Shelter In Place

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Awsome2464
Spoken languages: English

Re: Shelter In Place

Post by Awsome2464 »

Adding the final touches to my entry now. One or two more tests should be needed before I send my entry in. It's definitely shorter than I would've liked, but I've definitely had a lot of fun with it!
Image Image
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

Entry sent in!
Image Image
clcman

Post by clcman »

I can confirm that we have received entries from DJJ6800 ("The Enemy of my Enemy is my Turnabout"), AbsurdAttorney ("That's the Way the Turnabout Crumbles") and Awesome2464 ("The Experimental Turnabout").

We've still got about 24 hours if anyone else has anything!
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

I'll sent mine by the end of the deadline, I still got things to do.
PatBrownGame

Post by PatBrownGame »

Good Luck Guys!
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Submitted maybe I think.
My entry almost has content!
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
clcman

Post by clcman »

I have, indeed, received an entry from Tiagofvarela, "A Worldly Turnabout".
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

Just submitted my case! I'm very excited.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Alright. Unless something unexpected pops up, we seem to have FIVE entries:

The Enemy of my Enemy is my Turnabout by DJJ6800!
That's the Way the Turnabout Crumbles by AbsurdAttorney!
The Experimental Turnabout by Awesome2464!
A Worldly Turnabout by Tiagofvarela!
Turnabout of the Final Day by Super legenda!

I'll run through these and then spend three weeks making an overly complex awards ceremony get back to you all.

Also, am I correct in believing that two of these (Awesome and Absurd's) are first-time cases? If so, congratulations! If not, congratulations anyways! It takes something to make a creative work and share it, even if it is just with two people.

Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

It's my first 'finished' case, though I have been toying with the creator for a few months now, so I've definitely gotten the hang of its basics prior to the contest.
Image Image
AbsurdAttorney

Post by AbsurdAttorney »

Same here, except I've messed around with the editor for years. I've made a few full size trials that I've shared with family, with our names and inside jokes included, but this will be the first time I've created something with the editor that was ended up being shared with other people.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm looking forward to sharing more stuff and finishing what I put into this contest
clcman

Post by clcman »

First review! (No real spoilers, I don't think. Just the case's concept.)
Spoiler : The Enemy of my Enemy is my Turnabout by DJJ6800 :
Not helping!
I wasn't trying to help.
- Phoenix Wright and Kristoph Gavin
Overview: Phoenix Wright wakes up in a strange bed with an unwelcome neighbor. Followed by a bunch of other unwelcome neighbors. Can they work together to survive and escape? Or will they just beat each other to death with the nearest available chairs?

Story: Phoenix and a bunch of his enemies (also Athena) are trapped in a hotel of doom. Who could be responsible for such a dastardly act? …Exactly who you would think it would be, if you knew anything about the tastes of 2020 AAO members. Which was a little disappointing (I was digging the mystery tone up until this was revealed), but fans of the obvious but unnamed series in question will probably get a kick out of it.

One thing I did really like was the character choices and their characterization. It’s not just Phoenix and 7 people who hate him. It’s Phoenix and 7 people who hate him who also hate each other, and that makes them really fun to watch. My favorite moments in this case were just the villains riffing on each other.

Presentation: Presentation is fine. The basic canon sprites (and one set of adequate import sprites for a non-AA character). Backgrounds look good. They don’t exactly look like they were designed to go together as one building, but they don’t not look like they go together, if that makes any sense. Music was fine, if like three songs. I did like the basic “mystery/suspense” theme a lot. Overall, presentation was decent but not mind-blowing. Which is not a bad place to be at all!

Gameplay: The case pretends to have gameplay, introducing a “Free Time Events” system from the unnamed series in question at literally the last second. So last second, in fact, that you can’t actually use it, as the game will end if you try. Basically, you can move around and then talk to up to two of the seven available characters, after which the plot will continue. Given that most of the fun in this case is interactions between Phoenix and people who don’t like him, that promises to at least be entertaining.

Theme Relevance: Phoenix is, indeed, trapped in a location away from regular civilization with no way out, which fits the theme. But he’s trapped there with seven other people (including two clear allies), a decent food supply and no particularly urgent time pressure, which undermined the sense of isolation a little. As it currently stands, I feel this case meets the theme but does not embrace it as hard as it might.

Conclusions: So far, a basic introduction to a fairly standard case of a particular subgenre that’s not my cup of tea. The character writing did have me smiling a lot, so I could enjoy this if it got some length to it.
Next up is That's the Way the Turnabout Crumbles by AbsurdAttorney.

AbsurdAttorney

Post by AbsurdAttorney »

Oof. I'm nervous.

Just continually keep in mind that its not finished!
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

Spoiler : :
Thanks for the feedback. For the record, I would've done more with the free time but I didn't have enough time to implement the code and test it out before the deadline.
AbsurdAttorney

Post by AbsurdAttorney »

DJJ68000

That sounds like a really interesting concept. Any chance it'll be released publically?