TICKING TIME BOMB

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

TimeAxis
Spoken languages: English

Re: TICKING TIME BOMB

Post by TimeAxis »

Trucy's Magic Catastrophe
by Sonnie Celanna and DeathByAutoscroll
Spoiler : Screenshot :
That's the worst kind of important.
Spoiler : Completion Time :
20:35
Spoiler : Synopsis :
A Trucy Christmas Magic show spirals into chaos after someone is mistakenly given a gift that's to die for.
Spoiler : Review :
STORY
The story of this case felt complete, if a little rushed. There were some minor leaps in logic, and overall it felt a little fanservicey (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but it was fun, and kept me interested the whole time. I have no real complaints about the writing. Was generally good the whole time. If you're curious what I mean by leaps of logic, this is what I'm talking about:
Spoiler : Spoilers :
hearing "someone with blue hair" and immediately assuming "must be talking about Vera. Surely nobody else in the world exists with blue hair"
Very minor, and excusable given the overall tone of the case.

CHARACTERS
All the characters felt in-character and were portrayed well. This felt like it could have been a canon short story that might show up in an Ace Attorney drama CD or something.

PRESENTATION
Presentation was great. There were some custom investigation backgrounds that were well done, and everybody's sprites and everything displayed without issue. No issues in terms of sound or music as well. Overall it felt very polished.

GAMEPLAY
There was no real gameplay aside from a couple examination scenes without much in the way of optional dialogue. I only found one present option that actually did anything. But it was clearly meant to be a more "kinetic novel" experience rather than gameplay being a focus. I still think there could have been a bit of room to have the player figure some things out rather than the characters immediately figuring them out, but the lack of gameplay didn't detract from anything.

THEME RELEVANCE
In addition to being a very short story, the story itself did a great job of making the stakes feel urgent. I don't think I could have asked for better theme relevance than this. Nailed it.
Spoiler : Overall :
PROS
  • Great story and presentation, felt like it could be canon.
  • Perfect theme relevance.
  • Filled with AA4 fanservice (which may be a con if you're not a big fan of Apollo Justice)
CONS
  • Some minor leaps in logic
Oh, and quoting this for visibility since it was on the last page:
Oh, I forgot to mention, if anyone wants to whip up a 30-second teaser for their case for use in the Award Ceremony, feel free to send it to me. Can just be in writing or whatever you want to do. We’ll make it work. Also, you might end up having less time to do that than you'd think.
Question Arcs (Threads Coming Eventually)
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attornauts
The Curious Case of the Phantom Limousine (Coming Eventually)
The Imposter's Turnabout (Coming Maybe)
applekitty

Post by applekitty »

Good luck to everyone! I'm sure all these reviews will be interesting.
ImageImageImage
XavierWright

Post by XavierWright »

Yeah, likewise, good luck everybody.
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Instead of wishing good luck to everyone, I am only going to wish good luck to the judges. They are going to need it knowing this community.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
eerew

Post by eerew »

Trybien wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:14 pm Instead of wishing good luck to everyone, I am only going to wish good luck to the judges. They are going to need it knowing this community.
Yeah. We're kindaaaa crazy :D (just ignore us! :P)
ImageImage
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Legacy K.O.B since 2023

Proud friend of TWO ONE he/theys

Real Women
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

Turnabout Reformation
by XavierWright
In other news, it's a day that ends in Y.
1:29:56
In a slightly different Ace Attorney AU, a new recruit is scouted for the Wright Anything Agency, and his first case is to defend Maya Fey on murder charges.
STORY
I wouldn't say the story of this case was anything special. It borrowed a lot from existing Ace Attorney cases, but with some interesting twists. However, I do think it came together well. The mystery was very simple, but it did the job. On the whole, I quite enjoyed it.

CHARACTERS
This case featured many Ace Attorney characters, and for the most part I think they were well written in a way that was true to their characters (except in instances where they were intentionally meant to deviate due to AU stuff.) But at the same time, a couple characters kind of just felt like they were there to be there, and didn't really bring anything of value to the story. There was one really cool moment where you got to feel what it's like to be on the other side of Phoenix's magatama. It would have been cool if they'd done more with that.

This case did have some original characters as well, but only one of them particularly stood out, and that's the protagonist. "Benjamin Tennyson" was really the star of the show and the best part of this case. Isn't that a cartoon character's name, by the way? I never watched Ben10 so I don't know, but it sounds familiar. (Fun tangent, but I once interned at an animation studio, and one of the veterans working there commented that one of my drawings looked "very Ben10" and I asked what that was, and they got very offended and went on a loud rant about how I don't know cartoons) Anyway, he was characterized really well, and went through a nice, short, well written character arc. Overall I liked the protagonist a lot.

