[T][CE] A Turnabout With Too Many Faces ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

DJJ6800
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T][CE] A Turnabout With Too Many Faces ●

Post by DJJ6800 »

Awsome2464 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:36 am It's nice to see everyone having the same reactions Time and I did upon playing this entry. There's a reason Broken Commandments was so difficult to pick a winner for!
I'm just taking what little comfort I can get out of the fact that I had the better protagonist in this comp.
eerew

Post by eerew »

hi
Spoiler : :
This was another certified dwam classic.

There was a good 30 minutes where I had no clue what the hell was going on during day 4 and I think that's a big plus. I was just watching Phoenix in some kind of fever dream say the craziest shit I've ever heard about how everyone and their mother was actual an imposter and how there was two hotels. I didn't know how much of it was actually true but I was here for it.

I can't believe I heard the Fiend say "my dad was a jeweler", went "oh kind of like dahlia", then completely forgot about it until the end lmao. Writing was good, characterization was great outside of the obvious out of character moments, some of the jokes weren't for me but they were all silly and wacky. I don't really have much to say other than that it was all around good, it's hard for me to go into detail about why I like something. This case was even more bananas than Curtain was and it was great. And that was probably the best breakdown I've ever seen in a fancase.

The fake penalty on the Gumshoe present does admittedly make me want to punch you, but it wouldn't be a true aao case without one. Also some of the presents seemed kind of weird, like the mask present on gumshoe's testimony, and one of the prompts in the last testimony doesn't state the question that you're supposed to be answering so I forgot it, but it's just me being dumb and we're all save scumming anyways so who cares lol. The only one I feel strongly about enough to talk about in detail is the first testimony with Angel.

After the initial contradiction where you suggest Angel could've done it and get some more evidence before it throws you back into the testimony, I tried presenting the protective case on the statement angel made that went something like "when i checked the mask again at 9:45, i realized it was gone" because it implies she only realized the mask was gone by seeing it not in the case, and not from hearing the alarm. While the "press further and then say that something isn't important because they didn't actually answer the question you asked" is a classic, there doesn't need to be a new statement in the first place to present this contradiction, in my opinion.

anyways now that you've done mind court can you do ghost court next pretty please
bigwins

Post by bigwins »

just spent the last couple hours going through this one. so dense with twists and canon references and jokes and nested mini-mysteries, as always. extremely, extremely good.
you know who being some sort of eldritch being at this point
was just one of like a hundred great ideas you could pick out of any given part
AquaAce72

Post by AquaAce72 »

a certified dwam classic
Hesseldahl
Spoken languages: Español, English

Post by Hesseldahl »

Omg, I need to play this, I already have a lot of cases to go through, but this is for sure on my list.
drvonkitty

Post by drvonkitty »

Will echo that this is a "certified dwam classic"!
I've had my issues with some of your past cases—though "Strangers in a Land of Turnabouts" is one of my favorite fancases of all time, and I love Cascade Theater despite its flaws lol—but imho this was a perfect synthesis of my favorite parts of your others. Fitting, giving the competition theme and the return of so many AAO powerhouses! Am I correct that you broke every single one of Knox's rules here? Because that was impressive... I imagine it would be very easy to get bogged down in "YES THIS IS THE RULE I'M BREAKING NOW LOL" but instead each and every one felt like a natural part of the story's progression.

And what a story it was! The mystery, while being as convoluted & messy as I expected, was compelling throughout and there were never any twists that left me feeling frustrated and clowned. The twist with Phoenix (and thus the player) being bamboozled by the Fiend the entire time could have so easily gone wrong, but you executed it such that I felt genuinely tricked instead of suckered. Every time I play one of your cases, regardless of how I end up feeling about it, I always wonder how the heck you come up with this stuff. (I couldn't recreate the mystery of "The First Turnabout" if my life depended on it lmfao)

Of course, my favorite part of your works has always been the character writing, and this was no exception. I was drawn in from the beginning and kept in through the finish. I laughed out loud at many points (the 'explode' meme present got me), and I even cried at the scene where Phoenix tells Trucy how much he loves her. Your writing of their dynamic has undeniably inspired my own, and I loved it here even if it was brief. The scene where they sit around and casually break down the locked room was wonderful. Indeed, many of the scenes in this case were wonderful. Dare I say the whole case was wonderful!

