Super Scary

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

eerew
Spoken languages: English

Re: Super Scary

Post by eerew »

Turnabout Of...?
by Super legenda
Spoiler : Screenshot :
Is it the meowing or the fact that I begin every sentence with “NUZZLEBOMB!!”? :cry:
Spoiler : Synopsis :
The notorious criminal Rey Crown sends castle-turned-theatre Merveille Castle a letter saying that they can expect them soon. Felix Pursuit is sent to stop whatever crime they have planned.
Spoiler : Review :
Story: The story ends right as it starts to pick up, and is mostly spent interviewing the various workers of Merveille and learning about a crime that happened in its past. Don’t get shocked, but I think the past crime just might end up being a wittle relevant :cute: It’s clear that there’s going to be some sort of rivalry between Felix and Rey, and that’s the aspect of the case I’m most interested in seeing resolved in the final story. There are some weird moments, though, where dangerous/high stakes things happen, and Felix ignores them and absentmindedly goes to dinner or keeps interviewing random people. Maybe I just can’t understand his Chad energy.

Characters: Felix is mostly a blank slate, though he does like showing his shiny magnifying glass to the cast. The majority of the spotlight is on the other characters, who were the highlight of this case for me. The cast members have their own little quirks, like Dream*, who wears a mask with a smile for hours at a time, and my favorite cast member Sidney, who has the most noticeable and based one. And then there’s Rey, who as I mentioned before, I’m excited to confront eventually if I can overcome my shyness.

*Not their in game name

Presentation: The characters are all original, and use sprites from the oc thread. All of the background/cg art is AI generated, which causes some cgs to be blurry and smudged. I actually quite liked this, as the cgs are usually flashbacks, so the haziness makes it feel like it’s an actual vague memory you’re recalling, though some haters might not see it that way. As for the text, English is not Super legenda’s native language, which I’m obviously not gonna dock points over. However, I’d recommend he gets a proofreader before releasing the case, since some of the lines and jokes are hard to understand as a result.

Gameplay: All that’s done so far are investigation scenes, which have a few optional presents. As a flavor text enjoyer, they are appreciated. There seems to be something special about Felix’s magnifying glass, which might be a mechanic later? There’s really no way to tell, as the investigation ends rather abruptly.

Theme Relevance: Nothing too spooky has happened yet, though one of the last scenes promises that there’s potential for some craaazy stuff to happen as the night progresses… Also it takes place in a spooky castle, and sometimes people gasp with a sound effect like “gasp” like WOAHHHH *gasp*. Sorry…
Spoiler : Overall :
PROS
-Original characters have interesting little quirks
-Based Super legenda doesn’t have to commission a single asset because a robot did it all for him
-Protagonist/Antagonist dynamic that seems like it will be fun

CONS
-Felix doesn’t seem to understand the gravity of the situation
-Unfinished. Please finish this later :redd:
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

Alright, thanks for the reviews, I am so ashamed of ending it in such spot, and I tried to get a tester and well, nothing
Spoiler : :
And ye, Felix is mostly a blank slate, I even thought on his name, the last in the case, so yeah, I never gave him much thought and just focused on the other character. Aaaand I promise investigations and examinations, alongside the dialogue will be expanded.
eerew

Post by eerew »

snippets
by skyem
Just found out why girls bleed... it's cause they run to the train too fast! :shock:
You find a floppy disk that says “read me”, and when you put it in the computer tells you a bunch of thoughts Skye has for some reason.
Story: There’s not a linear story here, the case is mostly skyem talking about their strange dreams and their experiences with dissociation. The case is fairly short, about ten minutes in length, and it shows a handful of these experiences. There’s no concrete ending, as this case is more of a vent than a story.

Characters: It’s Skye.

Presentation: The backbone of this case. Most of the backgrounds are hand drawn black-and-white, and there’s even an animated loop of outside scenery. Apparently it’s rotoscoped, so I’ll act like I fully understand what that means. The sound effects are immersive, too, there’s a slight buzzing ambience as you’re sitting at the computer. Putting the disc in has all the sound effects you’d expect as it reads your disk. When the computer turns on it makes a sound effect I like like BUMMM. It also has that old windows fanfare sound that roblox uses. Very cool.

Gameplay: You experience various flashbacks through presenting floppy disks into a computer, getting another floppy disk from each flashback. I liked this method of getting plot a lot.