PRESENTATION
Aside from a few minor bugs (during one part of the investigation, the wrong background shows up when you investigate), the presentation was all great. Use of custom graphics for original characters was on point, and everything flowed well and looked and sounded good. The music choices at some points were also pretty nice touches as well.

GAMEPLAY
There were two main parts to the gameplay, the investigation, and the trial. Gameplay-wise, I wasn't a big fan of the investigation. There weren't really many optional present dialogues, and the one part where you had to investigate a scene basically felt like a pixel-hunt where clicking 90% of the screen resulted in "nothing here", but a few pixels here and there would give you evidence that was required to proceed. I felt like I combed over the whole screen and had to consult the walkthrough, but the parts to investigate did feel a bit more obvious in retrospect. I just wish there was more to the room besides "nothing here" everywhere, and maybe the hitboxes could have been more forgiving, because I'm pretty sure I examined one of them and maybe it just wasn't in the right order or something, but it didn't count. Anyway, it wasn't a huge deal, just a minor grievance.

The trial was fun though. The present options made sense, and the logic was easy to follow. I'd almost say it might be too easy (it basically boiled down to "present the most obvious evidence, and accuse the most obvious suspect"), but I didn't really mind. It was trying to stay short, after all. There were also some fun alternate answers to pick here and there. There was also an alternate ending which was really cool.

THEME RELEVANCE
Here's where I'd say this case was the weakest. And no, it's not because it took me an hour and a half to beat. That's still within case 1-1 range, barely. As far as keeping the case short goes, while some parts did meander a bit (it took the case explicitly pointing out how short it was for me to realize "oh, that's what they're going for"), it mostly achieved the goal of being a short, self-contained story. It makes me think they probably had the basic idea for this case planned from the beginning but then attached a lot of fat to it that could have potentially used some trimming, but in the end, the length wasn't really an issue.

But there were two parts to the theme. Making a short case, and making sure there's a sense of "urgency" to it. And in this case, nothing felt urgent at all. Not only do things happen at a leisurely pace, but it actually kind of feels like there are no stakes to this case whatsoever. The alternate ending tells us what happens if we fail, and it's effectively nothing. Going with the analogy of feeling like defusing a ticking time bomb, it felt more like the bomb was in the middle of nowhere and wasn't threatening anybody, and there was a bomb squad ready to defuse it anyway, so you didn't really need to do anything, and it also wasn't really on a timer.

That being said, there are narrative reasons for that lack of urgency, and it makes sense from a characterization perspective. If it were outside the context of this competition, I wouldn't have an issue with it, but it unfortunately doesn't really fit the theme very well. I did still really like the story though.
PROS
  • Good characterization for protagonist
  • Short, simple mystery with easy to follow logic
CONS
  • Logic might be a bit too easy to follow
  • No real sense of urgency
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Spoiler : :
I can't believe you don't recognize western anime icon Ben Ten.

The real crime is that the animator veteran didn't realise Ben Ten is very anime adjacent aesthetic-wise.
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

It seems we’ve found a survivor among the wreckage. BannedFrom7 and Batman129 have submitted their entry within the 24h grace period.
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Turnabout Reformation
by XavierWright
Who's Steve Jobs?
Spoiler : Audio Review Transcription :
It started when a lawyer's badge did what it did
And stuck itself upon his lapel with secrets that it hid
Now he's got lawyer powers, he's no ordinary kid
He's Ben 22! (Ben 22)

So if you see him you might be in for a big surprise
He'll turn into a lawyer before your very eyes
He's snarky, angsty, nervous and strong, he's just one shape and size
He's Ben 22! (Ben 22)

Armed with shouting, he's on the case
Fighting off prosecutors from rookie to ace
He'll never stop 'till he makes them pay
'Cause he's the baddest lawyer to ever save the day
Ben 22! (Ben 22!)

Where’s Grandpa Max I miss him.
Story: The last hype shot that XavierWright posted for this case was one that revealed that the protagonist’s name is Ben Tennyson, which led to the immediate thought of: wait, am I supposed to be a Ben 10 lore expert for this case? I’m not a Ben 10 lore expert. There’s like ten different versions of the cartoon, which one is this. Should I rely on my vague memories of the cartoons I watched when I was younger? Do I hit up the YouTubers for this series who probably exist? I watched some videos by a YouTuber named Billiam covering a lot of this, should I rewatch those. Do I start from the beginning. Do I read the comics? The newest cartoon? Is it time to read every single piece of fanfiction out there? … So anyway don’t worry about that, if I’m correct then this version of Ben Tennyson seems to be an alternate universe version of Ben who’s become a lawyer (a different type of crime-fighter), mixed with the character of Apollo Justice (some lines are very deliberately lines that Apollo himself said in canon). Most of the actual Ben 10 stuff seems to be a few references here and there to a character from the franchise and I wasn’t very lost despite my rudimentary Ben 10 knowledge. I can’t be sure exactly why XavierWright decided to go with this approach other than “why not”, which I can personally vibe with. Yeah, why not do an alternate version of a character you presumably like and put them in Ace Attorney? If it works then it works.

The canon characters are written fine, with some on the weaker end and some on the stronger end. Personally speaking, I liked Xavier’s writing for Ema, but found that the banter between Trucy and Ben wasn’t my cup of tea. I think a lot of this has to do with how Ben is very deliberately meant to take on Apollo’s role so I can’t help but compare it to the banter between Apollo and Trucy which I consider super strong. In my original version of the synopsis before I replaced it with whatever it is I made I mentioned that this case is set in an alternate universe. I won’t get into the details much since I’m not sure how much XavierWright wants to reveal, but I will say that I found the idea of the AU charming, if a bit unexplored (it feels like more stories could be set in it, if XavierWright wants to make them). That said, I think it’s currently in a weird state: I liked the ideas of the story, but couldn’t help but feel like they may have been rushed to try to better suit the comp theme. I’m very glad it was submitted for the comp, but I do wonder what this case would be like if it could take its time more. (I'm of two minds about this where I don't know if I wish this case was more urgent to better fit the comp, or could take its time to explore its concept more, some more detailed ramblings in the Theme Relevance section)

Presentation: This case uses mainly a mixture of canon AA characters with a few OCs thrown in there who use sprites from the AA OC Collection thread (and also Ben Tennyson is here who XavierWright totally owns I bet). It’s all generally fairly fitting, with some minor presentational hiccups here and there. Generally pretty fine and standard stuff. However, I have one admittedly subjective complaint: The shaking effect is very very overused in this case during the trial part. It’s used so often that I have to wonder if it’s just XavierWright’s preference (similar to how I prefer to keep effects to a minimum or not use them), in which case fair enough, but I found it really distracting and off-putting myself. I’d suggest toning it down, though that’s just one opinion. (Future GD note: I went back and took a look at another XavierWright case, The Strange Case of the Turnabout, and found that it had a similar usage of the shaking effect during its trial part but the amount of times here is still much higher. I’d personally tone it down myself, though I fully admit this is a preference thing and I won’t count it against the case)

Gameplay: Turnabout Reformation follows a fairly standard one day investigation/one day trial structure, though the investigation is very linear and doesn’t have much in the way of optional content (I understand if XavierWright doesn't want to, but I'd recommend throwing in some profile presents for flavor myself). For the most part, I found the case to be on the easier side, with the contradictions generally being clear and the multiple-choice questions usually having obvious wrong meme answers interspersed with the only option that makes actual sense. One strange thing I noted is that while the case does have penalties, there’s no actual standard game over sequence, so if you run out of health you’re still effectively immortal and the trial continues. I wasn’t sure if XavierWright intended that or not, but it did lead to some slight presentational weirdness. What’s here is mostly fine, though while the contradictions were fairly simple to solve I found some of the logic to sort of jump the gun a lot of the time. Still, what’s here works for what it is.

Theme Relevance: Unfortunately, this is sort of a weak point for the case. I took well over thirty minutes to reach an ending, and I didn’t find there to be much of a sense of urgency. I'm not even sure if one could finish it in under 30 minutes while rushing. There is one OC (Rosemary Thyme going on another adventure to embody a different OC) who does talk about not wanting her time to be wasted, but that’s about it for theme relevance. I think that the main issue is that while Ben has his own stuff going on, he never really feels like he’s in a rush to me since a lot of the canon cast are personally connected to the trial, but he’s more distant from it (his character arc isn't completely separate from the trial, but it is still kind of its own thing). I think rather than trying to make the case shorter to meet the time limit, I’d have preferred for Ben to feel like he was in more of a hurry. It’s possible that just contradicts what you wanted to do with him though.

