Looking Back (Awards Ceremony is out!)

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Awsome2464
Spoken languages: English

Re: Looking Back

Post by Awsome2464 »

risefromtheashes wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:55 am
Nicky Boy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:26 pm At first I was worried I missed the awards because I haven't logged in on a while.

Instead I'm crying in a corner because that comment about it being longer than Surprise! It's a Christmas Turnabout is very much true and there's only room for more
First of all, no crying, you did a good job!

Second of all, I have no idea how to say this without feeling like I'm rubbing it in, but we're at about 2075 frames for the ceremony, and we should be finished in a day or two!
Hey, still shorter than my entry lol
Image Image
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

Awsome2464 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:15 pm
risefromtheashes wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:55 am
Nicky Boy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:26 pm At first I was worried I missed the awards because I haven't logged in on a while.

Instead I'm crying in a corner because that comment about it being longer than Surprise! It's a Christmas Turnabout is very much true and there's only room for more
First of all, no crying, you did a good job!

Second of all, I have no idea how to say this without feeling like I'm rubbing it in, but we're at about 2075 frames for the ceremony, and we should be finished in a day or two!
Hey, still shorter than my entry lol
NOT FOR LONG!!!!! /j
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
clcman

Post by clcman »

It is, in fact, shorter than my entry, and will remain that way.

But that's what happens when you spend nine years working on a case.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

And by nine years, you mean nine years minus whatever time you worked on the numerous comps you hosted plus all your other unfinished cases. /hj
risefromtheashes

AWARDS CEREMONY!
(Moderation Notice: This awards ceremony is on the long side. Do not use this as an example for your own awards ceremonies.
A text summary is included below for those who do not want to play through a 2,200-frame ceremony.)

So... We've done it! Myself and SL have compiled the most excessively grandiose of awards ceremonies of all time. (Whether this is good or bad is up to you.) But before you play it, as noted above, we are required to give you a text summary in case you do not have the time or energy for such a long ceremony.

NOTE: There is one moment in the awards ceremony where we have a mandatory "evidence present". The game will give you the answer after three wrong tries, but in case you want to know in advance, here is the answer:
Spoiler : Answer :
The character with initials E.Y.
DISCLAIMER: This trial uses a set of sprites from DGS1, and a set of sprites from "9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors", but there are no direct spoilers for either of those games.

Watch the ceremony here!