Also, because I'd be remiss not to mention it, Edgeworth with the 'knight in shining armor' schtick at the end of the trial was excellent and had me rolling. I'm glad they get to watch their DVD. Maybe they'll even... h-hold h-h-hands.... no..... unless....? :oops:

Anyway, I don't have any critique to share, I just felt like gushing for a bit about how much I loved the case.

Ninja edit: Was there any mention given to whether or not we decided to accuse Gumshoe? It comes up a few times and he's upset at us, but I was curious if there's any changes based on that decision. I chose not to accuse him but didn't notice much acknowledgement. Possible I missed it, tho!

Ninja edit 2: Wait, you definitely didn't break all the rules because of the competition rules. 1, 2, 4, 5 (as in mysterious outsider), 6, 8, 9, and 10 are definitely broken, I think? But in retrospect, I don't think 3 was broken. I'm not sure about 7, since we also *kinda* play as the Fiend? But either way, extremely impressive!
tl;dr dwam case very epic, very pog

Dylan Dog
Spoken languages: English, Italian

Post by Dylan Dog »

Aside from stating this case was an absolute beast, I have a question that came straight out of my fridge logic:
Wouldn't Starr, Strange, Basil and even poor Vera have become addicted to Mnemosyne with disastrous results? They consumed preposterous amounts of it in the span three days, after all.
eerew

Post by eerew »

Dylan Dog wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:24 am hi eerew
Wouldn't Starr, Strange, Basil and even poor Vera have become addicted to Mnemosyne with disastrous results? They consumed preposterous amounts of it in the span three days, after all.
hi
I don't think it was inherently addictive, Desiree repeatedly used it because they wanted to forget Ron's death. If she didn't have something she wanted to forget I don't think she would've been addicted.
Igniam

Post by Igniam »

https://youtu.be/nhlpccIc5Ik

video

(at the end of the video I'm like "where did my badge go" hahaha, but there was no attorney's badge at the start, I just I M A G I N E D it - this sentence is not a spoiler)
really cool case. that 'incorrect' blue was an actual AAO case thing and I was questioning it so bad. didn't expect it would go there either. there were a few 'orly?' present moments, especially trying to get something across that isn't available to answer (for example, having to present Mnemosyne to Desiree that one time, because I thought there was no point in doing so, as Phoenix couldn't prove it was a contradiction)

also when I thought "I know who has the mask" was too vague because dead Ron definitely does not have the mask

also no idea what happens if you try to take a second Mnemosyne while you are in the 6 hour window. nothing really confirms this?

i was definitely led down the main path to get tricked at the end. the whole timing and potentially-parallel-potentially-not-parallel nature of the switching perspectives was not really resolved to the end so I had to try to unscramble and scramble that. basically it isn't real, I guess, and that's why the drawing/stain 'details' are made up too. so the player has a chronologically separate timing of this (i must assume canonically that these flashbacks are given to Phoenix all at once when Phoenix meets with Fiend, but the player sees these flashbacks in parallel before this info, so there must be some unscrambling the player has to do where these 'flashbacks' are no longer objective), which basically makes the basis of the hidden passage thing. Does the story even say where the other end of that passage is? I thought it was literally proposed to be "the hotel" which implies no one knows where that leads. although it could maybe just be outside, and then nearby is the hotel lol.

I do remember trying to present the Two Hotels theory by using the other hotel in the evidence.

also enjoy "Payment" and "Severe Cold" taken out of their context to make a different point. do wonder about how Severe Cold's "blackouts" never were involved, I thought you could theorize they took out security footage or something

some typos:

hotel reservation:
"As planned before taking Mnemosyne, I got to the The Parkview Avenue Hotel at around 8 PM and reserved a room. I was found there by the police after the crime."
also there was another typo that I do not remember anymore... spOoOky

walkthrough says "Present Elias Strange's Profile" when I don't think that person is ever called or named Elias
also walkthrough says "Statemnet"
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Thanks to everyone who's played so far! Happy to see most of what I was going for landing!