Theme Relevance: Don’t know if it fits this comp exactly, but dissociating is scary. EEK!
PROS
-Neat core gameplay mechanic
-Great assets and immersion

CONS
-Extremely personal story that not everyone, including me, will relate to
-lol arguing was spelled aruging
DJJ6800

Post by DJJ6800 »

eerew wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:29 am
Turnabout Of...?
by Super legenda
Is it the meowing or the fact that I begin every sentence with “NUZZLEBOMB!!”? :cry:
I see Rosemary can't catch a break with how many identities she has in these fan cases.
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

DJJ6800 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:17 pm
Turnabout Of...?
by Super legenda
I see Rosemary can't catch a break with how many identities she has in these fan cases.
________ always has her work cut out for her.
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
eerew

Post by eerew »

The Unplayable Turnabout
by Dylan Dog and Trybien
i'm actually shaking and sobbing rn i would literally never say this this is character assassination
ereew and kitty wake up in a strange prison, and then like someone dies and they have to keep looping because ereew is a shifter(mispelled in the game as sh!ter) and then they have to like go through these tear things and fix them because um they’re being stuck in a multiverse and like the multiverses will merge if they don’t into a universe where sublime turnabout won deus ex machina comp and also they have to solve locked room murders made by Douglas Washington Montgomery and Whitesigil are there and also like the zero escape wheelchair guy is there and
Right off the bat I need to say that this case will probably never be public for reasons mentioned in the review.

Story: I honestly could not tell you what happened in this game or what it’s about, everything is a mess of umineko, zero escape, AAO, but most scarily eerew references. As the screenshot might subtly indicate, this is not a serious case, so it’s not like the story needs to be super understandable or make any logical sense. I had only had a vague sense of what was going on at all times, but that’s all I needed to enjoy it.

Characters: The main characters are ereew and kitty, who are based on the notorious users eerew and applekitty you might recognize from the moderation warning thread. I found ereew to be nothing like eerew, as he’ll constantly talk about poo and how much he hates umineko and loves flirting with taken men, nothing like me at all. Kitty is perfectly in character though. There’s also other various AAO users who come to antagonize us, some scary creepypasta people, and other weirdos. One thing that’s utterly horrifying is how the game knows everything I’m going to say and do next. It knows I’m going to google the knox commandments it references because I don’t know what they are. It says my discord bio wrong, I say it’s outdated, then on the next frame ereew says “actually that’s wrong I updated it”. It knows I hate cranberries. They know when I check the editor. They know everything I’ll ever say and do.

Presentation: A lot of the background art is ai generated, so it looks pretty good but a little funky, but it does get the point across. It doesn’t really matter how good they look because there’s often like 4 people on the screen so they can’t be seen anyways. There’s also some discord screenshots of things I’ve said, everything I’ve ever said or done is put on full display here, even my “Am I gay?” quiz results. This game presents itself through the AAO editor, but also through non-aao parts of the interwebs. The presentation for the non-aao parts is minimal and spooky too… scary font ehehehe. Finally, the case uses a lot of Zero Escape and Umineko music, but the real standout is the original acapella track “Eerew’s Dilemma” sung by Trybien. I listen to it every night before bed.

Gameplay: This case is largely an actual ARG. Halfway through the Unplayable Turnabout, it rolls credits, but after the credits the game keeps going and you play through the second loop. In the second loop, it asks you to join a discord server and check the editor, and then once you finish the second loop the trial ends. Inside the editor is a ransom note showing the stakes of the case… Inside the discord are directions to find other trial ids and play them to restore “tears”, little games that are each based on a different character. Solving the tears gives us clues that we use to figure out the password to zipped files that have the next trial ID in them. There’s also an unnamed mind-reading discord user in there to help us if we need it. That’s right, “us”, as kitty also joined the server and we were instructed to tackle the rest of the game together. In some tears we have to take cryptid quizzes, in some we talk to the real eerew(a little otter), etc.

In one of the tears we have to solve red truth murders, and this is probably the part of the case I disliked the most, because solving those are hard and I’m a weak baby man. But mostly because the way to input the answers is through reading some red truths and then entering the answer into AAO, which is hard for me and kitty’s doo doo brains so we just cheated and looked in the editor eventually. I think this would’ve gone better if there was another user inside the discord who we could shoot poo truths(blue truths) at and solve it that way, then once solved we’d get a passcode we enter into the game. They already made like 3 discord alts for this, what’s another one?

As I write this review, I’m currently waiting for my australian friend to wake up so they can pose as me and publicly accuse one of the creators of trapping me and kitty inside the aao case, so we can finish the entry. It makes sense if you play the entry. (it doesn't really make sense to me)

Theme Relevance: Honestly not sure how theme relevant this case is, but there are certainly spooky things within. This is definitely more of a “make a silly case with scary themes” kind of entry. Slenderman was there at one point, very scary. Also the super scary judges are there.
PROS
-I had fun
-funny case lol
-I understood the umineko and zero escape references, kitty probably can’t say the same B)
-Creators spent 3 months making a literal ARG shitpost custom tailored to us
-Tricking is always the answer

