The Miracle Happen :')

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

XavierWright
Spoken languages: English

Re: The Miracle Happen :')

Post by XavierWright »

Spongesonic wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:03 pm
The Strange Case Of The Turnabout Review
Entry by: XavierWright
Spoiler : Screenshot :
Try telling that to every prosecutor in this series ever.
Spoiler : Synopsis :
A defense attorney from the UK comes to visit his friend, Henry Jekyll... but Jekyll gets caught up in a murder case he's not sure he's innocent of.
Spoiler : Review :
Story: So, this case is somewhat of a retelling of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. While I'm not super familiar with the original story, I do know the basics of it. Sadly, since this case currently only consists of one investigation segment, it ends before it starts to get to the exciting courtroom bits. Still, the foundation for an interesting mystery is there, and I'm intrigued where it's going to go next, and how it's going to use our knowledge of the original story to play with our expectations. There's also a bit of a tie-in to The Great Ace Attorney duology as well, though the case ends before it can be fully explained. There's a lot of potential in this story, but for now we're just seeing the opening bits.

Characters: I hope nobody takes offense to me wording it like this, but there's a certain British dryness to the characterization in this case. I don't mean that as an insult at all - simply that the characters are generally polite, and that the emotions they show tend to be a bit more subdued. That's not to say the characters are bad, mind you - the emotions may be subtle, but there's a lot of meaning behind them. Personally, I quite like it, and considering the story this case is adapting, I think it fits quite well. Still, since this entry is so short, we'll just have to wait and see where their arcs take them.

Presentation: Presentation was pretty alright for the most part. Character sprites and backgrounds fit well, and nothing really seems out of place. Music choices are also generally pretty good. But there's nothing really stand-out about the presentation. Not that it's bad, but it's simply just doing what it needs to do.

Gameplay: The gameplay in this entry isn't super in-depth, at least not yet. So far it's just an investigation segment, and a fairly linear one at that, with no real need to examine anything at that. While there's no real chance of getting lost, it mainly just feels like build-up for the main event that's about to come. There's really not much to this one.

Theme Relevance:
Note: Since this entry is currently incomplete, this is mostly just a guess at this point.
Spoiler : Interpretation(s) Used: :
1) An unsolvable problem being solved by a sudden and unexpected happenstance
I can't say I'm really to sure about how this ties into the comp theme, to be honest. I do have one guess, which would be a moment when one of the characters is in danger, but then something suddenly happens to get them out of that danger, but I'm not sure how much it counts as a Deus ex Machina, as well as being a bit glossed over in the narrative, at least for the time being. I definitely feel like the relation to the theme could've been stronger here.
Spoiler : Final Thoughts :
This case definitely has a lot of potential to lead somewhere interesting, though it's definitely a case of "wait and see". That, and I feel like the case could've been more clear on its relation to the comp's theme.
Thank you for the review!
Spoiler : :
The case being incomplete is probably the reason why the theme relevance seems quite vague. It's pretty obvious in the trial segments, so I suppose it wouldnt be very clear what it is in the investigation. Like I said before, I hope to change that when I finish the case.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

The Sublime Turnabout Review
Entry by: SuperAj3 and MasqueradeDemure
...I feel called out...
A young attorney fresh out of law school wins a case through mysterious circumstances, so he looks into the mysterious Sublime company to see if they had a hand in it.
Story: The story for this game is split into three days, with each day replicating a different part of the three-act structure - Day 1 introduces you to the main premise, Day 2 starts to reveal more of what's going on, and Day 3 acts as the big climax to finish everything off. While the story does have some sinister themes once you delve into the truth behind Sublime, and Day 3 does ramp up the tension, overall the story doesn't take itself very seriously. It knows that it's sort of a ridiculous premise and just runs with it. There's lots of comedic moments and, while not without some serious parts, it remains pretty light-hearted throughout. If you're up for some silly fun, this will be right up your alley.

Characters: The characters of the case tend to have very wacky, over-the-top personalities to complement the comedic nature of the story, with the main protagonist acting as the straight man as a counterbalance. The dynamics work pretty well, as the protagonist constantly gets more and more annoyed at all the shenanigans all the other characters are putting them through. From a pushy cashier to a shady co-worker who's willing to point you in the right direction, there are quite a few memorable characters that will tickle the funny bone. The main villain is also pretty fun, and makes the final showdown with them even more effective.

Presentation: This is by far the strongest part of the entry. The intro sequence feels like something straight out of a 70s sitcom, and the backgrounds are absolutely beautiful, really selling that Sublime Corp. could be a real place. Character sprites all fit the characters pretty well, and the music choices help to sell the mood. All in all, really excellent stuff here. I did encounter a bug where the intro music kept looping over and over again, even over other music, and I did have to restart to fix that issue. However, I think that was a problem on AAO's end due to issues with the updates, rather than anything in the entry itself.