TEXT SUMMARY
This awards ceremony contains 38 different awards, not counting 1st-3rd place, that have been divided up between the six entries we received. We chose three awards from each past awards ceremony we could find from the last four years, and each of us created eight new awards of our own. There is also one bonus award for clcman's unofficial entry.
Some awards have been given to multiple entries because we felt it was deserved by all of them, and unfair of us to choose just one.
Spoiler : 'Gem Thieving Turnabout' by FenrirDarkWolf and DreAmCatcher :
Image Golden Paintbrush - For excellence in custom art.
Image Best New Setting - For the best new setting.
Image Most Polished - For the most polished trial.
Image Dreamcatcher - Not awarded to this case in the ceremony, but because of DreAmCatcher's name, you get it anyway. Huzzah!
Image That Does Not Belong in Your Mouth - Need I say any vore?
Image How Sweet - For those wholesome moments that make us happy.
Image Better Late than Never - For starting late, but finishing on time.
Spoiler : 'Turnabout Heartache' by Awsome2464 :
Image Obsessive-Compulsive - For the best original character.
Image Golden Cactus - For... honestly, who the hell knows?
Image Superb Set-Up - For the best premise.
Image Best Joke - For the best joke.
Image My Trusty Sidekick - For the best sidekick character.
Image The Cake was a Truth - For not disappointing us.
Image What am I? - For that sweet, sweet stepladder reference.
Image Theme Perfecter - For the best application of past case comp themes.
Spoiler : 'Dream of a Better Turnabout' by ZekromFan57 :
Image Cluedo - For the best mystery.
Image Dzibilchaltunchunchucmilliation - Sometimes, there's just no other word.
Image Gameplay n' Gimmicks - For unique gameplay.
Image WTF? - For the most mind-blowing twist.
Image Best Puzzles] - For the best puzzles.
Image Dreamcatcher - For having to do with dreams, and feeling like one.
Image Making Evilthena Media Excusable (M.E.M.E.) - For getting dark enough that Evilthena seems like a cat burglar.
Image I Literally Can't Stop Playing - For exceeding all expectations of length and amount of gameplay.
Image Present, Dammit! - For the best "Present" dialogue.
Spoiler : 'Turnabout Reality' by DJJ6800 :
Image Wright-ing Expert - For the best-written case.
Image It's an Art - For the best trial flow.
Image Best Main Character - For the best protagonist.
Image Mr. X - For the best villain.
Image Boss Battle - For the best villain confrontation.
Image Theme Perfecter - For the best application of past case comp themes.
Spoiler : 'Surprise! It's a Christmas Turnabout!' by Nicky Boy and SuperAj3 :
Image Golden Paintbrush - For excellence in custom art.
Image Gameplay n' Gimmicks - For unique gameplay.
Image Best Main Character - For the best protagonist.
Image True Spirit - For being in the best spirits.
Image You Should Never be a Parent - For the best/worst character name.
Spoiler : 'A Turnabout by John Phoenix' by Ana_ :
Image True Logic - For having something make sense and not make sense at once.
Image Funniest Case - For the funniest case.
Image Puppetmaster - For leading us all on.
Image Completely Out of Place, but Whatever, It's Cool (COoPbWIC) - For something that's just so out of place, but kind of works.
Image Time is Golden - For the best use of one's time.
Image Theme Collector - For abiding by the rules of the most past case comps.
Spoiler : 'A Pre-Emptive Turnabout' by clcman and TheWhiteWolfos :
Image CLCMAN FINISHED A $#?!ING CASE??? - For shocking us all.
Spoiler : Other :
Image "I tried, I tried" - For at least expressing interest.
[Received by Hey, ikuzonos, AwesomeYears, AbsurdAttorney, Double KO & PatBrownGame.]
WINNER/RANKINGS
In order to fairly decide on a winner, Super legenda and I each gave each case a score between 1 and 5 points. We totaled these scores, and the highest total score won! No case got less than 6 points, which I think is very impressive, and a great score for making such complete cases in only three months!
Spoiler : Rankings :
Fourth Place Tie! - "A Turnabout by John Phoenix" by Ana_ (6 points)

Fourth Place Tie! - "Surprise! It's a Christmas Turnabout!" by Nicky Boy and SuperAj3 (6 points)

Fourth Place Tie! - "Gem Thieving Turnabout" by FenrirDarkWolf and DreAmCatcher (6 points)

Image Second Place Tie! - "Dream of a Better Turnabout" by ZekromFan57 (9 points)

Image Second Place Tie! - "Turnabout Reality" by DJJ6800 (9 points)

Image First Place! - "Turnabout Heartache" by Awsome2464 (10 points)
Congratulations to the winner! We look forward to the next case competition!
Please, I would love to hear your thoughts on the ceremony if you end up watching it! It was a TON of work that I, for one, am very proud of!
Last edited by risefromtheashes on Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

It was... really a pleasure to make this for you all, I seriously never expected the ceremony to end like this, and I'm really happy with the end result! I can't wait to see what new competitions will be cooked next!
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

I think you forgot to make it public. I can't access it.
Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

DJJ6800 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:25 am I think you forgot to make it public. I can't access it.
GAH! Fixed!
risefromtheashes

DJJ6800 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:25 am I think you forgot to make it public. I can't access it.
It has been done! Sorry, I forgot to tell SL to do that, LOL.
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:

----------
DJJ6800

Re: Looking Back (Awards Ceremony is out!)

Post by DJJ6800 »

Well...first off,
Spoiler : :
0/10, I wasn't part of this ceremony's award givers. (Even though one, as one of the entrants, I'd be biased towards myself, and two, I never actually did an awards ceremony.
And also...
Congrats to Awsome2464 for the win!
risefromtheashes

DJJ6800 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:35 am Well...first off,
0/10, I wasn't part of this ceremony's award givers. (Even though one, as one of the entrants, I'd be biased towards myself, and two, I never actually did an awards ceremony.

