[T][CE] Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

[T][CE] Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio ●

Post by GuardianDreamer »

https://aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=143014

This is my case made for the Super Scary competition, Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio (or just MM for short)

Synopsis: A world similar yet distinct from our own where the witch hunts were even deadlier than in our world's history. The village of San Ignacio welcomes a new day, and with it, yet another witch trial. Another supposed witch is tried by the inquisition, yet these accusations involve strange circumstances that no one seems able to explain.

This case deals heavily with discrimination and bigotry, something I want to make very clear regardless of whether you choose to peruse the content warnings or not. In addition to the content warnings, this trial portrays witch hunts and a witch trial and does so in a more grounded way than standard AA. Many standard AA-isms have been eschewed for the sake of the tone. Do keep in mind that witch trials are inherently unfair.

Author's notes are included at the bottom of the credits, but should only be read after finishing the case since they assume you've gone through the case already (the credits are already spoilery anyway).

Gameplay note: This case doesn't have any penalties, even if you make mistakes.
Spoiler : Content Warnings (contains spoilers) :
Discrimination/bigotry (sexism, racism, xenophobia), much of this is directed towards the protagonist.
Queerphobia - Particularly suspicion and hatred towards trans and gender nonconforming individuals, acephobia, and attitudes that assume a cishet default.
Portrayals of nationalism and gender essentialism
Off-screen death
Allusions to conversion therapy (not portrayed but a character is threatened with it)
Gender dysphoria
Gaslighting
Spoiler : Credits (major spoilers, don't click until you're done) :
Made by GuardianDreamer (any/all), a known fujoshi and otokonoko lover.

Beta-reader: Naomi.

Made for the Super Scary competition hosted by applekitty and eerew. Thank you to all of my fellow competitors.

Thank you to all my friends and loved ones for supporting me throughout my life.

Music sources: Berwick Saga, Vestaria Saga, Boogiepop and Others anime, Symphonic Rain, Amagami, Needy Girl Overdose, Yakuza, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, Thracia 776, Shade BGM Collection volume 2 (loading sound from volume 3), Nights of Azure.

Full music list

Introduction music: Eve on Piano (Nights of Azure)
Investigation/Forest of Witches music: Dark Side (Amagami)
???'s theme: Even Angels Get Emotional (Needy Girl Overdose)
Trial Start/Trial End: Sortie (Fire Emblem: Thracia 776)
Witness theme: Rain In My Heart (Symphonic Rain)

Testimony 1 and 2: The Great Cross Examination - Moderato (The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles)
Testimony 3: The Great Cross Examination - Allegro (The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles)
Testimony 4: The Wind Blows (Berwick Saga)
Testimony 5: For Who's Sake (Yakuza)
Dot's objection/counter themes: Fellow Soldier, Piano and 8-bit versions (Vestaria Saga)

Crime overview/Dot's thoughts: Maze (Boogiepop and Others)
Ana's truth: Track 7 (Shade BGM Collection volume 2)

A Pleasant Parting: Tender Days, 8-bit version (Vestaria Saga)
Dot's realization (the "final presents"): Nobility, Piano version (Vestaria Saga)
Character epilogue theme: No Salvation, No Angels (Needy Girl Overdose)
Credits theme: See You, Heartbreakers (Boogiepop and Others)

All sprites taken from the AA OC collection thread.
Dot and ??? sprites by SuperAj3, extra pose by Tiag.
Billy sprites by Tear.
Mateo sprites by Lind.
Ana sprites by Double KO.
Rodrigo sprites by Dypo.
Esperanza sprites by Hess.

Forest of Witches background taken from a background pack in the "Locations" thread.

List of notable influences on this work:

The Heart of Thomas
Berwick Saga
But I’m A Cheerleader
13 Sentinels
Hatoful Boyfriend
SeaBed
Live A Live
SaGa Scarlet Grace
Bakemonogatari
Boogiepop
Atelier series
Don Quijote de la Mancha
Touhou
Klonoa
The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante
Suzerain
Love and Rockets
(comic series)
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Fate/stay Night
Drakengard 3
Utawarerumono
El Laberinto Del Fauno
The Shape of Water

Author's notes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IYz ... sp=sharing
Spoiler : Walkthrough (Major Spoilers) :
Have some buffer images in case you click on this by mistake, just scroll past them for the guide.

Investigation: This is a very simple "exhaust all talk topics" type of thing.
Optional: Each profile at this point has a different reaction from Billy. Choosing to examine anywhere will give you a few options about what you want to look at.

