Super Scary

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Re: Super Scary

Post by GuardianDreamer »

I said it before and I'll say it again: There's been so much creativity in this comp, I'm really looking forward to (hopefully) seeing some of these get showcased. I'll be sure to play the ones that get released.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
applekitty
Spoken languages: English

Post by applekitty »

Spoiler : Screenshot :
“in my class we’re doing a careplan/health care assessment for admissions and my fake patient has leukemia and now my brain is like “what genetic debilitating disease can i give miles for angst” genetic specfically so he can have the angst about his dad and not knowing his familial medical history” -someone on discord
Turnabout Pizzaria ^_^
parcark & pinkcocoapowder
Spoiler : :
Phoenix is saddled with another case, but this time his dad shows up to give him much-needed moral support. After all, this is a rather spooky case with a violet victim…
Spoiler : Theme Relevance :
Related to the game FNaF, this game takes the idea of putting Henry and Willaim (two FNaF characters) in the court system as murderer and victim. With a FNaF mini-game at the end, this case has a certain halloween-y charm because of its setup and a genuine horror aspect given the minigame.
Spoiler : Characters :
This game delights in making Phoenix and Edgeworth very silly. It’s a more delightful and fantastical silly than a grounded parody. There’s a general air of random XD humor that I enjoy, with the particular addition of Phoenix’s father constantly telling him what to do— in the man’s own special way.

The inclusion of John Phoenix, the world’s best defense attorney, warmed my heart. I hope he has a bigger role to play in the story (and he probably does, considering Pink’s fascination with the man) and we get to see more of him if this case reaches a public completion.
Spoiler : Presentation :
I adore the custom-made graphics in this game, as I’m sure Pink and Parcark had a fun time figure out how to animate a few of them. Pink’s spooky art is always fun to look at, and it’s great to see it used in a way that can make full use of Pink’s ability to draw nice, foreshortened perspective.

Regarding one of the presents, I was surprised to see it was actually making use of a image-related present (with one image not having the same object type as another) because usually AAO cases don’t have the resources or ability to make it happen. It’s a pretty typical thing in AAO where if your evidence is one thing and your CG is kindof the same, that those two things are the same piece of evidence. It’s nice to see the difference addressed.

Pink told me that Phoenix’s dad was actually made by Parcark and I was pretty impressed. I thought you might’ve just grabbed it from somewhere or other, but the willingness to go out and make it was great.
Spoiler : Story :
The story is a bit silly as well, but it seems like we’ll be getting into the meat of the story if parcark and pink continue to work on this. I’m not sure they will considering they’re both in school and might lose the motive to work on the case after the comp is over, but I’d look forward to playing more of it if it ever seens the light of day. I’m sure the rest of AAO would be delighted to have this be a debut for parcark & pink’s unique casemaking skills.

But anyways, as far as story goes, it seems like we’re just getting started. A nice setup and a nice middle ground has been set, and it seems like only the conclusion is waiting to be completed. There’s some Psyche-Locks we still have to break and the rest of the trial to get to.
Spoiler : Gameplay :
The strongest point of this case is for sure its gameplay. The logic is rather simple because you only really have two pieces of evidence.

The FNaF minigame is on the simpler side in terms of FNaF gameplay, with three screens to look at and one button to press. However, I liked it for its purpose in the game. I feel like it’s not the end of the Scary Monster in the Vents, and warding it off for now will mean a future visit. The minigame also has a time mechanic that actually works.

I was a little confused by the instructions of the minigame at first and died a few times, so I feel like JP saying ‘press the button to charge’ would be helpful. I know he’s being a bit vague on purpose or something, but still, it would be useful. Thankfully, I’ve spent 1000 hours in Cookie Clicker, so I know what I’m doing when it comes to spam-clicking.
Spoiler : Overall :
A great first case from parcark and pink as they learn the environment of AAO and decide to make a rather silly case. It doesn’t rely on community-known jokes to be silly, or for you to understand any part of what makes their jokes funny to them. It is a fun ride, and I hope eventually it gets finished instead of letting the coaster fly off the tracks and explode on the ground like Rollercoaster Tycoon.
ImageImageImage
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

MOVE!!! GUMSHOE MOVE I WANT TO SEE THE PICTURE I WANT TO SEE TH
Insane in the Turnabout
BlairPrivPriv
enthalpy: PUBLICALLY REVIEW THIS CASEE!!!

me: BLEHHHHH :P i am NOT doing that u can’t make me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
ImageImageImage
GuardianDreamer

Very excited to see the reviews for the remaining entry, this has been going way faster than I thought. Happy to see that the theme brought out some really unusual experiments too.
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Make My Life Worse
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
eerew

Post by eerew »

Don’t Resort to a Turnabout
by DeathByAutoscroll and clcman
If I was scary would you scared. Be honest…
Spoiler : Synopsis :
Legendarily annoying prosecutor Spike Crusher is found choked to death in his hotel room, and the one accused i- oh wait no I mean a defense attorney’s close friend is bricked to death in a hotel room and the prosecutor is the legendary Spike Crusher.
Spoiler : Review :
Story: The story initially involves you defending the assistant of Spike Crusher, and the case is simple enough(though my brain still can’t figure out how the defendant did it), but partway through it jumps to another case that’s similar to the first one except noticeably lower quality, there’s shuttershock graphics, dead tinypic links, and canon characters for every oc. It’s like the first case is a remake of the second one.

Said first case is made by CoolCat and dedman, and every now and then you can find author’s notes in the case. There’s also some scary meta text at some point. I’m not sure what the story here is trying to be since it ends early, though it seems like the game could have a scary entity within, and it may have been in there for ages based on the tinypic link. AAO.exe, anyone? It’s still too early to say, as the clues are vague, I'm mostly talking out of my butt. I’ve glossed over most of the submitted entry, but I don’t think I’ve spoiled too much, as it is very unfinished. I think this story is going to ramp up a lot in ways none of us are expecting. Luckily clcman is notorious for finishing cases so hopefully we see what crazy things are going to happen soon :^) :cry:

Characters: You mainly play as Terry Pence (a pun on terrapins like turtles cause he’s a defense attorney get it), and the majority of the dialogue is between him, the defendant, and the assistant. This assistant, man. Ermmmm… they’re a LITTLE wacky zacky and say quite zany things, which is very scary. The cast all feels distinct, and I’m hoping that the victim gets revived from the dead and ghost-prosecutes because they sound awesome. I’m not gonna talk about the cast in the second part, might as well leave some things a surprise ehe... but I will say that they are quite awesome and a blast to the past...

Presentation: A lot of the jokes and presentation in this case seem ironic, like it’s doing a parody of an AAO case. They use the “whoops” sound effect like 80 times in the first part, which is either intentional genius or they just really like the sound. I think it’s the first one because it’s only done in the first part. The funniest moment of the case for me was when at one point the witness flies past the defense screen in a way that I don’t think is possible to do accidentally. If none of this is intentional, then this part of the review is probably going to come off as really mean, sorry CoolCat and dedman.

I liked the way that the presentation matched each case. The first part is like a more modern AAO case, with the general character dynamics and custom sprites for ocs, while the second part is like a 2014 AAO case you’d find on the games page randomly one day, with every oc being a canon character and many dead asset links.

Gameplay: Right now it’s just a simple trial and then a simple investigation. There’s not much to say on this front, but I think things will get very interesting if things between the two cases begin connecting.

Theme Relevance: This may just be DDLC 2… we’ll have to see… we’ve only scratched the surface… ehehehe
PROS
-Two-separate stories is a very interesting concept that could end quite amazingly…
-Wacky zacky characters that go like eebeebeebeebee
-Awesome use of presentation. Rip tinypic
-Every copy of DRtaT is personalized

CONS
-Not 100% clear what spooks are in store
-Every copy of DRtaT is personalized
eerew

Post by eerew »

Now that I've finished all my reviews (before kitty I might add, not saying I'm better and cooler and more awesome than them for finishing first but I'm not completely leaving it off the table), we've just gotta wait for kitty to finish their last review and then we can deliberate over the cases...

I have to say, this was a genuinely great entry lineup. Granted, this is the only comp I've ever hosted so I have no comparison, but I genuinely enjoyed every entry and all of them really had their own identity. I didn't have a bad time playing any of them.

To the unfinished entrants, I really encourage you to finish after the award ceremony. All of your cases had a lot of promise, and tease at mechanics/story that I'm very intersted to see fully developed.

I honestly have no clue who will win, I liked so many of these entries so much, and each entry is so different from the other that it's also hard to compare them. Me and kitty will have to fight over it like cats and eerews.
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

Like most women, she can’t look me in the eyes when complimenting me.
Don't Resort to a Turnabout
DeathByAutoscroll & clcman
Taking on the role of Terry Pence, you go through what seems to be a normal trial. For you, the player, you’re a beta-tester for two AAO-ers, and any glitches you find aught to be screencapped and sent to the editors for them to fix.
Spoiler : Theme Relevance :
Within the first moments, this case establishes its metagame spooks. We are immediately taught that there will be glitches, which by Frame 3, we see that it’ll probably be the main plot of this game. The spooks start a while in, and leave a lot of room for intrigue. While the true game has only just started, that’s unfortunately where the case ends— and unfortunately, the spooks stop short.
Spoiler : Characters :
At first one might assume that the characters in the story are the ones we see in the profiles. However, the true characters we are meant to focus on are the developers of this game. Going by the named dedman and CoolCat, we read their authors notes and see their troubles with development and what not. As we play through the trial, we get more authors notes.

In the trial, we’re trying to figure out the murder of an old prosecutor which the case repeatedly states is a meanie poopie doo-doo head and very lame.
Spoiler : Mid-Case Spoilers hehe don't read if you wanna play this game OK!?!?!? :
The case seems to center its attention on dedman, as the game glitches and takes us back in time to one of his very first cases— one that’s focused on that aforementioned prosecutor. The spooks begin here, as we see through the lens of an old AAO case the way this prosecutor actually acts.

There is an unknown entity seemingly within the game, trying to communicate at times, and I very much enjoy this. I like video game entities or ghosts within games. Whoever or whatever this entity is immediately compels me with its cry for help as well as its focus on dedman’s work. It feels as though there is an immediate connection between the two characters, though unspoken. It also feels as though the entity is intertwined with the prosecutor as well, given the continued use of him in both cases.
Spoiler : Presentation :
This case does have a few evidence frames that have pixels on their borders that aren’t mean to be there. One profile is blurry for some reason. Other than that, it seems to have a few ocs taken from the OC thread.
Spoiler : Mid-Case Spoilers DONT READ IF YOU WANNA PLAY OK!!!?!!? :
This case makes a masterful use of old AAO standards. When we travel back in time to dedman’s first case, this is shown through the use of tinypic ‘image not found’ placeholders as well as the fact that most old AAO cases didn’t HAVE ocs with fancy gifsets, or an ocs thread to pull from— they just used the canon characters and renamed them. A brilliant and incredibly easy, effortless way to show time has regressed.
Spoiler : Story :
This case seems to be focused moreso on the characters rather than an overarching trial-related plot. Some kind of conflict between the developers and their glitches has formed.
Spoiler : Mid-Case Spoilers hehe don't read if you wanna play this game OK!?!?!? :
Like I said in the characters section, the story revolves around dedman at the moment. I’m curious to know whether or not it’s just dedman who’s been targeted by the apparition in their game or if CoolCat is also on the menu. It is as though the true story has yet to begin. The story between ourselves, the beta-tester, and the thing within the game that desperately wants our attention and (seemingly) love, no matter the cost (which is to be scary, despite the seeming reluctance).
Spoiler : Gameplay :
We go through a relatively standard trial and investigation scene throughout the case. Most of this game’s standout portions are within the story and the characters. The addition of authors notes added during the trial, then having them end during the investigation shows nicely how the narrative is seemingly out of our two authors' control as well as their sight.
I can’t talk about this case much without spoiling the aspect that I liked the most. I don’t know if this will be a case that comes out because clc has worked on it, but I hope with Autoscroll at the helm that it will see completion. There is a quiet despair in this case that is hard to ignore, with subtle specks of old-style creepypasta horror of a game coming alive to talk to you. This case gave me a lot to expand my brain about and fill in the slots for what went unsaid by the narrative to fill in with my own theory, and I quite like that. Perhaps it's because it's unfinished at the moment and leaves a few striking questions.
ImageImageImage
DeathByAutoscroll

Post by DeathByAutoscroll »

Glad you both enjoyed it!
Was extremely anxious if everything would be conveyed correctly due to the unfinished nature but thankfully it did!
Thrower of bricks.

Co-host of the Into the Takumi-verse case compeition.

Stuff I've made in 2 weeks:
The Impossible Turnabout
Erinaceinae Griminance

Cases I have collabed on:
Don't Resort to a Turnabout (W.I.P)
Trucy's Magical Catastrophe
That time I got reincarnated as a fictional Defence Lawyer in An Ace Attorney fangame and had to defend myself against incredibly unfair odds.

Stuff I've made by myself that is good:
...maybe in the future.
GuardianDreamer

All the reviews came out much sooner than I was expecting. Best of luck to all the authors as they try to finish their projects after the comp is over.
Make My Life Worse
Defend Him, Not Me!
My Twitter is here
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

Good luck everybody, we shall see what the ceremony brings to us!
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

Trybien’s any% review speedrun world record may have been surpassed here. Good luck to the other entrants.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Sponge maybe was beaten, I still finished my reviews 2 1/2 days after the deadline with one more entry on top of that compared to eerews 3 😎
Last edited by Trybien on Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
XavierWright

Post by XavierWright »

Maybe someone should hold a case review speedrunning comp 😂
GuardianDreamer

Very eager to post up my showcase thread already, but now is the time to be patient since these sorts of things take a while. Now we wait and hope and vibe.
Make My Life Worse
Defend Him, Not Me!
My Twitter is here
Bannedfrom7

Post by Bannedfrom7 »

Best of luck to everyone!
I am Banned