CONS
-The creators didn’t do enough kitty research to predict everything they will say and do as well
-I understood the umineko and zero escape references, kitty probably can’t say the same B)
-My really based solutions to the locked room murders weren’t presentable
-Waited 2 days to see a 10 frame credit screen
Last edited by eerew on Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

Nyyooooooo… I don’t think I will… Hehe…
Spoiler : EXTRA SECRET SCREENSHOT :
The Unplayable Turnabout
Dylan_Dog & Trybien
Phoenix finds himself saddled with the strangest case of his life. But he doesn’t, actually, because the game isn’t about him and it’s actually about two other people. Klavier is there too, except he isn’t, because the prosecutor is someone else. A delve into a metagame that is actually about two real life people. Except not really. But kind of. I hope that makes sense.
Spoiler : Theme Relevance :
While it somewhat fits into the more Halloween-y theme with rather comical depictions of murder and general spookiness, it does not lean fully into it, nor the other theme provided.
Spoiler : Characters :
The characters are based off real people known to the AAO community. How well or unwell they represent their actual character is debatable, but I think it’s cute to have them there. For the few OCs provided, I didn’t get much of an impression off a few of them, but the live chat with two characters I enjoyed. While I’m not sure Dylan or Trybien expect character studies or to have much depth to the characters they’ve used, I did enjoy what personalities the more important ones had.
Spoiler : Presentation :
This case relies on AI to produce backgrounds. All other things are sourced from the random OC thread, it seems. The presentation, having us going through AAO and through Discord, was sublime and I enjoyed that portion. However, that just comes from the genre of an ARG, and I’m not sure if it counts. I enjoyed the willingness to RP characters even through a Discord VC call, and the willingness to continue doing so within chats or direct messages.
Spoiler : Story :
The story is a little odd and nonsensical, but is played for comedy, so I appreciate it. It’s not really hard to follow, and it’s easy to get invested in— in terms of wanting to see what’s next and what Dylan & Trybien have crafted, rather than wanting to see any characters progress. It felt like there was a new, silly thing around every corner, and the story was carefully crafted specifically for the judges (and only the judges) to play. I’m not sure if this case will be released to the public afterwards, and while I did enjoy it, I don’t see a public release of this heavily user-interactive case. If there is, I will be pretty happy, though I’d doubt one can get attached to the two main characters like we did.
Spoiler : Gameplay :
The gameplay is intriguing as I’ve never seen it done in AAO before. It’s more ARG-focused than case-focused at first, as you have to get off of AAO and solve riddles and puzzles. This case had both judges come together in a Discord server to continue to play the case together. Some of the puzzles are harder than others, with one requiring us to take a break and come back to it the next day (but only because I had to go to the movies for like 6 hours). While it may’ve been unfair at certain points, we did have the walkthrough and then eventually had to turn to the editor for the sake of the answer when we got fairly close to it. The case’s use of ‘input an answer’ allows for a lot of different wrong answers to be put in before you get the right one.

I don't have a lot of gripes mostly because when we were playing the case together, eerew was the one playing them because my computer farted out. The logic & riddles were a little silly and what not, but I don't really care because I didn't have to be the one who was laboring over them. EL O EL!!!
A case that breaks the boundaries (and rules?) of general AAO comp cases. Definitely not a case that will be for everyone, because it was specifically crafted for eerew and myself to play, but I found it to be very enjoyable. Overall, I had a fun time experiencing it even though my computer was forced to restart while trying to play through its first segment. I feel like this case would be better to watch than to play one's-self, as the investment we have may not be the same for future players.
ImageImageImage
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Thanks for the review you two, I look forward to seeing the SoCs!
Shame yall couldn't appreciate the objectively horrifying nature ofnthe case, but art is subjective so oh well.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Dylan Dog
Spoken languages: English, Italian

Post by Dylan Dog »

I regret nothing.
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

DJJ6800 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:17 pm
Turnabout Of...?
by Super legenda
Yup, honestly picked her because she worked for Sidney and, the memes of giving her yet another name.
eerew

Post by eerew »

turnabout pizzaria ^_^
by pinkcocoapowder and Parcark
OPEN YOUR DOORS AND WINDOWS. TURN ON YOUR TV.
Phoenix Wright has his craziest case yet when he has to defend Henry Emily for the murder of William Afton…
Story: The case against William Afton is pretty open and shut. I wonder how we’re going to get out of this sticky situation. And as we try to solve the case, scary things keep happening left and right... what the deuce. The murder case isn’t really the focal point of the trial, and the trial seems more like a vehicle to deliver jokes and spooks. Some of the jokes are funny, lol, and that is an objective statement so it can be counted in their favor. I fear some other aaoers may not appreciate the genius that is put on display here, however.