Testimony 1: Present the Witch's profile on Mateo's last statement.
On the follow-up present, present either Billy's Notes or the Post-Mortem report.
On the follow-up present after that, again, present either Billy's Notes or the Post-Mortem report.

Testimony 2: Press Ana's seventh statement (the one about the "finishing touches"). On the new statement, present the Knife.

Testimony 3: Present the Spade on either the second or third statements.

Testimony 4: Present the "Crop Killer" on the 8th statement.

Testimony 5: Press all statements.

Present Dot's profile.
Once again, present Dot's profile.
GuardianDreamer wrote:It's about a lot of things.
Naomi wrote:YOOO
eerew wrote:has absolutely no relevance in the modern world whatsoever no sir
applekitty wrote:an experience in misery
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
eerew
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T][CE] Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio ●

Post by eerew »

This is a cool case you guys should play it...
ImageImage
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Legacy K.O.B since 2023

Proud friend of TWO ONE he/theys
Sonnie Celanna

Post by Sonnie Celanna »

One last time, for the road:

(In all seriousness though, hopefully will have time to check it out later, really curious what you cooked up!)
S. Cel :april: :pearlhappy:
Naomi*

Post by Naomi* »

This was a fab beta-test! Absolutely one of the more emotionally unique bits of AA fan content out there, and one of the most appealing short cases around, from someone whose preferences tend toward longer works. Both simultaneously totally works on its own merits, and feels like a meaningful expansion on some of the themes explored in TGAA for anyone who was across those.

Spoiler : Further recommendation context for anyone on the fence, with some minor TGAA/MM spoilers :
As far as canon AA goes, GD's work here reminds me most of TGAA1-3, but streamlines what felt like two parallel narratives into one more focused one.
Probably my favorite thing GD's released thus far; give it a shot!
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

This case made me visibly uncomfortable. I think that was the intention though...

Good work on another GD-core case GD.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
ikuzonos
Spoken languages: English, limited French

Post by ikuzonos »

This case made me cry so hard that I bawled. For multiple reasons this resonated very heavily with me, and I'm really glad that you chose to share it with everyone.
Spoiler : :
The final talk between Dot and Billy just broke me. I was so proud of myself for making it that far without crying, and then I just began sobbing on the spot. The hat... the hunting knife... Absolutely excellent work. Also, the "tight feeling" Dot describes whenever someone refers to them as a woman was extremely relatable to me. I felt that a lot growing up.
The cast was extremely well written and the story was excellent. Admittedly it was also quite painful to play because of how close to home it hit, though I think me playing so late at night definitely contributed to that lol. This is really wonderful.
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

ikuzonos wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:22 am
The final talk between Dot and Billy just broke me.
Same. This is the reason it won the award it did.
ImageImageImage
GuardianDreamer

Once again, thank you to eerew and kitty for hosting the competition this was made for, really appreciated the spark of creativity it led to since it led to a lot of different ideas in my head coming together at once. Also if anyone is curious what Sonnie's post means, it's a bit of an in-joke from the AA Case Developers Discord.
Naomi* wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:11 pm This was a fab beta-test! Absolutely one of the more emotionally unique bits of AA fan content out there, and one of the most appealing short cases around, from someone whose preferences tend toward longer works. Both simultaneously totally works on its own merits, and feels like a meaningful expansion on some of the themes explored in TGAA for anyone who was across those.

Spoiler : Further recommendation context for anyone on the fence, with some minor TGAA/MM spoilers :
As far as canon AA goes, GD's work here reminds me most of TGAA1-3, but streamlines what felt like two parallel narratives into one more focused one.
Probably my favorite thing GD's released thus far; give it a shot!
I'm flattered by the comparison, and once again, thank you for beta-testing!
Trybien wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:13 am This case made me visibly uncomfortable. I think that was the intention though...

