[T] [CE] Turnabout Divergence (AA4 and beyond spoilers)

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

skyem
Spoken languages: English

[T] [CE] Turnabout Divergence (AA4 and beyond spoilers)

Post by skyem »

You know that trial where Phoenix lost his badge?
What if you throw in a couple of deus-ex-machinas that cause him to uh, well, not lose said badge.
He's still in a bit of a jam, though. It's not going to be that easy.

Join him in this epic slog of alternate events as he deals with this colossal mess. It'll be fun, I promise!

Play it (part 1) here: https://aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=142108

I've yet to make part 2, but it'll be made eventually.

Spoiler : Walk-through! :
Spoiler : first cross-examination :
Spoiler : press the third statement :
Spoiler : select "something else was shot" :
Spoiler : click the clown doll forehead :
Spoiler : press the fourth statement :
present pistol against 6th (newly inserted) statement.
Spoiler : second cross-examination :
Spoiler : select the first option :
Spoiler : it is important! :
Spoiler : select stop for now :
present pistol on 5th (newly inserted) statement.
Spoiler : third cross-examination :
Spoiler : press more! :
Spoiler : press the (newly inserted) fifth statement :
Spoiler : it raises a contradiction! :
Spoiler : present photo :
Spoiler : click the IV bag :
present syringe
Spoiler : On the bit that that starts along the lines of "this isn't the..." :
Spoiler : present law book :
Spoiler : second rule :
present page
Spoiler : fourth testimony :
either option works
Spoiler : fourth cross-examination :
Spoiler : press all statements :
when asked for the diary, present it.
Spoiler : ...Can I present evidence? :
Spoiler : no, you can't. :
present Trucy
Spoiler : funny :
presenting ???, Zak, Meekins, and Phoenix don't give you a penalty
Spoiler : fifth cross-examination :
present CCTV to third statement
Spoiler : between fifth CE and sixth testimony :
present law book when asked (presenting other things won't give you a penalty)
Spoiler : sixth cross-examination :
Spoiler : press first statement :
Spoiler : press newly inserted second statement :
Spoiler : press fifth statement (after the two statements were added before it!) :
Spoiler : press eighth statement (after the three statements were added before it!) :
present CCTV against the newly-inserted eighth statement
Spoiler : next witness :
ask about delivery
Spoiler : seventh cross-examination :
Spoiler : press fourth statement :
Spoiler : ask how much :
Spoiler : press newly-inserted fifth statement :
Spoiler : present report to fifth statement :
present meekins
Spoiler : funny :
(though presenting Trucy, Athena, and Gumshoe won't give you a penalty)
Spoiler : eighth cross-examination: :
Spoiler : press the second statement :
Spoiler : press the (updated) second statement :
present CCTV against the (newly inserted) third statement
Spoiler : Credits :
Thanks to the creators of Ace Attorney Online for making such a wonderful site.

Thanks to Enthalpy for the Catalysis tool.

Child Athena Sprites - NotButz

Canon Rips - court-records.net

Some sound effects from Apollo Justice - The Sounds Resource

Thanks to Capcom for creating Ace Attorney

Thanks to DeathByAutoscroll for sprite fixes and frankenspriting / frankenbackgrounding.

zoomout Athena from the album by Rajin,SuperAj3, ShiroForever, Hesseldahl and SilverGlas.

Playtesters: Bannedfrom7, drvonkitty, David C., Poco, Savo, DeathByAutoscroll, Frechi.
Last edited by skyem on Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImageImage
Trybien

Re: [T] [CE] Turnabout Divergence (Apollo Justice spoilers)

Post by Trybien »

If you are like me and that infamous case bothers you, I think you will get a kick out of Turnabout Divergence. Was a joy to play for the competition, even if it's a bit slow at first as it goes through the motions of getting to said divergence.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Trybien wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:06 am If you are like me and that infamous case bothers you, I think you will get a kick out of Turnabout Divergence. Was a joy to play for the competition, even if it's a bit slow at first as it goes through the motions of getting to said divergence.
And even if you're like me and that infamous case DOESN'T bother you, it's still interesting to see the story being told from a different angle. Would recommend.
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

What if you're like me and you're indifferent to that case?
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

DJJ6800 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:20 pm What if you're like me and you're indifferent to that case?
Give it a try and see how you like it I guess?
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

I've got a lot of cases to play after the comp ended. Plus my own case to make when I inevitably enter the next comp and possibly drop out of but I'll do what I can!
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

Spoiler : :
Good stuff. You made Klavier REALLY annoying and that was my favorite (and most infuriating) part of the trial. Also loved Trucy and Athena testifying. Also, also, you managed to make Meekins not totally insufferable and I love that.
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
Sonnie Celanna

Post by Sonnie Celanna »

Spoiler : :
There's a lot to like, but honestly I just want to see a bunch of AA cases with Lil Trucy and Lil Athena just commentating in the background now more than anything.

