[E] Invisible Textboxes

Post about what you like and dislike on AAO and suggest new features and improvements.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

TimeAxis
Spoken languages: English

[E] Invisible Textboxes

Post by TimeAxis »

I would like it if there was a checkbox similar to the one in this image:

When checked, it would make the textbox background for that frame hidden/invisible, so only the text is displayed, and not the grey box. The name tag background probably wouldn't show either. Not only would this allow certain scenes in Ace Attorney that don't have textboxes to be better emulated, but just having this as an option would open the door for players to add their own custom textboxes as popups (without any in-depth custom textbox systems needing to specifically be developed.) I think it would be a good and worthwhile feature.

Apologies for making so many suggestions, I'm just bringing things up as they come to mind.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [E] Invisible Textboxes

Post by Enthalpy »

Why can't you just click on the textbox in-editor and set it to None?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

That doesn't seem to be an option, from what I can tell? The only time you can have there be no textbox is if there's no text.

But if I misunderstood and you're just suggesting that as an alternative place to put the option, then yeah, I'd be cool with that. I just figured my suggestion was simpler and you guys seemed to prefer suggestions with clearly established UI proposals, but I don't actually care about the specifics of how it would work, as long as it were possible to do.

Admittedly though, having the checkbox not require an additional click would be faster if you wanted all textboxes in a trial to be invisible because you're using custom ones or something. But that's not a big deal. If it makes more sense to put it in the textbox sub-menu, then that's fine.
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

No, it is an option. Click on the purple name-box in the editor and select "None". If you can't see that, tell me what browser you're using.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

No, I can see that, (It starts on None by default unless you add a character to a frame) but that only hides the purple name box (And also means you can’t enter a name at all). I’m talking about hiding the entire big black/grey textbox background.

That’s how it works for me in Firefox, and Chrome (and Safari mobile is too small for me to see the frame editor, so I cant say for that.) But that seems working as intended, I think you just misunderstood what I was suggesting.
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Okay, can you give me an example of a scene like this in the main games, that has text but not the grey textbox?
ThePaSch
Spoken languages: English, German (native)

Post by ThePaSch »

Enthalpy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:15 pm Okay, can you give me an example of a scene like this in the main games, that has text but not the grey textbox?
Is it really that important to have this backed by anything from the main games? As far as I'm aware, the main games also don't show any variables inside the text box at any point - but we support the feature anyway.

Seems to me like a comparatively simple feature to implement as well. I might give it a whirl. I don't really see anything that would speak against it; on the contrary, with how frequent crossover cases with other franchises are on AAO - franchises which may indeed have hidden boxes in their original games, or which may have custom textbox designs that a case creator may wish to emulate - I see a lot of potential value in a feature like this. To be honest, the possibility of custom textbox designs alone had already sold me on the idea, even if they'd probably have to be intermittently used.
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

Enthalpy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:15 pm Okay, can you give me an example of a scene like this in the main games, that has text but not the grey textbox?
I was thinking of some of the case intros when I said that, but after looking back at them, it seems I misremembered. Not sure where I remembered that from. The closest thing I can find to it is maybe the animated scenes in the 3DS games.
I agree with what ThePaSch said, though.
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I was asking only to get a sense of where this should be in my priority list. Without going into details, while I want to get back to AAO work, this is not a very good time for me.

If you want to take this on, Pasch, that's the best case of scenario.
Torri 800

Post by Torri 800 »

Oh yes please if you could <3
the grey text box covers half the screen at times where I dont want it to, it would be nice to have a feature to make it invisible! if it's easy!
ThePaSch wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:59 pm
Enthalpy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:15 pm

Okay, can you give me an example of a scene like this in the main games, that has text but not the grey textbox?

Is it really that important to have this backed by anything from the main games? As far as I'm aware, the main games also don't show any variables inside the text box at any point - but we support the feature anyway.

Seems to me like a comparatively simple feature to implement as well. I might give it a whirl. I don't really see anything that would speak against it; on the contrary, with how frequent crossover cases with other franchises are on AAO - franchises which may indeed have hidden boxes in their original games, or which may have custom textbox designs that a case creator may wish to emulate - I see a lot of potential value in a feature like this. To be honest, the possibility of custom textbox designs alone had already sold me on the idea, even if they'd probably have to be intermittently used.