Good work on another GD-core case GD.
Thanks for the Stream of Consciousness you posted in the AACD Discord, it was interesting seeing you react to some things. Glad that you enjoyed it and that despite the tonal difference, it's still a very GDcore story at heart.
ikuzonos wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:22 am This case made me cry so hard that I bawled. For multiple reasons this resonated very heavily with me, and I'm really glad that you chose to share it with everyone.
The final talk between Dot and Billy just broke me. I was so proud of myself for making it that far without crying, and then I just began sobbing on the spot. The hat... the hunting knife... Absolutely excellent work. Also, the "tight feeling" Dot describes whenever someone refers to them as a woman was extremely relatable to me. I felt that a lot growing up.
The cast was extremely well written and the story was excellent. Admittedly it was also quite painful to play because of how close to home it hit, though I think me playing so late at night definitely contributed to that lol. This is really wonderful.
Thank you for sharing this response with me, I'm glad that it got this reaction out of you, and I'm happy to share it with the community (though I was fairly anxious about it as well). The rest of my response is under a spoiler tag.
Spoiler : Spoilers for the entire case :
Yes, Dot and Billy's conversations were some of my favorite ones to write, and their last conversation at the end there was particularly important for me to get right. There are a lot of moments I enjoyed writing, but that conversation in particular came from the heart for me. I go into this a bit in the author's notes, but I really wanted to write characters that I also want to see and Dot and Billy are very much that (along with the Witch, though they don't get much screentime). I'm glad that you enjoyed that character moment so much, it really makes me happy.

And yes, I'm well-aware that the subject matter probably makes this a very tough story to get through for some (it was tough to write as well), but I hope that it resonates with people and that people see it through to the ending. Once again, I'm very flattered by the feedback.
applekitty wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:18 pm
ikuzonos wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:22 am
The final talk between Dot and Billy just broke me.
Same. This is the reason it won the award it did.
And thank you very much for that award, I was curious which exact moment you were referring to. Now I know for sure.
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Make My Life Worse
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio.

Major spoilers below.
Spoiler : Actual Thoughts :
This is going to be something of a ramble because I am rather emotionally triggered mostly for unrelated reasons but also this struck a chord with me in a few ways and was viscerally uncomfortable. That is a compliment for this case -- that was clearly the intended effect, and it worked brilliantly.

GD, you did so much in this case, and if my body would let me cry right now, I would be. This was phenomenal. It hit me in the f-ing gut. I don't know how you handled all the characters SO WELL, but it shows you have a better understanding of the world than I. This was such a wise work.

Overall, this felt hugely parallel to the real world, particularly I feel with Latine Catholic intonations. (I only have secondhand experience with Latine Catholic communities and values, so my reference box isn't brimming, but genuinely -- given the stuff I've seen, whether subtle or unsubtle, this seems so accurate to the subtext I've perceived from those communities that I am 98% certain a lot of this comes from personal experience. (I'm stopping that comment there out of respect for GD's privacy, whether my speculation is correct or not. The point is that this felt both powerful and real.)

Having been surrounded by Latine communities throughout my life (I live in Southern California, so no surprise), and picked up on some cultural knowledge during my 6-7 years learning Spanish, the setting felt akin to, well, exactly what it was: a small village with a power imbalance between church officials and average laborers, with connection to the church offering power, wealth, and prestige at the cost of assimilation for those who rose the ranks. The wealthy oppress the poor and the marginalized; the poor try to oppress the marginalized among them. The poor and the marginalized either accept their place and live in stasis, try to rise up the ladder that so few successfully climb, fight for justice, or escape. That's just the way of the world.

There's a certain paranoia that this case induces even in those "based" people like us who know that Dot isn't crazy or a witch or anything like that. Because that's what gaslighting does to you -- even if you know you're right about the key matter, you question everything else:
Why is everyone so against me? Why is the cleaner being so nice to me while she condemns me? Why is she trying to butter up the bishop? Does she actually believe I'm a witch? Why is she justifying killing the victim? Why is everyone so forgiving of her for this? Why is the prosecutor able to keep badgering me like this? Why is everyone just accepting his crazy arguments? Why is the bishop allowing everybody to behave like this but ignoring half of everything I say? Why is she acting like she actually cares? Why did she argue in my favor just now? Does she actually care?
etc, etc, etc.

But it doesn't matter. Nothing you think matters, and nothing you do matters. And yet, simultaneously, everything you do matters. Because you can't get yourself out of this predicament, but your actions have the power to dictate whether you survive it or not. The only one you can rely on is yourself -- even your friends can't help you, because they literally do not have the power to. It's a cruel world; the intentions of others mean nothing, your own intentions mean nothing. Even your own actions barely mean anything, but they're all you have. That's what oppression is. It's powerlessness. It's pain, it's suffering, it's complacence, it's acceptance of the unacceptable.
Even within this story -- the story of the one person who made it out, and not with any help of the system -- Dot only managed to escape the trial without a guilty verdict because the witnesses misplayed their cards. Because Dot was perceptive, "exceptional" enough to strategize a losing court battle with no lawyer and no co-counsel. There were so many others like them, without the same skills, and without a friend in the village guard, who just had no way to win -- or draw, as Dot did.
There is so much fear in a society like that. And societies like that are still real today -- closer to home than you may imagine. They're everywhere.