Gameplay: The gameplay here is pretty straightforward. You're stuck in an investigation for the first two days, and it's usually pretty easy to figure out what order you need to do things in. There are some moments of pixel-hunting, but it's never too bad, and I didn't feel like I needed the walkthrough to get through it. The cross-examination portion begins on Day 3, and it's not very difficult to get through - there are no penalties so you don't have to worry about getting a game over, and the solutions are pretty simple. There was a bug I encountered where the trial stopped at a "The End" screen for no reason after I made one mistake, which ended up with me having to restart the case from the beginning, so... that wasn't fun. But I think that was the only one.

Theme Relevance:
There are two possible instances that might be what the writers were going for - one that happens at the very beginning, and one that happens at the very end. The one that happens at the end, though, doesn't really count since it's more of a case of Checkov's Gun than Deus ex Machina. The first instance, though, definitely qualifies, and since the entire case revolves around solving the mystery behind what caused it, it does have a good place in the narrative. So, overall, not bad at all.
A simple, light-hearted, fun case that really relies on its stellar presentation to get the job done. It's definitely worth a playthrough. Though I do hope they fix that bug I encountered, because it felt really cheap.
Last edited by Spongesonic on Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Spongesonic wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:16 pm
...I feel called out...
A young attorney fresh out of law school wins a case through mysterious circumstances, so he looks into the mysterious Sublime company to see if they had a hand in it.
Story: The story for this game is split into three days, with each day replicating a different part of the three-act structure - Day 1 introduces you to the main premise, Day 2 starts to reveal more of what's going on, and Day 3 acts as the big climax to finish everything off. While the story does have some sinister themes once you delve into the truth behind Sublime, and Day 3 does ramp up the tension, overall the story doesn't take itself very seriously. It knows that it's sort of a ridiculous premise and just runs with it. There's lots of comedic moments and, while not without some serious parts, it remains pretty light-hearted throughout. If you're up for some silly fun, this will be right up your alley.

Characters: The characters of the case tend to have very wacky, over-the-top personalities to complement the comedic nature of the story, with the main protagonist acting as the straight man as a counterbalance. The dynamics work pretty well, as the protagonist constantly gets more and more annoyed at all the shenanigans all the other characters are putting them through. From a pushy cashier to a shady co-worker who's willing to point you in the right direction, there are quite a few memorable characters that will tickle the funny bone. The main villain is also pretty fun, and makes the final showdown with them even more effective.

Presentation: This is by far the strongest part of the entry. The intro sequence feels like something straight out of a 70s sitcom, and the backgrounds are absolutely beautiful, really selling that Sublime Corp. could be a real place. Character sprites all fit the characters pretty well, and the music choices help to sell the mood. All in all, really excellent stuff here. I did encounter a bug where the intro music kept looping over and over again, even over other music, and I did have to restart to fix that issue. However, I think that was a problem on AAO's end due to issues with the updates, rather than anything in the entry itself.

Gameplay: The gameplay here is pretty straightforward. You're stuck in an investigation for the first two days, and it's usually pretty easy to figure out what order you need to do things in. There are some moments of pixel-hunting, but it's never too bad, and I didn't feel like I needed the walkthrough to get through it. The cross-examination portion begins on Day 3, and it's not very difficult to get through - there are no penalties so you don't have to worry about getting a game over, and the solutions are pretty simple. There was a bug I encountered where the trial stopped at a "The End" screen for no reason after I made one mistake, which ended up with me having to restart the case from the beginning, so... that wasn't fun. But I think that was the only one.

Theme Relevance:
There are two possible instances that might be what the writers were going for - one that happens at the very beginning, and one that happens at the very end. The one that happens at the end, though, doesn't really count since it's more of a case of Checkov's Gun than Deus ex Machina. The first instance, though, definitely qualifies, and since the entire case revolves around solving the mystery behind what caused it, it does have a good place in the narrative. So, overall, not bad at all.
Spoiler : Theme Relevance :
A simple, light-hearted, fun case that really relies on its stellar presentation to get the job done. It's definitely worth a playthrough. Though I do hope they fix that bug I encountered, because it felt really cheap.
Thanks for the review! Sorry about the bug. Can you please let me know roughly where it happened and I'll get to fixing it.

Glaring at Ash for missing this in their playtesting /j
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

SuperAj3 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:33 pm
Spongesonic wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:16 pm
...I feel called out...

Theme Relevance:
Spoiler : Theme Relevance :
Thanks for the review! Sorry about the bug. Can you please let me know roughly where it happened and I'll get to fixing it.

Glaring at Ash for missing this in their playtesting /j
*glares at you for making the case too easy for me to get anything wrong (except for that one part but shut up)* /j
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

The Mother's Turnabout
Entry by: trialdude
Attention!!! Talking about my feelings for this case requires me to go into spoiler territory. I won't mention anything specific, but if you wish to remain blind, it's best not to read the review. You have been warned.
But I like small talk about food...
An attorney on his death bed tells the tale of his first court victory.
Plot: At first, I was ready to write this story off as pretty unremarkable. Amateurish, even. It didn't really seem like that interesting of a mystery, it was a bit too briskly paced at times, and it attempting to tackle themes of suicide left me feeling pretty uncomfortable. And then that ending twist happened. And I had to pick my jaw back up off the floor. This case lures you with a false sense of security, thinking that you know what it's all about, that it's just gonna be the new guy trying to do what the pros do and not quite succeeding... and then it uses that against you at the last possible moment with a punch to the gut. The ending really does change your whole perception of the case once you know it. In that one moment, it all suddenly clicked with me - what I thought was just a standard droll, dull newbie entry with some uncomfortable topics was actually a well-disguised horror case. And that made me appreciate it so much more.

Characters: Likewise with the plot, I was ready to write the characters off as being rather dull, since they were a bit too dry and humorless for my liking. Having now played through to the end, I now see that the standard Ace Attorney comedy would be extremely out of place, here. There is one character who is a bit goofier than the others, but even he isn't nearly as eccentric as anything from the canon games. Viewing from the perspective of having now seen the ending, I totally get why the characters were written the way they were. As a matter of fact, the more down-to-earth personalities of the cast help to make the final reveal that much more sinister.

Presentation: The dryness of the presentation is another thing that seems like a negative on a first playthrough, but then quickly becomes a positive after the twist reveal. I wasn't vibing with the music choices because they didn't exactly bring much excitement to the case, but like many other things that happened after the twist, I now see that was completely intentional. The standard Ace Attorney flair just wouldn't work here. One thing I did like about the presentation from the very start, however, was the projector slideshows, as I thought they were fairly unique for an AAO case.

Gameplay: I'm a bit conflicted about this. One the one hand, I do with the case had more interesting gameplay to work with. Case logic is very predictable, puzzles aren't difficult, and investigations don't have much substance. On the other hand, more interesting gameplay would definitely spoil the idea of this being disguised as such an unassuming case. I suppose I'll just say that gameplay isn't really the main focus here and leave it at that.

Theme Relevance:
When the Deus ex Machina happened, I got pretty frustrated at first. There are typically two different types of Deus ex Machinas in Ace Attorney - you have your 2-4s where it's used as a tool to help the player find their way out of a hopeless situation, and you have you 1-2s which use it to just give the player their victory. This was definitely a 1-2 scenario, and since half the challenge of the comp is to make the Deus ex Machina satisfying from a narrative perspective, I was only going to give it half marks. But like many other things about this entry, this is something that suddenly becomes much better after the twist reveal, as you suddenly realize that feeling of frustration, that you didn't deserve your victory because it was just handed to you, was completely intentional. So now I have to take it back. The use of Deus ex Machina here is brilliant.
What seems to be an unassuming case on the outset hides a very dark secret that changes your perception of it completely. Don't be fooled - it's definitely worth experiencing.
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information
trialdude

Post by trialdude »

Thanks for the review! He's right, guys, definitely don't read this until later. :)
Spoiler : Don't read this either. :
I'm glad the ending worked for you. I'll have to check "get called brilliant in a review" off my bucket list!
I have the stupidest username in all of AAO. Nowhere else will you find one more stupid.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

That Turnabout Where The Murderer Killed The Victim Review
Entry by: clcman
There were legit so many moments that would've made great screenshots, I had a hard time choosing. So this is what I decided on. Yeah, no witty comment here, it speaks for itself.
A double murder occurs and the best defense attorney, prosecutor, and judge in the city are put to the case. Unfortunately, they all can't make it for unrelated reasons, so we get these bozos instead.
Story: This story is not at all serious in the slightest. For God's sake, one of the main plot points is that the killer dumped the bodies of the victims in a place called the "Convenient River". The co-council is literally a cardboard cut-out that talks in the protagonist's head. This is a very silly case, and it had me very much in giggles from start to finish. Despite that, there is an actual mystery going on, and for what it is, it's actually not half bad, even if it's so far unfinished. I do have a bit of issue visualizing it in my head, though, which I feel a diagram of the crime scene would help to solve.

Characters: The characters all have extremely over-the-top and zany personalities to fit the absolute insanity of the trial. The main protagonist may seem like a typical straight man, but he can be rather dim-witted at times, and hallucinates what his cardboard co-council is saying to him. The judge in this case is somehow more and less focused than Udgey at the same time. And of course, the witnesses are all wacky in their own ways. There's quite a lot to love about this cast, if it's your style of humor. Which it is mine.