Just gonna answer a few specific points here 'n' there.
eerew wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:52 pm hi
This was another certified dwam classic.

[...]

The fake penalty on the Gumshoe present does admittedly make me want to punch you, but it wouldn't be a true aao case without one. Also some of the presents seemed kind of weird, like the mask present on gumshoe's testimony, and one of the prompts in the last testimony doesn't state the question that you're supposed to be answering so I forgot it, but it's just me being dumb and we're all save scumming anyways so who cares lol. The only one I feel strongly about enough to talk about in detail is the first testimony with Angel.

After the initial contradiction where you suggest Angel could've done it and get some more evidence before it throws you back into the testimony, I tried presenting the protective case on the statement angel made that went something like "when i checked the mask again at 9:45, i realized it was gone" because it implies she only realized the mask was gone by seeing it not in the case, and not from hearing the alarm. While the "press further and then say that something isn't important because they didn't actually answer the question you asked" is a classic, there doesn't need to be a new statement in the first place to present this contradiction, in my opinion.
I took me a while to remember what "fake penalty on the Gumshoe present" was referring to, since I was fairly certain there was only one point where the player *gets* something resembling a mandatory penalty; but then I remembered that I was a total troll on that lmao. I think I specifically did that to mess with save scummers

I've seen a few people mention they felt the Angel testimony was weird -- during beta-testing, at least. I didn't end up changing it because i was pretty worn out by that point, but might come back and streamline it.
drvonkitty wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:24 am Will echo that this is a "certified dwam classic"!
Ninja edit: Was there any mention given to whether or not we decided to accuse Gumshoe? It comes up a few times and he's upset at us, but I was curious if there's any changes based on that decision. I chose not to accuse him but didn't notice much acknowledgement. Possible I missed it, tho!

Ninja edit 2: Wait, you definitely didn't break all the rules because of the competition rules. 1, 2, 4, 5 (as in mysterious outsider), 6, 8, 9, and 10 are definitely broken, I think? But in retrospect, I don't think 3 was broken. I'm not sure about 7, since we also *kinda* play as the Fiend? But either way, extremely impressive!
tl;dr dwam case very epic, very pog
On the first point, there's no change. I considered adding a full on bad ending if you accuse him, but fundamentally I think the better choice was to communicate how Sam was more in the position of "pushing" Phoenix to make certain decisions than Phoenix himself making active decisions -- and how Phoenix now had the chance of actively avoiding what she was pushing him into doing

For the second point, yeah -- I'd initially set out to break everything, but I eventually got more interested in structuring the story in a way where I tease you about what rule I'm breaking. In a sense, a lot of the rules I've broken I inevitably unbroke. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what the final sin count is on the tally. I also had an idea where I end the story completely differently and reveal an alternate solution where none of the rules are broken, and the post-credits scene has a fictional version of me realizing I hadn't actually broken any of the rules I was teasing, so the final ending is a gif of spider man with Pizza Time playing in the background to break rule 5 as the mysterious outsider.

But then I realized I can't really come up with a satisfying alternate solution, so Pizza Time was put to rest. Alas.
Dylan Dog wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:24 am Aside from stating this case was an absolute beast, I have a question that came straight out of my fridge logic:
I guess this also maybe is another point in me poorly using the word 'addiction' at the places I have, and I've seen a few other people have a similar thought. Fundamentally, what Desiree's addicted to is the idea of losing herself, not the drug itself -- the drug is, in this case, just the means to an end. There is no dependency caused by Mnemosyne.
Igniam wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:30 pm https://youtu.be/nhlpccIc5Ik

video

(at the end of the video I'm like "where did my badge go" hahaha, but there was no attorney's badge at the start, I just I M A G I N E D it - this sentence is not a spoiler)

[...]

also no idea what happens if you try to take a second Mnemosyne while you are in the 6 hour window. nothing really confirms this?