There's paranoia on the parts of the oppressors too -- in this case, I believe it's the reason I draw the comparison between this case's setting and real-life Latine communities (it's always possible I'm wrong, so GD can correct/be upset at me if I'm misinformed). I've noticed that in Latine Catholic communities there tends to be this sort of... not always righteous anger in the same way that extremist American Evangelicals like to use to punish people for misbehaving, but also this fear of being punished if they tread down the wrong path. (Keep in mind: I'm observing a pattern, not drawing a blanket conclusion.) The sentiment feels more like "I know what's best for you" and "I know how to keep you safe" than "do as I say because that's what I want you to do" -- even if the latter is functionally the result. It's authoritarian, yes, but specifically an authoritarian form of overprotectiveness. Rodrigo is more authoritarian, Esperanza is more overprotective, both are paranoid, both are oppressive assholes.

There's a "machismo" I notice to Rodrigo and Mateo. They both seem dead set on countering everything Dot says, even the most minor details, to prove they're right. To prove they're stronger than her. To prove their worth, their pride, and in it their masculinity. All of Rodrigo's comments about women's place in society and their emotions just show how much of a superiority complex he has developed because of this mindset. Mateo doubles down so hard on his belief that Dot and their lookalike could never do anything kind for him that he burns down his crops and dies of starvation. That is the extent of his righteousness.
Meanwhile, the women -- Ana and Esperanza -- are more uncertain, more fearful, but nonetheless still determined to vanquish the evil despite its unknown significance. They lean towards assuming guilt and killing suspects because that's "safer" than letting a potentially guilty person walk free. The price of human lives literally means nothing to them if they feel like they could've protected others by ending them, even though "could've" can be said about anybody's death. Unlike the men, Rodrigo and Mateo, they express kindness to Dot, but that's where it stops. Once Dot disagrees with them, they show sternness, coldness, ambivalence, and fear. Their kindness was superficial, and they have no empathy for him. They only have concern for their own safety -- in the way that a lot of real-life Catholics try to prevent their children from sinning, whether it is God or la llorona that will punish them, whether it is for homosexuality or for wandering off in the dark. If someone is a sinner -- if their safety is to be questioned by that person's sin -- they will cast that person away if they feel like they have to. They will convince themselves that paranoia is the safest option, that vigilance and rigidity will save them from harm.

(Again, patterns and socialization, not rigid facts. This is how I believe these characters have been socialized to think, in a similar way to real life, not how I believe all or most real-life Latine people will behave depending on their gender/sex/religion.)

None of these people have empathy for Dot. Dot is an outsider to all of them -- to the men with power because they are different and wrong and should be punished, to the women with usually less power because they are dangerous and will harm their sacred, uptight community. But Dot is neither man nor woman, and has no power. They aren't worth true consideration to the powerful, other than for the performative purpose of offering them some basic human rights that aren't even properly delivered. Their oppressors want to pleasure themselves (I would've used a more obscene phrase, but AAO rules) by exercising their power over this societally weaker individual.

This hit very close to home, because although I am privileged enough to mostly have the financial resources I need (the main exception to this is major but not relevant), I have been treated like this all my life. Lutheran middle school + clergy, traditional and abusive parents, abusive friends, just general assholes that think I'm crazy for being XYZ and allowing myself to authentically be that...
And so often in my life, these very same people that have treated me like total garbage and made my life a living hell in the emotional sense constantly assume my bad intentions in the same way that Dot and their doppelganger's intent is assumed to be malicious even when it undeniably proves not to be. Mateo's epilogue proves that. But nothing will convince these people -- they are so stubborn that they are right and Dot is wrong and Dot deserves punishment for being wrong even when the thing they consider "wrong" on Dot's behalf is literally inconsequential.

I want to emphasize the interactions between Dot and Ana Domingo, who was most definitely my favorite character in terms of the nuanced position she found herself in and the themes explored within her. Ana was a victim of the society she lived in, but she caved and perpetuated that abuse in the same way many people do in real life, whether it be societal oppression or sexual, physical, or mental/emotional abuse. Perpetuators of this type are in a lot of pain from the suffering they are laden with, and before they begin to perpetuate, it is both needed and intuitive to sympathize with them even for those who have no idea what they are going through.
But Ana took a life. She did it out of paranoia, but it is so difficult to express sympathy for someone who deludes themself into committing the most capital crime there is for no justifiable reason. And after she did it, she lied about it multiple times, tried to cater good will out of her oppressors by acting against someone with less power than her, and then used her crime to make herself look good to those oppressors, because she was acting in their interests. She benefitted them. So she won -- at the expense of what would've been Dot's death or eternal suffering if it wasn't for a few lucky stars.
I was extremely, extremely torn about Ana. I still am. I struggle with nuance in people, in social interactions; it's part of my autism, it's part of my borderline symptoms. But I just can't bring myself to judge her as an evildoer or try to justify her actions, and I believe the narrative -- while rightfully condemning her -- doesn't do either of these things. I don't believe it should, either, but it could be argued I'm speaking from a small pedestal when I say that. She was... an unfortunate product of her circumstances, and she couldn't win out in the fight against her fears. I don't believe her to have ill intent. But she broke during a traumatic moment, and acted on that trauma in a way that caused even worse trauma to others.
Her ending is befitting of such a "broken" individual. Living a life that would be assumed to make one happy, but clearly being out of the picture, clearly dealing with something that couldn't possibly be understood by any of the friendly strangers in her shop. All dressed up and nowhere to go, living in turmoil for the rest of her life because her trauma was too much... that is an emotional experience I painfully identify with. The pain of being delivered so many blows, then forced into a situation where you could potentially do the same or worse to somebody, or live in fear for the rest of your life... there's so much palpable terror within her. And she caved to it -- she made the wrong decision.
Disappearing seemed... like the "right" ending for her. She started as an unknown -- for Dot, who failed to read her intentions, for herself, who didn't know what to think, for the inquisitors, whom she desperately tried to please -- and she ended as an unknown. I feel pity for her, and empathy too, but I also feel pain because of her actions, because of what she did to Dot, because of the life she took.
I can't end my thoughts on her on a definitive note. All I can say is that even though I was going in with the impression that there wouldn't be a "horror" feel to this case, Ana's confession (with great help from the music) made me feel genuine terror. Because the feelings her confession invoked in me were real fear, real distrust, and real pain -- not just simulated. I cannot recall having that raw or genuine of a fear response to any other fictional work in a long time (though I may be forgetting).

The other characters all filled their roles beautifully, and I have no criticisms against any of their narrative roles. I just have to also give you special praise for Esperanza, who has a very fitting name -- meaning "hope" (and her last name meaning "fighter") -- because despite representing everything opposite of what her name does, her decisions allowed Dot to escape instead of being sentenced to death... to fight with hope. And, fittingly, her life was ended by hopeful fighters whose efforts she extinguished with hellfire.
The amount of confusion behind her intentions -- why in the world she allowed Dot to present the fertilizer, and why in the world she accepted Dot's claims, despite clearly being very biased against them and siding with the prosecution the majority of the time -- and the unending questions one could delve into in trying to understand them is beautiful. Dot themself said that they wondered, but didn't want to know; I believe that was the best thing for them to do about her. Because it doesn't matter what her intentions were -- it only mattered whether she listened to Dot or not. Thankfully, she listened enough not to end another innocent person's life, even if she still upheld a disgusting system in not doing so the other 80% of the time.

The only criticism I have is a small one: some of the language used in regards to queerness in character dialogue (not the epilogues) was a bit direct to me, given the implied time period. This didn't seem like a time period where someone would say "she/her pronouns" in a sentence (even in a dream).
However -- and this is a big however -- I recognize that this may be coming from some internalized transphobia/cringe culture on my part, and/or this may be an extension of a bias I have that skews away from saying "I use she/they pronouns" in favor of "I go by 'she' and 'they'" because that feels more conversational to me. I personally feel like it would be more natural to skew into the latter, especially in a time period where it seems all the various forms of queerness weren't accepted enough to have widely known ways of talking about them, but your mileage may vary and I could also just be wrong or lacking historical information.
All in all, GD, you've wowed me, and unless I play another case that I love even more than this, I think this was easily a first-place entry. And I'd argue that in some ways, it was relevant to BOTH applications of the Super Scary comp theme, not just the "Halloween/witchcraft" one.

I say this despite knowing it may come off as passive-aggressive: I sincerely hope your case gets Q/A reviewed, and I sincerely hope your case gets Q/A reviewed, and featured, by someone who will understand the pain and feelings expressed in it.
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
GuardianDreamer

Thank you very much Ashley, I'm very very very flattered and kind of stunned at how in-depth you went. For now I'll just comment on a few things.
Spoiler : Full case spoilers :
Yes, I'm aware that some of the language used is probably a bit weird considering the time period. That said, it's something I thought a lot about. In-universe these characters would be speaking Spanish, and not only that they'd be speaking an older version of Spanish that I'd have a hard time speaking myself (I've tried reading literature published even just a few centuries ago in Spanish, it's a time). I thought for a long while about how to "translate" that before deciding that it wasn't the kind of writing I wanted to go for, so instead I went with something that felt right to me. Dot's a very casual sort of person anyway which helped. That said your feedback regarding this is something I'll keep in mind in case I ever write another sort-of period piece again.

About Ana - I go into this a bit the author's notes, but I wanted the reader to feel very conflicted about her so I'm glad that it succeeded. She's very much an example of a character whose concept changed for the better and where limitations made me get more creative, since my original concept for her was a lot more clearly a villain. I think this messy version of her works better. And yes, my goal for her confession was to ideally make the player feel at least a bit uncomfortable, very much the opposite of AA where confessions feel satisfactory, or at least like some kind of catharsis even in cases where the culprit is sympathetic. I have to thank Naomi for helping me out with this part, because originally the music came in at an awkward time and I think that her suggestions for how to improve the flow/timing really helped sell the moment more.

There's this one specific part where Dot wonders what the trial would have looked like if it had been conducted years ago, with the implication being the past!Dot probably isn't as "tough" as current Dot is. And how Dot kind of hates that they "need" to be strong, because they shouldn't have to be "tough" just to survive. That part is one I really wanted to include and hope that people ponder about, at least a little bit.

Also don't worry, nothing you wrote rubbed me the wrong way or assumed too much about my own experiences. I will say that I put some of myself in every story I write, though obviously how public or private I decide to be about that varies.
Make My Life Worse
Defend Him, Not Me!
My Twitter is here
risefromtheashes
Spoken languages: English, Russian, Armenian, Spanish

Post by risefromtheashes »

GuardianDreamer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:23 am Thank you very much Ashley, I'm very very very flattered and kind of stunned at how in-depth you went. For now I'll just comment on a few things.
Spoiler : Full case spoilers :
Yes, I'm aware that some of the language used is probably a bit weird considering the time period. That said, it's something I thought a lot about. In-universe these characters would be speaking Spanish, and not only that they'd be speaking an older version of Spanish that I'd have a hard time speaking myself (I've tried reading literature published even just a few centuries ago in Spanish, it's a time). I thought for a long while about how to "translate" that before deciding that it wasn't the kind of writing I wanted to go for, so instead I went with something that felt right to me. Dot's a very casual sort of person anyway which helped. That said your feedback regarding this is something I'll keep in mind in case I ever write another sort-of period piece again.
Noted, and all good. Makes a bit more sense now with the way you explained it, and considering that this was also anglicized in the first place. I think doing things the way you would talk was a fine decision, it just didn't feel very natural to me in some of those parts.
Oh, yeah: (editing this in) I think the way you used that language -- and I should've said this earlier -- even though it was awkward for me in the narrative, it's helping me become a little bit more comfortable around talking about queer issues directly. I sometimes do feel a bit too obligated to avoid using the word "pronouns" in a sentence just because not everyone will understand what I mean, so even though I do use my conversational phrasing for ease of access, it's not like people don't know what pronouns are and I don't HAVE to stick to it all the time.

About Ana - I go into this a bit the author's notes, but I wanted the reader to feel very conflicted about her so I'm glad that it succeeded. She's very much an example of a character whose concept changed for the better and where limitations made me get more creative, since my original concept for her was a lot more clearly a villain. I think this messy version of her works better. And yes, my goal for her confession was to ideally make the player feel at least a bit uncomfortable, very much the opposite of AA where confessions feel satisfactory, or at least like some kind of catharsis even in cases where the culprit is sympathetic. I have to thank Naomi for helping me out with this part, because originally the music came in at an awkward time and I think that her suggestions for how to improve the flow/timing really helped sell the moment more.
Naomi's help was great; the music came in at the perfect timing and absolutely sold the entire scene. And I'm glad you had such a nuanced character as Ana, because holy SH** did she just feel so powerful and conflicting. She's really a great example of how you don't need to make a case/work very long for it to be impactful.