Overall: A case with a lot of interesting ideas that isn't afraid to say "why not", I feel like with a bit of extra polish it could stand as its own neat little AU. I'm unsure of how much it appeals to Ben 10 fans since I'm not deeply invested in that franchise, but I'm sure the references to it will make them happy too.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

The Golden Turnabout
by Ashuramage
No, the title isn't an Umineko reference. At least I don't think so.
40:54
In the land of Labyrinthia, after getting his badge stolen, Phoenix somehow ends up defending a Witch on trial for murder.
STORY
Let's start with the elephant in the room. This case is apparently a "fan-sequel" to The Enchanted Turnabout by Ana_, set in an alterate universe but also a sequel to Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright. I have not played that case, and technically you're not really supposed to enter non-standalone cases into competitions. But to be fair, I didn't list that in the rules, even if it's in the global comp rules. So I'll overlook that and judge this as if it were standalone. I think this case may have leaned on its source material a little too much in establishing its setting, but it did a decent job of catching the player up. If you haven't played Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, you'd be completely lost. Luckily, I have, and I'm a pretty big fan of it.

Unfortunately there's another elephant in the room, and that's that this case is unfinished. That isn't necessarily a death sentence for a case, as it's possible for an unfinished case to still give you a satisfying feeling. Hell, the past three competition winners were all unfinished cases. But in this case, it doesn't really accomplish that. It raises a lot of questions and doesn't answer any of them, and the trajectory of the story isn't really clear by the time it's over. Overall I think this case has potential (and I have some theories on where it might go), but I can't judge it on potential alone, so as is, nothing about the story really grabbed me. There were a number of small gags that didn't really land with me, and while there were a few plot threads that intrigued me, they were quickly brushed aside and not followed up on.

CHARACTERS
The characters in this case are kind of all over the place. There are a lot of references to events that the player has no clue about (unless you've played The Enchanted Turnabout, maybe?), and the case leans on these events for its characterization. Sometimes it feels like it's leaning on PLvsPW knowledge, while other times it's clearly not, so it's hard to tell how much the player is intended to be familiar with and how much they're not.

Phoenix himself is especially strange in his characterization. He goes from believing his client is a witch, being the one who calls for her arrest, and then reluctantly defending her (for some reason? I guess he's just bad at saying no?), and it was tough for me to get a handle on what they were going for with him. We also get a couple of witnesses, but they don't really seem to stand out much, at least so far, and since we don't really get much time with them, they're hard to get a read on.

PRESENTATION
The presentation was a mixed bag. On the plus side, the use of custom graphics and music was on point, and I think it enhanced the case pretty well. It did genuinely feel like I was playing a Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright case. But on the other hand, there were persistent grammar issues, and a lot of small graphical glitches that wouldn't be too noticeable on their own, but add up to create a kind of sloppy feeling. There was some inconsistency in the use of certain visual conventions as well. For example, sometimes, it would show Phoenix's portrait on screen when he's talking and happens to be slightly off screen, but other times it wouldn't. All minor issues, but they do add up.

There were some well made floor plans that served their purpose quite well and were nice to look at as well. All of the evidence was particularly well done, I'd say. With a bit more polish, I think this case could be a lot better.

GAMEPLAY
This was the best part of this case, I'd say. The multiple witness testimony system of PLvsPW and TGAA was well-implemented, and I had fun with it. The case logic made sense. I had to consult the walkthrough once, but it was definitely a "oh, I'm dumb, that was obvious" moment. If I have one complaint about the gameplay, it would be that during the investigation, many present options and investigation options just lead to blank dialogue. But overall, I had fun.

THEME RELEVANCE
Here's where it gets tricky. The case is short, but not because it's intended to be short. More like it's short because it's not finished. And as far as a sense of urgency goes, the case doesn't really do much with that. If you've played PLvsPW, you'll be familiar with what's at stake, but if not, then the stakes are essentially relegated to a footnote in the court record, and they aren't really capitalized on or dwelt upon at all.

There were way too many questions introduced for me to be confident that they'd be neatly wrapped up with the case still being as short as it is. Still, I think that if this case is finished and polished a bit, it has the potential to be very interesting. It did make me interested in playing The Enchanted Turnabout, so I guess it served well as an advertisment if nothing else.
PROS
  • Nice use of graphics and music
  • Well implemented gameplay systems, and good case logic so far
CONS
  • Seems to rely too much on external material for character motivations to make sense
  • Kind of unpolished. Even the finished parts of this case don't really feel finished
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
XavierWright

Post by XavierWright »

Thanks for the review on my case!
Spoiler : :
Yeah, i can see how it seems a bit rushed, given that I was very nervous about the whole time constraint thing, so I was worried about making too many frames.