In all seriousness, I really enjoyed playing this and can't wait for more.
S. Cel :april: :pearlhappy:
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Here comes another opinion of someone who didn't really mind the original version of this (didn't grow up with the trilogy so that plays a role) but I do really like "what ifs" a lot so let's go.
Spoiler : Part 1 spoilers :
I'm definitely interested in seeing more. I feel like when doing a "what if" people are often struck with the intense desire to try to get to the major changes as fast as possible, which is an urge I relate to greatly, so I appreciated the restraint here in letting the "what if" occur more slowly and naturally.

While playing through this I was struck with the sense that I felt like I had seen someone echo my opinions in the past. I then realized that my opinions on this case were very similar to Spongesonic's review of this from back in the case comp thread. I really liked the "what if", enjoyed most of the added callbacks to the original trilogy (there were a few that felt a bit too much for me but that's very minor and different people have different tolerances for that sort of thing), and I liked the usage of most of the canon characters. I will say that I took issue with Klavier in a similar way that Sponge did, where it felt like he was too brash even for younger Klavier. Unfortunately he was probably my least favorite character in this, believe me when I say that I love seeing messy characters making messy mistakes, but this interpretation of Klavier just didn't gel with me (again though, I saw other people mention liking your interpretation of younger Klavier, so I imagine you'll get divisive responses to him).

My thoughts on your interpretation of Phoenix is basically that I liked him a lot more later on in the trial than in the early parts of the trial. The early parts of the trial have this thing where I feel like Phoenix is far too quick to fire off with a quip of some kind, in a way that doesn't feel natural to me and breaks up the flow of the pacing. I understand that this was likely done to differentiate the early game more, but I feel like the quips should have been restrained a lot more. Thankfully, once the divergence hit, I really enjoyed this aspect of your version of Phoenix a lot more. His comments felt a lot more natural, and he felt a lot better utilized as a character to me. So overall I'd call that a win in my book, and admittedly others might not mind the frequency of the earlier quips depending on what they're into.

However, I have nothing but praise for how you handled the rest of the canon cast: They were truly a highlight for me, and I didn't really have any complaints about them (note: I have not played DD, but I do know Athena). I really liked the way you handled Gumshoe and The Judge in particular, two characters who are often just relegated to comic relief when the two have demonstrated more sincere sides to themselves that I think are well worth exploring. I really appreciated Gumshoe's additional implementation in particular, since he feels just kind of there in the original version of the 4-4 flashback trial.

On the case developer Discord server I've often seen you wonder if you should spend more time polishing part 1 or making further progress into part 2. Just my own opinion here, but I would personally encourage finishing this case and stuff. The urge for perfectionism is strong in many many creatives and I've dealt with it myself, but finishing a work is more important to make sure you don't lose steam. Of course feel free to edit part 1 still, I just wouldn't make it a focus. But it is ultimately your project, so if you disagree with my advice then just don't take it. I'm personally really looking forward to the second part myself. Best of luck.

Thanks for making.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
Spenjaminn

Re: [T] [CE] Turnabout Divergence (AA4 and beyond spoilers)

Post by Spenjaminn »

Honestly one of my favorite fan cases, pretty much everything is written extremely well, and it feels like a very natural interpretation of the "what if phoenix wasn't disbarred" scenarios. Really hope this gets a part 2!
casewriter

Re: [T] [CE] Turnabout Divergence (AA4 and beyond spoilers)

Post by casewriter »

Hey man, are you working on part 2? Part 1 was really funny, and it also told an interesting story about what would have happened not in the canon timeline. I'm excited about if you're going to use more characters like Maya, Edgeworth, or Klavier, because I think that would be a really interesting showdown. I'm really excited about where this series goes next, because it feels really professionally made! The only problem I have with the case is that when a character, like Phoenix, slams their hand, the entire screen shakes instead of the person's hand. That's just a minor nitpick, because everything else is really amazing. I hope you continue to work hard and have a good day, skyem!