causing the bug, and I'd need to test it out :-)
Ah, I see. I overlooked the full nature behind the bug, then, so that's my bad. After some further testing, I believe to have narrowed it down a little better. It appears to happen for all my trials that have characters present on them, v5 and v6 included (I'll update the topic thread to indicate this, but I didn't test my v5 character saves). I'm getting it to happen when trying to load game saves which have characters present in the scene.

Here's my game save from the V5 trial, The Technical Turnabout, that is currently released. Besides some cases where the colored text all becomes white, the loading for V5 without characters still seems to behave as intended.

And here is my v6 trial. I've isolated the loading issues with saves down to where I have a character displaying on the screen (in this case, the next frame will have Frank Sahwit, and produces the buggy loading of its respective game save). Here is the typewriter frame which behaves like in v5, and here is the issue I get when trying to load up the next frame with good-old Franky boy.

I can also produce a similar issue with Dennis D'Featt in my released v5 case.

The case I used for my sanity check is A Tricky Turnabout Prologue (part of the most recently released v6 case right now; I just pulled a random v6 one because I thought it might also be related). The moment Wallbreak the Fourth appears, I saved my game and attempted to reload it, and found that this game save faced similar issues.

I also tested the most recently released featured case, Turnabout Trickery, and found it also had problems loading Kristoph Gavin. And also, like every other case, Turnabout Trickery can load frames where no character sprites are present on the frame itself.

I also noticed that there is currently a discussion going on in the release thread about 2-second frame delays with characters present on them. I'm just speculating here, but I'm wondering if something with the appearance and disappearance display changes are not playing nice with the game's current save editor.

Code: Select all

{
      "id": 19,
      "speaker_name": "",
      "speaker_use_name": false,
      "speaker_id": 2,
      "speaker_voice": -4,
      "sound": 2,
      "music": 0,
      "place": 1,
      "place_position": -1,
      "place_transition": 0,
      "characters": [
        {
          "profile_id": 2,
          "sprite_id": 2,
          "sync_mode": 3,
          "startup_mode": 0,
          "position": 0,
          "mirror_effect": false,
          "visual_effect_appears": 1,
          "visual_effect_appears_mode": 0,
          "visual_effect_disappears": 1,
          "visual_effect_disappears_mode": 0
        }
      ],
      "characters_erase_previous": true,
      "popups": [

],
      "action_name": "",
      "action_parameters": [

],
      "text_colour": "white",
      "text_content": "W-What in the-?![#p60]\nW-What's going on here?![#p60]\nWhen did I get here...?",
      "text_speed": "0.67",
      "hidden": false,
      "wait_time": 0,
      "merged_to_next": false
    },
I'm also seeing here within the direct HTML parsed into JSON for my v6 trial that visual_effect_appears and visual_effect_disappears are both set to 1 for the same frame when a character is present on the scene.
Last edited by smkramer313 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

smkramer313 wrote:I've isolated the loading issues with saves down to where I have a character displaying on the screen
Which is consistent with the problem being in the character display engine, per my previous post.

Thanks for the information! I'm going to figure out the bug with the saves before trying to figure out the visual effect issue.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
smkramer313

Post by smkramer313 »

Enthalpy wrote:
smkramer313 wrote:I've isolated the loading issues with saves down to where I have a character displaying on the screen
Which is consistent the problem being in the character display engine, per my previous post.

Thanks for the information! I'm going to figure out the bug with the saves before trying to figure out the visual effect issue.
Sure thing! Happy to be of some help!
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Fix written. I'll need to talk with Unas about when we get this uploaded.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

All issues have been fixed! I'm going to lock this topic, but make a new one if you still have an issue.