As for adding more present stuff, I did actually plan to add more of those after I finished the trial portion of the case. I figured I'd have the time since the case is generally not meant to be longer than an hour and a half.

...Unfortunately, I underestimated my work with college, and as a result, I got the base case done a day before the comp, and I was nervous about not delivering on time lol. Rest assured that I'll be adding some after the comp.

Oh, as for the character being Benjamin Tennyson... Yeah, I wouldn't even consider him an 'AU Ben'. They share the same name, and some people they know may share the same name, but ultimately, they're both independent characters that have completely different lives. So, you don't need to watch Ben 10 to understand him.

As for why I chose that name in particular... I do like Ben 10, and I'm a weird guy. Sue me :XD:
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

Okay, done it... I've sent my case.
TimeAxis

Post by TimeAxis »

Congrats on your survival, Super legenda.

Anyway, here's another review:
The Turnabout Zone
by Trybien, Spongesonic, and eerew
Life is simply unfair.
First Ending: 13:33
Total: 58:46
Spoiler : Other Attempts :
3:37 (Second Ending)
5:38 (Third Ending)
5:39 (Fourth Ending)
5:22 (Fifth Ending)
4:58 (Sixth Ending)
6:53 (Seventh Ending)
5:29 (Eighth Ending)
7:32 (True End)
You have 5 minutes to solve a murder before the police show up to arrest you. Are you a bad enough dude to prove yourself innocent?
STORY
The dialogue in this case was well written, and the overall plot was very compelling. I enjoyed it a ton. Tone-wise, it was just the right balance of serious with a hint of silly (like the prosecutor's name being Ross Picutor). That being said, because it seems to be unfinished, some questions are left unanswered, but what is there was great. There were also branching paths, and the multiple endings were really cool.

CHARACTERS
The case featured all original characters, and somehow managed to squeeze in some great characterization into these 5 minute chunks. I got the feeling of playing through an Ace Attorney case without even playing through an Ace Attorney case, if that makes any sense. It probably doesn't. Some characters were left without much fleshing out, but the glimpses we got to see were enough to make me want to see more.

PRESENTATION
The presentation in this case was nothing short of immaculate. From custom graphics (including some beautiful cut-in title graphics), to great music choices and sound effects, as well as the way the gameplay systems were presented, it was all excellent. There's really nothing else to say. I had a smile the whole time I was playing, and the presentation played a huge part in that.

GAMEPLAY
Where this case really shines, even above all of its other qualities, however, is the gameplay. They've taken full advantage of AAO to make a fun Adventure Game that feels nothing like Ace Attorney, and yet is still extremely intuitive. It took me a lot of tries to finally get to the end, but at no point did I ever feel frustrated. Everything made sense, and some solutions felt clever. If I have one complaint at all, it's that there isn't more of it. The gameplay systems on display here are so well implemented and full of potential that it feels like a shame that this is all we get. But I'm not here to judge what this case isn't, just what it is. And what it is is very cool and fun.

THEME RELEVANCE
This entry was such a creative take on the theme, having gameplay take place in real-time 5-minute chunks that genuinely felt urgent, as you scrambled around to find as much evidence as you could. If this review feels a bit barebones, it's because I basically have nothing critical to say. I loved it.
PROS
  • Extremely creative and cool premise that makes great use of the theme
  • Fun and well implemented gameplay systems
  • Amazing presentation
  • Multiple endings were well done
CONS
  • It would be cool if there were more things to examine besides progression stuff
Oh, and the 24 hour grace period is now officially up, which means 9 entries is our total.
ImageImageImageImage
Gaiden Episodes
Champion of Turnabouts ★
HALLOWEEN HERO
Other
Spongesonic

Post by Spongesonic »

Thank you for the glowing review! And yeah, the reason it's not considered finished for now is because there's still stuff we wanna add in terms of endings, things to examine, ways to combine items, ect.
Winner of the "Broken Commandments" Case Competition
-------
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.

Misc. Information
Steam: spongesonic
Youtube: SpongesonicPictures
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Spoiler : Review and Sponge followup :
If we were sane, we could have just written a conclusion there... but we are not sane.