[E][P] Scale Evidence/Profile Name Font Size to fit Container

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

TimeAxis
Spoken languages: English

[E][P] Scale Evidence/Profile Name Font Size to fit Container

Post by TimeAxis »

Currently, if evidence or a profile has a name that's too long to fit inside the name bar, it gets a "..." and you have to mouse over it to see the full name, being cut off most of the time. This looks really bad, in my opinion. It would be nice if it could be scaled to fit, so we could use slightly longer evidence names without the names being partially hidden. https://css-tricks.com/fitting-text-to-a-container/

EDIT: Just to clarify, though, it should only scale to fit if it's too long. Otherwise it should look the same.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [E][P] Scale Evidence/Profile Name Font Size to fit Container

Post by Enthalpy »

I almost like this?

There needs to be a minimum font size we'd allow, to avoid text that's overly difficult to read. Anything that still doesn't fit even at that size would still need to have the ellipses. I've experimented in the editor, and I'd propose that minimum font size set at 10px.

Whatever number we choose, we then need to decide how we display names that won't fit even with the smaller font. We'll still need to use ellipses, I'd imagine, but do we keep it at the original 12px? Downsize it as if it fit in the box?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
TimeAxis
Spoken languages: English

Post by TimeAxis »

Yeah that makes sense, in case someone enters in a whole paragraph as a name or something. I’d suggest maybe replacing the ellipses with a hyphen in that case, as in my experience, let’s say the name is one character over the limit, the ellipses end up cutting off about 2 or 3 characters more than they need to.

In cases where cutting off is required, the smallest allowed font should also probably be used, so as to show as much of the name as possible.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

While the ellipses do cut off more than a hyphen, the ellipsis is more intuitive to me, so I'm in favor of keeping that as it is.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson