a way to do a professor layton game with hint coins

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

theimortal1974
Spoken languages: English

a way to do a professor layton game with hint coins

Post by theimortal1974 »

I am just now playing Professor Layton and the Turnabout of the Golden Witch (Prologue). On the first puzzle it says the author didn't know how to implement hint coins and that's why you don't need them. I posted this on the forum post about this game but there hasn't been a post since 2018 so i don't know if anyone will look at it.

I was thinking could you do that kind of game and tie the hint coin system to the health bar? It looks like you can set the bar to as many "lives" as you want. each "life" is a hint coin. Every time you ask for a hint you lose one of those "lives". Then during investigation scenes you can find more coins and that refills one of your lives. The only problem is it possible to program the game to not let you ask for a hint if your life bar is zero? Another problem is you can "find" the same spot multiple times in this engine so someone could just simply click on the same spot over and over until their hint bar is filled.

Anyway just some musing of mine. Amazing game, I didn't think that it would be possible with this engine.
Jofe
Spoken languages: Français [100%], English [70%]

Re: a way to do a professor layton game with hint coins

Post by Jofe »

The only problem is it possible to program the game to not let you ask for a hint if your life bar is zero? Another problem is you can "find" the same spot multiple times in this engine so someone could just simply click on the same spot over and over until their hint bar is filled.
Variables can handle this. For the first, you create a variable attached to the health bar. For the second, it's like an AA investigation when you don't want an evidence to be find several times with a variable which is modified when the player pass the text, and then the messages aren't displayed a second time.
Image Image Image Image Image
theimortal1974
Spoken languages: English

Re: a way to do a professor layton game with hint coins

Post by theimortal1974 »

cool. that variable thing is way over my head right now. i'm still working on all the nuances of the court part. i hope someone can run with this. obviously the type of puzzles is limited in this engine but there are so many possibilities.