i was definitely led down the main path to get tricked at the end. the whole timing and potentially-parallel-potentially-not-parallel nature of the switching perspectives was not really resolved to the end so I had to try to unscramble and scramble that. basically it isn't real, I guess, and that's why the drawing/stain 'details' are made up too. so the player has a chronologically separate timing of this (i must assume canonically that these flashbacks are given to Phoenix all at once when Phoenix meets with Fiend, but the player sees these flashbacks in parallel before this info, so there must be some unscrambling the player has to do where these 'flashbacks' are no longer objective), which basically makes the basis of the hidden passage thing. Does the story even say where the other end of that passage is? I thought it was literally proposed to be "the hotel" which implies no one knows where that leads. although it could maybe just be outside, and then nearby is the hotel lol.

I do remember trying to present the Two Hotels theory by using the other hotel in the evidence.

also enjoy "Payment" and "Severe Cold" taken out of their context to make a different point. do wonder about how Severe Cold's "blackouts" never were involved, I thought you could theorize they took out security footage or something
Thanks for the video! Reactions for the last stretch were pretty top-notch.
Your interpretation of the way the perspective trick works is correct, yeah. It's shown out of order primarily to mess with the player and demonstrate how Phoenix himself could've bought into the narrative. I didn't really think about what's really at the end of the Club passage lol -- but it's not actually connected with the hotel in any way. There's no actual secret passages in play, obviously.

Admittedly, most of the snowstorm/blackout stuff was ultimately a plot contrivance tool on my part to justify some of the more blatant logic holes ^^" (particularly with Phoenix's actions while he was on Mnemosyne). The fact that it happened to effectively tie into the other stuff was convenience more than anything else.
Again, thanks for playing everyone!
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

Well, let's do this. I remember the trailer from the awards ceremony showing someone who was pretty, so I am of course over the moon.
Spoiler : Stream of Consciousness :
Green = dialogue from the case, black = my comments

Angel... Basil...

Oh, typo.
???: "I am not of belief that..."
Unless this narrator has intentionally bad grammar (which might be the case, given that I think I noticed a weird mannerism or two), you forgot a "the".

VERA?

Angel: ""If you get a voucher for a free vacation, it's probably bait for some kind of killing game.""
Hahahahahahaha that's a great line

Angel: "Do you have an issue against old Buddhist sayings, Ms. Basil?"
Basil: "Only against those not actually said by Buddha."

HAHAHAHAHAH this is fantastic already

Vera: "That he believes we ARE bad people... but that it has nothing to with his motive..."
Good freaking point, Vera... but why would Lisa be a bad person? Angel, maybe - don't recall 1-5 very well, but I don't think she did anything that bad there either. Vera had the whole forgery thing going on, so I can get that, but the other two... and who's the protagonist? I'm intrigued.

Angel having multiple boyfriends is great.

Angel: "Which, as we all know, is an action taken only by sane, non-murderous people."
That made me giggle LMFAO

???: "(Hello? Do you not see the robot lady?!)"
HAHAHAHAHA

I half-expect the protagonist to be Patricia Roland. I also half-expect the protagonist to be three monkeys in a trench coat with a paintbrush and a monkey-to-human voice translator.

Angel: "But know that cuter faces than yours have failed to deceive me."
Angel: "Like Boyfriend Number 10. He's dead now."
???: "JESUS CHRIST."
Angel: "Oh, I had nothing to do with that. Freak accident, I swear."
???: "Uh-huh."

Angel: "Your typical slasher movie rampage isn't very "in" right now."
Angel is suddenly Esme Squalor from A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Angel is most definitely going to get herself killed. Like, two minutes into this. And then the protag will be suspected a la Danganronpa 1-1.

Angel: "You guys... Aren't exactly inspiring a lot of confidence in me."
Basil: "While the feeling is, I assure you, mutual, I still think you should not be foolish about this."

JESUS CHRIST HAHAHAHAHA

Leather jacket... Are we Cindy Law? I can see it, honestly. Unless there's a canon character I'm not thinking of... (If I think of them, I'll mention it later. I know that if they're canon, they're a woman...)

