Is Verificiation Issue of External Evidence Icon URL a Bug?

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

SmileyMiley
Spoken languages: English

Is Verificiation Issue of External Evidence Icon URL a Bug?

Post by SmileyMiley »

I've discovered that when adding URL's for anything, such as sprites or icons, requires a file extension at the end of the URL. i wish it would search to see if there was a file extension not just at the end of the URL, because there may be arguments in the URL ('&?id=394081' as an example) that come after the file extension, and so the file extension wouldn't be at the end. The only place where I can find the certain sprites is where I am having URL problems with the mentioned type of URL that causes problems; AA wiki, where there isn't a file extension at the end of the URL, or atleast for the file I found. Luckily, removing the arguments in the URL and all the paths after the filename that lead to a specialized file seem to fix to issue:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/aceat ... ook_Jp.gif

instead of

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/aceat ... 0208162935[/u]

I was wondering if we could change the verification of the URL so that it checks everywhere in the URL for the file extension, not hyst the

Also, if it's possible, can the website code tell what kind of file a URL with no file extension leads to?

Thank you for your time.
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Re: Is Verificiation Issue of External Evidence Icon URL a Bug?

Post by SuperAj3 »

Given how I understand the upload of images to be online, they always carry the filetype extension at the end of the url (even imgur which renames images with a string of randomly generated letters).

As to your issue with the AA wiki, there's a bigger issue here of hotlinking from websites (as you're doing above). You should avoid copying weblinks directly from AA wikia, Court-Records or other sites as it eats up their bandwidth. It's the main reason photobucket links die because they eat up too much of the site's resources.
The proper thing to do is save all the pictures and re-upload to a site that allows hotlinking. I recommend using imgur.com to reupload all images to because they allow for an unlimited bandwidth.
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
SmileyMiley
Spoken languages: English

Re: Is Verificiation Issue of External Evidence Icon URL a Bug?

Post by SmileyMiley »

Thanks