Characters: You play as Phoenix, and boy is he nervous! (I know this cause he said it). The rest of the typical court roles are filled in with canon characters, who are only vaguely in character, because if they were actually in character they wouldn’t be able to say the awesome funny things they do. Then there are oc characters from other media who I think actually act perfectly in character, surprisingly, based on what I know of them. Especially Springtrap.

Presentation: There’s custom made backgrounds, sprites, and animations that all look good. Some of them have rather silly and inane aspects to them, feh… I detest jokes… but you can still see the talent behind them. The game has two animations in it that I remember, very cool.
The case is so intentionally riddled with typos and errors that’s it’s hard to tell what is genuinely a mistake. In an entry that has a case going on, it’s hard to get a read on what is actually a mistake, and the case was sometimes hard for my underdeveloped brain to read because of the constant typos, weird order of new statements being added to the testimony, and I don’t even know if it was supposed to be like that. This case could not contain the silliness, but they will learn how to dose out the randomz in tiem… The errors that are obviously on purpose, like the profile descriptions, work well and some make me cackle myself laughing ehe.

Gameplay: The game takes place in an ace attorney trial that only has one cross examination. The cross examination is fair if you aren’t blind like me… And the case also features a scary fnaf-like minigame in it, very cool and eekiful. Wouldn’t want to spoil it for the viewers at home. The creators decided not to send us a walkthrough, so they might hate us.

Theme Relevance: There’s a scary fnaf minigame in it and also in the case i saw springtrap and mandela…
PROS
-This case cannot contain the silliness.
-funny case lol
-Awesome art…
-Very scary case with scary things in it
CONS
-Sometimes the character say hi (eerew plagiarism)
-The creators hate us so much they didn’t send us a walkthrough :(
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

For the record, I knew for months that Try and Dylan were going to send a s***post to you at the last minute.

I did not tell you because it was just too spooky.
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
XavierWright

Post by XavierWright »

It's amazing how fast the reviews are coming in. The next comp might come sooner than we think.
Young_Englander

Post by Young_Englander »

Thank you both for your reviews, I really appreciate your feedback. I’ll definitely keep what you’ve said in mind when I continue working on the case. As Xavier said, it is impressive that you’ve managed to complete the reviews so fast.
pinkcocoapowder
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by pinkcocoapowder »

eerew wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:05 pm
turnabout pizzaria ^_^
by pinkcocoapowder and Parcark
OPEN YOUR DOORS AND WINDOWS. TURN ON YOUR TV.
Phoenix Wright has his craziest case yet when he has to defend Henry Emily for the murder of William Afton…
Story: The case against William Afton is pretty open and shut. I wonder how we’re going to get out of this sticky situation. And as we try to solve the case, scary things keep happening left and right... what the deuce. The murder case isn’t really the focal point of the trial, and the trial seems more like a vehicle to deliver jokes and spooks. Some of the jokes are funny, lol, and that is an objective statement so it can be counted in their favor. I fear some other aaoers may not appreciate the genius that is put on display here, however.

Characters: You play as Phoenix, and boy is he nervous! (I know this cause he said it). The rest of the typical court roles are filled in with canon characters, who are only vaguely in character, because if they were actually in character they wouldn’t be able to say the awesome funny things they do. Then there are oc characters from other media who I think actually act perfectly in character, surprisingly, based on what I know of them. Especially Springtrap.

Presentation: There’s custom made backgrounds, sprites, and animations that all look good. Some of them have rather silly and inane aspects to them, feh… I detest jokes… but you can still see the talent behind them. The game has two animations in it that I remember, very cool.
The case is so intentionally riddled with typos and errors that’s it’s hard to tell what is genuinely a mistake. In an entry that has a case going on, it’s hard to get a read on what is actually a mistake, and the case was sometimes hard for my underdeveloped brain to read because of the constant typos, weird order of new statements being added to the testimony, and I don’t even know if it was supposed to be like that. This case could not contain the silliness, but they will learn how to dose out the randomz in tiem… The errors that are obviously on purpose, like the profile descriptions, work well and some make me cackle myself laughing ehe.

Gameplay: The game takes place in an ace attorney trial that only has one cross examination. The cross examination is fair if you aren’t blind like me… And the case also features a scary fnaf-like minigame in it, very cool and eekiful. Wouldn’t want to spoil it for the viewers at home. The creators decided not to send us a walkthrough, so they might hate us.

Theme Relevance: There’s a scary fnaf minigame in it and also in the case i saw springtrap and mandela…
PROS
-funny case lol
-Awesome art…
-Very scary case with scary things in it
CONS
-Sometimes the character say hi (eerew plagiarism)
-The creators hate us so much they didn’t send us a walkthrough :(
eek... sorry for not sending you the walkthorough....... my bad...............................................
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
If you agree, please add this to your signature...
ImageImage
ImageImageImage