Wouldn't be very surprised if the protagonist is behind all of this, honestly. This feels like it could be leading up to that.

Basil: "Much like an internal IT team, she seems against making progress in a critical situation."
God when did Lisa goddamn Basil become so good at roasting people? She needs her own comedy show.

HUH? HUH? HUH? HUH? SINCE WHEN IS THIS BECOMING AN AJ-ERA BORSCHT BOWL CLUB CASE?!

Desiree?????? Wait hang on isn't that the lady from the trailer that had the effed-up heads????? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa god

Phoenix: "(Wife of a former client.)"
Olga: "(Naughty boy.)"
Phoenix: "(Not like that.)"
Olga: "(Psh. Well, my interest has faded.)"

I love how much of a drama addict Olga is hahahaha

FI-- FIFTEEN MILLION???

I really really love this portrayal of Desiree? Hot damn.

Jeez, Phoenix, you are crazy to agree to this.

OH YOU BASTARD YOU DIDN'T ACTUALLY SHOW US WHAT HAPPENED IN THE SIX HOURS. HAHAHAHAHA. WHY DID I EXPECT YOU TO.

Phoenix trying to beg for info is funny.

God I love the starting dialogue between Phoenix and Klavier. Especially the part that's like "you believe Lady Luck keeps smiling on you?" and the lines after that.

OOOOH ANGEL IS THE VAN DINE SECURITY GUARD THAT'S FUN

Phoenix: "Once a detective, always a detective, huh?"
Angel: "Do I know you?"

Ahahahahaha. That's good.

Jesus did Angel just call (fake) Germans worms?

Pleading the fifth... smart move. I like Wright strategizing like this.

Klavier: "Herr Wright was not at his home. Instead, we tracked him to the The Parkview Avenue Hotel."
Two the's. (Same thing in the evidence description, which now makes me think this was intentional, but it's also weird.)

...Here's a thought: Desiree has to win by showing Wright stole something with evidence. But if he's about to get arrested and she brings in Mask deMasque as a suspect, then proves deMasque did it to get Wright off the hook like she said she would... then she loses, right?

I suspect Angel, for the record. She could've easily set Wright up.

Klavier: "Whoever stole the mask must've been seen by the camera. That is a fact."
Damn you, Red Truths! *stabs Beatrice* (I think that's the Umineko Red Truth person)

...Why are some inner monologue lines different shades of blue? There's the default shade, and then another shade.

The false objection using Knox Rule 7 was very good.

Hmm... This contradiction is hard to find... Presenting Angel at the "no other visitors" statement did nothing, as did the camera footage (I thought maybe there was a shadow of someone that I didn't notice in it or something).

Oh, duh. Presented Angel at the last statement. Never mind, I realized I was being dumb after like a minute and got it.

Phoenix using "I" in quotes is fun.

Klavier saying "How would he know it was in a case?" to make a point is total BS. Most things in museums are either on the wall or in cases. Physical objects that aren't paintings or canvases are usually in cases.

Klavier: "...I purposefully showed you a photograph of the mask out on a stand, not in a case."
Okay, this improves things, but I maintain my frustration with him even saying the earlier line about Wright saying the mask was in a case.

Oh, thank god. Phoenix actually said what I was thinking about making an educated guess. Glad you addressed that, then.

Well, new contradiction: Alarms should've gone off if Phoenix stole the thing. But presenting the protective case at Angel's 9:35 statement didn't do it.

Ah. Found the right statement. I had to say "Not particularly" at the multiple choice.

...Ahhhhhhh. The witnesses are gonna turn out to be the people involved in the Nightingale Incident. Angel, Basil, Vera, and... Desiree?

???: "You're... pretty?"
Angel: "A) That's not exactly a secret.
B) I don't understand why you phrased it as a question."

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OH MY GOD

Basil: "I TOLD that marketing director people would get it...
Who's laughing now, JENNA?"

GOD WHY IS SHE SO EFFING FUNNY

AHA. IT IS CINDY LAW!

???: "(When my mind drifts like that, is she still... present somehow?)"
...She?

Got to the contradiction in Basil's first testimony. Pressing the first statement and asking what servers are was hilarious.

GET EFFED I DON'T HAVE A KEYCARD! (I love the T&T objection theme here.)

Basil: "My "good luck" has been withdrawn for you, sir!"
LMFAOOOO god I definitely don't remember her being this sassy in 3-3. She's fantastic.

...I KNEW the blue text changes were something weird... (I had to check the walkthrough for who to present as "How did Starr get the mask out of the museum?" - it was too hard to figure out for me. Though I guess I could've figured out Gumshoe being her accomplice - but still, I failed to.)

What IS going on with this voice?

God, accusing Gumshoe is HEARTBREAKING.

Second contradiction was too hard for me to figure out - used the walkthrough. But it's a smart one!

AHHHHHHHHH I CAN'T JUST ACCUSE HIM GOD

Oh, thank god. I didn't accuse him, and I got to Desiree's testimony. (By the way, at some point, she calls Phoenix "Nick boy" instead of "Nicky".)

...Did Desiree pull a [redacted fangame spoiler] and swap out my Magatama...?

(Answer is no. Phoenix said so.)

Clever. Desiree got drugged earlier, before 4, and forgot the bet. If Phoenix mentioned the bet, Desiree would think he was crazy and he'd be screwed. That's smart, Ms. Orly...

Klavier: "The FIRST JURY TRIAL, and you DIRECTLY INFLUENCE THE JURY'S PERCEPTION OF THE CASE."
That line legitimately scared me. My heart jumped like it was a FNaF jumpscare.

GOD AND RON'S DEAD? AND OLGA'S MISSING? WTF IS THIS

...Is this fortune teller Kate Hall??? At least sprite-wise, that is.

Ah. Our lovely protagonist takes Mnemosyne.

???: "Being a jewel dealer leaves you with a surprising amount of spare cash."
Jewel dealer... jewel dealer... I keep thinking of 3-4. Dahlia and... wherever she got that diamond from... was that her father's? And spiritual stuff could explain the mind reading...

...! Valerie...? She does look similar enough to Cindy Law, too...

Yeah... Our protag might just be Valerie Hawthorne...

RON'S FACE... OH BOY...

GOD THIS IS GETTING SO GOOD. There were parts of the day 2 trial that I felt were too difficult, and as much as I understand the Gumshoe accusation, I don't find it so necessary - but other than that, I'm really loving where this is going.

In the detention center, Klavier called Wright "Herr DeLite".

JESUS KLAVIER YOU DICK I THOUGHT YOU ACTUALLY MEANT THEY WERE DEAD

Phoenix: "Miss..."
If she hadn't left, she would've said Hawthorne. I know it.

Trucy and Phoenix's interactions so far have been so sweet. I've loved them.

The judge saying "I too am ready to rock" was cool as [expletive].

...Was that pickle joke a gay joke? LMFAO

Okay I haven't commented in a while because I've been super confused and invested at once, but Edgeworth saying "Oh. That explains the voice in my head clearly pretending to be my own." was SUPER funny.

EDGEWORTH IS JUST INSISTENT ON PHOENIX WATCHING THE DVD WITH HIM HAHAHAHA

Edgeworth: "Did a DOCTOR not run you over with his car just recently?"
That made me laugh harder than it should have.

EDGEWORTH IS JUST CARRYING THIS CASE NOW HAHAHAHA HE OBJECTS HALF A SECOND INTO THE CROSS EXAMINATION FOR SAM

Edgeworth: "Ms. Cardenio, I ask you to admit planting the body now and save yourself some embarrassment."
HOLY CRAP HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edgeworth: "The window in the Hydeout cannot be opened. The defense rests."
I'M LAUGHING SO GODDAMN HARD HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay so she wasn't Valerie but a third sister. But still. Freaking CALLED IT. And pretty early too!