Yeah, we only included comp hosts that did ceremonies, sorry. (I think I may have left out one because the ceremony was like twenty frames or something.) But hey, you got awards!!!
And also...
Congrats to Awsome2464 for the win!
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:

----------
ZekromFan57
Spoken languages: English, Igpay Atinlay

Post by ZekromFan57 »

Well, I have to say... that was a BLAST!
Bad puns aside, this ceremony was great. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and the twists and turns were an unexpected surprise! It didn't feel like it was too long at all, and despite the HUUUUGE amount of guests, everyone contributed to the plot and it had a satisfying conclusion. The highlights in my opinion would be the villain team-up and the conspiracy, the way everything came together at the end was brilliant!
Also, congrats to all the other entrants, especially Awsome2464 (I need to see this stepladder joke for myself when the case is out).

And... yeah, that's pretty much it. Glad I could be a part of this comp!
risefromtheashes

ZekromFan57 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:04 pm
Well, I have to say... that was a BLAST!
Bad puns aside, this ceremony was great. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and the twists and turns were an unexpected surprise! It didn't feel like it was too long at all, and despite the HUUUUGE amount of guests, everyone contributed to the plot and it had a satisfying conclusion. The highlights in my opinion would be the villain team-up and the conspiracy, the way everything came together at the end was brilliant!
Also, congrats to all the other entrants, especially Awsome2464 (I need to see this stepladder joke for myself when the case is out).

God bless! I'm really glad you enjoyed it ahh, I worked really hard on it (and SL chipped in, too! He made some funny jokes). I'm extra happy that you enjoyed the conspiracy/villains and how everything came together, because I spent hours planning that LMAO. (There was also a LOT of improvising - we only had an outline of "Intro --> old awards --> intermission --> new awards --> chaos --> winner" and 95% of the dialogue was done on the spot in the editor.) I also really wanted everyone to have SOME part in the overarching plot so I'm relieved to hear that you thought that was the case.

And yeah, everyone did great! (That stepladder joke is beautiful in its simplicity.)

And... yeah, that's pretty much it. Glad I could be a part of this comp!

No, I'm glad YOU could be a part of it! I was wildly impressed by your case, and the amount of thought that went into it! You did really well!
The Mindcastle System
----------
OUR CASES:

----------
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

"3-way tie for 4th!"

Me: "Well, they did say my case needed some polish, something I fully acknowledge, so I'll probably end up in there."

""John Phoenix", "Christmas", and "Gem"!"

Me: "Oh."

"Now onto a 2-way tie for 2nd!!"

Me: "Heh. I'll probably end up here."

""Dream" and "Reality"!"

Me: Image

Thanks a bunch for the win, guys! This really was a fun competition to be a part of, and even though I didn't finish the case (which I totally plan to do, especially since I seem to have an obligation, if nothing else), it's such an honor to win! (Though I really hope the Ladder/Stepladder joke doesn't disappoint with how much it was built up lol)

Also, congrats to everyone else, as well! I've played "Turnabout Reality" while waiting for the ceremony (a great ceremony, might I add), and I definitely plan to play the others when I get a chance, as they do seem like very interesting cases!

So I guess this means I need to think up a new comp theme, then... I'm relatively new to AAO and going through the previous themes for this comp, it seems like everything under the sun has already been attempted. I guess I'll need to put my thinking cap on long and hard for this one.
Image Image
Super legenda

Post by Super legenda »

Awsome2464 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:21 pm
"3-way tie for 4th!"

Me: "Well, they did say my case needed some polish, something I fully acknowledge, so I'll probably end up in there."

""John Phoenix", "Christmas", and "Gem"!"

Me: "Oh."

"Now onto a 2-way tie for 2nd!!"

Me: "Heh. I'll probably end up here."

""Dream" and "Reality"!"

Me: Image

Thanks a bunch for the win, guys! This really was a fun competition to be a part of, and even though I didn't finish the case (which I totally plan to do, especially since I seem to have an obligation, if nothing else), it's such an honor to win! (Though I really hope the Ladder/Stepladder joke doesn't disappoint with how much it was built up lol)

Also, congrats to everyone else, as well! I've played "Turnabout Reality" while waiting for the ceremony (a great ceremony, might I add), and I definitely plan to play the others when I get a chance, as they do seem like very interesting cases!

So I guess this means I need to think up a new comp theme, then... I'm relatively new to AAO and going through the previous themes for this comp, it seems like everything under the sun has already been attempted. I guess I'll need to put my thinking cap on long and hard for this one.
I'm sure that you can think on a super cool competition, pal! You are a pretty creative fella.