Presentation: The presentation is alright, but nothing ground-breaking. There's a mix of default and custom assets, though not a whole lot specifically made for the trial, and they fit the characters fine. There's a lack of courtroom overview sprites, but the music choices generally fit pretty well. Overall, it's fairly standard.

Gameplay: I actually was impressed by some of the puzzles here, considering this is a silly comedy trial that's only in its opening part. One puzzle in particular was actually extremely clever, all things considered. However, it's all still standard Ace Attorney gameplay.

Theme Relevance:
2) Something impossible/highly improbable happening that can only be explained away with divine intervention
There's a running gag that pokes fun at Deus ex Machinas, and it got me good every time it happened. There's also an instance where a legitimate one may have happened, though it's still up for debate whether or not it's in the protagonist's head. And the entry ends on a cliffhanger right in the middle of a Deus ex Machina. It definitely has fun with the concept, that's for sure.
If clc's style of humor is right up your alley - which it is for me - then this is a fun one to check out. Don't go in expecting anything too serious and you'll have a good time.
Last edited by Spongesonic on Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Super Sonic going very fast... All of the entries sound so exciting.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
XavierWright

Post by XavierWright »

Yeah, the rate of these reviews is amazing. Kudos to the Judges.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Turnabout for Human Rights Review
Entry by: eerew and applekitty
Ace Attorney in a nutshell.
An upstart attorney visits his prosecutor friend that he has absolutely no romantic feelings for, I promise, but then gets caught up in - what else? A murder case.
Story: This entry is basically one gigantic s***post, and a very high-effort one at that. The story has a lot of very silly ideas and is filled to the brim with jokes, meta commentary, reference humor, and of course, memes. And yet, despite the insanity of the story, there is a method to the madness. An internal logic to the world. It's sorta like Hot Fuzz, in that there's a very silly tone and atmosphere, but there is still a legitimate mystery going on - and a surprisingly investing one. If I had one minor complaint, it's that the memeiness of the story kinda dies down as it goes along. Not to the point where it stops being there, but I kinda wish there was more of a balance.

Characters: Much like the story, the characters are all very silly, yet surprisingly deep. The main character is not a blank slate protagonist - in fact, he's far more of a sarcastic pessimist than any of the player characters in the canon games. His relationship with the prosecution is pretty fun, as they'll constantly make googly eyes, flirt, and kiss before going "but no homo tho". The judge is a first-timer, and there's a lot of fun jokes with that. And that sort of wackiness extends to the whole cast. They'll make you laugh at them, and then they'll make you invested in their struggles because they're just so much fun to watch.

Presentation: The term "stylistic suck" comes to mind. Since this trial is basically one big meme, it could've gotten away with only using the cheapest of MS Paint assets to really seal the deal, and make no mistake, there are plenty of MS Paint assets and out of place meme images to go around. Yet they're used sparingly, to make the impact of seeing them that much funnier. For the most part, the case uses a sort of pixel art-type style that is certainly different from the standard Ace Attorney affair, but I got used to it after a while. The unique assets are put to good use overall. It's clear the creators have a very good knowledge of the editor, and use that to create a lot of stand-out, memorable moments in terms of presentation.

Gameplay: Gameplay is mostly the standard Ace Attorney affair. The puzzles can actually be quite challenging at times, though the case logic can be a bit hard to follow at times due to what the case dubs "Stool Logic" - when the characters go off the beaten path just to make up a random solution that could have happened from little bits and pieces. Still, by the end, even though this case is incomplete, I felt like I understood what was going on. That said, the case likes to mix things up from time to time. There's one time you have to use the multi-witness mechanic from PLvsPWAA/TGAAC to catch a witness of guard, a stealth section, and a button-mashing QTE. This case likes to have its variety from time to time.

Theme Relevance:
2) Something impossible/highly improbable happening that can only be explained away with divine intervention
This one can be a bit hard to place - not because there are no moments that fit the bill, but because the case plays with the idea so much that it can be hard to pinpoint what was intended as a Deus ex Machina and what wasn't. There's weird, random coincidences, Diabolus ex Machinas, tons of meta jokes about Deus ex Machinas, a pair of haunted pants that stalks the main protagonist, and by the end there may have been a few legitimate Deus ex Machinas in there. It's a bit disorienting to keep track of, honestly.
A high-effort s***post with a surprisingly compelling mystery, fun characters, and lots of funny gags. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all ends.
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

Sponge liked me art. YIPPPEEEE!!!!
ImageImageImage
eerew

Post by eerew »

Sponge likes me stool logic and funnies. YIPPPEEEE!!!!
XavierWright

Post by XavierWright »

Only one left to go. We're nearing it peeps.
CallMeBlue

Post by CallMeBlue »

Sponge didn’t even mention me music… WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

CallMeBlue wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:51 pm Sponge didn’t even mention me music… WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
i did like it though i just forgot to mention it
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥

Misc. Information