...You should've totally used the custom sprites me and SuperAj3 made for this case. They'd have been perfect for Sam!
Great stuff! I think overall, I'll keep this from going tooooo long: This case is great. It's very unique and takes a fun approach in combining canon stuff I doubt anyone would dare to combine. BUT there are a few moments where the humor comes off as "haha random tumblr lulz" to me (though most of the rest of the humor was fantastic and made me laugh many times), and a few moments that feel a bit contrived, even with the in-case justifications that were given for them. And as much as I enjoyed the mystery and how everything happened, it got too difficult and confusing at one or two times for me. Thankfully, I kept a good idea of what was going on in my head, so it's not like I was ever confused as to what was generally happening, but choosing the right evidence to present or the right choices to make wasn't always fun because I'd end up getting confused by everything and just kind of guessing.
Also, this isn't as polished in terms of spellcheck/grammar/presentation as some of your other cases - clearly understandable given that this was for a comp on short notice, but it was still noticeable.
Also, also, I wish you had seen the custom sprites I mentioned at the bottom of my SoC. I really feel they would've added an additional layer to one of the most important characters in all of this.

Some elements are at, like, a 5/10 for me, but most of this is a 9. Some parts even 10.
Those mostly being the part where Edgeworth comes in randomly, nonchalantly mentions the voice pretending to be his inner monologue, yells at Phoenix about not being there to watch the Steel Samurai DVD with him, and just destroys Sam's case without even waiting for Phoenix to speak. And then they just go off and watch it. That section was the funniest crap I've seen in a long time. Probably one of my favorite AAO case moments ever, definitely topping the list for your cases.

Oh, and Lisa. Lisa was fantastic. A complete joy all throughout.
So I'm giving you a solid 7.5-8/10 on this. That being my objective rating - my enjoyment level was easily a 9.5.
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
Igniam

Post by Igniam »

glad you liked the video

there's a small thing I forgot to mention that was a lingering thought
i lost track of the "impostorizing" that was happening, because even though phoenix looks insane for suggesting angel/basil/phoenix were imposterized and there are 2 hotels, I only remembered that Angel was impersonated by Sam and Phoenix was by Ron as being confirmed. it's probably just me missing or forgetting something but it seems like Basil's appearance before them getting rescued was as much of an oddity as the rest
TheDeadMan

Post by TheDeadMan »

I'm now ashamed of myself for delaying myself in playing this case this late because it truly is another dwam classic. I'll keep it brief because I don't want to think too much.
Characters were good, the humor was good, mystery was too high iq for me, mind was blown away from creativity and craziness. Overall, it was really enjoyable. Not sure right now if it's my favourite dwam case but it's definitely up there.
I'm giving it a DWaM/10.

ok now when next case
Diyarhan
Spoken languages: Turkish, English

Post by Diyarhan »

Wow.. just wow.
Well, after a long break of Ace Attorney, this was the case I got back to it and well.. I think it was a great choice. The story, the characters, the plot twist.. everything was nothing but a DWaM classic. Seeing Dahlia at the end with her hand on a mouth was really good. She isn't gonna stop haunting us, will she? I don't really have much to say because I'm still in the effect of it. I just wanna say thanks because of this great story and making my day better. Thanks man.
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

I haven't played an AA fancase in a while but, damn, this was a good one. Though I suppose that's to be expected. I already mentioned to DWaM, I played it but I figured I'd oughta give a proper review.
I think what really stood out to me is how... minimalist, in a way it is? Like, the polish of the presentation really stands out because of how clever and simple it is. Almost no OC characters, almost entirely in-editor tracks, there is some very nice graphical stuff but it's never in your face. It makes the end where you have the vocal track and the visuals going nuts stand out more. Like the game was a drumroll to that big moment and it works perfectly. That balancing of knowing when to push and when to let things run really makes this a masterclass for AAO presentation. I also appreciate how that extends to the plot and the gameplay. Bar one or two times I can think of, the difficulty was perfectly balanced. The plot had all these weird background things to dig into but it never distracts from the core plot which was clear and focused. Sam is a really well realised character and I appreciate how the plot never strays too far from who she and Phoenix are, it could have been very easy with the elements at play for that to get drowned out; the thing to cannibalise itself in overcomplication. The solution was such a breath of fresh air, frankly. Anyway, it's noticeable how much thought was put into crafting the whole rather than just than the moment to moment.