There's this one specific part where Dot wonders what the trial would have looked like if it had been conducted years ago, with the implication being the past!Dot probably isn't as "tough" as current Dot is. And how Dot kind of hates that they "need" to be strong, because they shouldn't have to be "tough" just to survive. That part is one I really wanted to include and hope that people ponder about, at least a little bit.
I believe I glanced over that; I'm currently in a bit of a haze so even though I was full-on hyperfixated on this case while playing it, I wasn't processing ABSOLUTELY everything (either that or I just missed it/didn't see the right dialogue). This resounds very strongly in me though, because I am in the same predicament in my real life. I ALWAYS have to be the resilient one because I am currently -- outside of my therapist and friends (who have no direct influence over my school/work/living situation) -- my only consistent supporter. Authority figures in my life, outside of high school and college professors, have consistently and majorly failed me, whether with good intentions or not. My parents minimize me and reduce my autonomy. So even though I'm not experiencing full societal oppression in the way a lot of even-less-fortunate trans/queer people do, I face a lot of the consequences of being "different" -- both in the queer sense directly and in the mental health sense -- and it is painful how much I have to be strong in order to be considered worthwhile, and any weakness, illogical behaviors, or frustration is taken as a reason to cast me away, even though I am also just a human doing their best.
Point is, this is a very accurate sentiment in all the ways. Good job.

Also don't worry, nothing you wrote rubbed me the wrong way or assumed too much about my own experiences. I will say that I put some of myself in every story I write, though obviously how public or private I decide to be about that varies.
I do this too. I respect you for your bluntness and authenticity; I'm trying to do the same in my writing. You are inspiring.
And I'm glad none of my comments (ESPECIALLY the stuff about Latine culture, since I've only observed that and haven't reeeeally directly participated, at least in major ways) rubbed you the wrong way -- I put a lot of care into them and made sure to be dialectical (in the DBT/therapy way, not the Scientology way) about my phrasing, but my observations could always be flawed, as could my conclusions.
Responses in blue.
I am sending you so much love, friend.
The Mindcastle System
(Don't know what a system is? Play 6-4, and take a look here.)
----------
OUR CASES:
- Athena Cykes ~ Locks on the Heart (synopsis)
- May Your Memory Be a Blessing
- A Little Piece of Healing
- The Killer Turnabout (~70% complete!)
- I guess we made the Looking Back case comp ceremony with Super legenda, but that's not an actual case

----------
Check out our music & art thread here!
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

I played this in one sitting. Here are my thoughts:
I thought overall this was a very compelling story.
It re-evoked my anxieties of being non-binary, and especially the discomfort in being accepted in general society for it. This very much played out as a 'worst fears' type situation for someone coming to terms with their identity, and I appreciate the protagonist keeping a level head throughout the story.
The ending was a little cliche, and I get the appeal of 'the bad ones had it coming to them', but IDK I'm too much of a pacifist to see people die for their sins and not learn from them. I guess it's pretty apt to real life though.

I think something like this, if people ever want to learn more about queer history, can look into (particularly in the US) the Stonewall protest, or even watch the documentary 'Paris is Burning' to see where LGBTQ+ identities and rights were, compared to now.
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
GuardianDreamer

Hi hello AJ, here's a sort of response (more like me rambling about something vaguely related).
Spoiler : MM Full Case Spoilers :
You'll notice that there are two Guillermo del Toro films in my list of inspirations. Del Toro has this thing where he's very fascinated by the "other" that I deeply appreciate, and with portraying "sympathetic monsters" in general while portraying the typical "hero" as the actual monster. The Shape of Water is the movie that I think is most obvious about this and that you can find most thinkpieces about due to how popular it was, but it's in his other works too. In The Shape of Water in particular, there's a lot of commentary about how both the literal monster in it and the minorities in the film are othered and treated sympathetically by the narrative (and how "monsters" and "minorities" are often treated as one and the same throughout fiction), while their oppressors, who should usually be viewed as the typical "hero" against the monster, are shown to be truly awful (the movie sort of being a retelling of another movie that flips the sympathies also helps, but I'm rambling and getting way off-track at that point).

This is something I sort of wanted to dig into, hence Dot sort of metaphorically becoming the "monster" at the end of the story by taking on the identity of the Doting Witch and accepting that their gender identity is more complex than they thought (vanishing into the Forest of Witches and then re-emerging years later). Of course, I put "monster" in quotes for a reason, since Dot (as well as Billy and the Witch) are sympathetic characters and like Guillermo del Toro, my "monster" is the hero. I don't usually do the full karmic justice thing in terms of character endings myself, though playing it mostly straight felt like a nice subversion of expectations since I think a lot of stories like Dot's end very tragically and I liked this ending much more as a writer. I say "mostly" because there's still a character like the Witch, who dies pretty unfairly in my opinion (of course I'm biased since the Witch is my favorite character, something I don't expect a lot of people to share considering they show up for like two scenes).

It's funny, I was actually very worried about how people would react to the ending because I thought people might think it's too bold/blatant, but I suppose that's just my own thoughts and other people might view it differently.

It's not in my list of inspirations, but I also point to stuff like My Favorite Thing Is Monsters (a graphic novel) as something that goes for something similar to what I was going for. Also pointing that one out as something by another Latine creator that I found really interesting, really want to highlight those.

Once again, thank you for making the sprites I used from the OC Collection. Genuinely struggled to find sprites that matched my vision of Dot and the Witch, and yours were perfect and really made this story possible to tell.
Make My Life Worse
Defend Him, Not Me!
My Twitter is here
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

GuardianDreamer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:39 pm Hi hello AJ, here's a sort of response (more like me rambling about something vaguely related).
You'll notice that there are two Guillermo del Toro films in my list of inspirations. Del Toro has this thing where he's very fascinated by the "other" that I deeply appreciate, and with portraying "sympathetic monsters" in general while portraying the typical "hero" as the actual monster. The Shape of Water is the movie that I think is most obvious about this and that you can find most thinkpieces about due to how popular it was, but it's in his other works too. In The Shape of Water in particular, there's a lot of commentary about how both the literal monster in it and the minorities in the film are othered and treated sympathetically by the narrative (and how "monsters" and "minorities" are often treated as one and the same throughout fiction), while their oppressors, who should usually be viewed as the typical "hero" against the monster, are shown to be truly awful (the movie sort of being a retelling of another movie that flips the sympathies also helps, but I'm rambling and getting way off-track at that point).

This is something I sort of wanted to dig into, hence Dot sort of metaphorically becoming the "monster" at the end of the story by taking on the identity of the Doting Witch and accepting that their gender identity is more complex than they thought (vanishing into the Forest of Witches and then re-emerging years later). Of course, I put "monster" in quotes for a reason, since Dot (as well as Billy and the Witch) are sympathetic characters and like Guillermo del Toro, my "monster" is the hero. I don't usually do the full karmic justice thing in terms of character endings myself, though playing it mostly straight felt like a nice subversion of expectations since I think a lot of stories like Dot's end very tragically and I liked this ending much more as a writer. I say "mostly" because there's still a character like the Witch, who dies pretty unfairly in my opinion (of course I'm biased since the Witch is my favorite character, something I don't expect a lot of people to share considering they show up for like two scenes).

It's funny, I was actually very worried about how people would react to the ending because I thought people might think it's too bold/blatant, but I suppose that's just my own thoughts and other people might view it differently.

It's not in my list of inspirations, but I also point to stuff like My Favorite Thing Is Monsters (a graphic novel) as something that goes for something similar to what I was going for. Also pointing that one out as something by another Latine creator that I found really interesting, really want to highlight those.

Once again, thank you for making the sprites I used from the OC Collection. Genuinely struggled to find sprites that matched my vision of Dot and the Witch, and yours were perfect and really made this story possible to tell.
Interesting to read!
To clarify, I meant more the judge being burned and prosecutor dying in his cell that was the cliche stuff, like "they were still assholes to the end and died as a result".

I enjoyed Dot's portrayal and could understand her ending there. She felt liberated in embracing the "other" rather than choosing to be forced into being female-presenting to save her life.
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

SuperAj3 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:10 pm
GuardianDreamer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:39 pm Hi hello AJ, here's a sort of response (more like me rambling about something vaguely related).

Interesting to read!
To clarify, I meant more the judge being burned and prosecutor dying in his cell that was the cliche stuff, like "they were still assholes to the end and died as a result".

I enjoyed Dot's portrayal and could understand her ending there. She felt liberated in embracing the "other" rather than choosing to be forced into being female-presenting to save her life.
Kind of wanted to share my thoughts a bit.
While on the surface I get its a cliche, but I feel like the reason kinda comes down to the ahistorical fiction genre. The judge and Rodrigo both being radical believers of ideologies that was losing favor with the public due to their own extremist actions. The sorts of trauma and pain they caused only naturally leads to an equal and opposite reaction where those they hurt would be more than willing to enact the same.

And given the themes GD explored in this how systemic oppression leads to corrupted worldviews and contradictory behaviour, I feel as though some of the horror of this world would have been lost if they either changed their ways or got off easy.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition